Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
That's why you get a computer with a carburetor instead of the fancy fuel injector ones. They're just tougher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

beanieson posted:

I bought some ants

Can I get a link? Asking for my 6 year old.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

JEEVES420 posted:

And yet I have never fried anything and have stuff still running over 10y without issue :iiam:

Your anecdotal evidence of not having fried anything points to you being lucky, not that static damage isn’t a thing. It is absolutely a thing.
Your computer components aren’t going to burst into flames because you’re not wearing an ESD band and they’re not going to be damaged 100% of the time. But anyone building a PC should make a point of grounding themselves and/or their tools before handling components.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Properly type-tested electronics should withstand ESD :colbert:

Enthusiastic former ESD-gun user in a type-testing lab some years ago

But yeah, it is good practice to wear a properly grounded wrist strap. Preferably on a ground plane.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Smashing Link posted:

Can I get a link? Asking for my 6 year old.

https://www.antsalive.com/

The ant farm was a Christmas gift, pretty sure they got it at Barnes & Noble. It came with a coupon for that website for like a dollar off. I ended up paying $6 for ~60 ants 🐜

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
i was at burlington shopping the clearance winter stuff for the kids for next year and picked up some new shoes

adidas pureboost

super comfy and a bit different than the more plain nikes that i usually have

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

beanieson posted:

https://www.antsalive.com/

The ant farm was a Christmas gift, pretty sure they got it at Barnes & Noble. It came with a coupon for that website for like a dollar off. I ended up paying $6 for ~60 ants 🐜

Thanks!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I had one of the old fashioned ant farms when I was a kid back in the seventies. At first it was fascinating, watching the industrious ants digging tunnels. But when they slowly started dying off I could see them dragging the dead ones to burial chambers. Eventually there was only one left and no ants left to bury it when it died.

No more ant farms for me after that.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Dick Trauma posted:

I had one of the old fashioned ant farms when I was a kid back in the seventies. At first it was fascinating, watching the industrious ants digging tunnels. But when they slowly started dying off I could see them dragging the dead ones to burial chambers. Eventually there was only one left and no ants left to bury it when it died.

No more ant farms for me after that.

Yeah, apparently if you manage to capture a queen and some worker drones from your yard or whatever that colony will live for a good while in your little farm but these guys will probably only last 4 or 5 months 🤷🏻‍♂️

It will teach my 8 year old a valuable lesson about life, love and loss.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
A new microphone I didn't really need.

An Audio-Technica Pro 31 stage/dynamic mic. I already have had a real studio condenser mic for years (AKG Perception 420) but wanted to try this one just to see if really loud recording, especially singing, would work out better overall. Still testing the gain/proximity differences, and recorded some takes with both simultaneously. I can tell the difference, but I don't know how to explain it.

So it's fun.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Lawen posted:

Your anecdotal evidence of not having fried anything points to you being lucky, not that static damage isn’t a thing. It is absolutely a thing.

I def get that strapping in can help protect components from static but in my years of working with computers, yeah people seriously exaggerate how delicate the components are.

It's plug n play Legos y'all, just put on the goofy little strap and don't stress too much about physically breaking anything

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

KingSlime posted:

I def get that strapping in can help protect components from static but in my years of working with computers, yeah people seriously exaggerate how delicate the components are.

It's plug n play Legos y'all, just put on the goofy little strap and don't stress too much about physically breaking anything

I've been building computers my whole life and never once had anything short out or snap.

A couple of bad cables and one MOBO that was DOA but I've never had a component fail because I was kickin' around some shag carpeting in my socks.

Hell, I watched a friend get frustrated with mounting a heatsink so much that it bent the board and everything still worked perfectly.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Some rather hard to find sour pickle beer

Looking forward to trying one on Saturday when this accursed loving dry January is over.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
that sounds loving great ice cold in the summer after a bike ride or run :stare:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Bottom Liner posted:

that sounds loving great ice cold in the summer after a bike ride or run :stare:

Tell me about it, right up my alley.

I love sour pickles, I drink pickle juice, have pickles with my beer, do pickle back shots, etc...

Is it more like a pickle-flavored beer, or closer to, say, a shandy, but with pickle juice instead of lemonade?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

And just like that I am deeply invested in getting pickle beer.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

I love sour pickles, I drink pickle juice, have pickles with my beer, do pickle back shots, etc...

