Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maekrix Waere
Jul 10, 2010
As someone who was always complete garbage at melee maps and loved customs, this news is such a gut punch to me. I admit to having been idly looking forward to doing some old customs once Reforged was out, and now that it sounds like all my favorite maps are dead not just in Reforged but also my old disc version. Well, hopefully things will change and, if not, I'm sure people will figure out a solution.

If not, though, proposal to change the name of the thread to: "WarCraft III: When Men Were Men, Orcs Were Orcs, and Customs Were"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
The 'feedback' excuse has no basis in anything for this, everything is sloppy and undone. Blaming the community is just as absurd as T.O. blaming the fans. And the butchered the World Editor as an extra gently caress you to the fans that want to try and fix poo poo.

Really just fixing the few bugs in classic WC3 and having a 're-launch' party would've been better. At least they didn't gently caress up starcraft like this.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Maekrix Waere posted:

As someone who was always complete garbage at melee maps and loved customs, this news is such a gut punch to me. I admit to having been idly looking forward to doing some old customs once Reforged was out, and now that it sounds like all my favorite maps are dead not just in Reforged but also my old disc version. Well, hopefully things will change and, if not, I'm sure people will figure out a solution.

If not, though, proposal to change the name of the thread to: "WarCraft III: When Men Were Men, Orcs Were Orcs, and Customs Were"

The servers are so hosed at the moment that even getting a custom game going seems to be a coinflip. I've tried a few times and it's like...

If you host, you may get booted from your own game immediately. If you don't, anyone who joins may get auto-booted. Then, if you manage to get players and launch it, a lot of them may desync and disconnect during loading.

If you join, you may just get booted from games. Not in the sense of being kicked by the host, but you just find yourself in the lobby again after clicking join. Then if you join and the hosts gets players and they launch, you may desync during loading.

Total crapshoot.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Maekrix Waere posted:

not an emptyquote

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
lol blizzard has removed some of the comedy voice lines you get if you click on units too much

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

drat the remastered trees look so bad. The grass has much less character too.

lol

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
why wouldn't they make the graphics better

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Holy poo poo it looks worse

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
So normal warcraft 3 is just gone now? I bought it through bnet years ago because i lost my original CDs and now that purchase has disappeared and there is no way to play it? I had assumed they just shut down the servers but it looks like the installer I used to be able to download is for reforged now.

Very cool and neat.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Dpulex posted:

Holy poo poo it looks worse

And it's so easy to fix, too! Like,

Two or three clicks and it's back to looking like it belongs in WCIII. The shadows are still hosed, but it's a start.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Horizon Burning posted:

lol blizzard has removed some of the comedy voice lines you get if you click on units too much

It's "human mating call" isn't it?

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

so blizzard actually put in work on... what, exactly?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

Contribution of IP and branding to provide fuel for the fire.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Look, taking a nap and collecting all the money through their existing structures was a lot of work, ok?

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

Probably setting the deadline

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Found the source. Looks like these guys did much the same thing (ie. pretty much all of the art) on Starcraft Remastered, so Blizzard probably contributed by botching the programming side and effectively putting the mod support to the sword.

literally a hog
Jan 5, 2006

Mandarrrrrk! Bring me the head of Dexter and Dee Dee shall forever be yours!

Andrigaar posted:

It's "human mating call" isn't it?

I think that one and the Spirit Walker saying his hoof and your rear end have an appointment from what I've read.

literally a hog fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 30, 2020

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Nice things to say about War3 remaster: The portraits having lip-sync is noticable and nice

But the portraits are rendered low res with no anti-aliasing so they look like poo poo anyways :doh:

Also, replaying the campaign, I do really love Warcraft 3. I grew up on this game. I miss it. Man I wish this remaster wasn't so lovely in so many ways.

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

That's a post from LemonSky

Blizz outsourced this poo poo lmao

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rahu posted:

So normal warcraft 3 is just gone now? I bought it through bnet years ago because i lost my original CDs and now that purchase has disappeared and there is no way to play it? I had assumed they just shut down the servers but it looks like the installer I used to be able to download is for reforged now.

