Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I do think the game encourages you to save some points for checks and some skills are checked actively more than others. The game is more interesting when you don't do that and instead invest in whatever you want so you hear those passives, but there's nothing in the game that tells you that.

I also think the game could be more open about the break points for passives. It lists what kind of success you got, so you can infer, but it would be nice to know at a glance if my half light is normal, challenging, or impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

music chat reminded me of something

there is a great, great moment which I think can be easily missed but make sure that when the opportunity comes you ask Klaasje about funk music (there might be some background checks involved)

she touches your face, scratches your sideburns and says something to the lines of "dear God, if disco music did this to you, I can't imagine how could you possibly handle funk"

theme from SWAT starts playing, Harrier du Bois IS A DETECTIVE ON THE EDGE WITH NOTHING TO LOSE

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

So I was gifted this and I'm at the last area and I'm about to become the most unpopular poster in this thread. I don't think this game is very good. It's like a demo of the dialogue system which I don't think is very special. Instead of skills giving you new options to reply with they interject during dialogue. It's just a change in what words go where. Conversations are still basically exhaust the dialogue tree. Maybe you'll make a skill check slightly harder once and while if you say too much or the wrong thing but that's pretty trivial when exhausting dialogue also has the incentive of giving you the most xp. The dialogue itself also isn't anything special. For a game that's supposed to have such a deep take on politics it seemed to me to have only a base level understanding on what that actually means and any political statements are treated more as a punchline than having any actual impact.

For that matter not much seemed to have an impact on how things played out, I felt pretty railroaded throughout the whole thing. The skill system doesn't help with that and the lack of combat actually hurts in that regard. I wanted to play a guy who does a lot of drugs but never put a single point in electrochemistry because the game heavily encourages you to save your skill points until you need to retry a check and I don't think I ever came across a single electrochemistry check. My highest skill ended up being the cop one because that's the one I had to retry the most checks on. Most games could just say oh you put points into what you thought was cool instead of what's needed here, well you can fight your way through as a last resort but that obviously isn't an option if combat doesn't really exist.

It's good that they tried something different with rpg dialogue and with some tweaking to the system it'd work great, but as a whole it's just not a very good game. Pillars of eternity 2 has a similar conflict between systems of government, which I realize isn't the true focus of this game, but Pillars 2 does it much better and is also actually a full game (don't think I'm saying that it's the greatest game ever, it's not). This one has to be given some additional credit since it's an indy game but I'd still give it like a C grade overall.

Oh and one more thought I had while playing it: For a game with "disco" in it's title the music is not very disco and really pretty bad.

the music in the game is good actually

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Personally, I thought this game had absolutely the perfect amount of disco (and a surprising but refreshing melange of inferno and elysium).

Horizon Burning posted:

extremely obvious bait post lmao

That opinion made me smile, but in that Half Light, flayed man kind of smile.

twistedmentat posted:

I save scummed once and it felt like I had kicked a puppy so no.

You're right to steer clear. It's a dark path, but also the only one I know =/

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Jack Trades posted:

I'm totally baffled at how it's even possible to misunderstand a game THAT much.

Explains why so many modern games lead you by the nose when devs have to deal with people like that.

I don't think I misunderstood it at all. I finished it in 20 hours and completely solved the case, read every line of dialogue and saw every place available. The game itself seemed to think I did pretty good in the last scene. One of the reasons it was so easy is because I always kept skill points banked instead of spending them before I needed to retry a check. I think I cleared like 95% of checks you can retry in the game and while you definitely don't need to go to that length to finish it the first time playing you don't know which are optional and gently caress doing even more backtracking later, just clear it right there.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

I don't think I misunderstood it at all.

I finished it in 20 hours and completely solved the case, read every line of dialogue and saw every place available. The game itself seemed to think I did pretty good in the last scene. One of the reasons it was so easy is because I always kept skill points banked instead of spending them before I needed to retry a check. I think I cleared like 95% of checks you can retry in the game and while you definitely don't need to go to that length to finish it the first time playing you don't know which are optional and gently caress doing even more backtracking later, just clear it right there.

