Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

HD DAD posted:

I think I remember reading somewhere that, while season one of Disco was always going to go to the Mirror Universe, the decision for Lorca to also be from there came after scripts had been written and Isaacs had been hired.

Maybe, but people were pushing Lorca as being from the mirror universe by the 4th episode in based on his demeanour and set trappings, so I don’t think it was handled that poorly. Anyway, scripts get rewrites all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the biggest problem with disco is that the main crew loving sucks and no one wants to see any further adventures they might go on. the supposed improvements in s2 were all preexisting characters who didn't stick around.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Nah, I like the main crew fine. I like Tilly and think she’s funny which I know isn’t allowed, I like having a queer relationship on a sci-fi show and it is neither oversexualized nor full of crude humour, I think Saru is great even if puberty made the writers go too far in the other direction, etc. I dunno, I like the show and I’d rather it keep going for a while to see what they do. And I mean the shorts have by and large been great imo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mediaphage posted:

And I mean the shorts have by and large been great imo.

...Jiggers on a beach somewhere! :v:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I liked the Disco crew once Stamets stopped trying to be a sassy Sheldon. He's absolutely unbearable before he inject himself with tardigrade goop.

Tilly is alright but Alara on the orville is basically her character but done right

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Star Trek TAS, no less! It's pretty fun!

Had to see for myself.

:laffo:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

yelling about the sanctity of life while punching things is peak tos

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the biggest problem with disco is that the main crew loving sucks and no one wants to see any further adventures they might go on. the supposed improvements in s2 were all preexisting characters who didn't stick around.

No the biggest problem is the awful writing and tone. The crew/actors themselves are mostly fine, they just don't have anything to work with.

Edit: I mean, the crew do suck because that's how they were written. But I am not sure they could switch to a new crew and resolve things that way because I have no confidence in the direction that would go.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 30, 2020

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

he just kept talking and talking in one incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one could interrupt him it was quite hypnotic

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Danaru posted:

I liked the Disco crew once Stamets stopped trying to be a sassy Sheldon. He's absolutely unbearable before he inject himself with tardigrade goop.

Tilly is alright but Alara on the orville is basically her character but done right

I haaaaated Stamets at the start of the show, but they did an excellent job rewriting him into a much more mellow and likeable character.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
This week on "vintage internet reactions", I bring you Usenet posts from the original airing of Threshold. Starting with the initial press release from UPN...

UPN posted:

"Threshold" - Lieutenant Paris makes history by becoming the first person to make a transwarp flight. But, soon after his shuttle returns from Warp Ten, he undergoes startling biochemistry changes. His cell membranes begin to degrade and, despite The Doctor's best efforts, Paris dies. Hours after the pronouncement of death, Paris is discovered breathing, his body going through accelerated mutations which leave him radically transformed into a bizarre and terrifying cross between a human and amphibian, on "Star Trek: Voyager" airing MONDAY, JAN. 29 (8:00-9:00 p.m., ET/PT) on UPN.

quote:

My God, this sounds like it could be the worst episode of Star Trek in *any* of its four incarnations. It may just make "Spock's Brain" look intelligent.

quote:

Well, just from reading it would would say it's not likely to be *worse*
than Genesis. As bad as, yes, but not *worse*-- not from the plot synopsis. And then I remembered this is Voyager we're dealing with. Batten down the hatches, folks, I sense an onflux of serious stupidity..

quote:

I was ABOUT to say, "There's that 'worst episode of all time' hyperbole again.  How tiresome."  Then I read "terrifying cross between a human and an amphibian."  I mean, Id read it already, but this time I really UNDERSTOOD that they meant "amphibian."  This sounds like it could be the worst episode of Star Trek ever...;)

And finally, right after its premier...

quote:

Oh dear. 

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The Posts of the Elders are filled with much wisdom.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
I wonder if somewhere out there exists a person who likes Threshold.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Legitimately? I don't know. I'm sure there are people who like it in a 'so bad it's good' kind of way.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

it had good makeup

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

the 1500 page Star Trek megathread

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

The thing with Threshold is that it takes itself very seriously, them suddenly bam, janeway and paris are amphibians who have hosed out of nowhere. It's one big laugh in an ocean of poo poo.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

yelling about the sanctity of life while punching things is peak tos

Also giving Trypticon the double hammer is a pretty clear Kirk v. Gorn reference.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Picard Ep 2: This lady loves her herbs, guess you cant get fresh parsley on a borg cube.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

dudeness posted:

Picard Ep 2: This lady loves her herbs, guess you cant get fresh parsley on a borg cube.

Surprising you’d think they could turn those pods into individual grow ops

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Picard ep 3: They crash land on Temeria and team up with The Witcher. The Witcher then goes with them when they leave.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

evilmiera posted:

That actually brings up another question: Since genetic engineering other than possibly to cure deadly diseases is banned in the Federation, would they remove the Jem'hadar addiction since they're a genetically engineered species anyway and this is just correcting an earlier crime?

Jem'hadar aren't genetically engineered, they're magic. They don't eat, drink, or sleep, instead subsisting entirely on an ounce of white goo per day. As long as they have the goo, they can become invisible at will.

