Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Okay, I clearly must have misunderstood something about that line of dialogue. I apologize.

e: Does anyone recall which episode it was? I want to go back and see what the gently caress I missed.

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

dang ole romulans man, i tell you what

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Memory Alpha posted:

Georgiou later claimed that Lorca had groomed Burnham, and that Burnham was complicit in his plot. (DIS: "Despite Yourself", "Vaulting Ambition")

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

how come nobody smokes weed in star trek

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GolfHole posted:

N-n-n-narcotics? In our perfect utopian society seen through the scope of middle-age/elderly white males born in the 50 and 60's? Surely you jest! :wotwot:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

GolfHole posted:

No one cool joins star fleet op

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

why smoke weed when you can inhale beetle

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Jean-Luc, blow up the damned thread!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

lukevictorious
Mar 31, 2019

this is the water
Here's some other Hutchs, are they all related?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

GolfHole posted:

quote:

WESLEY: Data, I can understand how this could happen to the Ornarans. What I can't understand is why anyone would voluntarily become dependent on a chemical.
DATA: Voluntary addiction to drugs is a recurrent theme in many cultures.
TASHA: Wesley, no one wants to become dependent. That happens later.
WESLEY: But it does happen. So why do people start?
TASHA: On my home planet, there was so much poverty and violence, that for some the only escape was through drugs.
WESLEY: How can a chemical substance can provide an escape.
TASHA: It doesn't, but it makes you think it does. You have to understand, drugs can make you feel good. They make you feel on top of the world. You're happy, sure of yourself, in control.
WESLEY: But it's artificial.
TASHA: It doesn't feel artificial until the drug wears off. Then you pay the price. Before you know it, you're taking the drug not to feel good, but to keep from feeling bad.
WESLEY: And that's the trap?
TASHA: All you care about is getting your next dosage. Nothing else matters.
WESLEY: I guess I just don't understand.
TASHA: Wesley, I hope you never do.

That's why. Tasha wants you to say no to drugs.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

One of those fun things Orville again gets right the casual weed use. Like, if TNG was made today you know they'd be all about those nugs.

edit: obligatory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQVc79FE5Bo

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

one thing about living on rape gang planet i never could stomach.

all the drat druggies.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Epicurius posted:

That's why. Tasha wants you to say no to drugs.

Then she died from black tar :v:.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
There's people who love Star Trek Picard and there's people who hate Star Trek Picard but I think what unites everybody is being glad there's no Wesley in it.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
yet

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

There's people who love Star Trek Picard and there's people who hate Star Trek Picard but I think what unites everybody is being glad there's no Wesley in it.

What if they had big buff Wesley from that one time jump epsiode?

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Johnny Aztec posted:

What if they had big buff Wesley from that one time jump epsiode?

It was a Q episode, not a time jump one. Hand in your comm badge.

Has anyone ever made an edit of this with the real adult Wil?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

PenisMonkey posted:

If the founders are so much better at humanoid faces why do they all walk around with Odoface?

They originally did it to make Odo comfortable and show that they're like him, and afterwards realised that Odo was the Alpha Quadrant's first encounter with a Changeling and what they were used to, so they keep that form when they want to present as 'Changeling'.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I always interpreted it as being also a little bit of a middle finger to Odo for rejecting them - like, we can look like anything but here's how dumb you look when you try.

It was really just so the audience didn't get confused

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Humble Bundle currently has a bundle with A shitload of Star Trek comics.

:siren: This includes the TNG Mirror Universe comics "Through the Mirror", "Mirror Broken", and a ST:VOY Mirror Comic: "Mirrors and Smoke". Captain Janeway is a Pirate Queen of the Delta Quadrant. :siren:

Would Mirror Voyager even be trying to get back to the alpha quadrant? That's long after the fall of the Terran Empire and most of humanity isn't doing well back home.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Planet of the Apes vs Star Trek comics, huh.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No he isn't. He's a fine character riiiiight up until a nasty bit of exposition in episode 11 (I think it's 11, maybe 12?) where Empress Georgiou states that Lorca was a "surrogate father to Michael, groomed her [implying for greatness, but still], and when she came of age they became 'something more'". Dude's a bigger grooming pedophile than Neelix.

That's the point. I might have worded it bad. Jason Isaacs portrays him so drat perfectly fitting prime universe, hes so cool and stuff but with some dirty secrets. Or mystery. Or something else. And when you find out hes the main mofo and a bad guy from mirror universe all his previous actions fall in place showing him that he actually was behaving like a guy from mirror universe, just without the goatee or moustache but we never knew until the reveal! So 'Lorca is good' means hes written and portrayed perfectly for the role.
Not Anthony Hopkins' or even Heath Ledger levels of perfect villain portrayal but indeed very good.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Humble Bundle currently has a bundle with A shitload of Star Trek comics.

Star Trek vs. Transformers

What the actual loving gently caress :wtf:

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jan 30, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dely Apple posted:

Planet of the Apes vs Star Trek comics, huh.

I reckon someone thought up the joke "The Primate Directive" first and worked from there.

AntherUslessPoster posted:

That's the point. I might have worded it bad. Jason Isaacs portrays him so drat perfectly fitting prime universe, hes so cool and stuff but with some dirty secrets. Or mystery. Or something else. And when you find out hes the main mofo and a bad guy from mirror universe all his previous actions fall in place showing him that he actually was behaving like a guy from mirror universe, just without the goatee or moustache but we never knew until the reveal! So 'Lorca is good' means hes written and portrayed perfectly for the role.
Not Anthony Hopkins' or even Heath Ledger levels of perfect villain portrayal but indeed very good.

