Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

namesake posted:

If the press could just do their jobs even a little bit this sort of thing wouldn't be so blatant.

Don't worry they're doing their jobs perfectly.

It's just that their jobs aren't reporting the news, any more.

E: 135 years ago in 1885, Westminster and the Tower of London were damaged with dynamite by an Irish group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

thespaceinvader posted:

Don't worry they're doing their jobs perfectly.

It's just that their jobs aren't reporting the news, any more.

E: 135 years ago in 1885, Westminster and the Tower of London were damaged with dynamite by an Irish group.

Fair enough, I should stop calling them the press.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

namesake posted:

It's not really nationalisation, it's running the franchise from a government operator they can put it out to retender at any point. Nationalisation is being used because the press are poo poo.

I assumed it was gonna be similar to the Southern/Govia situation in the end with the government calling the shots for as long as they wanted - but if they're setting up a state operator, it's still de facto nationalisation in a sense right? It wouldn't be safe from being farmed back out to the private sector either way

I guess it is the press pushing that specific term though huh. But it still feels like there's a narrative here of the private sector failing and the state needing to step in, and that's what's being pushed, so I'm just wondering if they're gonna try and flip it into a bad thing to dilute the appetite for it, I mean it's (hopefully) gonna be something Labour continues to push when we get a new leader

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Tesseraction posted:

Mind you "giantess" is literally a common fetish, at least according to twitter users liking horny tweets that then appear in my timeline.

There's actually more than one version of this, the smaller being 'Amazon' where the women can be merely very large but still humanly possible, to several metres tall but still roughly able to interact with men, and the other being 'Giantess' that involves women the size of buildings/cities/continents and they are usually just squishing thousands by sitting on them or eating people like popcorn or what have you.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I assume it's just the same thing they had to do the last two times the ECML failed.

Almost like it's trend or something.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

oh about the Alistair Stewart thing, apparently it's this?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

namesake posted:

Fair enough, I should stop calling them the press.

The media is probably more accurate, yes.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

There's actually more than one version of this, the smaller being 'Amazon' where the women can be merely very large but still humanly possible, to several metres tall but still roughly able to interact with men, and the other being 'Giantess' that involves women the size of buildings/cities/continents and they are usually just squishing thousands by sitting on them or eating people like popcorn or what have you.

Yeah, Bowsette was a real coup for the cause.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ms Adequate posted:

that involves women the size of buildings/cities/continents and they are usually just squishing thousands by sitting on them or eating people like popcorn or what have you.

OwlFancier posted:

I assume it's just the same thing they had to do the last two times the ECML failed.

Going to read these two as following from each other.

Tories, man.

Also impressed with Ms Adequate being a literal fetish daemon, that comes to educate us about fetishes. Tell me of the Victorian fetish for shepherdess feet.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

baka kaba posted:

I assumed it was gonna be similar to the Southern/Govia situation in the end with the government calling the shots for as long as they wanted - but if they're setting up a state operator, it's still de facto nationalisation in a sense right? It wouldn't be safe from being farmed back out to the private sector either way

I guess it is the press pushing that specific term though huh. But it still feels like there's a narrative here of the private sector failing and the state needing to step in, and that's what's being pushed, so I'm just wondering if they're gonna try and flip it into a bad thing to dilute the appetite for it, I mean it's (hopefully) gonna be something Labour continues to push when we get a new leader

The DfT as 'operator of last resort' has been around since the 90s when even the Major government was far-sighted enough to forsee that one of the private firms could fail mid-franchise. They took over South Eastern for a few years in the 2000s after Connex hosed it up, ran the ECML after GNER's collapse and currently run the ECML again after Virgin founx couldn't run it profitably.

So the DfT taking over Northern isn't a new thing. I'm not sure it really counts as nationalisation since the DfT is only the operator in this case - the trains themselves are still leased. But there's certainly a repeating story of the private sector failing to provide a decent or viable railway and the state having to step in and do the job (much better, if the SE and ECML examples are anything to go by) that is not being put forward.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

BalloonFish posted:

The DfT as 'operator of last resort' has been around since the 90s when even the Major government was far-sighted enough to forsee that one of the private firms could fail mid-franchise. They took over South Eastern for a few years in the 2000s after Connex hosed it up, ran the ECML after GNER's collapse and currently run the ECML again after Virgin founx couldn't run it profitably.

