Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
south africa is loving wild. i've met some normal, well adjusted people from there. i've also met far too many that have killed people and talk about it like it's normal. i seriously would not be surprised by anything from anyone from those ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

I really enjoyed Die Antwoords music but after reading into the poo poo Ninja and Yolanti did to fellow musicians I can't stand them anymore. They seem to be petty bullies going for easy preys like they're still 13 year olds.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Die Antwoord absolutely loving suck

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

actually appalled it took me like 20 posts since them being mentioned in the thread for this post to show up

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Some of their songs are fine

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
:gary: i fink u freeky n I like u a lot

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Some of their songs are fine

yeah and they've got a fleetingly interesting aesthetic.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

@Marching Powder where did you get the sumo tag???

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Vargatron posted:

@Marching Powder where did you get the sumo tag???

there's a sumo thread in rowdy ringsports, i just started following sumo this basho and it's extremely loving sick and extremely loving japanese. it's like 2000's pride today. steroids, forced to compete through injuries, group of old, priveliged men telling ethnic minorities to fight for their entertainment. actually that sounds awful. anyway it's interesting and there's a community if you want to post.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Ok so I didn't know this, but I was watching this show on Netflix called 'Carole and Tuesday' with the girl and the first half is basically 'girls, positive black representation in media, girls singing, gays being treated normally, girls singing, singing competition' you know, poo poo you'd find in an anime you can enjoy as a normal person. Then the show is backloaded with a shitload of dissident messaging some of which involved a rapper named Ezekiel whose raps are performed by motherufucking Denzel Curry. Anyway, some of y'all should watch it.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Marching Powder posted:

(excellent recommendation)

You're omitting that Ezekiel's story is basically the whole 21 Savage getting picked up by ICE saga in the best way. But yeah, a good watch for rap fans; has the same director as Samurai Champloo (which had Fat Jon & Nujabes on the score.)

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Ultraklystron posted:

You're omitting that Ezekiel's story is basically the whole 21 Savage getting picked up by ICE saga in the best way. But yeah, a good watch for rap fans; has the same director as Samurai Champloo (which had Fat Jon & Nujabes on the score.)

Fat Jon gently caress yeah, I always forget who did the vocals

Nujabes is like, one of the few artists who I think about semi-regularly and am legit sad at how they died so young, like drat

Also that posthumous Mac Miller album has been on repeat for me for about a week, gently caress it's so good

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Funeral is out as well as Bandana Beats. I'll have to give them a spin in the morning.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTt7301PR5k

Slowthai on this is really good

new Future and Drake
https://soundcloud.com/octobersveryown/desires

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Anybody listen to Wayne yet?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

slowthai is really good

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

RBX posted:

Anybody listen to Wayne yet?

Barely listening to it now but I saw there’s a xxxtentacion feature lol

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I heard it's one of the worst songs of all time too.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Yeah that xxx song sucks a lot, but overall album was pretty solid imo

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

momentary bliss is the best gorillaz song in years i love everything about it

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

okay this roddy rich album is good and I was sleeping on it.

hes definitely the heir to thugger + RHQ, but in a kind of boring way. the beats on it are just pure 2010s trap sound distilled, but in a bad way. not sure how that jives with me liking the album, exactly.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

okay this roddy rich album is good and I was sleeping on it.

hes definitely the heir to thugger + RHQ, but in a kind of boring way. the beats on it are just pure 2010s trap sound distilled, but in a bad way. not sure how that jives with me liking the album, exactly.

dude's an obvious clone of better, already existing, established, and accomplished rappers, the beats are recycled trash from a decade ago when the sound was still developing, and each track starts by roddy rich kicking in my front door and giving me a swirlie and taking my wallet. 8/10

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I didn't like the album much at all. Listened to it three times and couldn't sing a bar of it

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Marching Powder posted:

dude's an obvious clone of better, already existing, established, and accomplished rappers, the beats are recycled trash from a decade ago when the sound was still developing, and each track starts by roddy rich kicking in my front door and giving me a swirlie and taking my wallet. 8/10

I mean kinda, yeah. But as for the beats, they are not bad or old, I mean they have like ascended to the platonic form of a "trap beat". Just turns out that's kind of boring and soulless when you get there.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

I mean kinda, yeah. But as for the beats, they are not bad or old, I mean they have like ascended to the platonic form of a "trap beat". Just turns out that's kind of boring and soulless when you get there.

