Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Also ouch, lost every single 7th game in expedition to perfect-curve aggression vs my hand being stuck full of unplayable garbage, that's a lot of shards missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

i love to see heimerdinger emote. so far emotes have been really funny back and forth and i have had a good time with it, and i am glad they are there but also want riot to make more

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

pog boyfriend posted:

i love to see heimerdinger emote. so far emotes have been really funny back and forth and i have had a good time with it, and i am glad they are there but also want riot to make more

They should add conditional emotes, like when you play the card the duplicates your units and I play the ruination, that should be the only time it offers to let me use

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Had my longest match ever this morning. Dawnspiders versus a SI/Noxus deck. It went like 17 turns before I was able to just outlast and outswarm. Got the Shen emote (which I guess people are using as 'GG' shorthand now) before they surrendered when I had lethal up.

Honestly that felt really good to win, it was a loving slugfest. I was down two Dawnspeakers and was basically relying on recycling the 4/4 drop you get with Cursed Keeper. Really rough match.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I won with my spiders deck in 6 turns earlier. Felt good to just roll over someone like that after a frustrating morning of getting stopped just short of victory by Freljord decks.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

General Morden posted:

it's really dumb because I had to install and run LoL just so they could help me with my runeterra account

it's like 100% because of the really inept handling of how they chose to roll out the riot account system

I expected to find this game on the League launcher too at first. They've got like six games coming and didn't make a unified launcher, which is weird.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
I think Karma is pretty good, you guys.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

boredsatellite posted:

Did a 7 win expedition run with my 3 garens and Trynd.

Helped me out in situations like these

Thought I was hosed at the last matchup since I had to go against Zed and Hekarim deck but managed to go aggressive hard enough in the beginning to win.

Thanks ancient yeti, putting you out at turn 4 is so disgusting.

2nd trial did a more experimental deck and ended at 2 wins.

Overall seems like picking Demacian units is the best

Going 7 wins in the first expedition is great with how much it let's you experiment in the second. It let's you learn things like: Don't draft 6 will of ionias and then never play Yasuo. Also, probably don't pick Yasuo. Or how weak the Can't Block creatures really are

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Got 7 wins with heimer/shadow isles cataclysm (in free expedition) it was pretty good but I probably wouldn't want to run heimer without shadow isle spells for massive removal and glimpse from beyond card draw on your chump blockers, the 7th game ended up being against a heimer/lux which I only won because he committed a lot into a ruination and then the purrsuit came into play to end it.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
So and Ephemeral version of a unit that has captured an enemy will release that captured unit if they die.
I feel like it should be just the original.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

dudeness posted:

So and Ephemeral version of a unit that has captured an enemy will release that captured unit if they die.

If a copied unit keeps the stat buff status effect, it should keep the captured status effect

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

Fallen Rib

Prokhor posted:

If a copied unit keeps the stat buff status effect, it should keep the captured status effect

Yeah, but it's just kinda weird how, theoretically this unit is captured by three units at once.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

dudeness posted:

On the other hand, I had an ephemeral summon be captured and then come back as just the base version of the card -- not ephemeral at all

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

dudeness posted:

Yeah, but it's just kinda weird how, theoretically this unit is captured by three units at once.

I mean I do enjoy the idea of Zed like kidnapping Garen and you pop his shadow clone and there's just ANOTHER Garen

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

So I'm totally lost as to how the priority/stack system works in this game.

I have a couple units I want to attack with and a fast kill spell in my hand, and the opponent has one blocker. What order do I do things in such that I can both kill the blocker and attack? Because I tried attacking and then using the kill spell, thinking it would work anything like how every other card game with fast/instant spells does, but it just sat there in the middle of the board and let the opponent block anyways.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

The Shortest Path posted:

I have a couple units I want to attack with and a fast kill spell in my hand, and the opponent has one blocker. What order do I do things in such that I can both kill the blocker and attack? Because I tried attacking and then using the kill spell, thinking it would work anything like how every other card game with fast/instant spells does, but it just sat there in the middle of the board and let the opponent block anyways.

Attacking and blocking happen simultaneously, you can't declare an attack AND prevent somone from blocking. The only option to remove a blocker is to remove them on a prior turn or phase.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Prokhor posted:

Attacking and blocking happen simultaneously, you can't declare an attack AND prevent somone from blocking. The only option to remove a blocker is to remove them on a prior turn or phase.

Yeah it's like Magic in that way. Once a minion is blocked, it stays blocked no matter what happens. Magic originally didn't work that way and it was a disaster. Believe it or not, it's better this way :)

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

If you can't be right, be confusing.

The Shortest Path posted:

Yea it's weird. You have a couple options.

1) Remove enemy at end of your opponent's turn. Then on your turn, attack before playing anything (i.e. you attack before passing priority). This prevents them from responding/playing additional blockers.
2) Remove enemy at beginning of your turn. Enemy can respond with fast spells, and also play another blocker (which is obviously not ideal).
3) If you've got overwhelm units, bounce/stun/kill the blocker after it's been declared blocking.

TLDR: Playing creatures or spells (Fast/Slow) or attacking will pass priority to an opponent.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Prokhor posted:

It would be possible if the removal spell was 'Burst' speed. But I don't think any 'Burst' speed removal spells currently exist.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

.Z. posted:

It would be possible if the removal spell was 'Burst' speed. But I don't think any 'Burst' speed removal spells currently exist.

It would be possible, but you would still need to do it on the phase that you intend to attack, but before you actually have declared the attack

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Prokhor posted:

It would be possible, but you would still need to do it on the phase that you intend to attack, but before you actually have declared the attack
Nah burst spells still resolve instantly, even during combat.

Although they also don't pass priority so I guess you could do it any time.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Just for my own curiosity, how ones overwhelm interact with barrier? Does the barrier absorb it all or is it like Magic’s trample/indestructible interaction?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I don't know how but I didn't realize until last night that your Champion's level up conditions (e.g. I have seen you do 5 such and such) keep track even when you haven't drawn the champion yet and it's still in your deck. So if you have a champion that needs you to freeze 5 dudes to level up, you don't have to wait until she's in your hand or on the board to start freezing dudes.

I'm sure most of you are saying, "No poo poo, Sherlock", but if anyone else is as dense as me, well, now you know.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

Fallen Rib

Imagined posted:

I don't know how but I didn't realize until last night that your Champion's level up conditions (e.g. I have seen you do 5 such and such) keep track even when you haven't drawn the champion yet and it's still in your deck. So if you have a champion that needs you to freeze 5 dudes to level up, you don't have to wait until she's in your hand or on the board to start freezing dudes.

I'm sure most of you are saying, "No poo poo, Sherlock", but if anyone else is as dense as me, well, now you know.

It depends, Lux for example needs to be played first.

e: Or maybe the words are different on hers.

e2: Nope, it says "seen".

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Imagined posted:

This actually depends on the Champion. Zed needs for THAT COPY to hit the Nexus twice (or his clones), and if he doesn't you don't get the level up. Fiora needs THAT COPY to kill 4 units and survive to win. Essentially the way it works is as follows:

• "I've <text>": that copy of the Champion needs to be the one doing the actions. Fiora, Garen, and others work this way.
  • "I've seen <text>": that copy of the Champion needs to be in play for the effect to trigger. Lucian, Shen, and others work this way.
  • "You've <text>": the Champion does not need to be in hand or in play in order to get progress towards their level up. Yasuo, Ashe, and others work this way.

Of note is that leveled up Champions stay leveled up even if they've been killed or recalled, and all copies of the Champion still in your deck are also leveled up.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
See, I'm still slow.

But honestly part of what I enjoy about this game versus every previous CCG (and I've played a lot) is that it works differently enough that I'm having to rethink assumptions and learn new mechanics.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

dudeness posted:

This is how it worked in hearthstone, when you copy a exact unit, you copy a EXACT unit and it will copy whatever other units it swallowed.

I imagine by the next expansion you'll see cards like

Zaun Cloning Vat.

0/1
Captures a allied unit.
Last breath: release two of the captured units.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 29, 2020

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Boxman posted:

Just for my own curiosity, how ones overwhelm interact with barrier? Does the barrier absorb it all or is it like Magic’s trample/indestructible interaction?

ive only done it once but it was when someone tried to block the lethal i had thru overwhelm with barrier and it didnt work, seemed to calculate it exactly the same with the barrier just stopping specifically the damage taken by the unit

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

misguided rage posted:

Nah burst spells still resolve instantly, even during combat.

Although they also don't pass priority so I guess you could do it any time.

A thing to note is that Burst Spells don't past priority, but they do extend it.

Like, if you use a mushroom card at the end of a turn after an opponent has passed, they can still act even if you only use burst spells and passed (Similar for Combat, it can keep precombat going long as well)

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Im getting roped...

intentionally getting mega roped.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

Buller posted:

Im getting roped...

intentionally getting mega roped.

Im not gonna surrender dude, this is my knockout game in an expedition-

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Prokhor posted:

This is really gross and I hate it, but thanks. :smith:

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Studio posted:

Going 7 wins in the first expedition is great with how much it let's you experiment in the second. It let's you learn things like: Don't draft 6 will of ionias and then never play Yasuo. Also, probably don't pick Yasuo. Or how weak the Can't Block creatures really are

I've come to value early mana cost minions much more when drafting like I did with my first expedition and don't draft Avianna

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Found an interesting interaction that cost me a match today, if you put a frostbitten zed into combat and buff him with attack power so he can still fight, the clone will spawn with frostbite and not get the buff you applied to him! [Sad Poro Sticker]

Oh another interesting interaction that didn't cost me a match but was a total facepalm: Silencing a unit that has detained your unit and then killing it does NOT give you your unit back! It's just vanished into the ether. (I had originally hoped silence would return the unit, silly me.)

mistaya fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 29, 2020

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Was the buff a burst spell, a combat buff, or a fast spell?

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

Fallen Rib

mistaya posted:

Found an interesting interaction that cost me a match today, if you put a frostbitten zed into combat and buff him with attack power so he can still fight, the clone will spawn with frostbite and not get the buff you applied to him! [Sad Poro Sticker]

Oh another interesting interaction that didn't cost me a match but was a total facepalm: Silencing a unit that has detained your unit and then killing it does NOT give you your unit back! It's just vanished into the ether. (I had originally hoped silence would return the unit, silly me.)

If it's intended then I'm gonna capture enemies and silence my own guys hehehehe

rath
Apr 25, 2005
I should be learning code instead of posting on the boards.

Pictured shortly before he suicided on a Glimpse Beyond. Teemo is great fun in Expeditions, highly recommend.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Studio posted:

Was the buff a burst spell, a combat buff, or a fast spell?

Burst, the +8+4 Freljord one. To be clear on order of operations I was frostbitten on the bench, then set up the attackers, then cast the buff, then hit attack and let the shadow spawn assuming it'd have the boosted stats. Maybe if I had done it from the bench it'd have worked? I'm not certain when the shadows snapshot.

Actually thinking about it I read the text on the shadow and it read -8 (frostbitten) (zed would have been 12/x with the buff since he had a +1 from a mentor) so maybe it spawns the shadow, then applies the debuff? In which case it did apply the buff card, and only the buff card, and then RE-frostbit him. This seems like a funky interaction that might need to be reported to the devs.

dudeness posted:

If it's intended then I'm gonna capture enemies and silence my own guys hehehehe

This may be actual genius. Are there other silences besides Purify?

mistaya fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 29, 2020

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

There is that 3/3 that silences if you played a spell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Looks like those are the only two so far. Mageseeker Investigator is enemy follower only, but Purify is any follower. Detain is also in Demacia of course so that combo is very available if you want to try it out.

Silence can probably combo very nicely with some of the cheap, overstatted Ephemerals in SI since it removes Ephemeral from your unit (SI and Ionia also have cards that do this.)