So the DfT taking over Northern isn't a new thing. I'm not sure it really counts as nationalisation since the DfT is only the operator in this case - the trains themselves are still leased. But there's certainly a repeating story of the private sector failing to provide a decent or viable railway and the state having to step in and do the job (much better, if the SE and ECML examples are anything to go by) that is not being put forward.

Much like Employer of Last Resort there's no ideological room amongst rightwing politics or the media to accept that the government can provide services well and especially not uniquely well.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Guavanaut posted:

Also impressed with Ms Adequate being a literal fetish daemon, that comes to educate us about fetishes.
Like a leather bound hitchhiker's guide :v:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Guavanaut posted:

Going to read these two as following from each other.

Tories, man.

Also impressed with Ms Adequate being a literal fetish daemon, that comes to educate us about fetishes. Tell me of the Victorian fetish for shepherdess feet.

Feet are an all-time fetish dating back to prehistory. Why shepherdesses specifically, I couldn't say, but probably an image of rusticism and purity (The shepherd and the lamb long being one of the most central of Christian icons of course) combined with the desire for a young lady's feet to be shoved in your face/stepping on you/your crotch/jerking you off, a perfectly reasonable and healthy desire.

Pilchenstein posted:

Like a leather bound hitchhiker's guide :v:

"Do worry, but you will also be happy" :fet101:

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Yeah, Bowsette was a real coup for the cause.

:hai:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think I'd want anyone's feet in my face if they've been stepping in sheep poo poo. I also wouldn't describe them as particularly pure except in the glaswegian sense.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 29, 2020

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think I'd want anyone's feet in my face if they've been stepping in sheep poo poo. I also wouldn't describe them as particularly pure except in the glaswegian sense.

On the second point, nor would I, but this was the idealized version concocted by rich city folks.

On the first point, however, the Victorians were unbelievably nasty behind closed doors, I wouldn't be surprised if the sheep poo poo was actually the very reason they were all Tarantino for shepherdess feet.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That perhaps is the difference between me and foot people, cos sure, feet are a practical sex component, but Feet People are into them in complex ways I don't get.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Well, often it's the feet that are into the Feet People :rimshot:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ms Adequate posted:

Feet are an all-time fetish dating back to prehistory. Why shepherdesses specifically, I couldn't say, but probably an image of rusticism and purity (The shepherd and the lamb long being one of the most central of Christian icons of course) combined with the desire for a young lady's feet to be shoved in your face/stepping on you/your crotch/jerking you off, a perfectly reasonable and healthy desire.
There's also the Pastourelle, a very old (like 12th century) form of erotic French (and apparently sometimes Scottish) poetry specifically about romancing shepherdesses, but I don't think they focused on the feet much.

I think you're right that there's a difference between that (where the shepherdess represents the only type of young woman one might find halfway up a hill in 1190s Normandy or Moray) and the late 19th one where it was more old men longing for a past of barefoot young maidens wandering the forests with their flock rather than the crops being on fire again because the rain of muriatic acid from the dyeworks has started up again.

I guess it's the death of anyone who can even remember someone who remembered that sort of pastoralism that means fetishes for milkmaids and shepherdesses have coalesced into the generic 'farmer's daughter' archetype.

Bouguereau would be disappointed that the proliferation of occupation related niche erotic imagery has coincided with the obsolescence of his particular niche.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Guavanaut posted:

Bouguereau would be disappointed that the proliferation of occupation related niche erotic imagery has coincided with the obsolescence of his particular niche.

