Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Wuhan Coronavirus: RELAX! It's just the flu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

neutral milf hotel posted:

hope they cancel the super bowl

:evilbuddy:

"They didn't cancel the Rio Olympics over that tiny baby head virus, why should WE?"

Doomtalker
Dec 10, 2019

AceOfFlames posted:

"They didn't cancel the Rio Olympics over that tiny baby head virus, why should WE?"

God I hope so. It's going to be a party of the most ridiculously rich people in the world, given what a ticket to the loving super bowl costs. A whole bunch of old billionaires giving each other fishfuck flu and dying off would be awesome.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

whatever happened to Zika? is that still a thing in florida and stuff? I assume that like central america is still getting tiny baby heads, but who the gently caress cares about the browns

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYMlDMNz7xA

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Polo-Rican posted:

oh fffuck... Valentine's Day is coming up... a worldwide orgy of bodily fluids.... i don't see any way the human race survives the Suck And gently caress Fest known as Valentine's Day, 2020

eat poo poo sexhavers

Bass Concert Hall
May 9, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Infectious Disease Society of America (the professional org for ID docs) has created a clearinghouse for reputable info on nCoV and its pretty good:

https://www.idsociety.org/public-health/Novel-Coronavirus

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

So just some fun facts to keep us all distracted during the apocalypse.

If you see footage of stuff being sprayed in Wuhan, it's probably watered down chlorine / bleach. The community volunteers swing by our building once a day to spray the entrance areas. My elevator smells like a swimming pool now.

One thing that happens here is that water trucks power spray the roads, every day. They keep roads really clean (and leaf free, when fall comes), which is weird to me coming from US cities where we don't really give a poo poo about the roads. Just different priorities.

So if you see a truck spraying roads in some news footage, it's probably one of these trucks.

Total side story: today a friend of mine biked to another area to pick up a dog that a family left behind. She took the freeway back, because why not?

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug
Why tho? It's not like everyone walk barefoot or crawl on the ground. Wouldn't it make far more sense to spray down all doors and doorknobs?

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Luckyellow posted:

Why tho? It's not like everyone walk barefoot or crawl on the ground. Wouldn't it make far more sense to spray down all doors and doorknobs?

*shrug* beats me. Frankly I don't have a clear answer to why they spray the roads every day normally.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

SKULL.GIF posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpRR_WMqFq4

Welcome to Toronto!

Please wait while the severely dying are removed first.

PILOT: Ladies and gentlemen welcome to Toronto - At this time all passengers who are unconscious or on the last stages of death may now depart. We ask the remainder of you stay seated until you are cal- What the gently caress did you just open the-

CO-PILOT: RELAX! It's just the flu.

:eyepop:

... Anyway, will all be forgotten in a week, ten days, tops.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

lord funk posted:

Total side story: today a friend of mine biked to another area to pick up a dog that a family left behind. She took the freeway back, because why not?

God, biking through the streets after car culture is crushed would be fantastic. I'm so envious.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
A couple bits of news here that will help shed light on how other countries are reacting:

quote:

The Philippines announced its first confirmed case of coronavirus on Wednesday morning, after one of 29 people being monitored by the country’s department of health tested positive.

The patient is a 38-year-old Chines woman who traveled to the Philippines from Wuhan, China, via Hong Kong on January 21, health secretary Francisco Duque told a news conference, according to a report in the Rappler, an English language Filipino news website.

quote:

Singapore has confirmed three new cases of coronavirus, bringing the total number of infected patients in the city state to 13. All patients so far are Chinese nationals from Wuhan, Singapore’s health ministry is reported as saying by the Straits Times.

The latest patients are all in stable condition and warded in isolation rooms at the National Centre for Infectious Diseases, the paper said.

Seems like most (maybe all?) of those stories that get headlines like "FIRST CORONAVIRUS CASE IN PHILIPPINES!!" are in fact patients who are already in hospital or under isolation and monitoring, who start showing symptoms or whose tests come back positive, and not people going about their normal business who suddenly start coughing up a lung and go to the ER and infect everybody. imo the media could be more responsible in reporting on these things so we could more easily tell the difference between "a patient who is already isolated and under healthcare supervision tested positive" and "a brand new unexpected case that healthcare professionals didn't know about has appeared". Those two stories have very different implications for the possibility of wider spread, and yet they're both being irresponsibly reported as "new case of coronavirus in new country".

