Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Buff Hardback posted:

Problem with anniversary2 (as someone who was a former SB shill but ended up getting banned for speaking out against JDM's pricky behavior), is that all of the reasonably priced supermicro 2011 boards available now are narrow ILM, so there's pretty much no desktop coolers that fit it. Anni2 is basically only supermicro boards, so you can either get a server specced narrow ILM air cooler that's noisy as all hell, get a much more expensive narrow ILM air cooler running a noctua fan, or just say gently caress it and get a couple of asetek AIOs and the narrow ILM bracket they sell separately

edit: to clarify the above position, JDM makes a decent build, but he's kind of a prick in literally every other situation, plus the massive conflict of interest with creating a guide then using ebay affiliate links i wasn't a fan of

I learned a lot from his site and his YT channel, but when I went on his reddit forum with a simple question about my build he was very dismissive because I wasn't following one of his builds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
Feel free to point me to the FreeBSD thread (I assume there’s a FreeBSD thread), but I’m doing a project in a jail on my FreeNAS box that requires installing the ports tree, and I was wondering if there’s anything to be gained installing that in a central location and mounting it into jails as I need them. Is it a nitpick, more trouble than its worth, a good idea, or something everyone does all the time that I just can’t find documentation for?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

pgroce posted:

Feel free to point me to the FreeBSD thread (I assume there’s a FreeBSD thread), but I’m doing a project in a jail on my FreeNAS box that requires installing the ports tree, and I was wondering if there’s anything to be gained installing that in a central location and mounting it into jails as I need them. Is it a nitpick, more trouble than its worth, a good idea, or something everyone does all the time that I just can’t find documentation for?
There used to be a thread for all of the BSDs united, but it died a bunch of years ago. Had a few developers in it too, if I recall correctly.
I've kind-of co-opted this thread to talk a lot about FreeBSD but occasionally mention it elsewhere too. Maybe if there's enough interest, a cross-BSD thread could be started anew?

Putting ports in a central jail and maintaining it there, then union mounting it to the jails you need it in is not a bad idea (in fact, extended further, it's the idea behind base jails) - but the ports tree doesn't take up a whole lot of space, compresses well with LZ4 (which is enabled by default), and there's something to be said for keeping ports trees separate as you may not always want to update all your ports trees at the same time.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

DrDork posted:

Of course getting 10Gb is just the start. Then you realize that, sure, you can hit 700+MB/s on iperf, but you can't actually sustain that for long actually moving real data. So then you look into throwing more RAM in there for a bigger write cache. And then you think that maybe upgrading your storage back-end so it can serve data at more than 300MB/s would be cool. And then, and then...

just admit defeat and order a disk shelf, then you can run 48 gbit/s and just run writes at drive speed

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
I am in a small 1bdr apartment where noise is a serious concern. That my girlfrien would murder me over the noise is really the biggest thing stopping me from just coming home with a rack to shove in the corner one of these days.

But if I can get a shelf for cheap and stuff it in a closet and run a fiber cable to it that's tacked along the base board....

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
The Consumer NAS/Storage Thread: Closer to or Exceeding Enterprise Storage every day

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Heners_UK posted:

The Consumer NAS/Storage Thread: Closer to or Exceeding Enterprise Storage every day

The Consumer NAS/Storage Thread: "There's a Colo in my basement"

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

CommieGIR posted:

The Consumer NAS/Storage Thread: "There's a Colo in my basement"

says the man that has more horsepower in his basement than runs our entire corporate cluster

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Crunchy Black posted:

says the man that has more horsepower in his basement than runs our entire corporate cluster

And I just got another blade :getin:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

DrDork posted:

I am in a small 1bdr apartment where noise is a serious concern. That my girlfrien would murder me over the noise is really the biggest thing stopping me from just coming home with a rack to shove in the corner one of these days.

But if I can get a shelf for cheap and stuff it in a closet and run a fiber cable to it that's tacked along the base board....

you could swap the fans

(I mean, no question it'll impact cooling performance somewhat, but it'll probably still be OK...)

The bigger question imo is just whether you have space for it at all. And it'll put out a fair amount of heat.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It's okay, we don't computer shame in here. Right everyone, right?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

D. Ebdrup posted:

It's okay, we don't computer shame in here. Right everyone, right?

I think this is the thread that shames you for not having enough computer (and/or storage)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I'll shame you: Don't put a damned disk shelf in your 1br apartment. You don't need that much anime. I don't care how quiet you make the fans it's a waste of space, power, and money.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

H110 is right, you can just pile the disks up in a corner somewhere, save money with no case

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
I'm setting up a new file server to replace an older one I've had for around 7 years that's showing signs I shouldn't be trusting it anymore.

I'm really looking for something that I can just place in a corner and not worry about for the most part, not a constant project, so I was leaning towards just using UNRAID but I'm afraid it can't meet both of the 2 criteria I was hoping to meet with this new server.

