Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

This is rather creepy and I expect would be terrifying if Google Earth could show that 1800' cloud layer.

Imagine if it were done in the new Flight Simulator:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Well there’s our new thread title

IIRC that or something close to it was the thread title at one point a couple years ago.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

That’s strong evidence for that panic zoom climb then lost situational awareness in the clouds theory.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Groda posted:

SVFR means 'fly as you CFIT.'

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Well there’s our new thread title
:hmmyes:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is there a post stuck in the cache?
edit: yes, there was.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Groda posted:

:drat:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Groda posted:

god
drat

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Groda posted:

I am going to steal this and use it constantly

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

Munin posted:

You get a good dose of Swiss German in all this as well which I always appreciate.

:swoon:

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Craptacular posted:

IIRC that or something close to it was the thread title at one point a couple years ago.

I, too, remember this. I think it was the title before the “last time I took a poo poo at Mach 0.8 I got locked out of the cockpit” title.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Sagebrush posted:

This is rather creepy and I expect would be terrifying if Google Earth could show that 1800' cloud layer.

Imagine if it were done in the new Flight Simulator:

So, I knew the pilot was trying to follow the highways for navigation. How good or bad an idea is this in the situation he was in? Not being a pilot myself, it sounds like something I'd do during an accidental blimp ascent.

Followup not a pilot question: why didn't the pilot do this

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Nebakenezzer posted:

So, I knew the pilot was trying to follow the highways for navigation. How good or bad an idea is this in the situation he was in? Not being a pilot myself, it sounds like something I'd do during an accidental blimp ascent.

Might not have the proper survival equipment for over water flight. Just a guess if that is a thing for helicopters and weight considerations.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Because then you're transiting the LAX Bravo and going to get plowed by a heavy arriving or departing.

Turns out large cities have complex terminal area procedures that are spelled out for good reason, including following various highways under VFR conditions.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
"Why didn't he just fly up the coastline past LAX, then?"

Because DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH I PAID FOR THIS OCEANSIDE CONDO/BEACH HOUSE/COMPOUND ONLY TO HAVE MY TRANQUILITY *SHATTERED* BY SOME gently caress IN HIS loving HELICOPTER I'LL SUE YOU reasons.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Nebakenezzer posted:

As noted it's an overwater flight and they probably didn't have the required survival equipment (that probably falls within the "life jacket for each person" regime), and it passes right through the LAX departure corridor so SOCAL/LAX probably would not have allowed that routing. Also the weather may have been just as lovely off the coast; flying under a heavy cloud layer over water is even more disorienting than doing it over land.

Following highways is perfectly fine and a decent way to navigate under the lovely SVFR they were in, since the road runs through the low points in the mountains and is an acceptable (not ideal, especially with LA traffic) emergency landing site.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Also, "I'm just going to navigate VFR out here, out of sight of land in marginal conditions."

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ardeem posted:

Also, "I'm just going to navigate VFR out here, out of sight of land in marginal conditions."

it's okay i'm sure the pilot had his ipad

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

USAF buying a couple new F15s with plans for more.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2020/01/28/air-force-moves-forward-f-15ex-fighter-jet-buy.html

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

8 jets only for now maybe. Those are gonna be some slick rear end Eagles.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Thanks for the answers, friends. It's a nice antidote to the MSM news of "IF ONLY KOBE HAD THIS COLLISION DETECTOR DEVICE HE WOULD HAVE> BEEN FINE"

The finest idea NASA had in the last decade: HAVOC

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Nebakenezzer posted:

Thanks for the answers, friends. It's a nice antidote to the MSM news of "IF ONLY KOBE HAD THIS COLLISION DETECTOR DEVICE HE WOULD HAVE> BEEN FINE"

That’s... a thing, all right. I didn’t understand that it was crewed until the last 1/3 of the video, and I’m still not sure why it needs to be crewed.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I thought of you the other day, I was in a museum and they had a WWI Zeppelin engine and one of the anti-Zeppelin darts

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cool, can’t wait to see how Boeing does with software on the the F-15E(MA)X.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The F-15 buy is generally seen as a good thing by the Eagle and C2 dudes I know.

gently caress. That feels like they were trying to get out of the clouds and figure out where they were.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BIG HEADLINE posted:

My father, pushing 70 and a former TH-57, CH-46D/E, and CH/MH-53E pilot, said that based on what he heard and saw from the record, it looks like the helicopter entered a zoom climb, probably to avoid terrain. At the top of those kinds of climbs, you go weightless, and he thinks the pilot got disoriented and/or panicked and that's what led to the crash. It might also explain why some people heard the helicopter 'laboring.'

Big Headline posted a longer version of this in the Idiots thread, and I found it interesting.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So I asked my father to email me a more specific retelling of this story, and he refused, so this is gonna be slightly paraphrased, but in light of the Kobe crash, he talked about one of his pilots doing something stupid during his command tour.