Is it more like a pickle-flavored beer, or closer to, say, a shandy, but with pickle juice instead of lemonade?

I haven't tried this one yet, but based on their others, it won't be sweet like a shandy, at least. They do several other sours, and I've found them all quite tart and refreshing. I want to say it's based on their Salty Lady Gose, so if you've had any in that style, probably that + pickle.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

ReidRansom posted:

Some rather hard to find sour pickle beer

Looking forward to trying one on Saturday when this accursed loving dry January is over.

Delicious delicious delicious. You wont be disappointed!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Literally taste like pickle juice. That gets you drunk.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Delicious delicious delicious. You wont be disappointed!

Excellent! Looking forward to Saturday. Everything Martin house does is pretty great. True Love and Salty Lady have been my gotos for a while now, and I've been stocking a few of the other limited ones as I've come across them, the Plum Pudding and Blueberry ones.

And if you dig sours, check out Blue Owl out of Austin and Prairie Ales from somewhere up in OK. Both have pretty solid offerings.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

ReidRansom posted:

Excellent! Looking forward to Saturday. Everything Martin house does is pretty great. True Love and Salty Lady have been my gotos for a while now, and I've been stocking a few of the other limited ones as I've come across them, the Plum Pudding and Blueberry ones.

And if you dig sours, check out Blue Owl out of Austin and Prairie Ales from somewhere up in OK. Both have pretty solid offerings.

I actually hate sours! It was a "wild card" add in one of our goon beer exchanges and it was a home run grand slam hole in one.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I live down the street from Martin House so this post freaked me out. Glad to see they're more popular than I realized.

If you like pickle beers and are near Fort Worth, check out Hop Fusions El Gran Pepinillo. It's also very good!

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

DrBouvenstein posted:

Try a Pickletini, A martini but replace olive juice and olives for pickle juice and pickles. They are delicious.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

KingSlime posted:

JayzTwoCents did a video on this exact subject, being as fumble-y as possible and not following any good PC practice whatsoever. Build turned out fine

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Cable management also does jack poo poo for air flow. The fans work fine even if it's a jungle.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Inzombiac posted:

And just like that I am deeply invested in getting pickle beer.

Thread title.

Also drat pickle beer sounds amazing with some cookout burgers, dogs and a flimsy styrofoam plate of ruffle chips :cool:

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

These dudes have been busy

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Rolo posted:

Thread title.

Also drat pickle beer sounds amazing with some cookout burgers, dogs and a flimsy styrofoam plate of ruffle chips :cool:

I am legit obsessed with pickle flavored chips and goddamn I annoy stop thinking about pickle beer.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Zapps make some good pickle potato chips

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
fried pickles are good

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TotalLossBrain posted:

fried pickles are good
gently caress, I could really go for some fried pickles right about now

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I like bold sneakers.

I really like bold sneakers.

The price was right, so yes, they're the same exact shoe in different colors.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Cylindrical baking molds

For making Runeberg tarts (finnish tradition):

Almond (including bitter almond) based tarts with rum or arrack flavour.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

His Divine Shadow posted:

Cylindrical baking molds

For making Runeberg tarts (finnish tradition):

Almond (including bitter almond) based tarts with rum or arrack flavour.

Not to mention you now have the means to construct a cake dump truck with edible wheels!

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

LadyPictureShow posted:

I like bold sneakers.

I really like bold sneakers.

The price was right, so yes, they're the same exact shoe in different colors.

With shoes like that the rest of your outfit better not disappoint. You can't wear those out with jeans and a tee.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Mu Zeta posted:

Zapps make some good pickle potato chips

Golden Flake’s are better imo

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Either way "Golden Flake" might be the best name for a potato chip. Way better than Ruffles, Lays, Zapps. Pringles sounds like an ailment, since it rhymes with one.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Tayto Crisps is the best name because it sounds so Irish

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

colas posted:

Either way "Golden Flake" might be the best name for a potato chip. Way better than Ruffles, Lays, Zapps. Pringles sounds like an ailment, since it rhymes with one.

Yeah I had chicken Pringles when i was a kid

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Germany and France have a billion different types of paprika and curry Pringles. I was in high heaven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
My thrifted Air Maxes have bitten the dust so I’m replacing them with a pair of shoes I’ve always wanted. I had to buy them online so I bought a few pairs to check the fit, but I got 15% off! Fun fact: Kurt Cobain had the same pair of shoes on when he died.