Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jabor posted:

Is it any better than if that Elder Scrolls game were played across three lanes instead of two?

I definitely feel like splitting things up into three entirely separate boards made it a huge pain to watch, and something like making three lanes that you see and play all at once would have been better.

Yeah even if you liked the setup the way the game actually worked/was visualized was dumb as hell to play or watch. Needed to be way more streamlined to catch on.

It's why I knew it was gonna fail - though I was surprised by how quickly and hard it failed.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I also enjoyed the game enough to put in like 70 hours or something. Then it died and then yeah just uninstalled it. The LoL card game reminds me a lot about artifact but without the random attack arrows thing (and just 1 lane)

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

CodfishCartographer posted:

Honestly the core design of "card game played across three lanes" isn't terrible, and I suspect that's more what Garfield is referring to. It is admittedly a cool gameplay puzzle of needing to manage multiple boards at once with the same deck, choosing when to abandon one board to gain an advantage in another, etc. I think a really cool and interesting game could be made of that, but artifact is NOT it.

Doesn't Gwent basically do this but in a non pain in the rear end way by not making you play the three games simultaneously?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

eric ciaramella posted:

I liked artifact too. it just needed a few tweaks to rules, some card rebalancing, and a new interesting set.

it had no advertising, no community engagement, no interest. they expected to open the doors and have people flood in. they were idiots. it's not a bad game but they botched the roll out so completely that it never had a chance.

what are you talking about? it had huge initial interest, especially for a new CCG that required an up-front cash investment to play

those player numbers dropping like a rock has nothing at all to do with insufficient advertising or w/e, and quite a lot to do with gameplay issues + lack of support on their end (and also being terrible for streaming due to the game's design)

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

i liked artifact and mainly wanted them to do more with the draft modes and some card rebalance / more interesting sets. the business model was deffo the main problem for me and I think the main reason it tanked so hard even beyond all the difficulty and gameplay stuff -- it made it impossible to talk about without someone popping up and yelling about how it was p2w and valve is just grubbing for money. all of that might well be true but I played draft a lot anyway and thought it was good.

i still have vague hope that it'll be re-released someday. who knows. i don't think it's unfixable gameplay and business wise but will players actually try it again? dunno.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

Doesn't Gwent basically do this but in a non pain in the rear end way by not making you play the three games simultaneously?

Yeah, gwent owns.

I liked artifact too and was sad to see it die such a quick death. I'll still defend it's pricing model to boot as something far prefferable to the 'free to play' card games that are much more popular.

It had it's own problems but i still think it was done dirty.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

LGD posted:

what are you talking about? it had huge initial interest, especially for a new CCG that required an up-front cash investment to play

those player numbers dropping like a rock has nothing at all to do with insufficient advertising or w/e, and quite a lot to do with gameplay issues + lack of support on their end (and also being terrible for streaming due to the game's design)

Also pay to play ranked.

Greedy fucks

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Reforged has come out and just been a total trash fire. In addition to the stuff I said, all kinds of 'Reforged' stuff is left in the game in this half-assed state - you've got models with new recorded death barks but nothing else, cutscenes with different angles seemingly just because, characters that are lipsyncing their dialogue even though the camera is now too far away to see it...

Oh, and the servers are so bad that you might not even be able to play it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Did anyone here play Scrolls, the digital TCG by Notch of candy mansion fame? The business model was pretty much the same, as was the fate of the game as far as I know. Artifact got a lot more hype and initial interest and ended up cratering more spectacularly, though.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

NmareBfly posted:

i liked artifact and mainly wanted them to do more with the draft modes and some card rebalance / more interesting sets. the business model was deffo the main problem for me and I think the main reason it tanked so hard even beyond all the difficulty and gameplay stuff -- it made it impossible to talk about without someone popping up and yelling about how it was p2w and valve is just grubbing for money. all of that might well be true but I played draft a lot anyway and thought it was good.

i still have vague hope that it'll be re-released someday. who knows. i don't think it's unfixable gameplay and business wise but will players actually try it again? dunno.

i also liked the 3 lanes mechanic and didn't even mind the random attacking/creep placement. i thought 20 bucks to do drafts as often as i wanted sounded like a pretty sweet deal :(

in addition to the bad monetization scheme the game was essentially released in beta though. the only options were an unranked mode and a second unranked unranked mode that costs money to enter

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The Moon Monster posted:

Did anyone here play Scrolls, the digital TCG by Notch of candy mansion fame? The business model was pretty much the same, as was the fate of the game as far as I know. Artifact got a lot more hype and initial interest and ended up cratering more spectacularly, though.

I did! I kinda liked it although it was obvious it was never getting anywhere.

Personally, I've been enjoying LoR a lot, it feels the void left from Artifact. I can't believe valve let this go so easily and now with Riot jumping into the genre it's even less likely Artifact will ever see success even if 2.0 does come out.

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
LoR, to me, feels like Riot saw Artifact and made literally every decision oppositely to Valve.

I'm not super into it, though I play it anyway because it's The New Card Game.

Hopefully the one thing Riot can do opposite of Valve properly is quick, consistent patching to address the faults with the game.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Hellsau posted:

Who won the $1,000,000 tournament?

