Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

"Cookies, Honey, Tangerines, Manure—These Birds Have Some Strange Scents"

So if you mixed these smells together would you describe them as............................... Rotten cookies?

RoboRodent posted:

He touched me, on purpose, when I asked him to.
I would cry big tears of joy if this happened to me

Kenshin posted:

Yep, I have always done this with Auri.
Side question, did you get that name from the Kingkiller chronicles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Rotten Cookies posted:

Side question, did you get that name from the Kingkiller chronicles?
Yes, since there are a lot of personality similarities

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Rotten Cookies posted:

"Cookies, Honey, Tangerines, Manure—These Birds Have Some Strange Scents"

So if you mixed these smells together would you describe them as............................... Rotten cookies?

Parrot kush

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Rotten Cookies posted:

I would cry big tears of joy if this happened to me

I did get a little emotional. I definitely cried the first time he took a shower, but that was one of his first big steps out of his shell.

Of course, I've come home after being gone for a few hours and Ozzy bit me when I opened the cage. Oh well. Recovery is not linear. I'm not sure he can always help it.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

This is Sam. She’s a Sulfur crested cockatoo.

My boyfriend and I found her on one of our neighbourhood walks with Alfi the galah. She was in someone’s backyard, in a tiny cage where she couldn’t even stretch her wings and the only stimulation she had was when her owner squirted water at her for screaming too much. Her diet was just sunflower seeds and we were told her owner’s deceased partner used to scream at Sam and hit the cage.

We finally worked up the courage this week to ask the owner if they would be interested in selling the bird, because it was killing us that this bird would be spending the rest of its long life like that. Turns out that they had tried to sell Sam before with no luck, as she has had a weird growth on her cloaca for a few months and the owner was struggling to find a vet who could come visit her at home. Sam is fiercely cage bound, and refuses to be moved.

Luckily when we came by I saw that the cage was small enough to fit in the back of a Polo and suggested just bringing the cage to a vet. We left the owner with my boyfriend’s number and let her know that if needed he could help out with getting Sam to the vet. He got a call yesterday saying that we could have Sam.

My boyfriend picked her up today and they’re at the vet right now. We’re hoping that everything is ok, as the plan is to give Sam to a friend who has an aviary if there aren’t any major problems.

I guess I just wanted to post because it’s a reminder that sometimes you can do good things for birds in awful situations. My boyfriend reports that’s she’s a lovely bird, who is even gentler than Alfi. Here’s hoping that everything works out for Sam. :shobon:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'm not crying you're crying

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!

Hardwood Floor posted:

Thank you for the input! I bookmarked the breeder, it's cool that they have a help line for pigeon questions. Also, do they need to have grit alongside the seed?

My dream pigeon is a Lahore pigeon just because of how gorgeous they are, but I'd like to start with something like a King because I've heard they're hardier/make better pets.

But seriously, pigeons have no right looking as pretty as Lahores are:

They do need grit offered alongside or mixed in with the seed, especially if you end up with a hen. They'll lay eggs year-round regardless of how much light they get in the seasons. That said, if you do get a hen, I would also recommend getting fake eggs to swap out.

I hear Lahores have very sassy personalities and tend to be more independent, and yes they're very incredibly pretty and I love them! Kings are one of the larger pigeon breeds (they can get to the size of a chicken iirc!) so you'd need a larger crate for them.

Kitfox88 posted:

:kimchi:

Also weren't pidgins bred for things like pretty colors and stuff? I was under the impression that the reason they're everywhere in urban areas was that they were popular pets or such at some time

Eventually they were! Pigeons were actually fully domesticated and then there came a point where it just wasn't cool to have them anymore so now we have all those feral populations in the cities.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Pigeons and doves possibly make better pets than parrots do.

For the record, some years back a friend of the family took in a dove with some sort of untreatable tumour, intending to give her a comfortable home in her last few months. The bird ended up living another two years, despite all medical opinion to the contrary, but she was a gentle sweetheart for those two years, just happy to be alive.

