Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Ah yes, "maladministration" is obviously completely the same as "abuse of power". Time to acquit, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also yes British Prime Minsters are not impeached. They have a different system for kicking them out of power.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Dershowitz: "The only way to be bad at your job is to actively exploit it for your own benefit, because maladministration is synonymous with abuse of power."

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Sombrerotron posted:

Ah yes, "maladministration" is obviously completely the same as "abuse of power". Time to acquit, then.

it's such a joke too because we know exactly what it means, sucking at your job

if maladministration were impeachable we could impeach Trump for being completely incapable of doing his job and, in fact, refusing to do it and playing golf instead.

also, you know,

https://twitter.com/fordm/status/1222656729672011776

eke out fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 30, 2020

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

whats this mean?

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

The fact that this administration can just lie with impunity after the fact is infuriating. I am so angry and actually kinda sad about what has happened to this country. The Mulvaney bullshit where he said it was a quid pro quo in the press conference but then later retracted it is garbage. We are at a horrible time in our history and I really hope we can see our way out of it without falling any further into full fascism.,

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

whats this mean?

Basically that the administration is full of poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Ungratek posted:

Basically that the administration is full of poo poo.

i mean yeah everyone knows that but like in what way.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

eke out posted:

it's such a joke too because we know exactly what it means, sucking at your job
Yes, that was what I was driving at. Dershowitz equating the two betrays on his part either shocking ignorance, shocking deceitfulness, or even both. But aside from that, there really is no logical or moral argument to make against removing any official - much less the President - from office for abuse of power. Even if the people who wrote the Constitution had explicitly argued such, it would be madness to maintain that modern-day America should still subscribe to such a view and limit the use of impeachment powers accordingly.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean yeah everyone knows that but like in what way.

They're claiming the manuscript contains a multitude of classified info, a claim Bolton's attorneys addressed as "lol no". The administration was informed of this 5 days ago and they're just sitting on it.

Also they told the administration that Bolton is likely testifying, so loving address it before he gets up on the stand if they actually believe the information is classified so they can review.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Sombrerotron posted:

Yes, that was what I was driving at. Dershowitz equating the two betrays on his part either shocking ignorance, shocking deceitfulness, or even both. But aside from that, there really is no logical or moral argument to make against removing any official - much less the President - from office for abuse of power. Even if the people who wrote the Constitution had explicitly argued such, it would be madness to maintain that modern-day America should still subscribe to such a view and limit the use of impeachment powers accordingly.

None of them are ignorant, they're all 100% lying shitlords and they know it.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

RandomBlue posted:

None of them are ignorant, they're all 100% lying shitlords and they know it.

Obligatory

“Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.”

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I ...I don't think Alan Pedophile Dershowitz knows how to use the word "woke"

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Holy poo poo, Dershowitz the flip-flopper projecting super hard with the whole 'scholars interpret things whatever way suits their purpose.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1222661968458321922

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
im the louis vutton phone cover

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lol

https://twitter.com/qjurecic/status/1222663083593732108

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Dershowitz is prepared, he just prepared by placing his head entirely up his own rear end.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Schiff seems cool. Can we elect him president instead?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Framboise posted:

at this rate, he's going to be too busy being the democratic speaker of the house until he retires

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Dersh basically arguing that Watergate was cool because Nixon did it to get re-elected right? Lol

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Dersh railing about the Democrats bias is real rich. If we had any more projection we could start a drive in.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

also excellent last word before dinner from Schiff right there

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Framboise posted:

Sure you don't want Schiff as Speaker for the next 20 years?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Dapper_Swindler posted:

had an disagreement with my dad my dad today about this whole thing. he seems to think that trumps defense team is doing ok and making points and that people are taking poo poo out of context. my dad isnt a chud(hates fox, dislikes trump and the GOP) but he is a "fence party" type who both sides alot of stuff and kinda dislikes both sides and politics in general but he isnt a dumb man by any means. he isnt wrong sometimes(when it comes to libs/chuds) but its kinda sad.

Had a very nice Church member tell me that this is all just career diplomats not doing as they are told and that this happens under all Presidents. It's amazing how little people understand what is happening.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Schiff is probably aiming for a Senate seat, not the poisoned chalice of the speakership

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Oh man, if you guys dislike Pelosi's politics, wait till you see Schiff's opinions on the surveillance state and military funding

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The Glumslinger posted:

Oh man, if you guys dislike Pelosi's politics, wait till you see Schiff's opinions on the surveillance state and military funding

yea Schiff can give a good legal case but let's not pretend he doesn't suck rear end. Most of the reason he's mad about this is that it interrupted the precious flow of guns for money.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

yea Schiff can give a good legal case but let's not pretend he doesn't suck rear end. Most of the reason he's mad about this is that it interrupted the precious flow of guns for money.

it's not an endorsement of Schiff to say he's going to be Speaker, just a statement is very likely to be true. as you say, he's a centrist that's square in the middle of the current caucus in a way that makes it even more likely

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Dersh basically arguing that Watergate was cool because Nixon did it to get re-elected right? Lol

Actually Dersh was mad about watergate because he wasn't happy seeing Nixon's administration being tried by "blacks and liberals"

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So where are we in this trainwreck? I didn't realize they had kept going over the weekend.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I did enjoy the White House Counsel alternating between the boring suit man recognizing that the facts of the case were terrible and fabricating new ones that could be defended, and Dersh going completely off the rails and declaring that the President had the right to abuse their power to serve their political interests.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
That was not the level of discourse I was expecting from a chippy-sounding caller from Ft Lauderdale, nice.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Voyager I posted:

I did enjoy the White House Counsel alternating between the boring suit man recognizing that the facts of the case were terrible and fabricating new ones that could be defended, and Dersh going completely off the rails and declaring that the President had the right to abuse their power to serve their political interests.

"This is the finest litigation I have ever witnessed. It was like the ending of a Perry Mason episode but times 1 million."

- A senator who will die in office, probably

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I can’t believe this wasn’t the end of it.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Red posted:

I can’t believe this wasn’t the end of it.

I mean it might've been too on the nose to read Dersh's comments about not liking "Liberals and Blacks" investigating Nixon.

They still should have though

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 30, 2020

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

mr schiff i have a suggestion for a slide:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/HeidiLiFeldman/status/1222668225856581634
https://twitter.com/HeidiLiFeldman/status/1222670539799572480
https://twitter.com/HeidiLiFeldman/status/1222673199428665344
https://twitter.com/HeidiLiFeldman/status/1222674517119700992

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Just heard a US Senator saying that there's no need to hear from witnesses because they've heard some people say one thing and some people say another thing so everyone's just going to have to decide for themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Arglebargle III posted:

So where are we in this trainwreck? I didn't realize they had kept going over the weekend.

Today is questions that senators submit in writing to be read by Roberts and answered by the impeachment managers and maybe also whitehouse counsel?