Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

large_gourd posted:

i think i'll have a better sense of what the gently caress this show actually is with another couple of episodes. still in wait and see mode.
:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Something that felt a little odd was Admiral loving Hubris being completely closed to Picard's claim. I mean, he was just involved in a mysterious explosion on the roof of one of their buildings the day before (for which he does not appear to have been questioned by the police about) and I struggle to believe someone so incredulous would hold that rank unless they're also in on the plot (which it seems they are not?).

Probably didn't help that Picard brought none of the evidence he'd just acquired with him for some reason, cause you'd think she'd be very interested in both Romulan operations on Earth and the development of synths despite their acrimonious past.

I get why they did it from the show's marketability perspective, they wanted Picard on a ship with rag tag cool mercenaries not boring star trek crew members, so having him be shot down by Starfleet was necessary to that plot. It just didn't feel very organic or in character.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jan 30, 2020

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Wasn’t Romulan Space comparable to the Federation in territory? Did the Super Nova destroy all of their systems? 900 million seems like a low number even for one planet. This writing blows.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

gohmak posted:

Wasn’t Romulan Space comparable to the Federation in territory? Did the Super Nova destroy all of their systems? 900 million seems like a low number even for one planet. This writing blows.

No, not really. Federation space has always been substantially bigger than any of the other Alpha/Beta quadrant players from TNG onwards. Note the blue to the far east separated by the Klingons is also part of the Federation.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Bringing back the syndrome from All Good Things is a good plot device to use if Patrick dies while they're filming I guess and to remove his presence from the show and maybe if that doesn't happen, with the borg plot, they can have borg tech repair it

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Thom12255 posted:

Bringing back the syndrome from All Good Things is a good plot device to use if Patrick dies while they're filming I guess and to remove his presence from the show and maybe if that doesn't happen, with the borg plot, they can have borg tech repair it

It'd be pretty weird to have Star Trek: Picard without Picard. Not saying they wouldn't do that, it'd just be weird.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
The 'Romulans have always hated all AI' plot is odd - TNG had Admiral Jarok talk to Data about it: "You're the android. I know a host of Romulan cyberneticists that would love to be this close to you."

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Thom12255 posted:

The 'Romulans have always hated all AI' plot is odd - TNG had Admiral Jarok talk to Data about it: "You're the android. I know a host of Romulan cyberneticists that would love to be this close to you."

By "cyberneticists", he meant "double secret Tal Shiar", and by "this close to you", he meant "within stabbing distance".

For real though this is one of those "the story they want to tell trumps a throwaway line from 30 years ago don't worry about it" things.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

This episode started with some super clunky exposition about the Romulans super double secret police that is the kind of story telling I kind of hate. But I think it picked up with the Borg cube stuff. So they're removing the fixtures from dead Borg, but they still stay dead? I mean, nice to be respectful and all, but why? To further study the Borg? I definitely want to learn more about what's going on there.

And yeah, Alison Pill is great.

So sexy Romulan spy is trying to get close to her to learn more about where other androids may be? Don't they know they're un-activated, based on what happened when they attacked the last one? Why do they think she knows anything?

I like the idea that Maddox kept researching androids and just completely hosed it up. No where near as advanced, and I'm guessing hackable? By these Romulan spies?

Still finding it's footing, but it has me hooked to see what happens next.

Nitrousoxide posted:

No, not really. Federation space has always been substantially bigger than any of the other Alpha/Beta quadrant players from TNG onwards. Note the blue to the far east separated by the Klingons is also part of the Federation.

As a primarily Star Wars fan where this poo poo is not thought out to anywhere NEAR this degree, I find maps like this fascinating.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I kinda feel like the desire to avoid TNG characters hurt this episode a good bit, especially when they get namedropped. If they didn't want to tell a TNG story, they shouldn't have made it about Picard.

Geordi and Worf would've been perfect people to try to convince him not to go or to go get him a ship. I get not wanting to tell a story with the same old people, but you get a lot better character moments if it's them rather than his old doctor from the stargazer. His crew doesn't have to be the old crew, but I feel like giving the ensemble bit parts would've worked better here in telling more story in less time.

The admiral scene kinda sucks, i think, because they really wanted to get to the 'hard decisions' line but had no idea how to get there.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 30, 2020

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Panzeh posted:

I kinda feel like the desire to avoid TNG characters hurt this episode a good bit, especially when they get namedropped. If they didn't want to tell a TNG story, they shouldn't have made it about Picard.