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

Xaris posted:

not so much as ncov itself but man 2020 in general just feels loving horrible and escalating descent into the hellworld depths--along with a bunch of personal poo poo. and things are most likely going to only get worse, gunna miss the 2010s as stupid as they were

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Armadillo Tank posted:

Viruses are really alive. The GBS thread went over this. A "good" post described them a predatory chemistry.

But viral infections can cause brain damage through secondary health effects. That never goes as demonstrated by general posting behaviour in the forums.

Serious question though:
Does north korea have significant traffic of chinese citizens? Are they the true madagascar in this scenario?

viruses do not maintain their internal condition or homeostasis. they are life-like but are not alive. :colbert:

Spergin Morlock fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 30, 2020

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

This is pretty cool:

https://twitter.com/zlj517/status/1222894177488273411

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

:wow:

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Vishass posted:

at least goons will be safe

You wish! The loving during the night of Valentine's Day is so intense that the air the next morning is at least 40% vaporized semen and spittle. Basically, a coronavirus aerosol

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

investigate the dnc you say?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Pete Townshend is about to announce whether they'll declare a global emergency in 18 minutes.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

:ohdear: is bioaerosol also sex stuff

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

Pete Townshend is about to announce whether they'll declare a global emergency in 18 minutes.

predictit leaving money on the table here

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

if it’s true that this virus does align with American ‘national interests’, then surely the cia engineered this virus and spread it intentionally

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Rated PG-34 posted:

if it’s true that this virus does align with American ‘national interests’, then surely the cia engineered this virus and spread it intentionally

it's absolutely not a bioweapon but i was lmaoing that npr brought on someone from the cia's invenstment arm and didn't identify them as such this morning

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Loot at all this bullshit.
Who lets something like this happen?

lord funk posted:

One thing that happens here is that water trucks power spray the roads, every day. They keep roads really clean (and leaf free, when fall comes), which is weird to me coming from US cities where we don't really give a poo poo about the roads. Just different priorities.

water trucks like these used to be really common in the USA, but they ended up washing all kinds of runoff and detergents and chemical nonsense into combined sewer systems, and then off into waterways, so they were phased out in favor of mechanical street sweeping

EDIT: or if you're like me and live in philly, phased out in favor of nothing

donoteat fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 30, 2020

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SKULL.GIF posted:

Whoops I forgot about time zones. This is at 1:30 EST, not right now.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

Whoops I forgot about time zones. This is at 1:30 EST, not right now.

dammit stop edging me

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SKULL.GIF posted:

took me a few minutes to get this joke lol

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/1222937056831332353?s=20

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

whatever happens happens :zpatriot:

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

spoilers it’s the spouse of the Chicago person who we already knew was infected

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I mean, it was inevitable.

I'm just surprised we've managed to avoid any cases in the UK as of yet. But we'll go down with the rest of you soon enough, I'm sure. :britain:

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

spoilers it’s the spouse of the Chicago person who we already knew was infected

don't take this away from skull.gif, he just wants the world to burn

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Note that the CDC has said, multiple times, that they expect a few more cases in specifically these sort of circumstances.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Speaking of the CDC, they're giving a conference at 3:30 PM EST today.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

SKULL.GIF posted:

Speaking of the CDC, they're giving a conference at 3:30 PM EST today.

I've actually been pretty impressed with the various governmental wings responding to this. They've been holding press conferences every day and seem pretty on top of things

Mind you its a fairly straight forward process right now.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Schnorkles posted:

I've actually been pretty impressed with the various governmental wings responding to this. They've been holding press conferences every day and seem pretty on top of things

Mind you its a fairly straight forward process right now.

:zombie: They lurk among us :zombie:

https://twitter.com/zerohedge/status/1222942755434921984

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

No loving way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
zerohedge??? too much horny.