Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

could be lack of tension as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bort
Mar 13, 2003

taqueso posted:

I put rice flour on the banneton, works like magic
I've avoided this because I have no use for rice flour except for dusting the banneton. But yeah, flour sticks like crazy, I'm just wondering if it gets better as they condition. I've probably put a couple dozen loaves through these and I've had two or three that didn't stick. The wet dough that makes the really great bread just doesn't work right with them so far. I also feel like if I put too much flour in the banneton, it coats the top of the loaf and tastes burned/musty.

I guess I'll knuckle under and buy some rice flour. I love cornmeal, too, but others who eat my bread don't as much. I might also just dispense with them. They're not helping.

edit:

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

could be lack of tension as well
So, what improves that? Fold it during the first hour of bulk fermentation? I get a bubbly crumb that I love, and I don't want to tighten it too much.

bort fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 28, 2019

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The two shapings form the skin

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Is there any risk with trying to revive a sourdough starter that's been refrigerated in a sealed mason jar for like 2+ years? I haven't looked closely but I'm guessing there is a small amount of mold. Just curious if that can be salvaged safely by isolating a small clean portion to create the new starter.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Solarin posted:

Is there any risk with trying to revive a sourdough starter that's been refrigerated in a sealed mason jar for like 2+ years? I haven't looked closely but I'm guessing there is a small amount of mold. Just curious if that can be salvaged safely by isolating a small clean portion to create the new starter.

Not really aside from wasted time, as long as you feel confident that the portion you grab is mold free. Be prepared for very little puffing up the first two mixes probably. Make sure you scour the mason jar with boiling water, though.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I suck at baking. But I love bread and am happy to buy loaves from a real bakery. That said, my bread knife sucks. Is there a recommended one?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Shooting Blanks posted:

I suck at baking. But I love bread and am happy to buy loaves from a real bakery. That said, my bread knife sucks. Is there a recommended one?

My Tojiro one owns.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The victorinox one is quite good and cheap

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

Bread knife is not worth splurging on. Spend as much as you're willing on how pretty you think it is or if you want a label. I used some random weird yellow one for years.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Shooting Blanks posted:

If you're stepping up from whatever grocery store brand knife, you'll be quite happy with this Mercer 10" (be sure to get a blade guard for it though-- shop around for a cheap one).

Also I think I only paid $12 bucks for that knife so see if it goes on sale any, or get the Victorinox one if it's cheaper.

You can't really sharpen serrated knives like this so consider them semi-disposable.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

I am pretty happy with my Zwilling knife that came in the set I have:

But will be moving to a Sabatier soon, when I do some kitchen remodeling"

There is no real reason for this other than that I like spending frivolous money.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I got a good long cheap bread knife from a bakery supply shop. Can’t see it in that site anymore. I’m usually a bit of a knife snob but it does a decent job.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Thumposaurus posted:

The victorinox one is quite good and cheap

Seconding this.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Hey all, looking to start baking bread. Any book recs?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

I think you are better off kneading than reading!
Just use the recipe in the op or the noknead, that is all you need now.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hot Diggity! posted:

Bread Baker's Apprentice and Flour Water Salt Yeast are both great books with a lot of techniques and recipes that will take you far.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Bread freezing questions.

The two types of bread I make most often are the Flour Water Salt Yeast overnight bread and Roberta's Pizza Dough.

There are many times when I want fresh-baked bread or good pizza, but I don't have time for the slow rise. I'd love to have frozen dough that I can thaw and put in the oven without waiting for fermentation.

Can I freeze dough at the point it's ready to bake? After the FWSY has fermented overnight...or after the pizza dough has spent 3 days in the fridge? And then thaw it on the counter and bake it when it reaches room temp?

Barring that, what's the best way to freeze baked bread? Vacuum sealer? What's the best way to thaw? Leave it out on the counter?