Geordi and Worf would've been perfect people to try to convince him not to go or to go get him a ship. I get not wanting to tell a story with the same old people, but you get a lot better character moments if it's them rather than his old doctor from the stargazer. His crew doesn't have to be the old crew, but I feel like giving the ensemble bit parts would've worked better here in telling more story in less time.

The admiral scene kinda sucks, i think, because they really wanted to get to the 'hard decisions' line but had no idea how to get there.

I sympathize with Starfleet's position - it is pretty serious for member worlds to be threatening to pull out and after the attack I can easily see the rest of the Federation giving in out of fear. I think this is meant to be a mirror of the western and eastern European Union countries fighting over the Middle East refugee crisis. I think the Admiral scene makes sense if you view it as divorced parents coming face to face after decades not seeing each other and Picard acting like he can act like he can ignore all the bad things that happened.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

As a primarily Star Wars fan where this poo poo is not thought out to anywhere NEAR this degree, I find maps like this fascinating.

Star Trek nerds love stuff like this, but what's onscreen doesn't actually support or care about star maps or other peripheral content. You'll have characters say things like "the cardassians are going through romulan space to stage surprise attacks on the federation" and people on screen will nod like that's a perfectly sensible thing and you just have to not care that it contradicts your Star Trek Encyclopedia.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Thom12255 posted:

I sympathize with Starfleet's position - it is pretty serious for member worlds to be threatening to pull out and after the attack I can easily see the rest of the Federation giving in out of fear. I think this is meant to be a mirror of the western and eastern European Union countries fighting over the Middle East refugee crisis. I think the Admiral scene makes sense if you view it as divorced parents coming face to face after decades not seeing each other and Picard acting like he can act like he can ignore all the bad things that happened.

I think that's pretty reasonable, I don't really have a problem with what, but more, that a Starfleet admiral meeting another former admiral would respond to the request with an emotional outburst like that. That feels like a weird, forced moment where she gets to yell to him about hard decisions and Picard gets to be a hero and own the evil admiral.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Panzeh posted:

I think that's pretty reasonable, I don't really have a problem with what, but more, that a Starfleet admiral meeting another former admiral would respond to the request with an emotional outburst like that. That feels like a weird, forced moment where she gets to yell to him about hard decisions and Picard gets to be a hero and own the evil admiral.

My sense was she was possibly putting on a show for the other Actually Evil Commodore. She knew the Commodore (idk if we know if she's Section 31 or just normal Starfleet Intelligence?) would be aware of the meeting and possibly listening in, and that she was supposed to turn Picard down. The Commodore makes a note when she's needlessly expositing at the Romulan lieutenant that when Admiral Absolute loving Gall told her about her meeting with Picard, she left out crucial details.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Pinterest Mom posted:

Star Trek nerds love stuff like this, but what's onscreen doesn't actually support or care about star maps or other peripheral content. You'll have characters say things like "the cardassians are going through romulan space to stage surprise attacks on the federation" and people on screen will nod like that's a perfectly sensible thing and you just have to not care that it contradicts your Star Trek Encyclopedia.

Oh so it's exactly like Star Wars then. Cool.

Y'all have a jivjov around here who refuses to let canon go?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I did chuckle at the "5124 days since the last assimilation" sign in the cube staging area.

Which, interestingly, lines up just right with the Mars attack.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Pinterest Mom posted:

Also a 2D map of space is not very meaningful. Maybe the Romulan empire is shorter in length and width compared to the federation, but greater in height.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I did chuckle at the "5124 days since the last assimilation" sign in the cube staging area.

Which, interestingly, lines up just right with the Mars attack.

5843 https://i.imgur.com/MeKQqaV.png the VERY next day is 16 years exactly (12*365 + 4*366 =5844) so... LMAO if its not a foreshadowing

marktheando posted:

Also a 2D map of space is not very meaningful. Maybe the Romulan empire is shorter in length and width compared to the federation, but greater in height.

Thats what always baffled me when seeing ST visualisation of maps. I get it, its for viewer's easier understanding but a small blop of someone's space on the map can be a 2k LY cylinder of controlled space.

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 30, 2020

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

That was funny.

It should have been the cube spitting out a dodecahedron, which cracks open and disgorges a sphere, which a cone twists out of, then that sheds its damaged hull to become a cylinder and then, finally, one naked drone spiralling towards the Earth from high orbit.

I drew this yesterday but got sidetracked by real work

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

They seem to be going with the end of Voyager being truly cataclysmic for the Borg. Whatever Future Janeway did to them absolutely ruined them beyond recovery from all outward appearances. This also tracks with the backstory of Star Trek 2009 where Nero's ship was a Romulan mining ship outfitted with recovered tech from a dead Borg ship that then activated and self-replicated until it turned the ship into that monster of spikes and blades seen in the film before they got it under control.

Oh, well, I'm glad they did something to explain his goth spike ship. I always thought it looked a bit sinister for what was supposed to be like, a mining vessel.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Give us an Elite Dangerous style 3D blob map now CBS.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That was really good. When the classic theme started I couldn't stop smiling.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Taking a really wild guess:
The Romulan species began as synthetic that's virtually indistinguishable from biology millennia ago. That's the closely guarded secret and reason they discourage research in robotics.

Heck, they can even do a repeat of the DISCO Kelpien storyline with how originally they were created by the Remans or ancient Vulcans or something crazy like that. I hope I'm not right.

Have we ever even seen an assimilated Romulan?

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 30, 2020

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
AFAIR yes.
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Borg_species

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Echo Chamber posted:

The Romulan species began as synthetic that's virtually indistinguishable from biology millennia ago. That's the closely guarded secret and reason they discourage research in robotics.

Heck, they can even do a repeat of the DISCO Kelpien storyline with how originally they were created by the Remans or ancient Vulcans or something crazy like that. I hope I'm not right.

We did in that one episode of Voyager where Chakotay finds that colony of former Borg

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Echo Chamber posted:

I could actually see that happening, and would explain THE SECRET and their hatred of synths.

I wouldn't really hate that. There are certainly dumber ways to go.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

marktheando posted:

Much like the planets of our solar system are all roughly on the ecliptic, much of the stellar content of our galaxy is in a roughly planar configuration. (Of course, the width of that plane is several thousand light years, even at the edges.)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You think the Irish Romulans hate the English Romulans

Also as a member of the Bones transporter school of thought watching all those people walk through those suicide arches makes me uncomfortable

You can tell that Measure of a Man was the most influential TNG episode w/r/t the premise of the show, they even made an army of Data proles just like Maddox said they wanted to do

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 30, 2020

Vaniljcola
Jul 11, 2009

The food replicator just a 3d printer :D

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I was wondering about that replicator. Why would it be programmed to make lovely food? Can't it make...anything?

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Seemlar posted:

I usually don't care about EU stuff all that much but I tracked down the prelude comic book they made out of curiosity and it says that Starfleet spent four years helping evacuate planets before withdrawing from the mission.

They only found out a few years in advance because the Romulans kept it a closely guarded secret.

Belated thanks, that clarifies a lot for the first episode. Especially that they were doing evacuations and stopped, not that they never started.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

I was wondering about that replicator. Why would it be programmed to make lovely food? Can't it make...anything?

They switched the dang protein matrix is what, even in the future the workin man gets the shaft

I always figured the UP shipyards were in space but I guess we all owe JJ an apology for building the Enterprise on earth now

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Logically I would think shipyards in space, but since the shipyard was named for a big ol' plain on the surface of Mars I guess it was on the tin

Edit: oh it's both

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 30, 2020

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh free advice for the thread: if you approach every episode with trepidation that it could be the one that proves you were right that the show was going to suck - that's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

The themesong and its graphics are absolutely perfect. It's fitting that the first Star Trek show that focuses on introspection is also the first to use "exploration of the nanoscopic and AI" graphics instead of "exploration of the macroscopic" graphics, and the opening with the shard of glass falling from the sky over the vineyard ending with it becoming part of Picard's face is great.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Honestly I can't remember the theme tune except that the flute from the inner light is in it slightly

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
My little nerd brain can't stop pausing every 15 minutes to Google whether each new character is someone I'm supposed to remember from TNG or entirely new.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

Logically I would think shipyards in space, but since the shipyard was named for a big ol' plain on the surface of Mars I guess it was on the tin

Edit: oh it's both

One thing that confused me is the robot guy did something that looked like it turned orbital defense platforms on the planet, but then there were mystery spaceship bombers as well? One thing that I think we can all agree on is that the Super Tal Shiar did android 9/11 for the same reasons that George Bush did actual 9/11

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

zoux posted:

One thing that confused me is the robot guy did something that looked like it turned orbital defense platforms on the planet, but then there were mystery spaceship bombers as well? One thing that I think we can all agree on is that the Super Tal Shiar did android 9/11 for the same reasons that George Bush did actual 9/11

Kurtzman pulls off his Scooby-Do mask to reveal Robert Orci.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Yeah who’s that lady from the end? Are we supposed to remember her?