Sorry to tell you that but the fact that you think that this game is about "clearing all the skill checks" proves my point.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Jack Trades posted:

Sorry to tell you that but the fact that you think that this game is about "clearing all the skill checks" proves my point.

Sure I'll just wander around the same boring map for awhile longer for some reason. I read all the dialogue, the skills I wanted to come up a lot in the dialogue did. I clicked everything you could in the world. It's just not a very good game.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Now that you've got the successful, overly cautious Boring Cop run out of the way, you're free to roll up a multitude of disastrous fuckups and see how they blunder through the story!

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Lol I, the bug dummy, just realised the title is (among other things) a play on Disco Inferno

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

If your first playthrough wasn't extremely sad Communist cop you probably did play it wrong.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Sure I'll just wander around the same boring map for awhile longer for some reason. I read all the dialogue, the skills I wanted to come up a lot in the dialogue did. I clicked everything you could in the world. It's just not a very good game.

"I finished the book because I turned all the pages. What, you want me to read all those little words too? gently caress that. That's not what a book is about. A book is a bunch of paper you move and then you're done."

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jan 30, 2020

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

It's just not a very good game.

if the troll wasn't obvious enough you're going on record with this, okay

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
I love trying to impress Rene and failing.

"Yeah, I'm sort of a veteran myself. Just this morning I punched out a 12 year old kid. It's okay though I later gave him some drugs, we're cool now."

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017

UnknownMercenary posted:

If your first playthrough wasn't extremely sad Communist cop you probably did play it wrong.

Guess what that's pretty much how I played. The communist part is pretty much inconsequential. It's a punchline.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

"I finished the book because I turned all the pages. What, you want me to read all those little words too? gently caress that. That's not what a book is about. A book is a bunch of paper you move and then you're done."

The post says right there I read it all. It wasn't very compelling to me.

GokuGoesSSj69 fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jan 30, 2020

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i played pretty much the sa,me way my first playthrough and enjoyed it.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Guess what that's pretty much how I played. The communist part is pretty much inconsequential. It's a punchline.

Bearing in mind that you didn’t like the writing overall, which characters did you feel were the most compelling and what about them do you think might have sparked your interest in them?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I can totes appreciate if someone doesn't dig the game, fair enough. It's not for everyone. That said, if the end result is a person saying "I read all the words and clicked all the little people, what now?" then it must be said that you're either oblivious to how good the writing really is, or you went into the game with an attitude of "eh, this can't really be that good."

Also, just because a person clicks through all the dialogue they see, does not mean that's all the dialogue there is. Nor should you click everything to begin with.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

I don't think I misunderstood it at all. I finished it in 20 hours and completely solved the case, read every line of dialogue and saw every place available.

If you kept most of your skillpoints banked there was plenty of dialogue you never saw.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017

Prop Wash posted:

Bearing in mind that you didn’t like the writing overall, which characters did you feel were the most compelling and what about them do you think might have sparked your interest in them?

Probably Klaasje because she's extremely shady. The interactions with her are probably the best use of the inner voices in the game too. I didn't arrest her though I liked the Hardie Boys for their sense of loyalty too. There's not a ton of other characters even, it's not a very long game.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017

GlyphGryph posted:

If you kept most of your skillpoints banked there was plenty of dialogue you never saw.

Most of the game I only had one or two banked. I had like 6 or 7 thoughts too. They got spent. Obviously you won't see absolutely everything in one run the way the dialogue system is but if anything I saw more that way instead of just blindly assigning them to one or two skills because skills like perception that started pretty low ended up being decent and would come up more in dialogue.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

chaosapiant posted:

I can totes appreciate if someone doesn't dig the game, fair enough. It's not for everyone. That said, if the end result is a person saying "I read all the words and clicked all the little people, what now?" then it must be said that you're either oblivious to how good the writing really is, or you went into the game with an attitude of "eh, this can't really be that good."

hmm i wonder which one it is

quote:

For a game that's supposed to have such a deep take on politics it seemed to me to have only a base level understanding on what that actually means and any political statements are treated more as a punchline than having any actual impact.

i'm sure gokugoessj3 will drop an epic political thesis on us about how DE got politics wrong or something

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Okay?