If it's not magic it must be something real weird, like they all have a nuclear reactor implanted in their torso at birth to provide all their energy needs for their entire 20 year lifespan.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Picard ep 3: They crash land on Temeria and team up with The Witcher. The Witcher then goes with them when they leave.

drop a coin to your captain

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Picard and Geralt at Temeria.

Picard and Geralt on the ocean.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Picard and Superman team up with Jon Snow to fight the Decepticons.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Humble Bundle currently has a bundle with A shitload of Star Trek comics.

:siren: This includes the TNG Mirror Universe comics "Through the Mirror", "Mirror Broken", and a ST:VOY Mirror Comic: "Mirrors and Smoke". Captain Janeway is a Pirate Queen of the Delta Quadrant. :siren:

hell yea

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

mediaphage posted:

drop a coin to your captain

Geralt: Before I fight these synthetics of yours we'll need to discuss payment. In crowns.
Picard: We will replicate however many crowns you want!
Geralt: I appreciate the gesture but we need to agree to a specific sum. I'm a professional.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

At first I thought I was looking at Neelix's severed head being thrown down the corridor. Then I realized it was his whole body at a weird angle.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Live notes watching Picard knowing nothing going in:

- lol, at least a dozen producers, maybe 20. don't know if its poo poo yet but its got flies
- the production design is "nordstrom". why the gently caress are future scifi utopian shows so scared of being future or utopian anymore, or at least art chic
- picard has a pitbull. this is a nod to him hating children and wanting them to die
- cinematography and blocking on all of these cbs prestige shows is so forced it ends up ugly. oversaturated, backlit, narrow dof, stilted handheld
- music too, every little conversation that should just be a calm character moment has to have tense_music_megapack_what_tells_the_dummies_what_to_feel_track_16921.wav
- the premise is ok, other than like the tng movies and discovery it could easily end up an excuse to make star trek very un-star-treky constantly angry and loud and shooty
- so romulans are xenomorphs now i guess
- did i miss them referencing Lal or are they just doing the nu trek thing where they do lots of fan service shoving in needless appearances of famous things while ignoring the actually pertinent and meaningful references
- the bored cube

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Watched episodes 9 and 10 of Disco. As well as the new Picard. Episode 9 was really good. Some elements didn't make a whole lot of sense, bit there was a a lot of good character moments, especially with Lorca and Tyler. And oh my god, knowing what is coming means I can already see how this show is going to poo poo itself. This could have been good! It was going in a good direction! But they loving throw both of those characters away just so they can pull some cheap twists.

Episode 10 was fun as well. Captain Killy was great. I'll admit, I'm a sucker for mirror universe plots. Tyler's plot sucks hard though. They could have had an actually touching plotline about a man recovering from sexual assault, and instead they go with this garbage? At least this was one more episode where they didn't assassinate Lorca's character. Yet.

Picard episode 2 was more slow burn. I'm glad it is taking it's time, and that so far I have no trouble seeing what is going on.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Breakfast All Day posted:

Live notes watching Picard knowing nothing going in:

- lol, at least a dozen producers, maybe 20. don't know if its poo poo yet but its got flies
- the production design is "nordstrom". why the gently caress are future scifi utopian shows so scared of being future or utopian anymore, or at least art chic
- picard has a pitbull. this is a nod to him hating children and wanting them to die
- cinematography and blocking on all of these cbs prestige shows is so forced it ends up ugly. oversaturated, backlit, narrow dof, stilted handheld
- music too, every little conversation that should just be a calm character moment has to have tense_music_megapack_what_tells_the_dummies_what_to_feel_track_16921.wav
- the premise is ok, other than like the tng movies and discovery it could easily end up an excuse to make star trek very un-star-treky constantly angry and loud and shooty
- so romulans are xenomorphs now i guess
- did i miss them referencing Lal or are they just doing the nu trek thing where they do lots of fan service shoving in needless appearances of famous things while ignoring the actually pertinent and meaningful references
- the bored cube

I dunno about calling her by name but they’re very explicit about the connection

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

At first I thought I was looking at Neelix's severed head being thrown down the corridor. Then I realized it was his whole body at a weird angle.

I thought it was a Trump photoshop

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Then she died from black tar :v:.

:holymoley:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tumblr has "Threshold Day" where you reblog Treshold memes and photos.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I'm so glad someone got that :allears:.

sweet geek swag posted:

Episode 10 was fun as well. Captain Killy was great. I'll admit, I'm a sucker for mirror universe plots. Tyler's plot sucks hard though. They could have had an actually touching plotline about a man recovering from sexual assault, and instead they go with this garbage? At least this was one more episode where they didn't assassinate Lorca's character. Yet.

Picard episode 2 was more slow burn. I'm glad it is taking it's time, and that so far I have no trouble seeing what is going on.

Episode 11's where you get to what I've been bringing up in spoilers, iirc :unsmigghh:.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Does anyone know when the next picard episode is out?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Weekly on Thursdays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Ghostlight posted:

Weekly on Thursdays.

Aww snap, time for some picard show.