Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I bought the cheap Master setup from Amazon, the nozzle broke (twice) during cleaning. So I bought an Iwata HP-CS and I couldn't be happier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Quick tip to save some money.

People looking to save some cash on a generic version of plastic cement, ie Tenax/Ambroid/Plastiweld/Bondene/Tamiya Extra Thin, have recommended MEK (Methyl-Ethyl Ketone). I went a different route today, and bought a liter of Methyl Chloride, also know as Chloromethane. MEK has typically been a "just as good" replacement, but Methyl Chloride is the actual main chemical used in most plastic cements. Tried it out, and works the exact same as the typical Plast-I-Weld I use. And a liter will last me near forever. It's super cheap as well, I got the liter here in Canada for $20, it would be even cheaper in the states.

It can occasionally be hard to find locally, as it's normally only sold in specialty shops. Check the web for local sources, it's quite popular in sign-making shops and suppliers, or tv/film F/X material shops. SciGrip #3 also contains about 80% Methyl Chloride, with a few other chems in there. Should perform just the same, and be a bit easier to find. I got my tin at Coast Fiber-Tek, but they recently updated their website and don't do websales yet, so it's only for local Vancouverites.

I worked for a couple years in the model shop of a company that designed and build store displays for the cosmetics industry. We used gallons of Methylene Chloride as cement for all the acrylic and styrene we worked with. Actually it's a skillset I miss working with, we'd use glass syringes, little shims and dozens of little jig blocks to create perfect bubble-free bonds with clear acrylic. Anyway, the 'meth' was something that was easy to get complacent with because it was so abundant. It's toxic, and the bulk type we bought doesn't have that nasty volatile smell you might be used to with hobby cements. Keep your area well ventilated, wear a respirator if you are using a ton of it for big builds, avoid getting it on your skin. When the MSDS says something 'may cause cancer' you can just skip a step and translate that as 'will be proven to cause cancer after you've been using it for years'.
That said, it is an incredible tool with plastics. If you have a supplier that carries methylene chloride, they probably carry its ancillary products, one of which is the very useful monomer additive. Monomer is basically unset plastic suspended in a solution that is soluble with cements. We would use it for special bonds of very thick clear acrylic to fill tiny gaps and avoid bubbles, but it also makes bonds stronger. For the opaque plastic most of us work with in the model hobby, you can get similar reinforcing results by grinding up scrap styrene as fine as possible and dissolving small amounts into methylene chloride. Factory made monomer solutions are better, but probably not noticeably for our purposes.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Speaking of Methylene Chloride I just bought a can of aircraft remover (the good stuff) off ebay because I need to strip some brass models and it was banned from sale in the US a couple months ago. I'll only be using it outdoors with a respirator but that's some scary poo poo. Supposedly there's nothing better for removing paint from brass models though short of bead blasting.

Also this past weekend I went to the big model railroad show in Springfield MA and picked up a model I've wanted since I was 15 but never thought I'd be able to afford. It's a 1979 brass HO scale model of the Virginian Railway's AE class 2-10-10-2 steam locomotive. I'm going to modify it to run better (old brass trains don't run well), install lights, DCC and sound, paint and weather it. I'll post progress photos as I go along. This is just a sample photo I found online as I haven't had a chance to take any good photos of mine yet.

It is by far the most expensive toy I've ever bought but I'm super excited about it.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 28, 2020

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Looking forward to your posts about it!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I fixed everything with a little bit of creative camera angles.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Last pic looks like he's removing a wedgie.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Cross post from the historicals thread

Fish and Chimps posted:

I'm painting a 15mm PSC Cromwell tank as a Birthday present for my gaming friend.

He loves British tanks and fought alongside British Guards in Iraq, so I'm painting it up as a part of the Armoured Recce Regiment of the Guards Armoured Division.

It's all done except for a tiny bit more weathering, and some pigments for rust and mud.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
The tonal values are nicely blocked in makes that teeny tank look huge.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Anyone have a recommendation for a 1/35 T-34/85? There are so many out there that I'm having decision fatigue. I'm used to having exactly one option for whatever it is I'm planning to build.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Scut posted:

The tonal values are nicely blocked in makes that teeny tank look huge.

Thanks. That's what you want when painting 1:100 I guess. Here it is with pigments and varnish:

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Slugworth posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a 1/35 T-34/85? There are so many out there that I'm having decision fatigue. I'm used to having exactly one option for whatever it is I'm planning to build.

The AFV Club kits are really great. I loved my full interior build a couple months ago.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Gewehr 43 posted:

The AFV Club kits are really great. I loved my full interior build a couple months ago.
Awesome, that was one of my top three, so I'm gonna pull the trigger on it. Thanks.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I couldn't fix the mess with the water, so might as well call it done.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Genuinely not sure what mess you're talking about.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yeah, it "technically" may be a bit frosty and a lot of bubbles, but in practice it just makes it look like moving water. I genuinely like it. Nice work, man!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

drat that's rad, love the fire damage!

I started working on my Falke kit, and the cockpit was looking a bit sparse so started chucking in some bits and bobs. Are there any sites in the UK that people can recommend for photoetch and detailing kits? I don't know if there's a bits market for stuff like in 40K, or if I just need to go cannibalizing kits for extra doodads.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

I love seeing how people flesh out Ma.K cockpits. Keep posting your progress!

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

ijyt posted:

drat that's rad, love the fire damage!

I started working on my Falke kit, and the cockpit was looking a bit sparse so started chucking in some bits and bobs. Are there any sites in the UK that people can recommend for photoetch and detailing kits? I don't know if there's a bits market for stuff like in 40K, or if I just need to go cannibalizing kits for extra doodads.

That's a nice looking cockpit and you have plenty of room. I'd go to the spares box and take some greebles for extra piping, control panels etc.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Random electronics and guitar wire is the direction I'd go in.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

I've been working on this during the weekend. Still have to do the water and some more variation in the plants but it's starting to look like something...

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yeah, it "technically" may be a bit frosty and a lot of bubbles, but in practice it just makes it look like moving water. I genuinely like it. Nice work, man!

Yeah pretty much. Wouldn't even have thought that there was something wrong with the water unless it was pointed out. Really nice job!

Also what kind of polish madman makes a pe fret like this?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Part 63 is uniquely disturbing.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
the real horror is part 50

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Symetrique posted:

Yeah pretty much. Wouldn't even have thought that there was something wrong with the water unless it was pointed out. Really nice job!

Also what kind of polish madman makes a pe fret like this?

The same polish madmen that made this one:

https://www.super-hobby.com/products/C7P-interior-Mirage.html

I nearly ordered it, but chickened out. Especially since the kit reviews say the standard interior is already well done.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
What am I missing? It looks like a complex, but otherwise average, PE fret.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Lots of very thin parts? I don't really see the appeal of PE a lot of the time, but I started building kits for wargaming so bits that will just break off are not a thing I like.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

What am I missing? It looks like a complex, but otherwise average, PE fret.

Truth.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i guarantee part 50 is only the little circle thing and you need every single one of them and will lose half of them

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I'm running into a weird issue, I'm not sure if it's the Stynlrez primer or the MIG acrylic paint. I've washed the plastic in soapy water, rinsed thoroughly, dried totally, sprayed with white Stynlrez primer in two light coats. Next I did a light coat of MIG Acrylic Blue followed by a second coat and I'm seeing this. It sprays fine initially but seems to to pull away from spots. Anyone have any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Yooper posted:

I'm running into a weird issue, I'm not sure if it's the Stynlrez primer or the MIG acrylic paint. I've washed the plastic in soapy water, rinsed thoroughly, dried totally, sprayed with white Stynlrez primer in two light coats. Next I did a light coat of MIG Acrylic Blue followed by a second coat and I'm seeing this. It sprays fine initially but seems to to pull away from spots. Anyone have any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

What thinner and what ratio are you using? it looks like the paint is going down too wet and the surface tension hasn't been broken enough.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Triggerhappypilot posted:

What thinner and what ratio are you using? it looks like the paint is going down too wet and the surface tension hasn't been broken enough.

The MIG Acrylic paint is really thin out of the bottle so I don't add any thinner.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Did you thin the stynlrez (will never accept that dumb name even though I love the product)? I've found it doesn't take well to thinning. Otherwise from the photo it looks a bit like 'orange peel' to me, which is generally a sign that the paint is partially drying before it reaches the surface. If that is the case, perhaps a small amount of retarder or flow improver may rectify the issue? Or maybe your airbrush is too far away?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Scut posted:

Did you thin the stynlrez (will never accept that dumb name even though I love the product)? I've found it doesn't take well to thinning. Otherwise from the photo it looks a bit like 'orange peel' to me, which is generally a sign that the paint is partially drying before it reaches the surface. If that is the case, perhaps a small amount of retarder or flow improver may rectify the issue? Or maybe your airbrush is too far away?

Stynlrez went on straight. I did a test with a touch of flow improver and it seemed to get worse. I'm running it through a turbo mixer at work and will try it again later.

That name is stupid, I feel dumber typing it. Like someone getting a mis-spelled tattoo on there rear end.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Yooper posted:

Stynlrez...

That name is stupid, I feel dumber typing it. Like someone getting a mis-spelled tattoo on there rear end.

I'm I being dumb and not getting what that name is supposed to mean? I'm just reading it as Stynl (rhymes with vinyl) Res (resin) and it just seems like a nonsense word.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

SkunkDuster posted:

I'm I being dumb and not getting what that name is supposed to mean? I'm just reading it as Stynl (rhymes with vinyl) Res (resin) and it just seems like a nonsense word.

I get the same meaning, but it feels like it's almost an actual word.

I did another test run and got similar results. The Vallejo Air color I sprayed next on the same primer had no issue. I'm wondering if the two don't like each other?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I remember it being explained as something like a list of what it works.

Styrene.
Resin.
Vinyl.

But its suuuch a dumb name. Still a really good product.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

It should've been xX_StyNylR3Z_Xx

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Let's not forget also that Badger has a needle lubricant named Regdab

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Symetrique posted:

xX_StyNylR3Z_Xx

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Welp, I think it's the paint itself. I tried a 2nd coat on top of a previous coat and it did the same thing. I added a touch of my airbrush medium-flow improver and it still separated. At this point I'm going to just strip it and start fresh.

Edit : Tried a 2nd color of MIG Acrylics on another piece with the same Stylnrez primer and had no separation. Bummer.

Yooper fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 6, 2020