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Not sure about bread dough but you can for sure freeze pizza dough. Take your pan that is in the fridge and put it directly into the freezer, then place into a freezer bag once frozen solid. I would thaw in the refrigerator for 10-12 hours or however long it takes. Maybe give it an hour on the counter before prepping. YMMV depending on final dough temp but it may be a slightly more difficult to shape into a pizza. Still tastes great though.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Dough freezes fine. You can also look in to par-baking, where you shape the dough and bake it halfway before freezing, which lets you just put it straight back into the oven without a protracted thawing period

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Could anyone point me at a really good source of information on Sourdough/Starters/The fermentation side of things? Specifically I want to get into the nitty gritty of the science of it all. I've already had good experience and results just following "simple" guides, but I really want to get a deeper understanding of what is happening.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Bread science by Emily buehler

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Bread science by Emily buehler

Great suggestion! It's on the way now. The excerpts I found online are exactly what I had in mind.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i got FWSY for christmas and holy poo poo this book rules, i'm gonna have to run so much more to keep the carbs from accumulating

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Bagheera posted:

Bread freezing questions.

The two types of bread I make most often are the Flour Water Salt Yeast overnight bread and Roberta's Pizza Dough.

There are many times when I want fresh-baked bread or good pizza, but I don't have time for the slow rise. I'd love to have frozen dough that I can thaw and put in the oven without waiting for fermentation.

Can I freeze dough at the point it's ready to bake? After the FWSY has fermented overnight...or after the pizza dough has spent 3 days in the fridge? And then thaw it on the counter and bake it when it reaches room temp?

Barring that, what's the best way to freeze baked bread? Vacuum sealer? What's the best way to thaw? Leave it out on the counter?

I just slice and freeze in ziplock bags. I thaw it by toasting.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Hot Diggity! posted:

Flour Water Salt Yeast for technique, Bread Bible for recipes.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
My scale (CJ-4000) is starting to get a 10% drift with weights over 800ish grams and is making it hard to accurately feed my sourdough starter. Are there any general recommendations for scales so that I don't kill my baby Bulbasour?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Does your scale have an adjustment feature? Usually if you have a known weight that is the full scale range of the device you can do a 1 point cal if the scale allows for it.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Spiggy posted:

My scale (CJ-4000) is starting to get a 10% drift with weights over 800ish grams and is making it hard to accurately feed my sourdough starter. Are there any general recommendations for scales so that I don't kill my baby Bulbasour?

The My Weigh Maestro is the finest kitchen scale I have yet used, and I recommend it highly.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Recent Bread Adventures!

So I have continued on with sourdough, and I have really loved it. But before I get to the sourdough, some other bread-related things I have made recently.

I have made Samin Nosrat’s Focaccia recipe many times now and it is SO easy and so insanely good. Unlike sourdough it’s an easy process and can be made in 2 days (well, prep at night and bake the next day).

I also made a sourdough chocolate babka (well, 2 of them). This was a fiddly recipe and I think next time I will try a standard one, I don’t know that the sourdough added much except a lot of extra work and time. That being said, holy poo poo it was good.

But the best things I have made from sourdough leftovers are sourdough waffles:

and my personal favorite, giant sourdough chocolate chip cookies (from a recipe by Tara Jensen):

These cookies are insane, the outside is toffee-like and crispy and the middle is chewy and perfect. Can’t recommend them enough, and it’s a great use for your sourdough discard.

Now on to the bread!

I have made about 25 sourdough loaves now, and I have started to get a good handle on it. I have made some changes to my technique, including trying out an oval banneton (the loaf ends up being higher in more places, making it better for sandwiches):

And trying to minimize the time between taking them from the fridge and baking. This led to a nicer crumb, more swirl and better height:

My current schedule is:

-Levain build the night before, let it rise for 11 hours
-Autolyse 1 hour
-Bulk ferment 7 hours (1 slap and fold, 3 folds)
-Cold ferment 16 hours
-Bake in dutch oven, lid on at 475 for 20 min, lid off at 450 for 30 min

The other day I was in an awesome bakery nearby, and I bought one of their sourdough loaves to compare to my own. Theirs was really good, but I was very excited to see that it was not hugely different than mine! They had a more pronounced sour tang and had a really nice addition of some crunchy bits on the outside, but I am definitely in the ballpark, which is awesome.

Mine is on the left, theirs on the right:

So overall, I am loving the bread making and I find it to be a huge stress-reliever. Plus my daughter loves the bread, which makes it feel worthwhile. Overall, thumbs up!