I mean, what did you want from a game? If you don't like RPGs or text adventures etc., then yeah, you won't like this, but that's a you thing, not a DE thing.

I don't particularly like Call of Duty but that's because I don't like PVP FPS shooter games because I don't have the reflexes for them, but I don't think they're bad games, they're just bad games for me. This game might just not be the sort of thing you like, doesn't mean it's bad.

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

. The dialogue itself also isn't anything special. For a game that's supposed to have such a deep take on politics it seemed to me to have only a base level understanding on what that actually means and any political statements are treated more as a punchline than having any actual impact.

It's very Eastern European; everything is bad and flawed. The "depth" isn't so much that the game contains deep analysis of individual political theories, but rather that it shows a society where all politics have failed, horribly, and then allows the characters to have human reactions to those nested failures.

It's not about political theory as such; it's about human beings. To the extent it is about politics, it's not about political theory, it's about human beings trying to make sense of a world that doesn't.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jan 30, 2020

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
Finished the first playthrough almost a month ago, been lurking this thread ever since. 28 hours, give or take. Easily one of the best experiences I had with any media, not just games, in a long while.

Didn't catch the Horrible Necktie - suicide attempt connection until reading about it here. It makes so much sense in hindsight, I'd be very surprised if it's not the case, as much as I'd prefer it not to be.

Also, same as a few people here, the phasmid thing hit me like a motherfucker. I don't recall ever full-on crying from a videogame before, at least. Almost feels like the phasmid was the point of the game, really, and it's remarkable how smooth it felt, like it's completely out of left field, yet everything just seemed to fall into place and create this magical, uplifting moment. Some great analysis here on what it means exactly and why it hits as it does, reading all the great takes probably amplified the whole experience for me, thx!

Also, as a eastern european, I don't think people who are not eastern european realise just how eastern european this game is. It's off the charts. By far the most eastern european media I've encountered in a good while, in a very subtle way.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

UnknownMercenary posted:

Excuse you, Detective Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau is a SUPERSTAR Communist. :colbert:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Hogama posted:

Excuse you, Detective Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau is a SUPERSTAR Communist. :colbert:

That doesn't mean he can't be sad at the same time. "I'M GONNA BUST THIS CASE WIDE OPEN FOR THE COMMON MAN oh god my life is a wreck please don't talk to me LOOK KIM, A CLUE!"

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Nah just disappointed that was pretty much the only choice like that. I wouldn't even say it was much of a grey area I didn't talk to that lady again after telling her to gently caress off the first time I talked to her.

The game doesn't present itself like that at all though. There's constantly tips that say you can retry white skill checks. The map shows where checks you can re-do are. I get most of them during dialogue are hidden but I don't really care if encyclopedia interjects with more worthless facts or whatever compared to saving a point to retry a check and progress in the game. Are you supposed to just save scum a bunch? Passing skill checks is totally how you progress. There may be multiple possible skill checks you can choose between but you still need to pass one of them. Like when you need to find Ruby, unless the handful of guides I just double checked missed something, there's two skill checks to choose between, and you HAVE to pass one of them to progress in the game. The check before that (shivers) there isn't even an alternative to, you HAVE to pass it or the ways in won't even be clickable.

It's the opposite of games like PoE really where like I said if you don't have the skill check to pass an obstacle in dialogue you can fight or maybe steal or whatever to progress. The way I see the system the building of your character happens when you assign stats at the beginning and pick up thoughts along the way. Putting skill points in something during the game is for retrying checks.

So this is wrong. Passives don't just give you comments, that is only one part. What you missed by not putting points into Electrochemistry, for example, is if you did Harry is no longer able to resist his chemical dependencies, and Electrochemistry will start GIVING YOU quests that you cannot turn down for an escalating amount of drugs.