I did I invested into full play set futures

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Things I remember about Artifact:
- I bought into the beta for $60 out of severe FOMO, probably the last time I will buy into a beta.
- The RNG, particularly the attack direction arrows, were unpredictable and very unfun.
- Good Windows 10 touch screen support.
- Spiky hedgehog guy.

That's literally it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Pay to play ranked was the thing that kept me from buying Artifact at launch. I feel like i'm not the only one who was waiting to see how things panned out because of that.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
I was hoping to switch from MTGO to Artifact as a competitive digital card game, but I read a few articles about Artifact's game mechanics, got immediately suspicious, and watched someone stream a few hours of Artifact and decided not to play it. What a mess.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Popete posted:

Pay to play ranked was the thing that kept me from buying Artifact at launch. I feel like i'm not the only one who was waiting to see how things panned out because of that.

Things I remember about artifcact

"Im a doggie!"

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
What’s good long haul gang https://www.gamesradar.com/artifact-2-edge-magazine/

quote:

“Artifact was an interesting failure in its first go-round." Newell tells Edge, “We were surprised. We thought that it was a really strong product.”

“We ran an experiment, we got a negative result, and now we need to see if we’ve learned anything from that, so let’s try again,” he says. “And that’s what [the Artifact team] have been doing and that’s what they’re getting ready to release. Based on the reaction to it, what was wrong with the product? How did we get there? Let’s fix those things and take another run at it.”

Edge reports that, internally, the follow-up to Artifact is being referred to as Artifact 2, though it's unclear if this will be a full blown sequel, a No Man's Sky-style comeback, or something else entirely, but Newell stresses that Valve has "to do a larger reboot in order to justify its existence to customers and to markets."

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Oh my god

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
lol if they call it artifact 2

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Blessed gabe has at last seen fit to reward the axecoin hodlers

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Refusing to fix a broken game at launch and just canning it and doing the sequel shortly after is peak Valve, because that's what they did with L4D, lol.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ufarn posted:

Refusing to fix a broken game at launch and just canning it and doing the sequel shortly after is peak Valve, because that's what they did with L4D, lol.

L4D1 was actually good and popular though. Valve just decided to ditch it instead of building on it for some reason.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Can't wait for Artwofact :D

Seriously though I've been grinding MTGA and every day I wish that competitive online Netrunner were a real thing and then barring that I wish that Artifact hadn't flopped as stupendously as it did. Judging by Valve's decision to release Alyx instead of a proper continuation to Half Life I'm sure that Valve has learned all the wrong lessons from their failures and this long haul poo poo is just going to be another disappointment.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I'll try it out :)

https://steamcommunity.com/games/583950/announcements/detail/1821083382556531528

quote:

First off, we wanted to say thanks for all of your tweets, emails and posts. The continued interest in Artifact has been encouraging, and we sincerely appreciate all of the feedback!

You might notice some changes soon – we are starting tests on our systems and infrastructure. This shouldn’t impact live Artifact but we wanted to give you a heads up.

Expect more news after the launch of Half-Life: Alyx!

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I'll start the tournament

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I'm having fun with runeterra but I'll totally try Artifact 2 when it drops. ( I mean, loving might as well considering I almost have a complete set of cards)

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I doubt anyone's cards are going to be good for anything in the relaunch. If they are then they wasted their time.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

eric ciaramella posted:

I'll start the tournament

thank you king

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Reinstalled Artifact. Played a game, matched up against a guy, level 3. This game is still attracting new players? Game was close, I lost. Queue up again. Gives me the same guy again. I slam Time of Triumph on 8 and he quits immediately. feels bad man.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

*catches ur hands*

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Artifact's problems:

Lack of progression
Horrible monetization
Boring, badly balanced, not fun

But this time for sure!!@!!

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I'll have you know that Richard Garfield basically called the game "perfect" during an interview, so you're objectively wrong.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

who are we to doubt the garf

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The basic design is bad (I still didn't think it'd tank the game since tons of poorly designed games blow up) so Garfield's insistence it's not despite the game's abject failure rules.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

It's almost like he's not actually that great at free-form game design.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
One, if not the biggest, flaw of Artifact has is that it's completely baffling to watch if you don't know how to play already (and even if you do it's not great). That Twitch campaign they had around release probably turned away far more players than it attracted.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Flayer posted:

One, if not the biggest, flaw of Artifact has is that it's completely baffling to watch if you don't know how to play already (and even if you do it's not great). That Twitch campaign they had around release probably turned away far more players than it attracted.

I genuinely never got this complaint. The card interactions were really basic.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Thirsty Dog posted:

I genuinely never got this complaint. The card interactions were really basic.

I think the core of it is that a lot of the "gameplay" is keeping a mental track of what's happening in all three lanes, future plans, etc. These kind of tasks are much more interesting for a player than for a viewer. A good streamer or whatever will explain what they're thinking and what their plans are, but that's on the player to explain to the viewer. If that's not present, casual viewers will probably have difficulty following what's happening and why they're happening because it's just hard to keep track of 3 different board states that you aren't personally interacting with. If you play the game and are used to this it becomes much easier, but otherwise it's kind of a pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.
So if they release a new game do we get anything for owning the first or did valve just pull a pump-n-dump?

and no, I haven't kept up on artifact news since it's failed release. Though I am interested in it's improvement / return if they do a good enough job that it attracts a consistent player base this time.