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Hell yeah all of that looks real good. I’m gonna have to try to make the babka and sourdough cookies. I’ve been taking a break from bread recently but I think your post inspired me to get back into it.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

slave to my cravings posted:

Hell yeah all of that looks real good. I’m gonna have to try to make the babka and sourdough cookies. I’ve been taking a break from bread recently but I think your post inspired me to get back into it.

Awesome!

The sourdough cookie recipe is this one:

And the babka recipe is HERE. I added a simple sugar syrup glaze, brushed on at the end as it comes out of the oven, I recommend it.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Stuff that focaccia straight into my mouth please.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
I made a sourdough starter using this guy's starter and starter recipe (RIP Carl): https://carlsfriends.net/OTbrochure.html

I probably have about a cup or a cup and a half of fermented starter. How much should I be keeping on hand to keep the starter viable/how should I be feeding it to keep it going? I was going to use Jeff Varasano's sourdough pizza dough recipe but I want to keep the starter on hand for future recipes. Varasono link: http://www.varasanos.com/PizzaRecipe.htm

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

bartlebee posted:

I made a sourdough starter using this guy's starter and starter recipe (RIP Carl): https://carlsfriends.net/OTbrochure.html

I probably have about a cup or a cup and a half of fermented starter. How much should I be keeping on hand to keep the starter viable/how should I be feeding it to keep it going? I was going to use Jeff Varasano's sourdough pizza dough recipe but I want to keep the starter on hand for future recipes. Varasono link: http://www.varasanos.com/PizzaRecipe.htm

I keep about 50-100g in my fridge in a plastic take out container and try to feed it once a week. Toss out ~75% of it each time you feed it (the top may be slightly liquidy and dark but this is ok) and then add 1:1 flour water. You can keep it on the counter for 8-12 hours to make sure it’s still alive if you want but not strictly necessary. If you want to make dough with it you should do the same feeding process but keep it at RT for 24 hours and then feed it again before using it to make dough.

Ishamael posted:

Awesome!

The sourdough cookie recipe is this one:

And the babka recipe is HERE. I added a simple sugar syrup glaze, brushed on at the end as it comes out of the oven, I recommend it.

Nice. Thanks. I’ll try to make some cookies this week and post the results.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Flipperwaldt posted:

Stuff that focaccia straight into my mouth please.

deploying bread sled

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

bartlebee posted:

I would suggest weighing the container you plan to keep your starter in in grams while the container is empty. Then add 50 grams to that number. Write this number down or memorize it. This is the weight of container plus the amount of starter you should be holding back after each bake. So basically remove all starter except for 50 grams each time you feed it (the part you remove is typically called "discard" and you can throw it out or use it to bake with or whatever you want).

So you have 50 grams of starter in the container now and you will want to stir in 100 grams of the flour that you use and 100 grams of filtered water. Mix that up and let it start fermenting and rising.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I just use tap water for my starter. That's all I ever bake with so I select for the chlorine-hardy (and hexavalent chromium and arsenic-hardy) yeast right off the bat.

I really should get a reverse osmosis filter :ohdear:

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Thanks everyone. I think I understand the starter process now. I have the starter feeding again now to hopefully try a loaf tomorrow. I'll check back in if the results aren't too embarrassing.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

bartlebee posted:

Thanks everyone. I think I understand the starter process now. I have the starter feeding again now to hopefully try a loaf tomorrow. I'll check back in if the results aren't too embarrassing.

I really had a good experience following the levain section of Flour Water Salt Yeast which is a really nice book on basic bread. I never really kept up with sourdough due to having to move after making the starter but I though it turned out well when I tried it. Of course most people here are way more experienced at sourdough than me, but it was a good primer IMO.

Speaking of, wanted to add that Bread Thread is inspirational and I greatly appreciate it and motivated me to bake my first loaf in at least an entire dang year for the Mayo Challenge.

Its an extremely mundane execution of the basic rustic loaf but I'm glad that even though I have left my poor jar of yeast in the fridge of two different apartments over the course of the past year, I am still able to turn out an edible loaf.

Made it kinda dumbell shaped by accident turning it out of the bowl it rises in, tried to hide that with angles. But hey, been a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Tried to make Pita yesterday, but they didn't poof and pocket, The just unevenly bubbled. Oh well, still tasty. I'll try again later.