Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Chair In A Basket posted:

Just getting back from Beijing today. NBD not sick in any ways. Driver on the way to the airport looked a little off, but who knows it's China. Can't wait to get to the Superbowl this weekend! Go Chiefs!

Enjoy rooting for your team, coughing in people's mouths, spitting on doorknobs, etc!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Celebrate by spitting in the mouths of your fellow fans

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

i am harry posted:

This is insane.

I looked at a map and Baibuting Garden is like 1 square mile of buildings....40,000 people............

WUHAN CLAN AIN'T NOTHIN TO gently caress WITH

WUHAN CLAN AIN'T NOTHIN TO gently caress WITH

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Make sure you go to Vegas next and lick all the spin buttons.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Chrs posted:

This bit:

Is he saying that its only having serious effect on about 1 in 5 people?

20% is great numbers, huge numbers, some of the best numbers ever.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Philthy posted:

Make sure you go to Vegas next and lick all the spin buttons.

Holy poo poo this

JACKPOT

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Don't do it I'm a degenerate gambler and I don't want to die

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Philthy posted:

Keep seeing on the news of US locals who are in quarantine zones in China for vacation/family/work and they can't come home and they're pleading to be evacuated out.

What part of quarantine do you not understand?

Going by the article from the Wuhan journalist, they understand arguably as much about quarantines as the CCP, which suddenly announced the first at 2am after over a month of prohibiting hospitals or clinics from releasing any information on the novel virus that had appeared weeks prior while pretending everything was fine and punishing anyone who suggested otherwise.

Quarantining massive cities is something that has never been done before and which the WHO didn't think would be effective in the first place, and it's now very obvious that it was never going to be effective even if implemented perfectly given that it was about 5 weeks too late. There aren't really any contingency plans or anything to support the quarantined cities or enable them to continue functioning in terms of waste management, supplies, etc.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://mobile.twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1222646525811142656

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

noo, not south korea. hope none of the kpop waifus die.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Article from 2017.

quote:

Is China Ground Zero for a Future Pandemic?

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/china-ground-zero-future-pandemic-180965213/

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Goddamn, the virus they are talking about in there has a 40% fatality rate

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Keeps getting worse in Wuhan - the CCP really hosed up by not calling for people to take precautions earlier.

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1222646525811142656

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
SCMP has death toll at 170.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Cugel the Clever posted:

SCMP has death toll at 170.

BNO has 169 - 162 is only for Hubei province - there have been 7 deaths outside of Hubei.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Sab0921 posted:

Keeps getting worse in Wuhan - the CCP really hosed up by not calling for people to take precautions earlier.

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1222646525811142656

Is it worse though Or is reporting just getting better

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Add another 500+ from around China.

So it went from about 6,000 to 7,800

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1222668445013159941

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug
Is that just the morning report right? I recall they said they were going to do two reports a day

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Luckyellow posted:

Is that just the morning report right? I recall they said they were going to do two reports a day

They gave a press conference in the afternoon yesterday, but didn't update the numbers.

Doomtalker
Dec 10, 2019

Chair In A Basket posted:

Just getting back from Beijing today. NBD not sick in any ways. Driver on the way to the airport looked a little off, but who knows it's China. Can't wait to get to the Superbowl this weekend! Go Chiefs!

You're not backing the 49ers, and therefore deserve your fate.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
The official numbers are not jivving with the first hand accounts I'm seeing of overwhelmed funeral homes, etc. Either the chinese posters/translators I'm reading are LARPing or the official deathtoll numbers are bullshit.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Delta-Wye posted:

The official numbers are not jivving with the first hand accounts I'm seeing of overwhelmed funeral homes, etc. Either the chinese posters/translators I'm reading are LARPing or the official deathtoll numbers are bullshit.

hmm. what could it be

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Delta-Wye posted:

TBH they could be doing the same thing they do when they report flu deaths. They only report it as a death if the flu was the direct cause not if you had some other issues and the flu pretty much did you in.