Anyway one of my sisters is just very uncomfortable with birds, she is a cat person, birds as pets are just not a thing she enjoys because I guess some people want less strife with their pets, but she loved that dove.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Pigeons have definitely been properly domesticated for millennia unlike parrots. They also seem more chill with sitting around doing gently caress all where a parrot would go batty, in my experience. Everyone I've met who kept both reckons pigeons are definitely much better first time pets than parrots at any rate. The main reasons people have against getting them are common misconceptions about pigeons as a whole - that they are stupid, dirty, etc. They are plenty smart, poo poo as much as a parrot (and shred less), and don't have any more disease than any other pet bird. Obviously if you kidnap one off the street it will probably have bubonic pigeon plague and too many/not enough toes and everything else.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
Dear everyone,

May this video bring as much joy to you as it did me.

https://youtu.be/_hPE4qeUVMY

(Its pig making GBS threads)

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Pigeons have definitely been properly domesticated for millennia unlike parrots. They also seem more chill with sitting around doing gently caress all where a parrot would go batty, in my experience. Everyone I've met who kept both reckons pigeons are definitely much better first time pets than parrots at any rate. The main reasons people have against getting them are common misconceptions about pigeons as a whole - that they are stupid, dirty, etc. They are plenty smart, poo poo as much as a parrot (and shred less), and don't have any more disease than any other pet bird. Obviously if you kidnap one off the street it will probably have bubonic pigeon plague and too many/not enough toes and everything else.

I really think anything bigger than a finch should require a higher bar of entry than fourteen bucks at a chain petstore. I don't like the thought of an over regulated world, but deep down I feel like parrots should require some sort of license. ESPECIALLY big parrot. Most people cannot conceptualize the next year of their life. They shouldn't be buying the animal kingdom's biggest genius that will more than likely outlive them.

gently caress, Serra could live twenty-five years. (Hopefully even more.) If she makes it that long, I'll be seventy. Hell, if I even make it that long. (Outlook is uncertain :) )

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

This is wonderful, I hope Sam finds a happy home thanks to your rescue

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

good morning blink blink

https://i.imgur.com/mhOGajf.mp4

modedit to fix link :)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 30, 2020

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

little_firebird posted:

Kings are one of the larger pigeon breeds (they can get to the size of a chicken iirc!)
:stare: do they fly?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

yoshesque posted:

She was in someone’s backyard, in a tiny cage where she couldn’t even stretch her wings and the only stimulation she had was when her owner squirted water at her for screaming too much.
Do you happen to remember the street address?

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!

HEY GUNS posted:

:stare: do they fly?

Yes, but not very well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KDdhgNkJvs

(This is a giant runt, which is about the same size or larger than a utility king. Both are typically bred for meat so they're all pretty heckin' chonky. Also vid is not my bird.)

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Guys you are not helping me not get a pigeon :argh:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

subpar anachronism posted:

Guys you are not helping me not get a pigeon :argh:

Literally me

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

I think my budgie hen may successfully mother a brood this time.
She's 6 years old and shares a cage with a male, and they've definitely been fertilizing :stare:

In the past I've discouraged her- and she didn't seem to understand how to care for her eggs anyway! (Last time she laid one in a snuggle tent and sat on top of the tent instead of on the eggs.)

But this time, she's interested in the eggs and actually sits on them and nestles them in tissue!

I want to help give the eggs the best chance of survival, but I don't know how. I offered her a homemade cardboard nest box, but she hated it! As it stands, the nest is a pile of tissues on the cage floor.
I'm giving her extra cuttlebones and egg food, but what can I do for the eggs?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

little_firebird posted:

Yes, but not very well:

(This is a giant runt, which is about the same size or larger than a utility king. Both are typically bred for meat so they're all pretty heckin' chonky. Also vid is not my bird.)
oohhhh he's tryin'!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

bird: *acts like he wants to go to his pellets*

No it’s fine bird I can just stand here I don’t mind

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

Today is Nugget's 12 year birdversary :toot: :toot::toot:

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Our two little idiots being borbs. Rhys the Cochin on the left and Blippi/Sarah on the right is a Barred Rock. They're fun and regularly give us edible presents.

Sorry about the quality, but if I was outside they would have just ran right at me for food and ruined borb status.

Explosionface fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 31, 2020

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

little_firebird posted:

Yes, but not very well:

That is a very large pigeon

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

This looks like that look that Zoolander has.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Explosionface posted:

Our two little idiots being borbs. Rhys the Cochin on the left and Blippi/Sarah on the right is a Barred Rock. They're fun and regularly give us edible presents.

Sorry about the quality, but if I was outside they would have just ran right at me for food and ruined borb status.
choooks :3:

Happy birdiversary Nugget!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

theHUNGERian posted:

This looks like that look that Zoolander has.

Ahahaha you're so right!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Ugh, Serra just had her worst night fright.

Her wings are battered and she seems to have lost a fair amount of blood. But on the good side, she isn’t actively bleeding. Spent fifteen minutes on the phone with the vet who said she doesn’t feel the need to see her because there is no active bleeding. My father heard it get started and it happened from Yellow bumbling off her perch.

Take Aways from Vet -

- Cockatiels do better with a semi covered cage and a cover they’re able to slightly see through
- Cockatiels do better with a night light

Serra is, on Vet’s Orders, going to be sleeping in her travel cage for the next week.