Very cool and neat.

Yeah, and this is what grinds my gears.

They have effectively shut down all the OG warcraft 3 servers and if you boot up the old client it pushes you to update it into remastered.

You get the non HD remastered client for free if you own war3 which is nice, but its still poo poo because features are missing. If remaster had LAN play and offline vs AI I'd be more open to it, but they don't, so forcibly removing that option is loving horseshit.

We bought that game Blizzard, you loving assholes, we paid full price for it loving 20 years ago, and now you patch it out of existence? gently caress!

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I think it’s time to accept that blizzard is a poo poo developer that have no idea what they’re doing anymore

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I think it’s time to accept that blizzard is a poo poo developer that have no idea what they’re doing anymore

Blizz is Activision-California now and that means they're straight poo poo, yeah.

But its not that they don't know what they're doing. Its that they've become risk-averse cheapskates. Rushing out lovely mobile games to crank out max profit. The antithesis of the old "we won't sell games we wouldn't buy ourselves" Blizzard mentality.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

it was pretty clear this would be a big stinkeroonie when it was revealed during blizzcon 2018 though i didn't expect them to screw up the original game while they were at it lmao

Ash1138 posted:

that remastered warcraft 3 looks like hot garbage

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
I had high hopes because starcraft remastered was good.

For that they did cool stuff like
  • Add new features
  • Not take away old features
  • Make new art that is better than the old art instead of worse

:sigh:

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Okay, to whoever said "The interesting changes stop after the human campaign", gently caress you because I'm in the middle of the Fall of Silvermoon (gotta stop, bedtime cause I work in the morning), and the changes to this map are awesome. I get that there are gonna be less fun details like I found sprinkled through the human campaign, but holy poo poo I love what they did to this level, just the first half of it in dealing with Sylvanas.

Edit: Man, I hate feeling like the only person who actually likes the new graphics. I think they look nice. :(

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

BlazetheInferno posted:

Okay, to whoever said "The interesting changes stop after the human campaign", gently caress you

lmao

The Kins posted:

Found the source. Looks like these guys did much the same thing (ie. pretty much all of the art) on Starcraft Remastered, so Blizzard probably contributed by botching the programming side and effectively putting the mod support to the sword.

kinda bizarre that the sc remaster felt pretty much perfect whereas the war3 one is just an inconsistent shambles

Horizon Burning fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jan 30, 2020

housemaster!!1
Oct 6, 2015

DUNT 4GEHT 2 FLAAHP UR ARRMAZ
It's a real shame that Blizzard is no longer true to its original philosophy. Also the new character models are weirdly stretched, and I still can't start a game sometimes. Only the background is displayed without GUI elements. And why didn't they finally add an IDE for JASS Scripting?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

BlazetheInferno posted:

Edit: Man, I hate feeling like the only person who actually likes the new graphics. I think they look nice. :(

I like the graphics I just wish the contrast on the unit colors was way higher. I was playing a game last night and I could hardly tell the enemy blue from my allies purple. Make the player colors way brighter and contrast more with the units normal coloring.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
I feel like the new graphics are fine. I kinda liked the old graphics too.
Overall I'm pretty content with reforged, but it's certainly true though that old blizzard (good blizz) would have delayed this release. Hopefully new blizzard (evil blizz) will atleast patch it to bring this game to feature parity with WC3 classic.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Horizon Burning posted:

kinda bizarre that the sc remaster felt pretty much perfect whereas the war3 one is just an inconsistent shambles

To me it looks like the main issue is that the game was rushed out. If it had significantly less bugs, the game could at least be "fine", if underwhelming and probably still uglier (but that feels like the case with a lot of remakes these days, since obviously more pixels and polygons automatically means better graphics regardless of art direction).

