Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Iron Crowned posted:

Bar Louie is a stupid name

It sounds like an establishment in Shenmue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Krispy Wafer posted:

They have 300 locations over probably a dozen states, I don't think over expansion is a reason.

I think people's tastes have changed. If you want fast food there are better options and since their whole shtick is little tiny sandwiches, it's not like they can revamp the menu without alienating their core customers.

They've been doing a lot of menu tinkering over the last few years which is never a good sign, especially when it's not adding some 'healthier' options.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Does anyone have a link to that great article about Sears descent into randian madness? There's one really good one people always post and I can't find it.

edit: I think it was the bloomberg article, but I can't tell because I'm not buying a sub just to read this one article about stupid randians. If that is the one I'm thinking of does anyone have a link to a post where someone quoted the whole stupid thing

Guildenstern Mother has a new favorite as of 06:23 on Jan 29, 2020

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
So that explains why one of our two Bar Louies up and closed with no warning. I suspect the remaining one might make it as it's on the end of a well trafficked mall unless the whole chain goes down. Though I have always heard that it's an expensive as hell restaurant and since I don't drink much there's never been a reason for me to go to one.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Does anyone have a link to that great article about Sears descent into randian madness? There's one really good one people always post and I can't find it.

edit: I think it was the bloomberg article, but I can't tell because I'm not buying a sub just to read this one article about stupid randians. If that is the one I'm thinking of does anyone have a link to a post where someone quoted the whole stupid thing

Groovelord Neato posted:

I ended up subscribing to Bloomberg so I could get access to that lengthy article about Lampert and Sears from 2013 (wish I had copied it before it went behind the paywall).

At Sears, Eddie Lampert's Warring Divisions Model Adds to the Troubles
To revive the retailer, Chairman and CEO Eddie Lampert introduced an unorthodox strategy: Every executive must fight to win. So far, the biggest loser is Sears

Here's the whole thing:
https://pastebin.com/V6fWd0cM

Groovelord was kind enough to take the bullet and copy it elsewhere for everyone.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Awesome thanks for digging that up, and thanks to groovelord

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

I can only assume that the randian experiment that was Sears is taught in freshwater economics as an example of how not to run a business

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Sears is pretty successful if your name is Ed Lambert, though.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Isn't the general consensus that he's pumped in so much money to keep it afloat that at this point he wouldn't break even if they razed it to the ground tomorrow and sold off the real estate?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Possibly, I know there is also an ongoing lawsuit against him by some of Sears’ other creditors

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I think people lump Lampert in with the corporate raiders that destroyed Remington Outdoor, Toys R Us, etc via leveraged buyouts when that's not what seems to have happened. Those were companies that would've survived if not for the insane interests payments they were saddled with. His hedge fund has lost at least a billion dollars on the Sears fiasco (and it's probably much more at this point) and if you read the Bloomberg article I copy/pasted he appears to think he's some wizard that could turn the company around but is actually delusional. Sears would've died awhile ago if he wanted to do to it what was done to say Toys R Us.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

BigDave posted:

Was that the one in Minnetonka? They still haven't put anything new in it's spot.

Colorado.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
His Kmart turnaround made Lambert a star. He then Peter principled himself with Sears. He probably has lost money on the deal and he’s certainly still bleeding cash, but what else can he do? Either he pulls a Hail Mary with Sears or he’s always branded a loser.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Krispy Wafer posted:

His Kmart turnaround made Lambert a star. He then Peter principled himself with Sears. He probably has lost money on the deal and he’s certainly still bleeding cash, but what else can he do? Either he pulls a Hail Mary with Sears or he’s always branded a loser.

Yeah well Broadway Joe he ain't.

Sears is a dead portfolio walking, just a matter of time before it keels over.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/MarketWatch/status/1222539201553600512

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

IT IS DONE.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

I used to use Moviepass all the time, it was basically just stealing from venture capitalists so I could have free entertainment. RIP to a real one.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
So Movie Pass killed itself as well as the company that was stupid enough to buy it.