1. 2 disk failure redundancy while retaining the ability of individual data drives to be readable when moved to another PC (in case some event renders the system inoperable but HDDs are intact)
2. Automatic detection and remediation of bit rot

My thinking was UNRAID with BTRFS on the array would meet the above criteria but I'm getting mixed messages online about whether or not BTRFS is in a state at this point where it can be trusted to remain stable over a period of years.

Any other option that provides both? I'm not really concerned with array performance beyond native speed of a single HDD for this system. ZFS of course handles number 2 but as far as I was aware not number 1.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Elem7 posted:

I'm setting up a new file server to replace an older one I've had for around 7 years that's showing signs I shouldn't be trusting it anymore.

I'm really looking for something that I can just place in a corner and not worry about for the most part, not a constant project, so I was leaning towards just using UNRAID but I'm afraid it can't meet both of the 2 criteria I was hoping to meet with this new server.

1. 2 disk failure redundancy while retaining the ability of individual data drives to be readable when moved to another PC (in case some event renders the system inoperable but HDDs are intact)

My thinking was UNRAID with BTRFS on the array would meet the above criteria but I'm getting mixed messages online about whether or not BTRFS is in a state at this point where it can be trusted to remain stable over a period of years.

Any other option that provides both? I'm not really concerned with array performance beyond native speed of a single HDD for this system. ZFS of course handles number 2 but as far as I was aware not number 1.

Okay so this is my relatively uninformed answer:

bit rot is a non-issue on any file system made in the last 10 years for consumer workloads. I've never ever heard of anyone panic about bitrot on desktop platforms but all of you throw out the mere idea that your stuff could in theory magically flip bits and suddenly all logical thinking goes out the window and people start chasing bitrot proof filesystems and just make their life harder.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
As far as I know it's only a non-issue in ZFS, BTRFS, REFS and whatever Apple's latest and greatest FS is that I can't remember off the top of my head. Am I really super concerned that it's going to make a huge difference in what are mostly media files? No, but if talking about a 30+ TB file system that may be around for 10 years it's certainly the case that I'll suffer from it and it's not impossible in data more sensitive than a video file where it just results in a single frame artifact.

If there wasn't any good way around it I wouldn't worry about it but it seems silly not to mitigate it if I can without a lot of effort.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Bitrot caused by bitflips are the easiest thing to solve, as it can be fixed by merely putting checksums on any filesystem (including UFS, which Kirk McKusick is developing it for, for Netflix).
It's all the other failure modes of disks which is documented in this presentation that no other filesystem can cover all the bases of.
Some get close, while others like BTRFS are not trusted to do their job by anyone - at least that how it appears to me, considering not even Synology (the only company to use it in production to the best of my knowledge) don't even use it except as a thin layer on top of their own md RAID implementation which rather defeats the point.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Elem7 posted:

As far as I know it's only a non-issue in ZFS, BTRFS, REFS and whatever Apple's latest and greatest FS is that I can't remember off the top of my head. Am I really super concerned that it's going to make a huge difference in what are mostly media files? No, but if talking about a 30+ TB file system that may be around for 10 years it's certainly the case that I'll suffer from it and it's not impossible in data more sensitive than a video file where it just results in a single frame artifact.

If there wasn't any good way around it I wouldn't worry about it but it seems silly not to mitigate it if I can without a lot of effort.

The recommended array filesystem in Unraid is xfs. Your hard drives have ECC. You're significantly more likely to have issues in memory causing bad data to be written than the hard drive having a cosmic ray flip a bit.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

taqueso posted:

H110 is right, you can just pile the disks up in a corner somewhere, save money with no case

I understand that hanging 23 USB drives off a hub is a viable alternative to a disk shelf. Confirm/deny?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

DrDork posted:

I understand that hanging 23 USB drives off a hub is a viable alternative to a disk shelf. Confirm/deny?

OSX has had support for this since like 10.2 in 2003

I have four SSD doing this right now works ok

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Elem7 posted:

So for point 1 as you described it, ZFS will handle that. Just not in as individually readable drives. Your pool is still intact and you can import it on a new system. Or even an old system. If my FreeNAS box were to die but leave the drives intact, I would just stick the drives in my desktop and put FreeNAS on a usb, boot and import my pool. Then I'd work off my laptop until a replacement system arrived.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yep. The only limits about using a zpool in a different system is that the new system needs to support the same feature flags as the old one. Otherwise it will complain about not being exported cleanly but that's it.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Elem7 posted:

As far as I know it's only a non-issue in ZFS, BTRFS, REFS and whatever Apple's latest and greatest FS is that I can't remember off the top of my head.

APFS, and take it off your mental list because it only checksums file system metadata, not user data.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

D. Ebdrup posted:

There used to be a thread for all of the BSDs united, but it died a bunch of years ago. Had a few developers in it too, if I recall correctly.
I've kind-of co-opted this thread to talk a lot about FreeBSD but occasionally mention it elsewhere too. Maybe if there's enough interest, a cross-BSD thread could be started anew?