Not a chance in hell. The decision to write the character the way they did permanently tars Lorca as a horrific grooming pedophile, even if it's through a single line that was frankly unnecessary to literally anything in the plot. But there it is now, an elephant forever in the room regarding Lorca :stare:. Especially when literally every aspect of his decisions through the season are functionally wrapped around in that nasty little fact and it's a key aspect of his character as-shown.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
All the Mirror Universe stuff in Discovery sucks poo poo, especially turning Lorca from an aggressive captain running from past mistakes into a paper-thin mustache-twirling cartoon pedophile Trump analogue.

Everyone praises the MU stuff as Disco S1 righting the ship, but I honestly think it’s worse than the Klingon stuff.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Big Mean Jerk posted:

All the Mirror Universe stuff in Discovery sucks poo poo, especially turning Lorca from an aggressive captain running from past mistakes into a paper-thin mustache-twirling cartoon pedophile Trump analogue.

Everyone praises the MU stuff as Disco S1 righting the ship, but I honestly think it’s worse than the Klingon stuff.

My thought at first when that all goes down was he was over-playing the Big Villain role so he could find a way to get Discovery on their way back home and keep them safe without tipping his hand to his own MU people, because he's still on their side. But nope, he's just straight stupid cheesy villain backstabbing his friends on Discovery because.... the plot says to?... :shrug:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My thought at first when that all goes down was he was over-playing the Big Villain role so he could find a way to get Discovery on their way back home and keep them safe without tipping his hand to his own MU people, because he's still on their side. But nope, he's just straight stupid cheesy villain backstabbing his friends on Discovery because.... the plot says to?... :shrug:

:agreed:

His IQ drops by 50 points when they cross over because the plot demands it and it just completely undoes everything the first 2/3rds of the season built up for his character. It’s so aggressively stupid.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I reckon someone thought up the joke "The Primate Directive" first and worked from there.

Not a chance in hell. The decision to write the character the way they did permanently tars Lorca as a horrific grooming pedophile, even if it's through a single line that was frankly unnecessary to literally anything in the plot. But there it is now, an elephant forever in the room regarding Lorca :stare:. Especially when literally every aspect of his decisions through the season are functionally wrapped around in that nasty little fact and it's a key aspect of his character as-shown.

But it is a perfect display that even a good friend, decent tactician and fighter and exemplary officer can be a hidden nasty fuckface mcfuckingson in disguise. I dunno, I understood it that way and hope we will see real Lorca someday. Or its their general portrayal of 'normal' mirror universe people. [/s]Or they wrote it this way so he gets all the hate he possibly can so they can easily write him off and never remember about his character. [s]Or they tried to hop onto the weinstein case train. Or even that might have been a lie from Georgiou (totally in her character) to throw more shadow on him than needed.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Forgot about that. You are right then. I remembered him a bit better. So it indeed was a 'character write-off'.

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jan 30, 2020

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

spoiler tags are supposed to be for things that spoil the series, not expand why it's awful in the first place

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

New Concept Hole posted:

There's can be Jem'Hadar in Starfleet, but only if they're addicted to small talk.

That actually brings up another question: Since genetic engineering other than possibly to cure deadly diseases is banned in the Federation, would they remove the Jem'hadar addiction since they're a genetically engineered species anyway and this is just correcting an earlier crime?

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

evilmiera posted:

That actually brings up another question: Since genetic engineering other than possibly to cure deadly diseases is banned in the Federation, would they remove the Jem'hadar addiction since they're a genetically engineered species anyway and this is just correcting an earlier crime?

As the white was their food, you want to remove their addiction to food? :D
Do they even have digestive systems to begin with 'curing addiction'?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

As the white was their food, you want to remove their addiction to food? :D
Do they even have digestive systems to begin with 'curing addiction'?

You mean aside from the Jem'Hadar that actually did break their addiction to Ketracel White?

evilmiera posted:

It'd probably get handwaved under the diseases banner as it is an actual chemical addiction they're forced to endure.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Star Trek vs. Transformers

What the actual loving gently caress :wtf:

Star Trek TAS, no less! It's pretty fun!

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You mean aside from the Jem'Hadar that actually did break their addiction to Ketracel White?

Huh?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There was an episode with a Jem'Hadar who didn't need the White to live.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

It's explained later in the episode that it was due to a mutation he had, which is probably an indication of how sloppy the Dominion's genetic engineering is if they didn't do anything to catch that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I mean they crank out Jem'Hadar by the thousand and are making replacements full-time during the war, if anything mutations seem low.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
There was also the one janked up Weyoun clone that had empathy and tried to stop the war, the dominion churns out clones fast enough that it's probably easier to just deal with mutations as they arise rather than clean up the whole process.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

the big problem with lorca was that he was coded as tough but good, but did a bunch of things that turned out bad, so just seemed badly written

then they did the mirror reveal and expected that to fix the whole thing but it still came off as badly written

jason isaacs did the best he could with a bad chatacter and i cant think of many actors that could have levelled out that kind of hack writing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I think I remember reading somewhere that, while season one of Disco was always going to go to the Mirror Universe, the decision for Lorca to also be from there came after scripts had been written and Isaacs had been hired.