BigDave posted:

Yeah well Broadway Joe he ain't.

Sears is a dead portfolio walking, just a matter of time before it keels over.

Somewhere I saw a statistic for how much money Sears loses in a month and it wasn’t that bad. This was just operating margins and didn’t include debt and stuff. I haven’t been able to find the citation since then so maybe it’s just a fever dream, but if true then Sears could potentially cut and slash itself to profitably.

But then what? They’re not going to add more customers. JC Penney offers better everything than Sears and even they’re dying. Lambert might be able to add another 5 to 10 years to the Sears timeline but the business model is the problem. Well, that and management.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Krispy Wafer posted:

He's done at this point, his mistakes are so huge its like he doesn't even understand commerce. He's also destroying his hedge fund to keep Sears afloat and wont stop, even to risk 4.6 billion of it on an emergency investment to save Sears from liquidation. He's setting everything he has on fire to keep this going probably because he's a true believer and can't accept failure.

He's legit crazy. He insisted they implement a store social media app for employees to use to communicate, tracked their use, and Lampert would get into flame wars on the app when people complained about their store/job/Sears company.

I almost forgot, the Sears-Craftsmen tools break up. I think he decided not to pay Craftsmens tools for a quarter in order to force them into accepting less, and Craftsmen said "go gently caress yourself" and ended their decades long relationship with Sears. From all the press at the time it's seems like Craftsmen tools were a huge part of Sears' percieved value.

pentyne has a new favorite as of 20:40 on Jan 29, 2020

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

It really cannot be overemphasized how bugfucking crazy Lampert is, he would show up at the HQ like twice a year and you'd always be able to tell because half of everything would be shut down or clogged with a totally extraneous security detail.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I used to work at Ace Hardware and they had a deal with Craftsman well before CM got bought by B&D. Basically every old dude who came in to swap out a wrench mentioned they no longer had any reason to ever go to Sears anymore.

I guess Sears is also famous for appliances but Craftsman was definitely a major part of Sears's identity.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

food court bailiff posted:

It really cannot be overemphasized how bugfucking crazy Lampert is, he would show up at the HQ like twice a year and you'd always be able to tell because half of everything would be shut down or clogged with a totally extraneous security detail.

The article talks about that but chalks it up to not liking to fly but it isn't because he's a huge baby about the time he got kidnapped?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Garrand posted:

I used to work at Ace Hardware and they had a deal with Craftsman well before CM got bought by B&D. Basically every old dude who came in to swap out a wrench mentioned they no longer had any reason to ever go to Sears anymore.

I guess Sears is also famous for appliances but Craftsman was definitely a major part of Sears's identity.

Craftsmen was pretty much a quality tool. My dad used to gush about how when he broke one they'd replace it no problem. Whenever he needed a new one, Sears was the first place he'd go to.

They're probably all cheap poo poo now though.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

The article talks about that but chalks it up to not liking to fly but it isn't because he's a huge baby about the time he got kidnapped?

I was gonna say that being kidnapped is presumably quite a traumatic event you probably don't want to repeat, but seeing as he "talked himself free" I can only assume they were really lovely kidnappers.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

tight aspirations posted:

I was gonna say that being kidnapped is presumably quite a traumatic event you probably don't want to repeat, but seeing as he "talked himself free" I can only assume they were really lovely kidnappers.

They were tremendously lovely kidnappers and only managed to kidnap him in the first place because he is, as previously noted, just really stupid and crazy.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

tight aspirations posted:

They wanted 3 million he said he'd give them 5 and they dropped him off and he walked to a police station and the cops tracked them down via their credit card.

And it happened almost two decades ago he can get over it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Iron Crowned posted:

Craftsmen was pretty much a quality tool. My dad used to gush about how when he broke one they'd replace it no problem. Whenever he needed a new one, Sears was the first place he'd go to.

Yeah, they're no better than the Pittsburgh brand from Harbor Freight, and those are like 1/3 the cost.