It's cool man I get it. I really liked the last q tape.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

haha I agree the Roddy would’ve been really dope like 6 or 7 years ago

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Was digging into Sada Baby because the references and stuff he pulls out are pretty funny.

This song rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZyZlz7RL1Y

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

JHVH-1 posted:

Was digging into Sada Baby because the references and stuff he pulls out are pretty funny.

This song rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZyZlz7RL1Y

The entire album Bartier Bounty is my number 1 from last year. It's sada cracking jokes for an hour.

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH
the new sada tape is pretty good too but its only on datpiff which makes it feel like its 2009

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

DROP TABLE PHIZ posted:

the new sada tape is pretty good too but its only on datpiff which makes it feel like its 2009

Guh I used to work for the hosting company that datpiff was on back then. Don't give me flashbacks. The owner would throw us under the bus every time his site broke for reasons he could have avoided.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrROsEOS0FM

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

JHVH-1 posted:

Guh I used to work for the hosting company that datpiff was on back then. Don't give me flashbacks. The owner would throw us under the bus every time his site broke for reasons he could have avoided.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrROsEOS0FM

ok yeah duke deuce loving rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWJNTJ_FLj4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIKR1kkIvWA

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

new aesop rock song / clip. you already know what it is. extremely skillful, lyrically dense, fascinating choice of visuals, do like this beat an awful lot too.

don't know if he always does this, but if you look for more information on the track just under the video he's got the lyrics to the song there in one big block like he copied a survivor's recount for a neurotic person and pasted it sans formatting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_ozzOY1ELU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44-VzXeMHOY

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Marching Powder posted:

new aesop rock song / clip. you already know what it is. extremely skillful, lyrically dense, fascinating choice of visuals, do like this beat an awful lot too.

don't know if he always does this, but if you look for more information on the track just under the video he's got the lyrics to the song there in one big block like he copied a survivor's recount for a neurotic person and pasted it sans formatting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_ozzOY1ELU

I'm not gonna lie, Aesop would not have been probably in the top 10 dudes I would've expected to still be making good music this far into his career. I'm always interested in how rap dudes age and how it affects their music, especially since rap a lot of times seems super focused on youth. Like it's important I think that rappers at least be given the same latitude as dudes in rock and other forms of music to let their stuff grow a bit. Unfortunately a lot of dudes seem to have a tendency of making lame attempts at copying whatever's hot (and lame is the keyword-some dudes are able to adapt to newer styles but a lot it's just kinda cringey), or just repeatedly making the same stuff they made when they were younger (oftentimes making GBS threads on whatever's popular). Aesop's largely avoided both of those paths. And dude's also kept a lot of the same energy he had when he was younger-like I love a lot of Lupe's later output and Tetsuo and Youth was an amazing album, but listening to that vs. Food and Liquor he definitely sounds a lot less...energetic. There's a pop lacking through most of the tracks, even though he's just as good or better lyrically. Aesop still largely raps with a lot of the same urgency and feel.

Like it's just a random track (hopefully from a new album) but still think it's worth celebrating a rapper who has been making great music for 20+ years.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

alansmithee posted:

Like it's just a random track (hopefully from a new album) but still think it's worth celebrating a rapper who has been making great music for 20+ years.

amen to that! i too think of lupe and aesop when i think about dudes who have been doing it forever but are absolutely not sounding tired.

i can see a time, perhaps in the coming decade, when lupe moves into doing whatever it is he wants to do besides rapping. i honestly think there will be a point when he can hang em up and find fulfilment in other meaningful, impactful, and perhaps even artistic ways.

aesop though, i don't know. i know at least me and you have mentioned that as he's aged he's maintained denseness and complexity but reduced the opacity. a lot. the impossible kid is one of the best albums i've ever heard at least partly because it was so clearly an album by a guy who was scared to death that he might die without ever being understood. and malibu ken proved to me that aesop could create songs i would want to hear as long as there's breath in his lungs. dude can rap about literally anything from angles only found by artists.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

i got like six songs into the new wayne album and turned it off to play drought 3 instead. p much what ive done with everyone wayne release since no ceilings i think

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

40 lbs to freedom posted:

i got like six songs into the new wayne album and turned it off to play drought 3 instead. p much what ive done with everyone wayne release since no ceilings i think

Honestly same. Carter 5 had more rotation than most tho

conventionalcat
Dec 17, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
carter v was really solid. i wonder if most of the best stuff on it was recorded a while ago tho. funeral has like 4 songs i'll go back to maybe. but nothin that'll get as much play as the 4-5 songs i still play off carter v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e85m8NJ4wY