I think you think the skill points make you "better" at a skill, but they don't. They make you more defined by that. So if you were waiting for something to come along that is "hard" and "requires" Electrochemistry, you'd never see it. If instead you put points there, Harry becomes unable to deal with his addictions (counter intuitively, he is "worse" at it the higher the skill) and you play through that lense. In your desire to make a druggy cop you instead made him straight edge. Again, that is not the game's fault.

Keeping skills banked to pass plot points is why you got the thought cabinet "Boring Cop". That's fine, but you chose that path, the game didn't. I played it reasonably straight because I really like the "Can Opener" cop thing which ran pretty close to boring.

Again, its perfectly reasonable that you didn't like the game but you are presenting it as if there was something fundamentally badly designed about the game but it should be clear that you came into it with wildly off-base expectations. That's fine, but again, not the game's fault.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Lockback posted:

If instead you put points there, Harry becomes unable to deal with his addictions (counter intuitively, he is "worse" at it the higher the skill) and you play through that lense. In your desire to make a druggy cop you instead made him straight edge. Again, that is not the game's fault.

I thought this was one of the most clever bits of design in the game - like, I realized that by putting more points into Encyclopedia, it went beyond "know the make and model of this one particular car" and directly to "become an insufferable nerd-lord." It's also probably the part of the game that completely throws off people expecting a traditional, "more numbers = more better" approach to character-building in a game. I for one am planning a second playthrough with the whole "fail forward" mindset, since I think I didn't quite understand that it's ok to fail a check the first time through.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Re: Favourite Skills, mine had to be Volition -

Trying to be hypersane and avoid more destructive urges while rationalising it as better behaviour up until the breaking point - when Volition admits its no better then the other skills, it failed you too. is something very identifiable for me

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Do skills actually force you to do (or not do) things? I def had times when a skill was pushing me to take a drug or get drunk but I just didn’t.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Avalerion posted:

Do skills actually force you to do (or not do) things? I def had times when a skill was pushing me to take a drug or get drunk but I just didn’t.

You are captain of the ship, baby.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Avalerion posted:

Only other people's skills, like when Kim uses his Authority on you.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

You're the captain of the ship, and that ship's name? The Obra Dinn

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

nurmie posted:

Also, as a eastern european, I don't think people who are not eastern european realise just how eastern european this game is. It's off the charts. By far the most eastern european media I've encountered in a good while, in a very subtle way.

I wonder what the crossover is between "game bad" or "I don't see what the big deal is" or "this game is centrist as hell" or "this game is irony poisoned" or "this game is joking not joking fascist" and playing it as JUST a game ie save scumming or banking your skill points instead of trying to play a character or straight up just hate playing it because of the attention it's garnered or not being able to see any themes because they haven't had to struggle because of privilege. Idk if I'm getting my point across. I'm not very articulate. Also, not calling anyone out in particular and also not saying it's a perfect game and everyone should play it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Caufman posted:

You're right to steer clear. It's a dark path, but also the only one I know =/

I think the best approach in this game if you’re tempted to save scum is keep multiple saves, but don’t use them until you finish the game. If you feel like you want to go back and change something, you can, but you also end up with an “authentic” first playthrough.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I savescummed once when a description was not at all the intended action I wanted. Like I thought it meant literally the exact opposite of what Harry did. Otherwise, yeah I think its a better game to play through. Again, some of the failures gives you "Better" outcomes (like failing the savoire faire roll at the beginning when talking to the hotel manager).

Avalerion posted:

You can get quests from skills (or lack of them), and passing/failing a check can open or remove dialogue. So in a sense it forces you to go through a scenario which might have limited outcomes.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 30, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Watching the recent The Tick and just got to the scene where The Tick upon questioning admits he has no memory of anything beyond a few days ago, and gets confused and doesn't accomplish much without Arthur to give him some direction and it was mighty familiar.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
At the risk of being terribly boring, if the game didn't particularly touch you that's fine. Art is like that. Maybe it's not very relevant to your life. Like, I found the game interesting, moody and thematic. I loved it to bits. Poking at the Doomed Commercial District plot and the Church/Club plot which I guess are missable definitely helps. But the politics of the piece don't feel like they matter to me. I'm pretty sure actually inform most of the things I like in the game. As is often said, everything in life is about politics. Can you trust the food you buy not to kill you? How much does petrol cost? etcetc. To me this is about being a man putting himself together and navigating the space. I have no sympathy for the workers union because there's no information on why they need the strike. Of course it's actually hard to rise up if you have been ground down to poverty which is why it's such a popular tactic for rule.

Boring context paragraph : But, my parents were middle class. I did not make it big, nor did I get horribly hosed by the rich in an obvious way. Well. Before recent UK politics that are a huge fing tangent. Things are alright, changing things will probably make them worse for me is how most of my life has been. So you know, I'm naturally centrist. Oh god, now I'm seeing CW: RL politics whinge. the dockworker's secession from the Moralintern as Brexit. Except of course, they have a plan and trade deals so it's not alike at all.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Time for an all 6 all star cast. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FIzK7mzaAz-KLIwrKb6gj0w7hGqaaU0a/view <edited save file.
A Bitfeenix Portal was just delivered, I have lots of things to do, but its time to Make Garte Make Me All the Drinks

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
I think the White Checks inadvertantly cause most players to play wrong by allowing them to try again or pump points into skills that are counter to the characters they want to play just for the sake of progression.

I think it may have worked better to either make everything a red check. Either your character has the traits to pass or doesnt, with luck of the dice thrown in. That or keep white checks, but dont tell ypu what skill is required to pass them.

I also think that there should have been way more health and morale damages based on exhausting all dialogue trees to make players think twice about saying thing just for the sake of saying them.

Ive finished the game 3 times now, as three different types and its way more interesting to see things unfold when you keep to your character build. For example, you miss a LOT if you very poor Visual Calculus or Conceptualization, but your PHY skills allow you a different approach.

And maybe your lack of certain skills makes you miss important things entirely, but that would be part of playing as a dumb brute for example.

TommyGun85 fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Tylana posted:

At the risk of being terribly boring, if the game didn't particularly touch you that's fine. Art is like that. Maybe it's not very relevant to your life. Like, I found the game interesting, moody and thematic. I loved it to bits. Poking at the Doomed Commercial District plot and the Church/Club plot which I guess are missable definitely helps. But the politics of the piece don't feel like they matter to me. I'm pretty sure actually inform most of the things I like in the game. As is often said, everything in life is about politics. Can you trust the food you buy not to kill you? How much does petrol cost? etcetc. To me this is about being a man putting himself together and navigating the space. I have no sympathy for the workers union because there's no information on why they need the strike. Of course it's actually hard to rise up if you have been ground down to poverty which is why it's such a popular tactic for rule.

Yeah, I got more out of the people and the metaphysics than I did about the politics, but I think it's one of those things that bites you or not. In my playthrough I actually noped out of the strike pretty much right away since I figured it was a red herring to the murder, which was sorta right? And I really, really thought Ruby had my gun which, my poor gun

TommyGun85 posted:

I think the White Checks inadvertantly cause most players to play wrong by allowing them to try again or pump points into skills that are counter to the characters they want to play just for the sake of progression.

I think it may have worked better to either make everything a red check. Either your character has the traits to pass or doesnt, with luck of the dice thrown in. That or keep white checks, but dont tell ypu what skill is required to pass them.

I also think that there should have been way more health and morale damages based on exhausting all dialogue trees to make players think twice about saying thing just for the sake of saying them.

Yeah, I mostly agree with this. I think the white checks mixed with clothing being so powerful mixed with the fact that you get skills pretty fast (which is good, but has inadvertent consequence) could lead you to thinking white checks were the point of the game.