Even the Husky and Kobalt brands from HD and Lowe's are better than Craftsmen has been the past several years.

And I think all of them have the same "if the tool's broke just walk and and we'll replace it off the shelf no questions asked" policy, at least for simple hand tools.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Garrand posted:

Kenmore is a Sears exclusive, but it’s just a rebadged Whirlpool or LG. It’s a good brand and they’re considered quality appliances, but with a little research you can get the exact same things elsewhere. So most of the brand value is the perception that Kenmore is exclusive.

We stayed at an AirBnB and everything was Kenmore. The owners just went to a Sears and bought one of each. That’s what people used to do. How do you gently caress up a revenue stream like that? Oh yeah, Lambert.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
It's Craftsman, people :argh:

I mean, their tools are run-of-the-mill-to-trash now, but if we're gonna keep talking about them...

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Sears missed out on a marketing bonanza with Craftsma’am.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
One of the few remaining K-Marts is in the Twin Cities in the middle of a major area of Minneapolis. It has been an impediment to any kind of traffic reflow or what have you because it is smack dab in the middle. I can only imagine how much that has pushed up its valuation. I suspect there will be a celebration when it finally gets the can.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Beachcomber posted:

Can they please come to California?

What you want is an HEB. It's pretty much the only thing my wife and I are going to miss about Texas.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Garrand posted:

Appliances, tools, and the auto centers. Being stuck in the malls was their biggest problem, but they were unique among department stores and had a reputation for quality that maybe could have been parlayed that into a newer, better model. Instead they got sold to some venture capitol mad scientist who's earliest steps were destroying all that.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

there wolf posted:

Appliances, tools, and the auto centers. Being stuck in the malls was their biggest problem, but they were unique among department stores and had a reputation for quality that maybe could have been parlayed that into a newer, better model. Instead they got sold to some venture capitol mad scientist who's earliest steps were destroying all that.

Sears was 99% of the way to having a huge online presence, all they literally had to do was turn the Sears catalog into a website and hook up a credit card processor. But the idea never occurred to them before Amazon did it first.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

I worked at Sears on a few different occasions. When I first started must have been the dying days of Craftsman being a quality brand. Someone would come in with a broken tool, we'd toss it in a bin and let them leave with a brand new replacement. No hassle.

The next time I'd work for Sears, they'd limited what this worked for. They'd make us fix wrenches, when possible, with these awful cheap replacement kits. Plastic pieces. It would take forever to install a spring that needed a tiny ball bearing on one end.

They also rewarded the top credit card selling cashiers with their choice of departments, which was usually tools. I guess it was easier to con people into signing up for cards there than in any of the clothing departments.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

How many Kmarts still even exist? The last ones closed around here years ago.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Iron Crowned posted:

IIRC they outsourced a lot of their manufacturing to China some years ago but there's certain types of tools manufactured the old way in the US. Mainly simpler things like wrenches and screwdrivers.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Boywhiz88 posted:

One of the few remaining K-Marts is in the Twin Cities in the middle of a major area of Minneapolis. It has been an impediment to any kind of traffic reflow or what have you because it is smack dab in the middle. I can only imagine how much that has pushed up its valuation. I suspect there will be a celebration when it finally gets the can.

The city owns it now. $8 million.
K-mart has a lease on it until 2053.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

rndmnmbr posted:

Sears was 99% of the way to having a huge online presence, all they literally had to do was turn the Sears catalog into a website and hook up a credit card processor. But the idea never occurred to them before Amazon did it first.

Making it all the more crazy, Prodigy was a joint effort between Sears and IBM. And Sears also had what would qualify today as an e-commerce portal on CompuServe even earlier. They had the future right in their hands and pissed it away right as it was taking off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

ReidRansom posted:

What you want is an HEB. It's pretty much the only thing my wife and I are going to miss about Texas.

Never been to a HEB. Publix has delicious subs, and Wegmans is just completely awesome.

Safeway would probably be fine if they didn't have ridiculous turnover and/or didn't deliberately understaff.

I don't know why the union puts up with it.