Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Thirteen Orphans posted:

If the average person eats four eggs for breakfast how long should they wait before exercising?

Just exercise fasted unless you’re planning to do more than ~90 minutes of cardio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I put some anodised aluminium cups through the dishwasher. They came out dull and kinda rough feeling. Are they ruined? They're just cheap things from Kmart, so I'm quite inclined to throw them out.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Memento posted:

I put some anodised aluminium cups through the dishwasher. They came out dull and kinda rough feeling. Are they ruined? They're just cheap things from Kmart, so I'm quite inclined to throw them out.

Do they still hold water?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Just exercise fasted unless you’re planning to do more than ~90 minutes of cardio.

This answers the question I should have asked, thanks!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I realize this question comes dangerously close to :filez: but I'm asking a why, not a how/where.

Many pirated movies and shows these days include text files for subtitles in many languages. This is a good thing, and it's in keeping with piratical tradition (most pirate ships were pegleg-accessible, after all).

But one thing strikes me as odd. Consider a movie that's mostly in English -- typical American pop-culture fare, let's say -- but it has a few brief sections in another language. Why do the pirated versions almost never include a subtitle file that includes captions for only the non-English parts, to replicate the experience you would have gotten with a theater/tape/DVD in an English-speaking country? You'd think such a thing would be very much in demand, but it never seems to exist.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Powered Descent posted:

I realize this question comes dangerously close to :filez: but I'm asking a why, not a how/where.

Many pirated movies and shows these days include text files for subtitles in many languages. This is a good thing, and it's in keeping with piratical tradition (most pirate ships were pegleg-accessible, after all).

But one thing strikes me as odd. Consider a movie that's mostly in English -- typical American pop-culture fare, let's say -- but it has a few brief sections in another language. Why do the pirated versions almost never include a subtitle file that includes captions for only the non-English parts, to replicate the experience you would have gotten with a theater/tape/DVD in an English-speaking country? You'd think such a thing would be very much in demand, but it never seems to exist.

Typically movies that contain those sections either have hard-coded subs included in the movie, or they don't. So it's up to the movie itself to provide the subs. To replicate the theatre experience just turn off subs entirely.

e: I think I saw this last with the Tom Clancy Jack Ryan show on amazon prime, it had double subtitles on-screen as some characters spoke a non-english language and the TV show provided subs as did the Prime streaming service.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
If the pirate has to lovingly sub the show by hand there's a chance the work they put out will be magnificently awful.

just ask English speaking anime fans who were watching in the 00s.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Typically movies that contain those sections either have hard-coded subs included in the movie, or they don't. So it's up to the movie itself to provide the subs. To replicate the theatre experience just turn off subs entirely.

Azza Bamboo posted:

If the pirate has to lovingly sub the show by hand there's a chance the work they put out will be magnificently awful.

just ask English speaking anime fans who were watching in the 00s.

I fully appreciate the effect of laziness but I doubt the pirates hand-typed the subs in the two or three dozen languages that normally come with the video. (And the full English subtitles work fine, you just have to turn them on and off.) All I'm wondering is why I've never seen a file for "subs only when the dialogue is in a foreign language" that you'd normally get by default when watching the media from a legit source.

My question may or may not have been occasioned by the Klingon-language scenes in Star Trek VI which, when we saw there were no hard-coded subtitles in the video itself, meant we had to pause everything and go digging around through the subtitle files, and then had to guess when to turn them on. (I make no apologies for torrenting a movie that also I own at least two legal copies of, and this is far from the first time this very situation has happened.)

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
Is it still cheaper to build a gaming PC rather than buy one that's already been built?

Someone told me that crypto dipshits ruined the whole market for video cards and that prebuilt PCs are cheaper than they used to be so it's not worth building your own anymore.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

Is it still cheaper to build a gaming PC rather than buy one that's already been built?

Someone told me that crypto dipshits ruined the whole market for video cards and that prebuilt PCs are cheaper than they used to be so it's not worth building your own anymore.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3903626

This thread can probably give you a more update to date answer than I can.

It's probably still cheaper to do it yourself. Crypto dipshits ruining the price for GPUs affects prebuilts, as well.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Prebuilts almost always skimp on some part or another so the PC ends up under powered. Usually it's the graphics card, hard drive, something like that.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Haven't the crypto dipshits been taken care of yet by weirdly specialized chips and stuff? Or are they still loving up the GPU market?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Trapick posted:

Haven't the crypto dipshits been taken care of yet by weirdly specialized chips and stuff? Or are they still loving up the GPU market?
GPU mining doesn't make financial sense for Bitcoin, but it can still be profitable for cryptocurrencies that don't yet have ASICs.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Is there some way to have Firefox on a Mac read emails to me from Gmail? I know the Mail app that comes pre-installed on all Macs will do this, but I'm not a huge fan of it and would rather use the Gmail interface.

e: Never mind, I found a way to do this!

kedo fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 27, 2020

tikka_zamayid
Dec 2, 2018

There goes the neighborhood....
I have often wondered Cheetos puffy or crunchy which is better and why asking for a friend...

Instrumedley
Aug 13, 2009
Would you hyphenate the first adjective when listing multiple compound adjectives? For example:

"...awarded to 2nd and 3rd-year students." vs. "...awarded to 2nd and 3rd year students".

Or would you hyphenate both ("2nd- and 3rd- year...")?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Instrumedley posted:

Would you hyphenate the first adjective when listing multiple compound adjectives? For example:

"...awarded to 2nd and 3rd-year students." vs. "...awarded to 2nd and 3rd year students".

Or would you hyphenate both ("2nd- and 3rd- year...")?

I've always seen it the third way.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
My way is the third way. I’m also weird

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
"2nd- and 3rd-year"

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
_- and _-_

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

PRADA SLUT posted:

It's also the fact that it's stupidly inconvenient to do so. There's this prevailing opinion that peoples are being cute and clever by trying to move their email account over or whatever, but Google didn't build the empire it has if it could be defeated by This One Weird Trick.

You can make an email account on some weird site, but if you talk to someone using Gmail, Google knows your email address and can profile you with it. If you then log in with that email to any site which Google has a presence on, including sites that use Google for analytics, they can check that and link your history back with that address, even if you aren't accessing a Google service. If a site with a Google service fingerprints your browser, and then that fingerprint shows up on another site, your data gets linked between the two, and your profile grows. If you log in with the same IP address anywhere, or if it matches a known browser, Google stores this data and links your activity back from those addresses.

You also better hope that nobody using an Android phone or Google photos took a picture of you, because that's a way to validate data. Google looks at the locations and people in pictures to figure out your social graphs, as well as logging when people produce similar data at the same time, similar to how Facebook checks when people are in the same location at the same time (this is how someone ended up with ads for gay cruises after she spent the night at her friends place--Facebook noticed both of them staying in the same residential location overnight and assumed they were boning).

If you go to a stores website and you click to look at the hours of your local store, Google's analytics now knows your location, and with browser fingerprinting, now validates this against their existing assumptions.

On top of this, you have other avenues for data scraping. You better hope that nowhere in the transaction chain for any of your bank cards, does any of your buying habits get linked back to the transactions from various merchants. If you're a member of any sort of "club" like at a grocery store, or you have to scan your special card to get a discount, that data links your purchasing habits along with your credit card numbers, which can be used to validate against other merchants to log your spending. If one of those in the chain is related to Google, then they know your buying as well.

Even people who think they're being cute with a VPN or similar end up getting nailed by browser fingerprinting and IP tracking. Peoples patterns like visiting a few of the same sites in the morning can be used to validate you.

So, you're asking to never use any site that's connected through any Google service, including sites running their analytics or whatever, never to appear in anyone else's photos, never lookup information about anything locally (like events or businesses). No maps or directions, no cell phone use whatsoever, even if you're not using the GPS, no emailing or receiving emails from anyone connected through a Google-related service, never using a browser with any identifiable extensions, never repeating any browsing habits, never making an account on a website with the same email address twice, never using credit cards or stores that use clubs/discount cards, and doing this completely in-errantly for your entire life.

Whoa, this is really interesting and informative, much appreciated.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

I fully appreciate the effect of laziness but I doubt the pirates hand-typed the subs in the two or three dozen languages that normally come with the video. (And the full English subtitles work fine, you just have to turn them on and off.) All I'm wondering is why I've never seen a file for "subs only when the dialogue is in a foreign language" that you'd normally get by default when watching the media from a legit source.

My question may or may not have been occasioned by the Klingon-language scenes in Star Trek VI which, when we saw there were no hard-coded subtitles in the video itself, meant we had to pause everything and go digging around through the subtitle files, and then had to guess when to turn them on. (I make no apologies for torrenting a movie that also I own at least two legal copies of, and this is far from the first time this very situation has happened.)

The pirates are using either DVD/BR subtitles auto-extracted, or just used something like https://www.opensubtitles.org/ and picked the first option that didn't suck. Some do it only for foreign languages but usually it's too much of a pain in the arse to be picky - these seeders are looking for a quick way to share at a set minimum quality, not to provide the best possible experience.

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

Tesseraction posted:

The pirates are using either DVD/BR subtitles auto-extracted, or just used something like https://www.opensubtitles.org/ and picked the first option that didn't suck. Some do it only for foreign languages but usually it's too much of a pain in the arse to be picky - these seeders are looking for a quick way to share at a set minimum quality, not to provide the best possible experience.

hm. what in your opinion motivates these seeders?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

Pretty much always cheaper to build it. Pre-built computers have huge markups and almost always have lovely components gotten as cheaply as possible put in them. This is fine for, say, getting grandma a computer so she can type letters, send e-mail, and read Wikipedia. It's also fine for an office worker that needs to pretend to fill out spreadsheets nobody will ever look at while listening to podcasts. In that case the office is probably buying in bulk so that's an extra discount. Pre-built gaming PCs often come with extraneous fancy-looking bullshit stapled on to make it look cool rather than actually being good.

But yeah, cypto idiots have ended up causing video cards to be more expensive than they should be. Even so, depending on your budget, you can shop around to find stuff like quality but not particularly popular components, special package deals, or stuff that's half a generation behind but still good. There are also things like random sales and whatnot. Plus you can just customize it to whatever you're doing. Building a computer to play current generation shooters has requirements that "I just want to play puzzle games a lot" doesn't. I haven't bought a pre-canned computer in a long time and don't really care to; building them isn't all that difficult and saves you a ton of money pretty much no matter what.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Pretty much always cheaper to build it. Pre-built computers have huge markups and almost always have lovely components gotten as cheaply as possible put in them. This is fine for, say, getting grandma a computer so she can type letters, send e-mail, and read Wikipedia. It's also fine for an office worker that needs to pretend to fill out spreadsheets nobody will ever look at while listening to podcasts. In that case the office is probably buying in bulk so that's an extra discount. Pre-built gaming PCs often come with extraneous fancy-looking bullshit stapled on to make it look cool rather than actually being good.

But yeah, cypto idiots have ended up causing video cards to be more expensive than they should be. Even so, depending on your budget, you can shop around to find stuff like quality but not particularly popular components, special package deals, or stuff that's half a generation behind but still good. There are also things like random sales and whatnot. Plus you can just customize it to whatever you're doing. Building a computer to play current generation shooters has requirements that "I just want to play puzzle games a lot" doesn't. I haven't bought a pre-canned computer in a long time and don't really care to; building them isn't all that difficult and saves you a ton of money pretty much no matter what.

Computers last basically forever now. Its not 2005 anymore. I built my own computer in 2012 with a excessively high budget of 2000, including monitors, case, keyboard, etc and its still fully capable of doing anything I want and will be good for probably another 8 years.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

owlhawk911 posted:

hm. what in your opinion motivates these seeders?

This is the stupid/small questions thread not the philosophy of different forms of copyright infringement thread. There is a serious answer that mostly focuses on the fact that the first uploaded tends to be the torrent that does the best, and that usually rewards the quick'n'dirty method.

This isn't me knocking that method per se. Other than to be a Good Citizen and say copyright infringement is bad and you should not do it. Can you take the gun away from my head now, please, officer? Oh sorry the mic is still on SEND POST

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I just found a whole lot of ants congregating all over a box of tissues in my house. I followed the train of ants back to the crack in the windowsill they were coming in through and sealed it up, which usually keeps them out for a decent while, but I'm curious about what attracted them to the tissues - because they were very clearly going after them like as though they were food. Is it the aloe vera in them maybe?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Where do I go to post about the coronavirus?

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Where do I go to post about the coronavirus?

The Goon Doctor has this one brand new thread, that's all I was able to find.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Is there still a thread for finding the name of a game? I have a weird request but I can’t seem to find the thread anymore.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Tiggum posted:

I just found a whole lot of ants congregating all over a box of tissues in my house. I followed the train of ants back to the crack in the windowsill they were coming in through and sealed it up, which usually keeps them out for a decent while, but I'm curious about what attracted them to the tissues - because they were very clearly going after them like as though they were food. Is it the aloe vera in them maybe?

Are they scented?

When I've cleaned bathrooms at the local park I've noticed all sorts of bugs are real attracted to the sinks on the ladies' side, presumably because of all the girly-scented bath products (and I know it's not recommended to use pretty-smelling products when you're out hiking during bug season.)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Fruits of the sea posted:

Is there still a thread for finding the name of a game? I have a weird request but I can’t seem to find the thread anymore.

UK goon discord leapt to your rescue (h/t Minty) https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=2925708

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
Edit: already answered

Robokomodo fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 30, 2020

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
This one goes to HR and other Hiring Goons - Does a cover letter make a difference? Has there ever been a time where you thought "Well, his resume's good, but no cover letter. Too bad"?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'ma need info on this UK Goon Discord please.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

I'm not in HR, but I work in the engineering department at a big tech company. Resumes and cover letters get fed into automated text parses to look for keywords, and are assigned a rating based on the frequency of the keywords, the presence of certain phrases, the proportion of keywords to other text, the use of pleasantries, and anything else that one particular HR department cares about. The highest rated ones are reviewed by a human. Depending on how their system works, including a cover letter can either boost your score, lower your score due to the presence of unimportant words, have no effect, or ensure that you don't get automatically failed for giving the company a low effort application.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Qubee posted:

I'ma need info on this UK Goon Discord please.

It's the UKMT discord really. While we lean left politically it's not an exclusionary zone but if you won't want political poo poo constantly in main chat it won't be your scene. If you want to join then by all means ask in the D&D UKMT thread (I'd offer an invite but I don't have access).

False Toaster
Dec 29, 2006

Stupidity, its both physically and mentally painful.
Stupid poo poo but I returned a $200 item to Amazon over a month ago because what I got was damaged and wasn't the right item. I get my refund. 3 days ago I get a charge for the same item and today I went through 40 minutes of CS hell for them regurgitate exactly what the problem was as a reason to charge me again. They've told me that the item was disposed and want me to return the correct item, which I clearly don't fucken have. I spoke to a supervisor and he submitted a request to have it investigated. So I'll have to wait 3 business days though I think I'll be SOL. What should I do here short of a chargeback?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I tend to not reply to most posts like this because I don't want to spam the thread, but I want to reiterate to people who post thanks-posts that I'm always happy to have helped people. You're all always welcome!

*never posts helpfully in this thread again*