Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
the idiot lurkers and GBS sinophobes (as well as select bloodthirsty regulars) are getting bored that SARS 2 isn't living up to their zombie apocalypse wet dreams so they're leaking from the Coronavirus shitposting thread into the sane China thread. this can only end well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

uncop posted:

Going to China would actually have a point if it meant learning the language and the going to work in the fields, some state-owned factory, or a sweatshop for months, rather than being a tourist or teaching English.

this is stupid

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
i hope im in the bloodthristy regulars

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
sorry, if you are part of the Kuomintang Gang your offensiveness was beneath my heavily drug-addled notice

uncop
Oct 23, 2010

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

this is stupid

I don't get it, my best guess is you mean stupid in the same sense as people who write articles about living for a while on the equivalent of welfare. The idea was that if one would want to learn about the uglier side of China in proper perspective in a way where actually visiting would be critical to the whole deal, what would make sense to me is being embedded in the life of some typical site of exploitation in the company of the exploited.

It's something I actually believe in a general sense rather than being some China-specific hot take, so I'm interested in honest refutations.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Autism Sneaks posted:

the idiot lurkers and GBS sinophobes (as well as select bloodthirsty regulars) are getting bored that SARS 2 isn't living up to their zombie apocalypse wet dreams so they're leaking from the Coronavirus shitposting thread into the sane China thread. this can only end well!

This is really lovely, "SARS 2" (cool joke) is pretty drat horrible and people I care about are scared shitless.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

is Real China like Real America

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

comedyblissoption posted:

is Real China like Real America

yes. exact same rednecks too

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

"sane China thread" lmao

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Modest Mao posted:

You can be an imperialist white teacher and do the Mao "Up to the Mountains and Down to the Countryside Movement" thing... The people I met who did this speak dialect very loving well which is a great asset to the state department

https://www.peacecorps.gov/china/

edit: oh no openings well, I do think there's lots of ways to go do good work in rural China but no one's gunna send a foreigner there without a little imperialism in mind

I applied to the Peace Corps after college and they rejected me. I suck =(

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

BrainDance posted:

This is really lovely, "SARS 2" (cool joke) is pretty drat horrible and people I care about are scared shitless.

it's a coronavirus-based illness that attacks the respiratory system and originated in China, I didn't call it SARS 2: Infectious Boogaloo and I was calling out the people treating this like a reality TV show. get over yourself.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Autism Sneaks posted:

it's a coronavirus-based illness that attacks the respiratory system and originated in China, I didn't call it SARS 2: Infectious Boogaloo and I was calling out the people treating this like a reality TV show. get over yourself.

Is there any event no matter how tragic that SA hasn’t immediately made jokes about

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

LimburgLimbo posted:

Is there any event no matter how tragic that SA hasn’t immediately made jokes about
I think we gave 9/11 a solid 2 hours before anyone put it to Yakety Sax.

nigel thornberry
Jul 29, 2013

lmao my Han friend is convinced that the US military spread the coronavirus

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Autism Sneaks posted:

which one am i

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

none of the above, you're the thread's equivalent to white noise

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

the boston bomber posted:

Considering Wilbur Ross was just gloating about this bringing jobs back to the US, probably.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

the boston bomber posted:

Vastly overestimating the competence of the US military is my favorite conspiracy theorist thing.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Vastly overestimating the competence of the US military is my favorite conspiracy theorist thing.

The US military did use biological weapons in the korean war, so its not that far fetched of a conspiracy

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

The US military did use biological weapons in the korean war, so its not that far fetched of a conspiracy
Nah it's still insane.

If the Army had tried this it would make you poo poo your pants and it would have been accidentally released in an Applebee's in Georgia.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

How convenient.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Autism Sneaks posted:

The unnamed country can only glow with rage over Chinese accomplishments like building a hospital in 6 days and not jacking up the prices for basic items...

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Autism Sneaks posted:

sorry, if you are part of the Kuomintang Gang your offensiveness was beneath my heavily drug-addled notice

what about these guys

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolutionary_Committee_of_the_Chinese_Kuomintang

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Mao was KMT too... it's Chiang Kai Shek who sucks, pretty clearly.

Like the hillary clinton of China... destined to win it all but due to hubris and malice lost everything

even more satisfyingly, lost it all to some wannabe poet from bumfuck nowhere whose own party didn't support him until he just. kept. winning.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Autism Sneaks posted:

China is doing pretty well at containing the virus, imo. It having a two week infectious incubation time is hosed up and it's a miracle it hasn't been way worse.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Modest Mao posted:

Mao was KMT too... it's Chiang Kai Shek who sucks, pretty clearly.

Like the hillary clinton of China... destined to win it all but due to hubris and malice lost everything

even more satisfyingly, lost it all to some wannabe poet from bumfuck nowhere whose own party didn't support him until he just. kept. winning.

bernie sanders... is mao?

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:30 on Mar 23, 2021

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
yeah, just the opionon I needed, a white german living in Beijing lmao

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Why can't chinese people speak for themselves? This author compares Chinese society to the borg from startrek, complains that his maid can't come in due the quarantine, and then complains the government is playing it too safe, and played it too safe during SARS as well (lol)

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Stairmaster posted:

bernie sanders... is mao?

Mao was pretty slick until he got full control... hope Bernie does better!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I don't see a comparison to the Borg as a negative tho.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

quote:

The most interesting question is why the party feels the need to carry on like this.

