Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Floppychop posted:

Anthem is baffling to me. How do you gently caress up cool flying power armor to the point where it's not fun?

You assume that it's going to end up working out in the end because of Bioware "magic", all the while spending several years with an engine not really suited to what you might be doing and not deciding on what the game should even be. I think the guy who was in charge of development when Anthem released had only been in charge of said development for less than two years? Before that, they would just have meetings where no one actually made decisions on what to keep and what to get rid of, managers and lead devs coming and going etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Twincityhacker posted:

I think my problem with the recipes in New Vegas is mostly they give you a bunch of ingredients, and then don't have recipes for them. I have the Ultimate Edition, and while it helps there are still large gaps. There are quite a few food items that have either one use or no use at all.

Also, I like how 76 rewards you not just to endlessly loop the lowest food vs having a weekly campout at Goodsprings.

I've not played Fallout 4 survival because gently caress save on sleep.

EDIT: I thought Anthem was somehow more DOA, since you can get some fun out of 76.

Install Survival Options Holotape and do it imo. It's pretty fun.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/14650

Also Sofa Surfer

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/24944

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The WWE 2K20 Monster factory crashed on them twice. The rage was palpable.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I didn't miss this, did I?

Bethesda's fix for stolen Fallout 76 inventories is generous and complicated

PCGamer posted:

Players will be given a clone of their pre-theft character, and will have to arrange a meetup with Bethesda for a merge.

It's... certainly something.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

For the character fusion, do you have to perform the dance or can you use the earrings?

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Well the dance isn’t permanent, but it’s cheaper and they can blame the players for any mistakes.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

quote:

As jason9045 put it, "That doesn't suck."

High praise indeed, for Bethesda.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

I know this is dumb as hell, but I'm trying to draw a listing of recipes from 4 and 76 that can be directly added, like... roasted ant... and I came across the lore of tatos.

Namely, tatos being a hybrid of the extinct tomato and potato in 4 lore.

Despite that potatoes being live and well in New Vegas.

Different parts of the country I guess, but drat. Also, that is a dumb hybrid and acknowlaging it as gross and dumb doesn't take away from it.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

A tomato/potato hybrid that somehow grew potatoes in the dirt and tomatoes above the dirt would be neat as hell though.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
Tbh I like the idea of just this weird thing existing, no explanation really. Instead of trying to nuke out the deets of some failed WestTek experiment that was actually paid for by the Institute to do some nefarious thing, and that’s why it’s here and there but not the other place too.

Game dev: “Idk, man. It’s just an ugly lil food crop thing”
Bethesda writer: “But what is it’s story??? It’s motivations??? It’s reason for being?????”

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Floppychop posted:

A tomato/potato hybrid that somehow grew potatoes in the dirt and tomatoes above the dirt would be neat as hell though.

Hmm...

It’s not really a hybrid, unfortunately. You can’t just grow one, you make it by growing a tomato plant and a potato plant and grafting them together. Still cool though. Turns out they’re both in the nightshade family.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

I mean, when I say lore it's mostly just flavor text of Elder Maxon going "Ew, gross. It's like an extict tomato that tastes like a potato."

I'm just exceedingly cranky about being unable to backport more recipes because one of the staple crops is *almost* a tomato.

The Mojave seems to just have less mutated plant life than the other wastelands, outside Vault 22.

Floppychop posted:

That would be cool.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I ran a fallout RPG game set in the Morongo valley of California. No one decided to nuke it because it wasn’t really a military target, which meant the Joshua tree rangers feuding with the retro rat pack of Palm Springs.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

It really says so much about how broken and messy Fallout 76 actually is.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

RagnarokZ posted:

It really says so much about how broken and messy Fallout 76 actually is.

It says that there's essentially nothing about Fallout 76 that isn't the single player Gambryo engine except they keep the maps on a server.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

lmao they really need to just patch this into a single player game at this point

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

ASenileAnimal posted:

lmao they really need to just patch this into a single player game at this point

I played it at launch on Xbox 76, but I would no joke love to play this with no online and NPCs. There were some really neat locals (like that haunted summer camp)

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Iacen posted:

I played it at launch on Xbox 76, but I would no joke love to play this with no online and NPCs. There were some really neat locals (like that haunted summer camp)

well luckily you can pay for the right to play single player

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

The game is single player (there is only a single player in the game, you see)

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

7c Nickel posted:

I dunno, right now 76 still has like four times the viewers of Anthem on Twitch.

People slow down to look at accidents.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1222211458278162433

leading to

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1222214959230119936

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
kind of want to reinstall 76

please help

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Call 1-800-273-8255
Available 24 hours everyday

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Not to start an FNV vs FO3 debate (except actually yes) but I've been playing Old World Blues and I got thinking about how Old World Blues as it's described as an ideological concept in the Wasteland could be applied to the rest of New Vegas. Everyone in the Mojave is chasing a dream from the past rather than looking to the future. The NCR wants a return to form. The Legion draws on Rome. House is obsessed with the idea of Vegas that should have died way more than 200 years ago, and the Khans and Brotherhood lament their lost glories of days gone by.