I dunno, I can think of some farm-themed special interests he might have moved sideways into.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Guavanaut posted:

He can still cater to the "wants to gently caress a satyr" demographic.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/thegobli...ingawful.com%2F

UK military procurement gearing up for the changes of the post Brexit world, Poitiers better look out.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Apparently, Thornberry acquitted herself spectacularly poorly at the leadership candidates' meeting with Unite. Went off on a big weird rant at Unite themselves and at her fellow candidates. Also, RLB was the only one who said she was a bit iffy about the Ten Pledges the Board of Deputies had demanded, and would be looking for ways to interpret and implement them sanely.

Source: internal Labour scuttlebutt.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
The Royal Artillery now consists of one trebuchet, never fired

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Bit of a tangential ISP chat to distract from the looming Brexit apocalypse, but does anyone know if the Three 4G mobile network is the same one they use for their Homefi 4G broadband setup?

My phone with them works perfectly from my house but their website says that their broadband is unavailable at my address. I just assumed that the Homefi was a box/router with an antenna and sim card in it that tapped into the same 4G signal my mobile does.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Of course it hit me like a train just after posting that we still eroticize Little Bo-Peep so the shepherdess fetish is maintained but only via turning children's nursery rhymes into sexy [n] costumes.

Culture is strange.

Kin posted:

Bit of a tangential ISP chat to distract from the looming Brexit apocalypse, but does anyone know if the Three 4G mobile network is the same one they use for their Homefi 4G broadband setup?

My phone with them works perfectly from my house but their website says that their broadband is unavailable at my address. I just assumed that the Homefi was a box/router with an antenna and sim card in it that tapped into the same 4G signal my mobile does.
I know for EE it's the same, literally a SIM card, has an 07 number, and can receive SMS texts. I can't see why Three would be any different. I stopped using their router and moved the SIM into a Huawei because I needed LAN ports and it works fine.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Kin posted:

I actually have a Three 4G mifi which I've had for several years and a Three homehub 4G broadband (up to 80Mbps) which I've had nearly 2 months now. Both work fine from my home but then it says they do by postcode too. When there were some Three issues a couple of weeks ago for a couple of days, my homehub was affected but my mifi wasn't. Not sure why but seems to suggest there's some difference in the signals being used.

My homehub Three router is a huawei B535

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 29, 2020

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Honestly if your usage is low you can probably get away with just running your house off your phone hotspot. My previous workplace did that, and it worked out fine.

Probably won't keep up with big gaming usage tho.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of Huawei, I'm almost sad that Mac resigned/retired from the Mail, he'd be like this right now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVtbkQMwJS4

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

thespaceinvader posted:

Honestly if your usage is low you can probably get away with just running your house off your phone hotspot. My previous workplace did that, and it worked out fine.

Probably won't keep up with big gaming usage tho.

As a guide, 1 hr of tv streaming uses about 1GB of data.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I think this year is going to be the worst year of my life at the rate it's going. Only a month in and I just can't see it getting better.

One of the guys on my team at work, slightly higher up than me but still a contractor got fired last week for incredibly spurious reasons, like I think if he went to a tribunal he'd probably get a settlement or something but he didn't give a gently caress and seemed actively happy to be fired despite not having another job lined up since they're paying him for two weeks and he didn't have to serve his notice. He basically skipped out of the door on the day he got fired.

Then on Monday it was my birthday, I'd been counting down to it like you do with holidays and such. Getting through poo poo days by being like "well only x days until I can do this". I took the day off and went down South to see someone I've known for a long time for some fun but that ended up being a total disaster, really dented what little confidence I have and left me feeling like poo poo all the way home. Then the trains were hosed so got stuck in the cold for half an hour twice and then the dinner I bought myself at my favourite restaurant was poo poo. Realised I'm hitting that age where most of my friends have their own poo poo going on or I've just drifted apart and lost touch with them.

Today we got the news about the replacement for the guy who got fired, they're replacing him with no one in the UK and some guys on our team over in Warsaw are getting shuffled into new roles to replace him, they're sound testers and great guys but having to interact with them for testing stuff can be a hassle just because being in the same room is useful sometimes and they never say "hey these time estimates you've given us are a bit unreasonable, we need a bit more to do this test you've scheduled", the UK guy being willing to do that probably contributed to him being let go to be honest so that's not great.

Finally, my job search is going like poo poo. Tried all the stuff that's occasionally been suggested in the UKMT threads, NHS banks, IT support etc. I've not been called back for any of the testing jobs I've applied for in months, neither ones that are slightly above my level that seem like natural next steps, or ones that are at the same level but just permanent instead of contracting. Sorta feel like I want to do something different anyway but not had any interviews for any of the jobs in different things I've applied for either. Everything just feels....hosed.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

thebardyspoon posted:

I think this year is going to be the worst year of my life at the rate it's going. Only a month in and I just can't see it getting better.

One of the guys on my team at work, slightly higher up than me but still a contractor got fired last week for incredibly spurious reasons, like I think if he went to a tribunal he'd probably get a settlement or something but he didn't give a gently caress and seemed actively happy to be fired despite not having another job lined up since they're paying him for two weeks and he didn't have to serve his notice. He basically skipped out of the door on the day he got fired.

Then on Monday it was my birthday, I'd been counting down to it like you do with holidays and such. Getting through poo poo days by being like "well only x days until I can do this". I took the day off and went down South to see someone I've known for a long time for some fun but that ended up being a total disaster, really dented what little confidence I have and left me feeling like poo poo all the way home. Then the trains were hosed so got stuck in the cold for half an hour twice and then the dinner I bought myself at my favourite restaurant was poo poo. Realised I'm hitting that age where most of my friends have their own poo poo going on or I've just drifted apart and lost touch with them.

Today we got the news about the replacement for the guy who got fired, they're replacing him with no one in the UK and some guys on our team over in Warsaw are getting shuffled into new roles to replace him, they're sound testers and great guys but having to interact with them for testing stuff can be a hassle just because being in the same room is useful sometimes and they never say "hey these time estimates you've given us are a bit unreasonable, we need a bit more to do this test you've scheduled", the UK guy being willing to do that probably contributed to him being let go to be honest so that's not great.

Finally, my job search is going like poo poo. Tried all the stuff that's occasionally been suggested in the UKMT threads, NHS banks, IT support etc. I've not been called back for any of the testing jobs I've applied for in months, neither ones that are slightly above my level that seem like natural next steps, or ones that are at the same level but just permanent instead of contracting. Sorta feel like I want to do something different anyway but not had any interviews for any of the jobs in different things I've applied for either. Everything just feels....hosed.

Solidarity friend, especially on the job hunting.

Job hunting is an absolute shitstorm right now, even fairly mid-level jobs in decent employers locally are getting 50+ applications. I'm finding the whole process extremely draining.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Hey, bardyspoon, what's your skills and what neck of the woods are you in?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Guavanaut posted:

There's also the Pastourelle, a very old (like 12th century) form of erotic French (and apparently sometimes Scottish) poetry specifically about romancing shepherdesses
Who else remembers the war room bit from Chelmsford 123? :v:

Unrelatedly:
https://twitter.com/m_e_e_t_a/status/1222568975294443520

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

That sucks bardy, sympathies.

Nothing makes me feel more like an angry leftie then job hunting. Sure, I understand alienation and abusive power relations from employees yadda yadda, but having to sit down and play along really makes me get it.

My current bugbear are aptitude tests, and how they're bullshit and arbitrary. Most barely have any resemblance to the job at hand, and I repeatedly find some where the example questions are wrong by the standards they've given.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Pilchenstein posted:

Who else remembers the war room bit from Chelmsford 123? :v:

Which episode? I rewatched that series just last year but don't specifically remember a war room bit?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

e: whoops, wrong tab!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Aye, adding my sympathies. The one upside of being disabled and unable to work is, well, not having to deal with all that bullshit.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

That sucks bardy, sympathies.

Nothing makes me feel more like an angry leftie then job hunting. Sure, I understand alienation and abusive power relations from employees yadda yadda, but having to sit down and play along really makes me get it.

My current bugbear are aptitude tests, and how they're bullshit and arbitrary. Most barely have any resemblance to the job at hand, and I repeatedly find some where the example questions are wrong by the standards they've given.