I like how he forgets there is a serious outbreak of a novel virus halfway through the article.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Modest Mao posted:

Why can't chinese people speak for themselves?

People are in private conversation, at least among people I know and probably Chinese people outside the mainland. But I don't think it needs to be spelled out in detail why we're not hearing as much of it publicly from Chinese people in the country, the arrest of the 8 whistleblowers (although that feels like a weird word to use in their case) isn't unknown, and I think says more about this than I could.

I'm sure you've seen the same thing talking to people about 1989, they have thoughts but they're not going to talk publicly, and don't want anything they say shared with anyone else, that's not rare.

Autism Sneaks posted:

Jokes about anything rule, but there's context that makes them lovely. You're not an idiot, I don't have to explain that to you. You're poo poo for using your "joke" to "call out the idiot lurkers."

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Modest Mao posted:

Why can't chinese people speak for themselves? This author compares Chinese society to the borg from startrek, complains that his maid can't come in due the quarantine, and then complains the government is playing it too safe, and played it too safe during SARS as well (lol)
the author clearly has a simplistic view of the borg as well owing to the lack of having seen the TNG episode "I, Borg"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8oyCGrbhpc

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

quote:

Do seek help. Do listen to the local government. Do keep warm. Do stay at home. Do avoid contact. Do wash your hands. Don’t spit. Don’t exert yourself too much. Don’t associate with people who’ve recently arrived from the infected area around the megacity of Wuhan. On the back was a list of all the Communist Party street committees and their phone numbers.

Finally, after five years of living in this neighborhood and countless failed efforts to register my complaints about illegal construction at night, I had some phone numbers. I filed the sheet for future use.

The German language has, as usual, a hyper-specific word for this phenomenon: “Aktionismus,” literally Actionism, or action for action’s sake. What I was witnessing was Aktionismus in the face of a problem that required a sensitive response involving public trust. But since the Chinese government cannot elicit either of those things, I was seeing the compensatory flailing-around of a state with no other options.

Instead of having an adult conversation with the population about the virus and putting in place reasonable policies that have been used effectively elsewhere, the Chinese state has gone into full lockdown mode. This demonstrates one of those truisms from political science: Authoritarian governments are like people who don’t have any fingers but do possess two thumbs. They can take forceful actions but can’t fine-tune the levers of government.

Actually, I’m not being fair. When the Chinese Communist Party has time, it can come up with and use sophisticated policies — witness its co-opting of traditional faiths to fill a spiritual vacuum in society.

But when faced with a crisis, the party can’t seem to avoid grand gestures: building hospitals from scratch in two weeks, locking down tens of millions of people, banning millions more from traveling to big cities and so on. In some ways, a moment like this one is a technocrat’s dream: When Western health care experts say that this sort of lockdown won’t work, they basically mean it’s never been tried on this scale with this kind of uber-efficient government.

Now that it’s being tried, not just in Beijing but across the country, the effects are kind of thrilling to watch. Apartment compounds like mine are being fumigated. (With what? Who cares!) People are walking around with loudspeakers blaring out warnings against the virus. Villages are closing their gates as if bandits were on the prowl. And going to a restaurant or a bar is almost an act of treason or, at best, foolish selfishness.

Modest Mao posted:

yeah, just the opionon I needed, a white german living in Beijing lmao
Thats some fine tuned response you got there!

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
https://www.scmp.com/video/hong-kong/3048148/hong-kong-health-care-workers-vow-strike-against-government-handling

I am tracking this news of a (new?) HK health care union threatening to strike if the government doesn't close the border.

I think it will be a pretty signaling case for the continue fight between the HK government and the protesters in 2020.

On the one hand, 6000 members is a pretty big sized pool to make a dent; on the other hand, using the virus to threaten the government could turn the general consensus against themselves. Both sides have a lot of options. Carrie Lam can close the border partially; and the union can also strike partially in stages.

However Lam has a lot of options in response. She can make compromise (after all, its not a decentralized protest so at least you can negotiate with somebody); she can crack it down hard like Reagan did to the air traffic controllers or Cathay to the flight attendant union; she can bring in mainland health care workers and paint the union the selfish bunch. Of course this would be organized by liaison office.

And the general Hong Kongers responses could go either way. Even on scmp I am reading different feedbacks. It could play out very differently and signal what the new mainland liaison leadership's plan for HK in 2020 in regard to some upcoming hot potato issues such as the textbooks and the "uncooperative" civil servants.

Some think tank already predicted that in 2020, 40% of the countries will see unrest and HK/Chile are leading flashpoints so HK protest will continue in some shape of form.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
The border situation is pretty ridiculous, people are hella mad at the slow HK gov response by shutting down the train lines but not the airport and not meeting their own target that they set. Paranoia is thru the roof with people queuing outside the pharmacies when the delivery shipment comes in hoping to buy some flu masks. There are rumours floating around with of some pharmacies selling reused masks as well, so people shared a video of how to rip them when disposed. Most people don't even wear them properly but it does feel a lot better walking around with 90% of people wearing masks in order to contain nCoV

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

pretty sure it doesn't matter what china does

if china quarantines seriously, it's a borg-like authoritarianism

if china doesn't quarantine seriously, they aren't taking the pandemic seriously enough and now lets dig into the implied inferior culture on why this may be

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Guys, I know that with Tino and Pevan Stan gone there's a void to be filled, but could we work on that reading comprehension just a little bit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
seems like the response has been effective so far?