It's an interesting concept when contrasted against 3 and 4 where factions draw on Prewar iconography as a kitschy means of identity because New Vegas doesn't really treat any of these old world blues obsessed factions as being all that great. The Minutemen being revolutionary war militia is played straight, while New Vegas says "those Roman cosplayers kinda suck."

It's not a surprise then that I gravitate towards the group's in the Mojave that are trying to make a go at starting a new life. Once you get past the xenophobia the Boomers are just normal people getting by. The Super Mutants just want to be left in peace. The Followers are actively developing new medicines and science to build on top of what is already there. Westside is pretty self sufficient compared to other Vegas communities. They don't dwell on the past and instead look to the future.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

The same theme runs through the other DLCs. Dead Money is centered around a monument to pre-war excess that drives people to ruin simply by being a tangible piece of the old world to fixate on. Honest Hearts is a little disconnected from the other DLCs, but still has themes of fixation on the past with Daniel and Joshua squabbling over their interpretations of a nearly-dead religion with lives hanging in the balance. Lonesome Road, well, yeah. Really, all OWB did was put a name to the phenomenon that the entire game revolves around.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

...huh, I just realized it's sorta meta texually "letting go" of the IP too.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"
Westside was run by the Kings. Boomers were obsessed with Old World tech. The super mutants and the Followers are really the only ones trying to move forward. I like that you have the choice to convince Arcade to move forward or reconnect with his Enclave past, the latter resulting in a bad ending for him.

Edit: I also just remembered the Boomers had a museum to their glorious history that they used to indoctrinate their children in a very creepy cult-like manner.

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 30, 2020

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I think the Boomers are trying to move forward as well. Once the Courier gets to them, Pearl uses it as an opportunity to try and have the others start getting used to outsiders. You can even convince them to let that one Crimson Caravan employee to stay with them, and some of the endings have them start venturing out in the wasteland.

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Edit: I also just remembered the Boomers had a museum to their glorious history that they used to indoctrinate their children in a very creepy cult-like manner.

I don't remember if other kids go into the museum. The only kid there is the tour guide, and I think he's just filling in for the actual guide.

The one that's more of a creepy cult to me is Jason Bright.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

im not sure about FO4 factions really leaning that heavily on prewar

I mean, the Minutemen are definitely tapping into that imagery but its also just a (barely functioning) citizen's self-defense force against all the dangers of the commonwealth. It doesn't fit in FNV but that's because it'd probably be more at home in Fallout 1 or 2. A Minuteman ending Diamond City could possibly go on its way to be an east coast NCR in time, though, and probably run into the same problems as the NCR

The Maxson-led Brotherhood has already moved on in a sense, breaking with West Coast traditions and recruiting locals, adopting a more "save the common people" stated mission goal. Only thing is this just leads to expansionism and a still very narrow definition of who "people" are

But the Railroad isn't really tied into anything prewar besides what they can find. There's the freedom trail, sure, but that's just a test/trap. It's not like they're sitting around listening to holotapes of the prewar and imitating it, and they only have a very vague organizational history due to compartmentalization and tradecraft. If anything they're probably closest to the Followers in being a completely post-war organization

And Institute is its own thing, reflected in its more later 60s/early 70s aesthetic which is a departure from the more raygun-scifi feel elsewhere. They were never looking back at the Prewar days, working towards something new instead

i guess there's the atom cats

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Westside was run by the Kings. Boomers were obsessed with Old World tech. The super mutants and the Followers are really the only ones trying to move forward. I like that you have the choice to convince Arcade to move forward or reconnect with his Enclave past, the latter resulting in a bad ending for him.

The Boomers restore a B-29 to airworthy so they automatically get a pass from me

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Westside was run by the Kings.

Freeside was run by the Kings. Westside is an independent community north of Fiend Territory.

To continue stoking the flames, Shamus Young put out a video on how Bethesda doesn't get Fallout:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8U4k2Ik6yk

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Dr.Smasher posted:

The Boomers restore a B-29 to airworthy so they automatically get a pass from me

How could they have done that when they were all brutally slaughtered to a man by a sneaky assassin for refusing to aid the NCR?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Those mini boomers are tech wunderkinder and they're marked as essential.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Arcsquad12 posted:

Freeside was run by the Kings. Westside is an independent community north of Fiend Territory.

To continue stoking the flames, Shamus Young put out a video on how Bethesda doesn't get Fallout:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8U4k2Ik6yk
There are a lot of ways to argue this point, some of which I would even agree with, but lol specifically at the things he claims Bethesda shoehorned into Fallout 3 (50s gangs, gangsters with tommyguns, throwback hair/clothing styles) that are present in abundance in New Reno in Fallout 2

Also it pisses me off instantly when someone does not know Fallout's history starts with Wasteland, for obvious reasons

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Original fallout fans just need to walk quietly into that good night. Because there were only a few hundred of them left anyway in 2007. Just let us have our fun and popular 3D Fallout world.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Katt posted:

Original fallout fans just need to walk quietly into that good night. Because there were only a few hundred of them left anyway in 2007. Just let us have our fun and popular 3D Fallout world.

fallout new vegas is good and worthy of praise. original fallout fans dont really have issue with that one

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Katt posted:

Which one is that?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Chronojam posted:

Which one is that?

He meant 2004

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Wolfsheim posted: