Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

nooneofconsequence posted:

Lately I've been seeing a bunch of dudes intentionally lifting their rear end as high as possible while benching. Did I miss a memo? Is this okay now?

I've only seen this from someone doing floor bench press. ok there's no bench involved so not sure what to call it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

VorpalFish posted:

Anyone else get a bunch of burst capillaries when doing max effort sets at like... 85-90% plus intensity? How concerning is it that I look like I have a bunch of hickies after deadlifting?

it me

but mainly with deadlifts, not sure why.

oh well I'll take it over pissing on the lifting platform.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

a dude and his wife spent 1.5 hours in the squat rack yesterday doing pullups and pushups (they've been doing this most mornings for the last couple weeks). The dedicated pullup bar a few feet away was left unused. They were doing pushups next to the squat rack in the way of anyone trying to rack weights in the next power rack. V frustrating to watch, especially when they aren't using any of the weights and basically taking up 1.5 racks worth of space. Pretty sure they both curled the bar too.

bomb fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 28, 2020

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
99% of people that do stuff like that don't understand that it is rude to the gym elite to take up unnecessary equipment. thankfully we're born with this blessed piece of equipment attached to our face called a mouth and we can talk to them about it

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I don't understand how people don't know that though. I was aware of most gym etiquette before I even started going.

"Someone else might want to use this" just seems obvious!

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Not if the most important person in the world is *you*

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I passively inspired my coworkers to start working out and dieting by getting progressively more fit over the last couple of years and one of them blew his back deadlifting 115 lbs yesterday lol

RamboMoe
Aug 12, 2005

This account was a birthday gift from my brother. I wanted an RC car. Fuck you.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I don't understand how people don't know that though. I was aware of most gym etiquette before I even started going.

What person A considers correct gym etiquette is not the same as person B. I was training in a small commercial gym a few years ago, and often I could tell some of the regulars was growing tired of waiting for me to be finished with the squat rack while I was doing a typical powerlifting workout of 6 sets with 4 minute pauses. You see, these guys where used to the "5-10 minutes at each machine, then wipe it clean and continue"-workout that they probably got from the gym staff when they signed up, and there was I, apparently hogging the only squat rack for 40 minutes and taking long brakes. I of course asked them if they would like to work in between my sets, and it was clear from their response that sharing a squat rack was an entirely foreign concept for most of them.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Speaking of, I had a dude last week act like a bitch because I took a couple 10 plates from the bench he was using (they were on the rack still, not on the bar). I loaded them on the Hammer Strength machine I was using, did my sets, then he came over & complained that he "was about to use those plates".

I gave them back...then he went back to the bench, put them on the bar, sat down & played with his loving phone for a solid 10 minutes before doing his next bench set. Yeah bro, you were really "using" those plates all right :jerkbag:

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

itskage posted:

Lol look at all of these olds don't know about assupbenchup invented by coach Cameron Krug

https://instagram.com/lord_krug?igshid=1gqpx2kd6y2eg

Wut is this

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

UnfurledSails posted:

I passively inspired my coworkers to start working out and dieting by getting progressively more fit over the last couple of years and one of them blew his back deadlifting 115 lbs yesterday lol

Show them this before they can castrophize too much and make the problem snowball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riq-DfDDimc&t=1s

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

99% of people that do stuff like that don't understand that it is rude to the gym elite to take up unnecessary equipment. thankfully we're born with this blessed piece of equipment attached to our face called a mouth and we can talk to them about it

Isn't there something more passive aggressive I could do like leave sticky notes about not doing curls/push ups in the squat rack for an hour and a half? Telling them they bad would only discourage them and I have a feeling they will fizzle out in a couple weeks anyway because they are cardio bunnies.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

My gym used to have a no curls in the squat rack sign. Then they painted and it disappeared. Not that people followed it anyway.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Lord Krug is by FAR the best account on Instagram.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

UnfurledSails posted:

I blew out my back rowing 135 a few years ago because I had no idea how to row

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

barkbell posted:

I blew out my back rowing 135 a few years ago because I had no idea how to row

I tore my triceps tendon on a 95lb warmup set on bench...

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Fhqwhgads posted:

I tore my triceps tendon on a 95lb warmup set on bench...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abSWAj6JyEI

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Almost saw a dude die benching tonight. Older guy I see all the time always doing partial reps with too much weight and terrible form. I hear a loud crash and he's standing with 1 end of a bar with 225 racked and the other end on the floor, collared. I'm not even sure how he did it. Thankfully he was smart enough to ask for a spot from someone when he worked his way up to 3 plates.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
People not repping & using too much weight is way too common at the gym I go to. I did legs last night & while I was leg pressing, a guy next to me on hack squat was doing that backward squat thing (with his chest facing toward the pad instead of his back on it), doing way too much weight & not even getting quarter reps. He started with 4x45 plates each side & worked up to like 6x45 plates but wasn't even moving the rack 6 inches doing his "reps". It was really sad & scary to watch, if you can't do a full rep, drop the weight & save your pride/ego so nobody has to pull your crushed, crumpled dumb rear end out of the machine later.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Everyone knows a Grandpa Badform it seems. I knew one who worked out at my previous rec center, didn't matter what he was exercising it was always overloaded and ten percent rom. God he sucked.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

So on my rest days I've been doing this new turkish getup complex I've been developing.

