Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost
Playing Cataclysm dda and Unreal World inorder to prepare for the collapse rn. This may save us all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

News just in, the virus killed everyone already and this is round two! Don't let it kill this afterlife like it did your first life!

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

For a pandemic apocalypse its moving very slowly is all im saying

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Fartbox posted:

Thats just the kind of miserable anti-climatic apocalypse this timeline would give us.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

gary oldmans diary posted:

we should all be eating bats to build our resistance

I've got a head start on that one!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Son of Rodney posted:

The important thing right now is to blindly panic and to let fear consume us.

Done

Now what’s this about a Chinese virus

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Lambert posted:

I've got a head start on that one!

Bruce Wayne: *eats bat* “I feel imbued with the power of bat!”

*collapses and dies*

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Fartbox posted:

This means we need another world war to help speed things along. :smugdon:

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Son of Rodney posted:

I don't want to spread any baseless rumors but I heard up to a billion Chinese are now dead and the horseman of the apocalypse, plague, has been seen with Xi jinping.

Now this is only third hand rumors I read in a toilet Stall in a Chinese restaurant (run by Koreans) but with those inscrutable Chinese you never know!

:captainpop:

Wow. The virus is really taking off. Wonder what the real numbers are. :tinfoil:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I have seen it

The procession of Chinese going to the valinor

Trust the plan

Q

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

I've just ordered 500 MRes on Amazon to ride out the horsemen. I advise you guys do too if you want to live.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fartbox posted:

Not really though, even if you take the Chinese numbers at face value it is quickly spreading.

And it's pretty commonly putting normally healthy people in China in the hospital with viral pneumonia so your other post is reality-denying bullshit, too

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

https://twitter.com/barnaby_flower/status/1222823182291226627

Looks like all the 13 year olds on SA will be safe...

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Alan Smithee posted:

I have seen it

The procession of Chinese going to the valinor

Trust the plan

Q

I beat this disease came from one of these starseeds.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Jamsta posted:

the dates under usernames are how old the account is not how old the user is lol

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

the dates under usernames are how old the account is not how old the user is lol

yeah most of SA are now 30s/40s.. mental age is another thang... (speaking for myself)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Jamsta posted:

Lol you think this dead gay forum is hip with the fortnite zoomer set

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Jamsta posted:

I've just ordered 500 MRes on Amazon to ride out the horsemen. I advise you guys do too if you want to live.

Be sure to also stock up on mira-lax, the gum won't save you from the godawful turds they produce.

Alan Smithee posted:

Lol you think this dead gay forum is hip with the fortnite zoomer set

Half the people still on SA probably have kids that age, assuming they managed to reproduce.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I would quite frankly be surprised as he'll if there was more than a handful of goons under 18. Maybe a Dozen under 20. We are not only not cool but virtually unknown at this point.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
So I've come down with fever, sore throat and a cough. Also I'm surrounded daily by mainland Chinese students.

looks like the end of the line for me boys

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Fojar38 posted:

But for most of the factors you listed, there is also an inverse correlation between their prominence and the likelihood of a severe pandemic. IE places where most of those factors are most applicable (developed countries) are also the places that have proven to be most resistant to severe pandemics.

This seems to suggest that a lot of the things you listed are actually net positives when it comes to reducing the likely severity of an outbreak.

Like yeah, more people live in cities, but that means more ready access to health care for most people. More people are reliant on medical infrastructure because medical infrastructure has improved by a factor of a hundred. People are often reliant on supply chains for food but that means that there are uniform sanitary and storage standards for everyone's food (mind you, the reason for this current outbreak is because a colossal number of people in China, even in cities, are partially reliant on wild game for their diets)

Infrastructure maintainence requirements are higher now because infrastructure is better, including most critically, sanitation infrastructure. The vast majority of households in 1918 still didn't have indoor plumbing and the idea of sewage treatment was only just starting to gain traction.

What about the 23 million people with immune systems compromised with HIV in Sub-Saharan Africa? Wouldn't they be devastated by a pandemic?

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Italian cruise ship on lockdown after two passengers suspected of having coronavirus, thousands stuck on board.

Not a great holiday.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fartbox posted:

It's just a flu though

lol

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Jamsta posted:

There's a 9 month old in Beijing that has it.

Even China in their report this morning said suspected cases went up from 8k to 12k.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Russia has closed its borders.

We wait with baited breath to see if Madagascar reacts.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Italian cruise ship on lockdown after two passengers suspected of having coronavirus, thousands stuck on board.

Not a great holiday.

Turns out the two passengers are Jack and Jill

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Not a great holiday.

sink the ship. anyone on a cruise is already beyond redemption

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
The current US flu season has killed 54 infants so far, according to CDC. And in the first two weeks of 2020, the flu has killed more than 5,000 people in the US, mostly through associated pneumonia

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Russia has closed its borders.

We wait with baited breath to see if Madagascar reacts.

Lol

If Madagascar closes we are all hosed.

The lemurs will live on though.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

SHUT

DOWN

EVERYTHING

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Not a great holiday.

Yeah and now they might have coronavirus!

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Can't the Italians put the cruise passengers in a local hotel or something? At least put the 2 sick passengers in the hospital first.

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Armadillo Tank posted:

that 90k dead number can from a mistranslation on twitter of a chinese post saying 90k suspected cases. check the CSPAM thread

Backweb posted:

That's very possible. I was getting the info third-hand anyway. I'll double check with my friend where she heard it and how sure she is.

stephenthinkpad posted:

The 90k number was from a fake video from Epoch Times (AKA the Falun gong newspaper) released on Chinese new year day.

My friend in Hong Kong finally responded. She got herself all worked up and used the wrong word. Turns out she meant 90,000 infected, not dead. But yeah, even that source is unverified. Sorry about the wrong info.

Between the nonstop protests, the virus spreading in her city, possibly having been exposed to the virus herself (from confirmed-infected Wuhan people staying in her building), and knowing how overwhelmed China's hospitals are... I suppose I can't blame her.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Jamsta posted:

I just bought some rice and canned beans, but okay.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
I can’t think of anything worse than death by cruise ship

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug

Lambert posted:

I just bought some rice and canned beans, but okay.

Get some lentils too, and don't forget to stock up on toilet papers, soap, and other hygiene products too. Got to keep yourself clean even during the end times

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Somebody in a chinese forum i go to brought 500kg of rice. He had a photo of wall of rice and his kid sleeping on it.

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost

Son of Rodney posted:

I would quite frankly be surprised as he'll if there was more than a handful of goons under 18. Maybe a Dozen under 20. We are not only not cool but virtually unknown at this point.

My birthday was in October :kiddo:

bones 4 beginners
Jan 7, 2018

"...a masterpiece that no one can read too often, or admire too much."

stephenthinkpad posted:

Somebody in a chinese forum i go to brought 500kg of rice. He had a photo of wall of rice and his kid sleeping on it.

Post the grain wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

Can't the Italians put the cruise passengers in a local hotel or something? At least put the 2 sick passengers in the hospital first.

I can’t tell if this is a serious post or not.