The one that got me a while ago was an excel test, which was administered online via a deprecated medium (flash I think) which I had to download to do the stupid test then immediately uninstall, which wasn't actually excel so didn't have keyboard shortcuts which I use far more than mouse inputs which it expected, woudln't allow things like typing directly itno a cell rather than into the input bar, or typing formulae rather than picking them from menus, asked for about half a dozen cryptically obscure functions I've litrally never used in ten years with that employer (this was getting back into the University temp service after being made redundant as a permanent staffer and spending 6 months in a different industry), and most absurdly, didn't prevent you just... tabbing out and googling the answers in another screen. I was literally screaming at the screen halfway through, because it wouldn't do things that I know excel can do because I literally used excel every working day for ten goddamn years.

And when I complained about all these things, and particularly about the excel element making me look substantially less competent than I was due to not accounting for the fact that excel has half a dozen ways to execute most functions, and only allowing one to be correct (and in one instance, not allowing ANY to be correct, it simply wouldn't accept the input at all), they just sort of... glibly acknowledged that it's poo poo, and it wouldn't actually affect anything.

SO WHY loving DO IT

Aptitude tests in particular are complete woo bullshit, and are largely used to arbitrarily prune large applicant pools to more manageable numbers, and serve essentially the same function as shredding every other application without reading it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

thespaceinvader posted:

The one that got me a while ago was an excel test, which was administered online via a deprecated medium (flash I think) which I had to download to do the stupid test then immediately uninstall, which wasn't actually excel so didn't have keyboard shortcuts which I use far more than mouse inputs which it expected, woudln't allow things like typing directly itno a cell rather than into the input bar, or typing formulae rather than picking them from menus, asked for about half a dozen cryptically obscure functions I've litrally never used in ten years with that employer (this was getting back into the University temp service after being made redundant as a permanent staffer and spending 6 months in a different industry), and most absurdly, didn't prevent you just... tabbing out and googling the answers in another screen. I was literally screaming at the screen halfway through, because it wouldn't do things that I know excel can do because I literally used excel every working day for ten goddamn years.

And when I complained about all these things, and particularly about the excel element making me look substantially less competent than I was due to not accounting for the fact that excel has half a dozen ways to execute most functions, and only allowing one to be correct (and in one instance, not allowing ANY to be correct, it simply wouldn't accept the input at all), they just sort of... glibly acknowledged that it's poo poo, and it wouldn't actually affect anything.

SO WHY loving DO IT

Aptitude tests in particular are complete woo bullshit, and are largely used to arbitrarily prune large applicant pools to more manageable numbers, and serve essentially the same function as shredding every other application without reading it.

I remember doing those sort of tests with Office product emulators where you couldn't for example skim the cursor along the menu bar to see which one had the drop down you wanted, you had to go directly to it, you couldn't backspace to delete a typo (including in excel formulae), all those sort of things, and no way on earth for googling the answers while on the test. Luckily the agency I used allowed people to go in and practice a few times before taking the one that counted.
They're a nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I remember doing those sort of tests with Office product emulators where you couldn't for example skim the cursor along the menu bar to see which one had the drop down you wanted, you had to go directly to it, you couldn't backspace to delete a typo (including in excel formulae), all those sort of things, and no way on earth for googling the answers while on the test. Luckily the agency I used allowed people to go in and practice a few times before taking the one that counted.
They're a nightmare.

yeah IIRC this one was full screen and didn't easily allow tabbing out, but didn't account dfor the fact that you could just have another browser open in another screen.

The whole interview process is absurd, it's practically custom designed to find people who are good at selling themselves, but at best mediocre at the job.

God I wish more jobs did trial weeks or similar - but conversely, that woudl suck if you were currently working, taking a week or a month off to apply for a new job would be awful.

Similarly, I wish more industries accepted entry-level applications from people without a specific education and/or experience in that area. One thing I'm trying to do at the moment is move into a more creative space than my previous career in admin, because it's mind numbing and awful, and I want to make stuff, but getting any kind of work in that area seems to involve some combination of magic, money, and nepotism, and I don't have any of the above.