With the heaviest kettlebell you can snatch with proper form:
* Start on weak side and do a turkish getup to standing position
* Pull down into a swing, do a single handed swing
* Do a clean
* Do a clean and press
* Do a snatch
* Pull down into a swing and switch hands
* Repeat clean/clean+press/snatch
* Complete turkish getup on strong side
* Repeat movement starting with strong side to weak side to complete a full set.

Rinse and repeat until ur ded, bonus points if you can do 3 sets without putting down the bell.

bomb fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 29, 2020

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

MA-Horus posted:

it me

but mainly with deadlifts, not sure why.

oh well I'll take it over pissing on the lifting platform.

99% of the time it's deadlifting for me too. I assume it's because I can deadlift substantially more weight with it than the others.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

bomb posted:

So on my rest days .

:words:

Rinse and repeat until ur ded

I... uhh... :psyduck:

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

itskage posted:

I... uhh... :psyduck:

Dude, it's simple. Since it's not a barbell but a superior kettlebell you don't fatigue at all. :boom:

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

No rest for the wicked.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Just spent nearly my entire gym time emergency making GBS threads.

Didn't know cut time was coming so soon.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Just spent nearly my entire gym time emergency making GBS threads.

Didn't know cut time was coming so soon.

I am trying to ride out a Crohn's flare without medication and honestly I have never looked better

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Nothing tastes as good as thin cut feels.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

this is the no cross fit zonnr

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Helios Grime posted:

Dude, it's simple. Since it's not a barbell but a superior kettlebell you don't fatigue at all. :boom:

Note the part that says heaviest bell you can snatch, and its a rest day thing. You will feel fatigued pretty quickly.

Doesn't count as crossfit since getups aren't burpies.

Also feel free to do it with a barbell, barbell getups are awesome, just ignore the swing portion. Although you lose the asymetical benefits. Dumbells are fine too.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

VorpalFish posted:

Just signed up for my first powerlifting meet in Feb. Time to embarrass myself!

Have fun! It’s mostly very boring waiting around, a slow ramp up of tension when you warm up, topped with quick bolts of adrenaline when you’re lifting.

I did my first meet last Fall not knowing anyone there and folks are mostly friendly. Enjoy yourself, compete against yourself, and figure out what you want from it. You might even want to do more. A meet gives you a solid goal to aim for, which is fun and structured.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

bomb posted:

Note the part that says heaviest bell you can snatch, and its a rest day thing. You will feel fatigued pretty quickly.

Doesn't count as crossfit since getups aren't burpies.

Also feel free to do it with a barbell, barbell getups are awesome, just ignore the swing portion. Although you lose the asymetical benefits. Dumbells are fine too.

The point of a rest day is to not fatigue yourself. Hope that helps.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

ultrafilter posted:

The point of a rest day is to not fatigue yourself. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the hot tip, I'm sure I'm not the only one that does conditioning on rest days.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
Youre trying to change the meaning of rest day to win your argument

RamboMoe
Aug 12, 2005

This account was a birthday gift from my brother. I wanted an RC car. Fuck you.
It's still a rest day from the main barbell movements

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I mean, what difference does it make if something is a rest day or not, if the end result is good and enough rest was had.

bomb does a lot of stuff, more than I'd be able to do. If he can though, respect.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
Plenty of people do conditioning on rest days and plenty of people even do complexes on rest days for whatever reason. The issue is more repeating the process until your dead and most people shouldn't be doing something like that as part of a smart program. If you can do it and keep making progress on your main program more power to you but I would question how hard you are working on your main days if you can do that on your rest days

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I did a max effort day today. I didn't go to the gym or work out at all because my program said to rest today which means it was the max effort I should be making.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

B-Rock452 posted:

Plenty of people do conditioning on rest days and plenty of people even do complexes on rest days for whatever reason. The issue is more repeating the process until your dead and most people shouldn't be doing something like that as part of a smart program. If you can do it and keep making progress on your main program more power to you but I would question how hard you are working on your main days if you can do that on your rest days

Yeah I don't go until I'm dead, its not a maximal effort sort of deal I was just joking about repeat until dead. TGU shouldn't fatigue your musculars it's definitely not intended for that purpose anyway.

Generally my rotation is something like
* Monday - Barbell OHP + accessories
* Tuesday - Barbell Squats + accessories
* Wedneday - "Rest" day - kettlebell simple and sinister + swimming + getup practice
* Thursday - Bench variations + accessories
* Friday - Deadlifts + accessories
* Saturday - "Rest" day - same as above, add in a few miles pushing twins around the hills around the house
* Sunday - Barbell OHP day + accessories

Sometimes I'll take a single day off if my body isn't feeling up to it or the twins destroy my sleep, but I am making gains on all of my lifts using this routine and I've been doing it for a long time at this point.