His squadron was making a run out to the USNS John Lenthall in the early 90s and one of the pilots (I won't be giving out names here even though all of them have long since retired) decided to express his frustration at the ship not being at flight quarters by buzzing the ship at 150 knots *in a CH-53E*, and doing a zoom climb to ~1000ft before coming back up to land on the pad at the back of the ship.

In doing so, he put such a stress on the rotor system that he snapped one of the shock absorbers. The helo landed safely despite "a funny noise," and the 'frustrated' pilot tells the other pilot he knows the chief engineer on the ship and he'll go below decks and ask him what those noises might mean. While he's down below decks, all loving hell breaks loose - along with the remaining shock absorbers as the helo starts to *bounce* on the deck and the springs start rocketing out of the rotor assembly and landing ~500 yards behind the ship in impressive parabolic arcs. All the sailors get wise *real* loving quick and run like hell as the rotors come loose and *thankfully* the other pilot - clued in that a bouncing helicopter making BRRRRRRTTTTWHOOOOSSSH (again, paraphrasing here) noises (the 'whoosh' noise being the sound a shock absorber makes when it's unexpectedly granted its freedom) is probably hosed up in some way, shape, or form and kills the engines. The helo had to be craned off.

He recounted this story because he thinks that might've been what happened to Kobe's helicopter - the pilot got spooked, zoom climbed too fast to allow radar to pick him up and tell him where the gently caress he was, broke a shock absorber in doing so, imbalanced his rotor system (people report having heard 'a strange noise'), and in the disorienting environment of pea soup cloud cover, the weightlessness of the apex of the zoom climb (and people probably shouting/screaming behind him as they levitated out of their seats), he lost control and the helo lawn-darted into the ground.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 30, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Nebakenezzer posted:

"This is loving awesome, it's a weird Neb post though it doesn't involve WWII aircraft or airsh.... THERE IT IS!"

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Is there some kind of data recorder in these?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Godholio posted:

gently caress. That feels like they were trying to get out of the clouds and figure out where they were.

If only there were some sort of way to fly independently from visual queues in a regime of bad visibility that could could have requested somehow, like some sort of Independent Flying Regime, we could even call it IFR for short, since aviation loves acronyms. :thunk:

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Godholio posted:

Is there some kind of data recorder in these?

Per the NTSB briefing from a few days ago, this particular airframe was not required to, and did not have a FDR equipped.

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jan 30, 2020

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

e.pilot posted:

If only there were some sort of way to fly independently from visual queues in a regime of bad visibility that could could have requested somehow, like some sort of Independent Flying Regime, we could even call it IFR for short, since aviation loves acronyms. :thunk:
What's the reason the pilot didn't do this? Was he not certified? Can you not do that in a rotary with pax without equipment he didn't have?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

evil_bunnY posted:

What's the reason the pilot didn't do this? Was he not certified? Can you not do that in a rotary with pax without equipment he didn't have?

He held current certification.

The helicopter ought to have been capable.

He was trying to saving time.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Talkie people on the music station radio were talking about Kobe today and how the helicopter would have been fine if it had 'safety features installed' [TAWS], and 'why didnt it have a black box?'

Preaching to the choir in this particular thread, but people don't blame car accidents on people not having lane assist

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

Talkie people on the music station radio were talking about Kobe today and how the helicopter would have been fine if it had 'safety features installed' [TAWS], and 'why didnt it have a black box?'

Preaching to the choir in this particular thread, but people don't blame car accidents on people not having lane assist

People also never drive in conditions that they have no business driving in either.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The no black box thing is actually something that Colbert talked for awhile about on his show. Colbert's father and two brothers died in Eastern Air Lines Flight 212 in 1974 so he feels a bit personal about air tragedies. He also apparently had a lengthy discussion about helicopter safety with the pilot for his recent shows in New Zealand. His emphasis was that we improve air safety by doing proper investigations of the root causes and all the contributing factors and that's difficult to do thoroughly when there's only wreckage left to sift through.

Yeah, it's easy to look at something like this and say the cause was simple 'getthereitis', but there could have been contributing factors that stacked the deck against them that we may never know about due to lacking the data.

Even cars today record data parameters that could be retrieved in the case of an accident. it does seem kind of silly that data recorders aren't mandated on any aircraft that can carry passengers.

This was the segment in question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1IX-MF82SI

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 30, 2020

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Like what's the ballpark number to have them?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

This poo poo is giving me flashbacks to MA370.

"How come cars can have a lojack system but planes do not? Makes you think! :thunk:"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

TAWS makes sense to not have but how does a $15mil helicopter from the 80s not have a data recorder?

brains
May 12, 2004

bull3964 posted:

The no black box thing is actually something that Colbert talked for awhile about on his show. Colbert's father and two brothers died in Eastern Air Lines Flight 212 in 1974 so he feels a bit personal about air tragedies. He also apparently had a lengthy discussion about helicopter safety with the pilot for his recent shows in New Zealand. His emphasis was that we improve air safety by doing proper investigations of the root causes and all the contributing factors and that's difficult to do thoroughly when there's only wreckage left to sift through.

Yeah, it's easy to look at something like this and say the cause was simple 'getthereitis', but there could have been contributing factors that stacked the deck against them that we may never know about due to lacking the data.

Even cars today record data parameters that could be retrieved in the case of an accident. it does seem kind of silly that data recorders aren't mandated on any aircraft that can carry passengers.

the problem is where exactly is the dividing line on the Minimum Equipment List? requiring flight data recorders is not a minor upgrade; look at how much gnashing there was over the ADS-B out requirement change across the industry- and for most aircraft that just required swapping a transponder and a small transceiver with minimal wiring. FDRs are large, heavy, and require significant wiring integration, and for most aircraft would absolutely require an STC. who's gonna pay for that design and engineering cost? certification cost? also, for the FDR systems we used in our rotary wing aircraft, the recorder alone weighted easily over 50 lbs and was roughly half the size of a computer tower- where are you going to put that in GA or light commercial aircraft without weight and balance issues? now you have to include ballast to accommodate it, and so on, etc.

i do agree with you that it absolutely makes flight investigations much more comprehensive and likely to discover a correctable cause, but it's not as simple as "just install a FDR" like the ADS-B roll out. it would require some serious investment to push that change industry-wide.

Platystemon posted:

Big Headline posted a longer version of this in the Idiots thread, and I found it interesting.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So I asked my father to email me a more specific retelling of this story, and he refused, so this is gonna be slightly paraphrased, but in light of the Kobe crash, he talked about one of his pilots doing something stupid during his command tour.

His squadron was making a run out to the USNS John Lenthall in the early 90s and one of the pilots (I won't be giving out names here even though all of them have long since retired) decided to express his frustration at the ship not being at flight quarters by buzzing the ship at 150 knots *in a CH-53E*, and doing a zoom climb to ~1000ft before coming back up to land on the pad at the back of the ship.

In doing so, he put such a stress on the rotor system that he snapped one of the shock absorbers. The helo landed safely despite "a funny noise," and the 'frustrated' pilot tells the other pilot he knows the chief engineer on the ship and he'll go below decks and ask him what those noises might mean. While he's down below decks, all loving hell breaks loose - along with the remaining shock absorbers as the helo starts to *bounce* on the deck and the springs start rocketing out of the rotor assembly and landing ~500 yards behind the ship in impressive parabolic arcs. All the sailors get wise *real* loving quick and run like hell as the rotors come loose and *thankfully* the other pilot - clued in that a bouncing helicopter making BRRRRRRTTTTWHOOOOSSSH (again, paraphrasing here) noises (the 'whoosh' noise being the sound a shock absorber makes when it's unexpectedly granted its freedom) is probably hosed up in some way, shape, or form and kills the engines. The helo had to be craned off.

He recounted this story because he thinks that might've been what happened to Kobe's helicopter - the pilot got spooked, zoom climbed too fast to allow radar to pick him up and tell him where the gently caress he was, broke a shock absorber in doing so, imbalanced his rotor system (people report having heard 'a strange noise'), and in the disorienting environment of pea soup cloud cover, the weightlessness of the apex of the zoom climb (and people probably shouting/screaming behind him as they levitated out of their seats), he lost control and the helo lawn-darted into the ground.

one thing to keep in mind is that the max gross weight of the MH-53E is 73,500 lbs, while the S-76 is only 11,700 lbs. i'm not saying you can't overstress the rotor system on a S-76 by maneuvering, but inertia matters.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I would expect to see much needed and long overdue changes to SVFR to be the outcome of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

brains posted:

FDRs are large, heavy, and require significant wiring integration, and for most aircraft would absolutely require an STC. who's gonna pay for that design and engineering cost? certification cost? also, for the FDR systems we used in our rotary wing aircraft, the recorder alone weighted easily over 50 lbs and was roughly half the size of a computer tower- where are you going to put that in GA or light commercial aircraft without weight and balance issues? now you have to include ballast to accommodate it, and so on, etc.

i do agree with you that it absolutely makes flight investigations much more comprehensive and likely to discover a correctable cause, but it's not as simple as "just install a FDR" like the ADS-B roll out. it would require some serious investment to push that change industry-wide.

Can you make a direct analog of what an FDR is like on a fixed wing craft to one that would be needed on a helicopter? How much of the size and the mass of an FDR is made to survive a plane hitting the ground at 500mph and then thousands of gallons of jet fuel burning off. I mean, the East River crash where five people were killed had recoverable video from normal run of the mill cell phones. Surely there's some sort of middle ground that would provide better data and logging over the cross section of crash profiles out there for helicopters without having to construct something that can survive creating a 12ft deep crater. Maybe it isn't as survivable and not all crashes have recoverable data, but that happens today with airliners.

But yeah, serious investment and push is something that would be required but is there really an argument against it outside of cost and effort? I'm sure similar arguments were made around putting FDRs on commercial aircraft at the time.

Above all though, it just seems weird that an industry that has learned SO much from real world accidents and have adjusted both aircraft design and crew training to make flying more and more safe just kind of turns a blind eye to this specific piece of it.