Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

eke out posted:

https://twitter.com/woodruffbets/status/1222934260576854017

looks like this just broke, no writeup on the contents yet but the Beast has a 37 minute recording

The timing of this is loving perfect lmaoooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Bad news all around, huh?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Cool so we'll just embolden a criminal president with a sham trial.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Grouchio posted:

Not yet. Wait until tomorrow. Plus acquitting without witnesses is a really bad move on the gop part.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1222937864171925504

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

DIdn't know the Dersh represented her father...

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
e: n/m

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

oxsnard posted:

"hmmmm, i suppose THIS time the two most spineless opportunists in the senate will eventually do the right thing" is a bad null hypothesis to rely on IMO

I'm with you on this. Susan Collins has had so many opportunities to do the right thing and she always chooses party over what is right. I hope to be surprised but I will not hold my breath.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Grouchio posted:

at this point i'm not sure how I'd react to good news.

should...should I pet it?

Magugu
Mar 30, 2013

I came to drink, fight, and f@ck. And im fresh outta beer, so what will it be?

InsertPotPun posted:

No you shake it's face.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

InsertPotPun posted:

Yeah man. I am so used to getting my hopes up and then being poo poo on that I just don't expect good things to happen anymore. Its like the bad guy always wins. Nobody learns a lesson. The underdog loses. The good guy is corrupt. There are no more heroes.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

InsertPotPun posted:

It is scared and cold and it needs your love

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1222946379363950595

lol

i wonder if the big baby is going to get mad and blurt it out or something

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

Another Rand Paul question gets axed. At this point it's probably just racial slurs and " I as Chief Justice declare this trial over, and Trump is super acquitted."

Magugu
Mar 30, 2013

I came to drink, fight, and f@ck. And im fresh outta beer, so what will it be?

eke out posted:

https://twitter.com/woodruffbets/status/1222934260576854017

looks like this just broke, no writeup on the contents yet but the Beast has a 37 minute recording

Has anything else come out about this, cant listen at the moment.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

eke out posted:

i wonder if the big baby is going to get mad and blurt it out or something

i was close

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1222947643342585856

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Magugu posted:

Has anything else come out about this, cant listen at the moment.

nah not that i've seen. i listened to a bit where a Syrian-American lobbying him to stop sending aide money to Syria and instead spend it on deposing Assad, to give you a taste for the kind of things going on

but haven't listened to all of it, not sure if there's parts that touch on Ukraine or relevant issues or not, and not much reporting out yet summarizing

heel turn
Jan 6, 2004

Some boy tried to step to me at the county fair. I said son u clearly have no ideal what creek im from
Ah, yes, you can't impeach the President because it's an election year.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Dameius posted:

Thomas is the least partisan judge on the court. Dude has rulings that are crazy consistent to his stated ideology. It is also true that his ideology is batshit crazy and unique to him. Because of this though, he is one of the most easy judges to predict ruling outcomes on. You probably meant Alito and Gorsuch.

His ideology is hyper conservative, though. His votes are almost always going to in line with what the GOP is looking for.

It's like the running joke here about how an 'independent' voter always votes Republican.

Gross.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

He doesn't have to Trump bootlick to keep his seat in chudfuck Kentucky. He WANTS to do this.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

mcmagic posted:

He doesn't have to Trump bootlick to keep his seat in chudfuck Kentucky. He WANTS to do this.

yeah lol the "libertarian" doesn't care about the argument that there is literally no limit to the Executive's authority to solicit corrupt assistance in reelection

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Tomorrow, Jan. 31st, when the Senate acquits Trump without calling witnesses ... shall henceforth be called "The Day Democracy Died."

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

What does he hope to get out of this? The whistle blower doesn't even matter at this point, we are in the midst of a Senate trial to remove the president.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Popete posted:

What does he hope to get out of this? The whistle blower doesn't even matter at this point, we are in the midst of a Senate trial to remove the president.

it's going to get him on fox news tonight as a hero and directly result in campaign donations

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

VideoGameVet posted:

Tomorrow, Jan. 31st, when the Senate acquits Trump without calling witnesses ... shall henceforth be called "The Day Democracy Died."

Has it ever really been alive?

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Presumably so did your mother, Meghan, and no one's lauding her sacrifice

Edit: refresh before posting, idiot

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

eke out posted:

yeah lol the "libertarian" doesn't care about the argument that there is literally no limit to the Executive's authority to solicit corrupt assistance in reelection

Paulites were always authoritarians.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Popete posted:

Because they desperately want to be able to frame the entire thing as some liberal conspiracy and demonize some person because they did the right thing. IE had the audacity of reporting on their crimes. It is all about using intimidation to discourage other people from doing the same thing.

Rand Paul should be punished in some way for doing it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm pretty sure doxxing a whistleblower is a federal crime. And he did it in front of cameras, not in the chamber, so he can't claim immunity.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

KillHour posted:

I'm pretty sure doxxing a whistleblower is a federal crime. And he did it in front of cameras, not in the chamber, so he can't claim immunity.

this is not how the Speech and Debate Clause jurisprudence works, it's not a limited immunity only in the chamber it's a broad privilege

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Pam Bondi is such a loving dolt.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lol this question is an irrelevant smear of the Bidens so it's Bondi's job

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

eke out posted:

this is not how the Speech and Debate Clause jurisprudence works, it's not a limited immunity only in the chamber it's a broad privilege

So Schumer could leave a SCIF and tell all the top secret classified info to anyone who will listen and it would be totally kosher?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Popete posted:

intimidate the next person thinking about blowing the whistle into keeping silent regarding whatever crimes they have witnessed

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

eke out posted:

lol this question is an irrelevant smear of the Bidens so it's Bondi's job

This post neither identifies the remark in question nor explains why it's irrelevant or a smear.

This thread demands quality posts.

Try harder.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

KillHour posted:

So Schumer could leave a SCIF and tell all the top secret classified info to anyone who will listen and it would be totally kosher?

Yes. That’s basically what happened with the Pentagon Papers.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Our legal system is loving weird.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

KillHour posted:

the crazier you make the hypo the less likely it is to protect them, but yeah, probably, so long as it was clearly in his official capacity as a member of congress

the other issue is i'm pretty sure no federal criminal law exists against naming a whistleblower, the laws are about protecting whistleblowers from retaliation from employers not absolutely shielding their identities.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

A Terrible Person posted:

This post neither identifies the remark in question nor explains why it's irrelevant or a smear.

This thread demands quality posts.

Try harder.

Hi, thanks for your second post in this thread. If you'd refer to the OP, you'd see that rapid-fire TVIV style posting during hearings is allowed here, while reactions without context would not be in USPOL.

I'm sure Pam Bondi appreciates this epic own you've done on her behalf, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Thanks for the lawsplainer. Guess just hating Paul silently will have to suffice.