Cockatiels. Cockatiels never change.

Thanks for listening. Serra is now demanding scritches. :derptiel:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm going to try the night light with Nemo.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
A few days ago, I swapped her to a proper, purpose sewn black cage cover to try and help the very occasional night fright problem. I think I unintentionally made it worse.

I also got Yellow a bunch of elderly bird flat perches, but they are still just staring at them to make sure they aren’t a snek.

Even if I have to carry her cage through to my room each night, I think Serra and the parakeets are done sleeping next to each other.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Oh no! Get better soon, Serra

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Oh poor thing, hope everyone’s feeling better soon.

Not that I’m any font of bird wisdom, but we generally have a couple of towels draping the top 2/3 of the cage, and across the room we have a hue bulb that is covered with a towel and dimmed at night to provide some gently illumination, and it seems to work out well. Traditionally our guy sleeps on a 12-hour schedule.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Serra is my third cockatiel and I’ve had them most of my life. Serra is both the smartest, but most easily startled cockatiel I’ve ever owned.

I changed my ways because of the issue with elderly Yellow causing Serra to have commotions, but I think I’m going to go back to the excellent advice both given in this thread and by the vet.

Which means I’ll probably start letting Serra sleep in my room with her cage. I’m a light sleeper and can deal with a night fright quickly when I hear them start.

The whole Quantum Cockatiel Conundrum is always fun. (Startled + excited + scared + SNEK + treats? + TREATS!!! = Cockatiel demeanor)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

It’s funny, Alex is a super heavy sleeper and if you wake him up he makes adorable grunting sounds. One day that I still feel bad about: he got left outside of his cage with it closed back when we were still making him and Hedy comfortable. The light was on and we didn’t get home until like 11pm. I checked on him and freaked out when I couldn’t find him until I saw the lump underneath the towel on top the cage so he could get away from the light. 😭

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

mediaphage posted:

It’s funny, Alex is a super heavy sleeper and if you wake him up he makes adorable grunting sounds. One day that I still feel bad about : he got left outside of his cage with it closed back when we were still making him and Hedy comfortable. The light was on and we didn’t get home until like 11pm. I checked on him and freaked out when I couldn’t find him until I saw the lump underneath the towel on top the cage so he could get away from the light. 😭

Aaaaw that’s adorable.

Wandy, my last cockatiel who was an ancient rescue bird, was unbelievably chill her only passion other than me and my Dad? Cheese Nips. She apparently lived on Cheerios and Cheese Nips for a large portion of her life.

She got out while I was at work twice. First time, I came home and found her sleeping on top of the cage after having upwards of twelve hours to explore. The second time? She was sleeping on top of the fridge on a closed box of Cheese Nips - which she only got maybe once a week. She didn’t get in the box, but she looked soooooo smug.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

mediaphage posted:

It’s funny, Alex is a super heavy sleeper and if you wake him up he makes adorable grunting sounds. One day that I still feel bad about : he got left outside of his cage with it closed back when we were still making him and Hedy comfortable. The light was on and we didn’t get home until like 11pm. I checked on him and freaked out when I couldn’t find him until I saw the lump underneath the towel on top the cage so he could get away from the light. 😭

Mochi is also not a fan of being abruptly woken. Just one long "nnnnnnnnnnnnnngh" groan from under the covers when I get up in the morning, or occasionally if I accidentally bump his cage a little tiny "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah". You see, the cover is on, so it is still sleep time, and we are quiet at sleep time. I feel you, bud.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Captain Log posted:

Aaaaw that’s adorable.

Wandy, my last cockatiel who was an ancient rescue bird, was unbelievably chill her only passion other than me and my Dad? Cheese Nips. She apparently lived on Cheerios and Cheese Nips for a large portion of her life.

She got out while I was at work twice. First time, I came home and found her sleeping on top of the cage after having upwards of twelve hours to explore. The second time? She was sleeping on top of the fridge on a closed box of Cheese Nips - which she only got maybe once a week. She didn’t get in the box, but she looked soooooo smug.

Ahaha.

Me, trying to sneak a picture:

https://i.imgur.com/kqkgi4P.mp4

modedit to fix link

Somebody fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 1, 2020

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I feel like this will be appreciated here.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Science diagrams that look like shitposts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
If being eccentric bird person also makes one a psychopath, could someone please tell me how to stop constantly worrying about every way I've ever offended everyone in my life for an hour before I go to bed every night? If I don't examine every single one of my failings, in depth, at least twice a day I'm pretty sure I'd turn into a pumpkin.

K, thanks! :downs: