Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Luckyellow posted:

Get some lentils too, and don't forget to stock up on toilet papers, soap, and other hygiene products too. Got to keep yourself clean even during the end times

why change now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

A Grand Egg posted:

The current US flu season has killed 54 infants so far, according to CDC. And in the first two weeks of 2020, the flu has killed more than 5,000 people in the US, mostly through associated pneumonia

The flu has infected 13 million this season, sent 120,000 to the hospital and killed 6,600.

If the Coronavirus infects 13 million, more than 500,000 will die.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

There's a mostly effective flu vaccine as well.#

[e] You personally, the goon in the street types are largely going to be okay so stop panicking. Like everything else the people that will be severely affected are the worlds poorest and most vulnerable.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

MarcusSA posted:

I can’t tell if this is a serious post or not.

I haven’t got a link but I read about that earlier it’s true unfortunately

Edit: here you go...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...f0811db2faee083

quote:

Thousands of people are being kept on board an Italian cruise ship as tests are carried out on two Chinese passengers suspected of having caught coronavirus, a spokesman for the Costa Crociere cruise company has said.

Reuters reports:

The couple arrived in Italy on 25 January and boarded the ship, the Costa Smeralda, in the port of Savona that same day. They subsequently came down with a fever and are suffering breathing difficulties.

The liner has visited Marseilles in France, and the Spanish ports of Barcelona and Palma de Mallorca this week before docking on Thursday at Civitavecchia, north of Rome.

None of the 6,000 passengers and crew are being allowed off the ship while medical checks were carried out to see if the pair had the potentially deadly coronavirus, the company spokesman said.

He said it might take “a few hours” before the situation became clearer.

Chrs fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jan 30, 2020

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

bones 4 beginners posted:

Post the grain wall.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Jamsta posted:

Looks like all the 13 year olds on SA will be safe...
if this is the safest place for 13 year olds then they really are in trouble

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Chrs posted:

I haven’t got a link but I read about that earlier it’s true unfortunately

Edit: here you go...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...f0811db2faee083

Sorry I should have clarified.

I can’t tell if they think it’s a good idea to let 6,000 people off the ship to stay in a hotel lol.

Keep them on the ship till they can be screened.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Jamsta posted:

https://twitter.com/barnaby_flower/status/1222823182291226627

Looks like all the 13 year olds on SA will be safe...

Urgh, those post apocalyptic movies where all the adults are dead are the weakest ones. Who’s really out there stanning for ‘Night of the Comet’?

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

We’re entering the Supernova Era!

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

MarcusSA posted:

Sorry I should have clarified.

I can’t tell if they think it’s a good idea to let 6,000 people off the ship to stay in a hotel lol.

Keep them on the ship till they can be screened.

Do cruise ship rooms even have good ventilation or they breath the same air?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

Do cruise ship rooms even have good ventilation or they breath the same air?

Even if you’ve got a room with a window it’s all recirculating air.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Cruise ships are where a lot of babby epidemiologists first start getting some field experience because they are perfect floating petri dishes of contagion with frequent outbreaks of all kinds of fun stuff.

Cruises are awful for the environment but also awful for public health.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

The photos of collapsed people is pretty dumb. If you spend any time in a city/town you'll see plenty of collapsed people being attended to by ambulance/members of the public. Just last week some guy passed out next to me outside a shop, you don't take a loving photo and claim it's a deadly virus. social media is gross.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

hemale in pain posted:

The photos of collapsed people is pretty dumb. If you spend any time in a city/town you'll see plenty of collapsed people being attended to by ambulance/members of the public. Just last week some guy passed out next to me outside a shop, you don't take a loving photo and claim it's a deadly virus. social media is gross.

Except this time it probably is.

Everyone in the photos were wearing masks.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

hemale in pain posted:

I spend all my time in a city/town and I rarely see collapsed people. Where the gently caress do you live

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

Except this time it probably is.

Everyone in the photos were wearing masks.

did you think this through..

EVERYONE IS WEARING MASKS

Starks posted:

I spend all my time in a city/town and I rarely see collapsed people. Where the gently caress do you live

Bicycle courier so i probably cover more distance. you'll see a older person in distress at least a few times a month and i've had to call an ambulance about 5 times in 6 months.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Enfys posted:

Cruise ships are where a lot of babby epidemiologists first start getting some field experience because they are perfect floating petri dishes of contagion with frequent outbreaks of all kinds of fun stuff.

They also have disproportion amount of old people which is coronavirus's prime target. It's win-win now that I think about it.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

There's a lot of fake info/pics/rumours being spread much like with anything that has mass public attention, so it's worth taking unverified social media posts with a huge bucket of salt.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Disco Pope posted:

Urgh, those post apocalyptic movies where all the adults are dead are the weakest ones. Who’s really out there stanning for ‘Night of the Comet’?

What's wrong with you? Night of the Comet rules!

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

hemale in pain posted:

did you think this through..

EVERYONE IS WEARING MASKS

Bicycle courier so i probably cover more distance. you'll see a older person in distress at least a few times a month and i've had to call an ambulance about 5 times in 6 months.

That makes more sense. Being a bicycle courier in raccoon city is a tough job so stay safe out there.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Enfys posted:

My sister served on a navy boat for a few months. They all got a stomach bug from the cook, then quickly ran out of meds and TP

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

unpacked robinhood posted:

My sister served on a navy boat for a few months. They all got a stomach bug from the cook, then quickly ran out of meds and TP

lmaoooo

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Lung alveoli are a superstitious cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their leukocytes.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
collapsing is probably a good way to get medical attention more quickly than continuing to stand in line for days

if i was over there and thought i might have the bug i'd probably walk into a hospital and fall over

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Just lol If you don't fall over like every day.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

unpacked robinhood posted:

Always wanted to hang my rear end off the side of a boat and poo poo in the ocean. I saw it once in this pirate picture book I had when I was a toddler. I feel like that would be an opportune time to just go for it

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Well I think the black plague drastically raised the value of labor so he's probably not wrong.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

hemale in pain posted:

Didn't know residents of Dis could access the forums.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Chrs posted:

Always wanted to hang my rear end off the side of a boat and poo poo in the ocean. I saw it once in this pirate picture book I had when I was a toddler. I feel like that would be an opportune time to just go for it

they don't call it the poop deck for nothing, friend.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

The Chinese $5 lunch special place I go to used to be packed but it’s barren now. It’s pretty sweet! So I get where Mr. Ross is coming from.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

I’ve lived in a big city for over a dozen years and don’t really ever see people laying in the street except homeless people. Definitely not a lot of people being approached by people in Tyvek suits.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i think that guy just copped to serial assaults or something

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

He's probably one of those cyclists everybody hates , he's mowing people down and causing chaos in his wake.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

stuxracer posted:

I’ve lived in a big city for over a dozen years and don’t really ever see people laying in the street except homeless people. Definitely not a lot of people being approached by people in Tyvek suits.

People collapsing is something that happens with regularity. Also, everything posted on social media is a lie.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I don't see people collapse but I def. see people in need of medical assistance laying on the ground everyday. The big city is a heartless place.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

What happened with that hospital they said they were gonna build last week?
Everyone was like “look how amazing China is!!!” With a photo of some diggers but then nothing.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is it safe or order Chinese food in the US? What about eating out?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Bape Culture posted:

What happened with that hospital they said they were gonna build last week?
Everyone was like “look how amazing China is!!!” With a photo of some diggers but then nothing.

They posted a photo of a the completed hospital, which was debunked minutes later as being 6 months old. lol?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Shaocaholica posted:

Is it safe or order Chinese food in the US? What about eating out?

Do not leave your home, citizen