Putting ports in a central jail and maintaining it there, then union mounting it to the jails you need it in is not a bad idea (in fact, extended further, it's the idea behind base jails) - but the ports tree doesn't take up a whole lot of space, compresses well with LZ4 (which is enabled by default), and there's something to be said for keeping ports trees separate as you may not always want to update all your ports trees at the same time.

Thanks. I had more or less decided to maintain separate ports unless it was a terrible idea, only because it's so much easier. It's good to know I'm not sacrificing much for that.

I'm currently having a lot of fun setting up services in jails, FreeNAS's new UI makes it really easy to get things up and running now. I don't have much to contribute to a BSD thread, but I'd definitely lurk in one, or read any effortposts you care to write on the subject. It'd be nice to deepen my understanding/

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The RAID-0 one makes it seem like the water cooler would still work with the failure of one tank. Which it won't.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

The RAID-0 one makes it seem like the water cooler would still work with the failure of one tank. Which it won't.
That's the problem with analogies, of course. They always break down sooner or later, just like disks.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Imagine a dead rat clogging the neck as the failure mode

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Clark Nova posted:

Imagine a dead rat clogging the neck as the failure mode

Redundant array of inexpensive rats

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

Redundant array of inexpensive rats

That's Animal Testing 101.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3912856&pagenumber=1#lastpost

Know I'm inviting a goonrush by posting this here, but... shucking time.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

DrDork posted:

brav-loving-0 lol

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
So in my quest to spend money on hardware I probably don't need, I've got a line on a Z440 workstation that seems to get me what I want: E5-1650v3, >100GB RAM, under $400. I plan on using it for ESXi as a base and then FreeNAS (yes, I know the gotchas for virtualizing it) for storage, a smattering of your usual VMs like Plex, torrents, etc., and then 4-8 rotating VMs for home lab use, none of which will be doing any particularly heavy lifting. The only add-in cards I should need is my 10g NIC and HBA for a few more drives if I expand my pool at some point.

Is there anything I should know about the Z440 before I pull the trigger? I've very much enjoyed my current Supermicro's IPMI, and while it looks like the Z440 supports Intel AMT and DASH, I've never actually used either to see how well they can do remote KVM / remote media boot and, you know, the poo poo you actually want to use remote management for.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 31, 2020

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I haven't used AMT since a much older version of it. It was better than nothing, not nearly as good as Supermicro IPMI.

Does the box already have two separate drive controllers? You might need that HBA already so you have something to act as the local datastore for the FreeNAS VMDK.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
I believe it does. If not, no big deal, since I already have an IT-mode HBA from an earlier iteration of my server shenanigans that I can just drop in.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

AMT for remote display is spotty in my experience. My pfsense router has AMT and it's always worked. I also have an Optiplex 5070 and AMT on this has been an infuriating experience. Whether it lets me remote control it or not seems to be pretty random. The only time when it's guaranteed to let me is after I've moved it off my shelf, hooked up a monitor and keyboard. Basically when I no longer need the AMT to work.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I have a Synology NAS with Docker containers for SABNZBD and Sonarr/Radarr. Unfortunately, I must have acted the fool and changed the permissions settings in some way and accidentally took sonarr/radarr's access away. It used to be when I downloaded something, the end result would look like this:

complete
-TV
--SHOW NAME
---Season 6
----Renamed.File.mkv

Now, when I download something the result is like this:

complete
-TV
--Folder named after the download
---unchanged.file.mkv
--SHOW NAME
---Season 6

I believe what's happening is that sonarr searches for something and sends it to sabnzbd, which downloads the item and then drops it the categories corresponding folder (TV, Movies, etc). It used to be that sonarr/radarr would move and rename files after sabnzbd was done but this doesn't happen anymore it seems. Anyone know where I need to change the permissions in DSM? I tried allowing read/write access to docker via the file manager but this did not do the trick.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Incessant Excess posted:

I have a Synology NAS with Docker containers for SABNZBD and Sonarr/Radarr. Unfortunately, I must have acted the fool and changed the permissions settings in some way and accidentally took sonarr/radarr's access away. It used to be when I downloaded something, the end result would look like this:

complete
-TV
--SHOW NAME
---Season 6
----Renamed.File.mkv

Now, when I download something the result is like this:

complete
-TV
--Folder named after the download
---unchanged.file.mkv
--SHOW NAME
---Season 6

I believe what's happening is that sonarr searches for something and sends it to sabnzbd, which downloads the item and then drops it the categories corresponding folder (TV, Movies, etc). It used to be that sonarr/radarr would move and rename files after sabnzbd was done but this doesn't happen anymore it seems. Anyone know where I need to change the permissions in DSM? I tried allowing read/write access to docker via the file manager but this did not do the trick.

use nzbget instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Is there a guide to getting going with nzb stuff? I think you need to subscribe to a hoster like newshosting and an indexer too is that right?