Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Feinstein is awful, but if that's your immediate response you're miscalibrated. She's not Manchin.

The story quotes her as saying that she was going to vote to acquit and just now changed her mind, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Doc Hawkins posted:

The story quotes her as saying that she was going to vote to acquit and just now changed her mind, so...

I'm not a Trump supporter but,

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Feinstein is awful, but if that's your immediate response you're miscalibrated. She's not Manchin.

She is a DINO who regularly sides with Republicans. She originally ran as a centrist.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

My favorite Feinstein moment was her being all gung-ho for the surveillance state until she learned that her office got bugged. Peak white lib right there.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
she will be 92 when she's next up for reelection

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I pray for her death every day.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

she will be 92 when she's next up for reelection

And she'll run and win again until the heroes can finally find and destroy her phylactery.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

I heard she eats babies

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
no no she just consumes their extracted adrenochrome

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Craptacular! posted:

I'm surprised there's not aftershocks and blackouts from Di-Fi distancing herself from the right. That's what happens when ancient things shift in California.

I sure wish she'd walk right into the ocean.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
SB 50 (housing crisis bill that makes upzoning near transit easier) is up for a vote in the senate right now!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/mlevinreports/status/1222656050651746304

https://twitter.com/mlevinreports/status/1222659689357271041

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
I swear to god this poo poo better loving pass. I would really like to not have to live with a roommate forever for the sake of protecting Orinda boomers property values.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Think it just passed 17-14??

God, our Senate is so small. Merge the houses and switch to 60 three-member districts, imo.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
It’s on hold. They have until Friday to find three more votes.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Kill Bristol posted:

I swear to god this poo poo better loving pass. I would really like to not have to live with a roommate forever for the sake of protecting Orinda boomers property values.

Got bad news on the prospect of this giving you affordable housing.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
I mean it won’t fix everything but lol if you don’t think that the housing crisis is at least partially related to how insanely little housing this state builds compared to how fast we’ve added people/jobs the last couple decades.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

Got bad news on the prospect of this giving you affordable housing.

You just posted what I was gonna say.

I have some bad news about California friend.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So what are all the SoCal senators mad about? Is this just appealing to NIMBY's or is there something else going on?

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
It’s appealing to NIMBYs and their front groups, yeah. At lot of them are up for election as county supes this cycle and NIMBYs vote in local elections. Goddamnit.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
SB50 is bad, it's market worshipping horseshit made to hand over more public space to developers to build condos that sit empty while the homeless camp in tents outside

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
“If shortage, why appartment empty?” is the “If global warming, why cold outside?” of housing discourse.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Kill Bristol posted:

I mean it won’t fix everything but lol if you don’t think that the housing crisis is at least partially related to how insanely little housing this state builds compared to how fast we’ve added people/jobs the last couple decades.

That's not the question.

The question is whether SB50 is going to actually address that.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I heard she eats babies

She just snatches them. Her criminal husband eats them between stealing from the UCs and stealing from USPS.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Centrist Committee posted:

SB50 is bad, it's market worshipping horseshit made to hand over more public space to developers to build condos that sit empty while the homeless camp in tents outside

Thanks for the update from nextdoor dot com

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Jaxyon posted:

That's not the question.

The question is whether SB50 is going to actually address that.

I don’t see how making it easier to change the insane single family zoning of many places, which was specially in many cases put in to stop poorer people/minorities from living there, could possibly make it harder to build new housing.

Like what’s the alternative? I think we should build millions more units of public housing, but that’s a “First, the revolution” type solution. Currently our entire housing/zoning/tax infrastructure is biased against density and towards pampering boomer homeowners. Anything that changes that is a good thing.

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 30, 2020

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Kill Bristol posted:

it's a giveaway to developers, who will make the most expensive housing they can, thus not dropping prices. it's not in your self-interest.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Doc Hawkins posted:

it's a giveaway to developers, who will make the most expensive housing they can, thus not dropping prices. it's not in your self-interest.

it's meant to facilitate infill in areas already occupied by lower-density housing in the vicinity of transit

the restrictive zoning that's currently in effect in these areas is just as much of a barrier to any kinda public housing as it is to any other sort of development

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

As someone who currently spends about half my paycheck on rent, it pretty clearly is in my interest for housing supply to increase. Even if “it’s all luxury housing” were true (its not), rich people moving into new luxury housing rather than competing for places to live with the rest of us in a tight market is A Good Thing.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Spazzle posted:

Thanks for the update from nextdoor dot com

The nextdoor post would be complaining about how there's not enough parking spaces, how it better not be public housing, and "i wish the city would just clear out those camps".

Doc Hawkins posted:

Correct. And there's nothing to get them to build any quicker than they're doing now.

It might get some more housing built. A bit. Not nearly enough to move the needle. That's why actual groups that are worried about affordable housing opposed it last time, and this time.

There's tons of space right now that could be built more densely. Developers aren't building there.

Kill Bristol posted:

As someone who currently spends about half my paycheck on rent, it pretty clearly is in my interest for housing supply to increase. Even if “it’s all luxury housing” were true (its not), rich people moving into new luxury housing rather than competing for places to live with the rest of us in a tight market is A Good Thing.

Not if those luxury units aren't getting built faster than demand rises.