Like person has cancer or whatever and they caught this poo poo and died they would count it as cancer being the cause not this poo poo.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

mike12345 posted:

noo, not south korea. hope none of the kpop waifus die.

maybe the need to be slowed down a bit so they stop running away from you

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Delta-Wye posted:

Kinda feels like that scene at the end of Ghostwatch where they realise the calm live feed they’re watching of the haunted house is pre-recorded and when they reboot the system they find that it’s actually in loving turmoil.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/...r%3D529%23pti17

That's not a great sign

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
so it looks like it's tracking to be less deadly than SARS, but much, much more infectious

which means it'll probably kill more people than SARS in the long run

fun

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

so it looks like it's tracking to be less deadly than SARS, but much, much more infectious

which means it'll probably kill more people than SARS in the long run

fun
There are only 8000 recorded cases of SARS. The Wuhan Flu will pass that in confirmed cases tomorrow.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

FlamingLiberal posted:

There are only 8000 recorded cases of SARS. The Wuhan Flu will pass that in confirmed cases tomorrow.

yeah I mean that's what I posted

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
also what'd that 8,000 take, 18 months?

it's breaking that in six weeks

naem
May 29, 2011

are we all dead yet

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

naem posted:

are we all dead yet

its a process

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

MarcusSA posted:

TBH they could be doing the same thing they do when they report flu deaths. They only report it as a death if the flu was the direct cause not if you had some other issues and the flu pretty much did you in.

Like person has cancer or whatever and they caught this poo poo and died they would count it as cancer being the cause not this poo poo.

My mother had end stage copd, so of course the first bad flu she caught killed her. I wonder if that was listed as a flu death.

naem
May 29, 2011

Despera posted:

its a process

wake me when we get there

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

VikingSkull posted:

also what'd that 8,000 take, 18 months?

it's breaking that in six weeks

8000 was basically in 2 months. After that, infections were extremely limited.

This will break it a shorter time and is seemingly still in growth phase. I wonder if it's just because of the mobility of the Chinese population now vs then, but not sure since the vast majority of people infected are still in Hubei.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

My mother had end stage copd, so of course the first bad flu she caught killed her. I wonder if that was listed as a flu death.

If she was in the US then yes. If she was in China then no.

There was that infographic floating around a few days ago which claims that china only has like 150 flu deaths a year while the US has like 80,000 or whatever.

The US records it as a flu death if they died while having the flu even if there were underlying medical conditions... china does not.

China #1.

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

Kinda interesting that we haven't heard of any cases in NY. I work in Flushing, which is like the Chinatown of Queens. My wife works in Chinatown in Manhattan, which is like Little Italy but for Chinese people. Dense areas, many older folk, lots of people traveling to and from China, etc. My boss was handing out masks, but just the little ones. Me, I'm just washing my hands frequently, stuff like that. Hoping for the best.

We had been planning on traveling to HK in the spring, but uhhh we're not gonna do that now, better safe than sorry.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
I live 4000 feet from SFO and we haven't even had any cases

The polity I live in is 49% asian, something like 30% PRC

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow
Strongly considering walking to and from work instead of public transit for the foreseeable future. It would add an hour to my day. I get coughed on / near by randos on the bus and yecchhh

No reported cases here yet. Chances are when that happens it's going to be soon, it will be distributed in common areas, and I truly don't want to get super plague from bus germs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

TheWeepingHorse posted:

Kinda interesting that we haven't heard of any cases in NY. I work in Flushing, which is like the Chinatown of Queens. My wife works in Chinatown in Manhattan, which is like Little Italy but for Chinese people. Dense areas, many older folk, lots of people traveling to and from China, etc. My boss was handing out masks, but just the little ones. Me, I'm just washing my hands frequently, stuff like that. Hoping for the best.

We had been planning on traveling to HK in the spring, but uhhh we're not gonna do that now, better safe than sorry.

Yeah I’ve got tickets to Japan in April and we are just kind of watching and waiting to see what happens. Hopefully things will get under control in a couple months.