Mata posted:

Overall I'm pretty content with reforged, but it's certainly true though that old blizzard (good blizz) would have delayed this release. Hopefully new blizzard (evil blizz) will atleast patch it to bring this game to feature parity with WC3 classic.

Part of it could be that the higher-ups just assume people now expect games to be broken pieces of poo poo at launch, and... I don't think they're necessarily wrong, sadly.

Zinkraptor fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jan 30, 2020

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
I do love how people on reddit are just off pirating Warcraft 3 classic, because they can't play the copy they bought anymore.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
lol so the cutscene where arthas picks up frostmourne is pretty much one of the actually reforged ones. it's so so different to all the other 'classic' ones. i wonder if there's any others they've left in for whatever reasons.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
haha so is the cutscene where he kill mal'ganis. they've kept the camera angles of classic (i think, kind of) so mal'ganis has this awkward bit where he paces out of frame and leaves 2/3s of the screen empty while he's talking

Khorne
May 1, 2002

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

The 'feedback' excuse has no basis in anything for this, everything is sloppy and undone. Blaming the community is just as absurd as T.O. blaming the fans. And the butchered the World Editor as an extra gently caress you to the fans that want to try and fix poo poo.

Really just fixing the few bugs in classic WC3 and having a 're-launch' party would've been better. At least they didn't gently caress up starcraft like this.
They totally could have crammed in 10x more work during the 3 years reforged was in development and delivered a flawless product if a handful of people blizzcon hadn't said they didn't want it.

*goes back to eating rocks*

Mata posted:

It feels very piecemeal. "Here draw/model this thing" and then no one looks at how integrates coherently with other assets or whether it fits in the actual rts game. No one is sitting there asking for revisions until it fits a unified vision. "Oh, this looks good as a single image / single model, it must be good in the game!"

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 30, 2020

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Coming back again to express my abject and complete disappointment at how Blizzard hosed up such an easy thing and it sucks because this was literally the only Blizzard title that sounded any decent after my interest in every single other Blizz title was systematically ground into dust due to a nonstop cavalcade of failure.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
as a pretty casual fan of warcraft 3, i don't really mind the graphics per se. but they're really inconsistent, and that's what bugs me. i like that a lot of the characters get unique models and the high elves all got their own stuff. but a lot of them feel stuck between more realistic stylings and the usual warcraft art style. some units are fairly faithful recreations, others are redesigns to be closer to the concept art, some are wholly different, some are - i assume - made to closer to how WoW depicted them. and even inside of those categories, some of them are just poorly done. some of them don't have animating portraits, some of them barely move, others are fine. the stuff that really sticks out to me is the in-game cutscenes - some of them have all sorts of remnants from what i assume are the reforged versions: footstep sounds, camera angles, animations, lip-syncing etc. it's so jarring. like, what the gently caress was going on with this development?

with the units, for example, part of the issue with their greebly detailing is that they were obviously supposed to be viewed up close in certain reforged cutscenes.

edit: and apparently some units are missing (apparently there's only one furion model now when there was two and the fel orc marine is missing) which messes up customs further

Horizon Burning fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 30, 2020

Chaitai
Apr 15, 2006
Nope. I got nothin' witty to go here.

College Slice
So what's to stop all these copyright-infringing custom map makers from renaming the copyrighted characters to something just slightly different? Goku becomes Guko and things like that? Wouldn't that let them keep the maps in the game? Add a little disclaimer saying any relation to characters real or fictional is purely happenstance?

Or will Blizzard just see through it an ban them anyways and that's what people are worried about?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Chaitai posted:

Or will Blizzard just see through it an ban them anyways and that's what people are worried about?
The main issue is they use copyrighted art, audio, etc. Changing a few names doesn't fix that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaitai
Apr 15, 2006
Nope. I got nothin' witty to go here.

College Slice

Khorne posted:

The main issue is they use copyrighted art, audio, etc. Changing a few names doesn't fix that.

Ah, I didn't realize they were that involved. I've never played any of them, was just thinking about how companies skirt around copyrights all the time.