Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

It's that time of the year again when DF bug tracker is the most amusing part of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Not really much to jump into just yet, imo, not until part two at least.

Although easier aquifers and fancier temples are choice, at least. Finally, we can dump all those useless peasants into a nunnery.

I think guilds might end up having superfluous meetings and denying work, tho...

and one day you're going to have to go into the military interface and assign mounts for your dwarves. that they're then going to lose in battle occasionally.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Nice to see dwarven parents taking the time to play with their children.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Seriously didn't expect this! :aaa:

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Still don't understand why anyone gives snake people arms

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Gamerofthegame posted:

I think guilds might end up having superfluous meetings and denying work, tho...

Unionize your dwarves!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Are the new features any good?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Lawman 0 posted:

Are the new features any good?

quote:

Can pet animals in adventure mode

quote:

Can pet animals in adventure mode

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Siljmonster posted:

Still don't understand why anyone gives snake people arms

Because a snake person without arms is just a snake

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Leal posted:

Elves came out of their trees to pet my horse.

This gives me ideas.
Are there particular animals that elves seem to like more than others?
Are they fireproof?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Here we go folks

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I bet those fuckin elves would just die to see a real life unicorn.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I wonder if it's possible to sneak into a goblin fort, steal a barely-tame beak dog, gift it to someone you don't like, and wait for the inevitable to happen.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

markus_cz posted:

It's that time of the year again when DF bug tracker is the most amusing part of the game.

As a father of 3, the baby one checks out.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

reignofevil posted:

I bet those fuckin elves would just die to see a real life unicorn.

In some old version ~10 years ago I entered a forest retreat and the elves were fighting with an unicorn and strangling a fox.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

yesssss slay king

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Angry Diplomat posted:

The last I saw of my trusty bull, he was lying comfortably in the grass outside the Lady's hall while a pair of cats circled around him, headbutting him affectionately.

I mean, this is how I want to spend my twilight days.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
https://twitter.com/CanYouPetTheDog/status/1222525097057161216
https://twitter.com/twheany/status/1222614602917318659

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Incredible

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

[rises from the ground, moss and cobwebs peeling away] i should touch this again

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Did toady say when mounts are coming to fort mode?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Lawman 0 posted:

They'll be coming during the next siege :getin:

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

scamtank posted:

[rises from the ground, moss and cobwebs peeling away] i should touch this again

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lawman 0 posted:

markus_cz posted:

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Can we please change the thread title to anaconda man cannot pet the dog?

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

scamtank posted:

I haven't touched this game since I think when multi-tile trees were introduced, just how debilitating to play is the "tantrum spirals are now inevitable, not just likely" behavior I keep hearing about?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Is it possible to use tilesets that were made on a previous version?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Kobold kamp (the vanilla lite one) got updated if anyone wants something to gently caress around in

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Kerning Chameleon posted:

I haven't touched this game since I think when multi-tile trees were introduced, just how debilitating to play is the "tantrum spirals are now inevitable, not just likely" behavior I keep hearing about?

I don’t know what earlier versions were like, but dwarves will absolutely get stressed out and depressed about anything even remotely discomforting.

I don’t mind the happiness system in theory, but it needs some serious situational tweaking. Dwarves who have been professional hunters for years can freak out and lose their poo poo over seeing a dead animal.

Making sure non-military dwarves absolutely under no circumstances ever witness any form of violence or death is apparently a basic design principle you have to keep in mind when designing a fort, which feels pretty dumb.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

You can set dwarf stress vulnerability to zero in the creature files and it significantly lowers them freaking out about stuff. I still occasionally see dwarves go through the downward stress spiral but it was a lot less likely to happen.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Vichan posted:

Is it possible to use tilesets that were made on a previous version?

If new tiles were introduced they won't work right, but otherwise they should.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

necrotic posted:

If new tiles were introduced they won't work right, but otherwise they should.

I'm not super sure about that though, because doesn't a lot of tilesets replace some of the raws and data files using the older versions info?

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

How do I generate a world that isn't immediately 100% goblins?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Stress being bad enough that tantrum spirals were inevitable was fixed very quickly. Stress being bad enough that 90% of dwarves have an expiration date and it's just a question of when they get depressed and then go crazy has not, and it's hard to tell if it's even a bug or working as intended.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Imapanda posted:

I'm not super sure about that though, because doesn't a lot of tilesets replace some of the raws and data files using the older versions info?

this is the thing, yeah

the tilesets may need to change a line or two inside a creature's definition, and that means the modder needs to supply the whole file

if you have winmerge or some other diff-tool at hand, it's pretty trivial to take the changes in the old tileset-raws and put them where they need to be in the new, current ones

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Stress being bad enough that tantrum spirals were inevitable was fixed very quickly. Stress being bad enough that 90% of dwarves have an expiration date and it's just a question of when they get depressed and then go crazy has not, and it's hard to tell if it's even a bug or working as intended.

the priests might help against that a great deal, now

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Apparatu there are big league loyalty cascades now. So I might wait until it gets another bug fixing pass

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Is lazy noob pack still a thing? I haven't played in a while and never seriously got into the game so I'm afraid to try out the new version if stuff like that hasn't been updated

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Imapanda posted:

Tilesets are just the tiles. Graphical sets update the raws.

The tilesets is just a single image of sprites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Can you offset the slow onset of depression by having all dwarves regularly engage in summary execution of goblin prisoners? So they become numb to the sight of death