However you're precisely the person bill is designed to fool, so I guess that works.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
That flies in the face of the actual evidence, which is that places that issue more permits and build more housing per capita are actually more affordable to live in. Seriously, it’s indefensible that places like Beverly Hills or orinda are majority zoned for single family only.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Jaxyon posted:

Not if those luxury units aren't getting built faster than demand rises.

However you're precisely the person bill is designed to fool, so I guess that works.

wE cAn'T bUiLd OuR wAy OuT oF tHiS hOuSiNg CrIsIs

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
We must defend at all costs that historic tool of liberation and the working class, single family suburban zoning ✊.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Kill Bristol posted:

That flies in the face of the actual evidence, which is that places that issue more permits and build more housing per capita are actually more affordable to live in. Seriously, it’s indefensible that places like Beverly Hills or orinda are majority zoned for single family only.

Anywhere you can build high in BH is already built that way. There's big apartment buildings anywhere near where the Purple is going to run because having a BH address means you can charge 5k for a studio.

The mansion areas aren't going to become high rises.

What's probably going to happen is people are going to get gentrified out of Inglewood like is already happening.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

wE cAn'T bUiLd OuR wAy OuT oF tHiS hOuSiNg CrIsIs

We totally can. Are you dying to find some sort of Nimby to yell at or what

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Jaxyon posted:

Anywhere you can build high in BH is already built that way.

Yes, that’s the point. Let’s change zoning so that you can build high in more places!

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Kill Bristol posted:

rich people moving into new luxury housing rather than competing for places to live with the rest of us in a tight market is A Good Thing.
Except thats not what happens. A lot of those are collected and left empty and and do nothing for you. As long as the richest people both A) have unlimited money, and B)can use "housing" as a way to park and increase their unlimited money, then developers are building places to be collected not lived in.

https://laist.com/2019/11/20/los-angeles-housing-vacancy-homeless.php

quote:

THOUSANDS OF EMPTY HOMES

Besides taking a look at L.A.'s housing market on the whole, the report also zeros in on vacancies in recently built, luxury residential housing.

Researchers analyzed 10 high-end apartment buildings in Downtown Los Angeles and 25 high-end condominium buildings around the city.

In the 10 downtown buildings, researchers found an average vacancy rate of over 70% in April 2019, using information provided by CoStar. Most of the buildings were ready to be occupied in 2018 or earlier, though two weren't completed until 2019.

These are buildings where the asking rate for a 750 square-foot, 1-bedroom apartment can soar far north of $3,000 a month.

Vacancy rates in the 10 buildings have dropped to 30% since the study was carried out, according to data supplied by CoStar to LAist. In hard numbers, that means 1,544 of 2,809 vacant units in those 10 buildings were filled between April and November.

Still, the vacancy rate in the studied buildings is well above the overall housing vacancy rate, 6.4%, for the city of Los Angeles, according to the most recent American Community Survey data (2017).

Despite the high vacancy rate, researchers suggest rents in the building remain high because the owners are betting on affluent residents moving in eventually.

"When developers put up exclusive luxury buildings that rent for more money a month than the residents currently living in a neighborhood make, they are making a speculative bet on what that neighborhood will look like in the future," the authors wrote.

The report also examined ownership records for 25 condominium buildings in Los Angeles.

Condos, unlike rented apartments, can be individually bought and sold on the real estate market. Authors claim that roughly 71% of the condos in the buildings they examined were "effectively vacant," meaning they are not used as a primary residence. They could, however, be rented out to tenants, which is not contemplated in the data.

Report authors also found that 46% of the condos they examined were owned by corporations or institutional investors.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Kill Bristol posted:

Yes, that’s the point. Let’s change zoning so that you can build high in more places!

That's not what's stopping high buildings in LA, for instance.

There's tons of places developers can already do that. They aren't. What does this bill do that would make them?

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

FRINGE posted:

Except thats not what happens. A lot of those are collected and left empty and and do nothing for you. As long as the richest people both A) have unlimited money, and B)can use "housing" as a way to park and increase their unlimited money, then developers are building places to be collected not lived in.

https://laist.com/2019/11/20/los-angeles-housing-vacancy-homeless.php

This is a misleading statistic. If you look at the vacancy rate for the bay or LA area, it’s far below the rest of the country. A few thousands units being vacant doesn’t change that. And the reason that it’s profitable to have vacant units is because a tight market means you can bet on them growing in value.

I mean if you’re arguing that we should have a vacancy tax, yeah sure, I’m ambivalent in whether or not it would have a huge effect, but it can’t hurt at this point. But there’s no way around the fact that we need more housing.

Jaxyon posted:

That's not what's stopping high buildings in LA, for instance.

Something like 75% of LA is zoned for single family only.

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 30, 2020

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Kill Bristol posted:

But there’s no way around the fact that we need more housing.

How does this bill get you that?

Do you think McMansions up in Holmby Hills are why my apartment doubled in rent at the same time as high-rise apartments grew like weeds in downtown?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Kill Bristol posted:

on the other hand, the actual market, real history, etc

Jaxyon posted:

the good news is that a lot of people and groups don't like the bill, and now they get to punish Weiner by endorsing Jackie Fielder, who puts it much more politely than I would: "Urbanist pro-housing allies need to do a better job of listening to low income people and people of color before legislating or advocating on their behalf."