Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Spazzle posted:

It looks like a laundry list of masturbatory demands, aims to make only 500 units a year , and addresses nothing about why housing is impossible to build. We have dipshits who fight tooth and nail to prevent anything from getting built, why is there the assumption that they will suddenly stand down because we're building affordable housing?

You're being too short sighted.

Look here - this family being evicted because their landlord wants to put in granite counter tops and raise the rent by two grand a month. They do so joyfully because they know only one bougie family will take their place instead of the half dozen or more that would be there if their single family lot were rezoned to allow an apartment.

And here - this abandoned auto parts store behind which they've pitched the tent they now live in. The fact that it is zoned single use commercial and can't be redeveloped to house tech-bros keeps them warm at night.

And this man pan-handling in the intersection trying to get enough cash to buy heroin because the last addiction treatment center in the area was driven out by our allies the NIMBYs in order to preserve the character of the neighborhood. He's doing his part by scaring away the soccer moms and lowing the property values.

People like you are constantly griping about "homeless people" and their "suffering." But when you realize that they're just fellow comrades doing their part to stick it to the man, it becomes much easier to ignore them and concentrate to important things like getting density rates lowered and preventing that drive through Starbucks on my way into work being turned into apartments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

You guys sure like talking past each other to prove you're more woke

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I saw the "Protect Prop 13" table at Target and there was people stacked 2 deep signing the petition. Bleeeeergh

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You guys sure like talking past each other to prove you're more woke

Basically yes.

The motivation to every California housing debate is NIMBYs and YIMBYs calling each other naive tools of capital. Housing is beside the point.

The real solution will probably end up being something like development coupled with rent control, vacancy taxes, and land banks but I don't think we're going to get progressives all lined up that way any time soon. Especially since everyone is so locked into that painfully CA Democratic Party style incremental improvement model of progress.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

nrook posted:

This is pretty clearly great news for the country! The more people are forced out of California by rising housing prices, the better Democrats will do in Senate and presidential elections in other states. Thanks to the people of California for making this sacrifice on behalf of our nation.

inshallah

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Weembles posted:

The motivation to every California housing debate is NIMBYs and YIMBYs calling each other naive tools of capital. Housing is beside the point.

NIMBYs are basically universally capitalists. The real divide is between people who want affordable housing and people who want public housing. Calling either side NIMBYs is just using it as a pejorative in total defiance of its actual meaning.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Watching someone desperately try to yell at single-family housing defenders in a thread full of leftists who want to bulldoze them and build high rises is certainly something.

Literally all the people who oppose SB50 do so because we don't think it goes nearly far enough and will probably prevent a better bill from being passed but these are some hot sarcastic takes that need to be laid out.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
any sort of housing policy you might want is going to necessarily have to include overriding local single-family detached housing zoning restrictions

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

yes but doing only that isnt going to prevent housing prices and rents from skyrocketing ever upward

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Jaxyon posted:

Watching someone desperately try to yell at single-family housing defenders in a thread full of leftists who want to bulldoze them and build high rises is certainly something.

Literally all the people who oppose SB50 do so because we don't think it goes nearly far enough and will probably prevent a better bill from being passed but these are some hot sarcastic takes that need to be laid out.

I mean, you're right. There are only one or two NIMBYs in the thread, and you can tell because they actually do talk like NIMBYs, complaining about tiny apartments and increased traffic. But opposing SB50 because it doesn't go far enough is just accelerationism. It's a way to sacrifice benefits that could be made today for the sake of imagined benefits tomorrow. Compromise is ugly and aesthetically unappealing, so it's always going to be unpopular among people who follow state and national politics (that is, with hobbyists), but that doesn't mean it's wrong.

Would a state-level public housing initiative help alleviate the housing crisis? Well, yeah. So I'll support that when it comes up too.

e: I think a lot of the opposition to SB50 among leftists also comes down to Wiener personally, who IIRC has a history of supporting cruel policies against the homeless when he was a municipal politician.

nrook fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 30, 2020

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Because we allowed companies to pollute and not remediate there is ample land near public transit that needs to be remediated and can be developed without displacing existing homes.

But as long as the discussion is developer-centric those projects are impossible because the neighborhoods are too poor and minority and the projects too expensive since community accrues value from removing polluted lands.

So instead we must focus on the communities that are already heavily invested in and have less need, since that makes the project far more appealing for developers.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

nrook posted:

I mean, you're right. There are only one or two NIMBYs in the thread, and you can tell because they actually do talk like NIMBYs, complaining about tiny apartments and increased traffic. But opposing SB50 because it doesn't go far enough is just accelerationism. It's a way to sacrifice benefits that could be made today for the sake of imagined benefits tomorrow. Compromise is ugly and aesthetically unappealing, so it's always going to be unpopular among people who follow state and national politics (that is, with hobbyists), but that doesn't mean it's wrong.

Would a state-level public housing initiative help alleviate the housing crisis? Well, yeah. So I'll support that when it comes up too.

e: I think a lot of the opposition to SB50 among leftists also comes down to Wiener personally, who IIRC has a history of supporting cruel policies against the homeless when he was a municipal politician.

The opposition to SB50 is, over and over, that it's designed to please people who largely will not be getting displaced when it doesn't do much and you are unable to afford your apartment.

What does SB50 do to actually get developers to build?

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

any sort of housing policy you might want is going to necessarily have to include overriding local single-family detached housing zoning restrictions

Yes fine, and make sure you start in the rich neighborhoods please.

SB50 is not going to get this going in earnest.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Weembles posted:

Basically yes.

The real solution will probably end up being something like development coupled with rent control, vacancy taxes, and land banks but I don't think we're going to get progressives all lined up that way any time soon. Especially since everyone is so locked into that painfully CA Democratic Party style incremental improvement model of progress.

I'm a fan of Moms4Housing style occupations to force the issue, but unfortunately they'd rather send in the literal goddamn takes than let the conversation escape the bounds of the painful CA Democratic Party style incremental improvement model of progress.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
[url] https://twitter.com/aceckhouse/status/1222749067635130368?s=21[/url]

So glad we have so many brave revolutionary comrades in the legislature fighting capitalism ✊.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

What does SB50 do to actually get developers to build?

Ah, I'm happy to explain. SB50 makes it easier to build new multifamily homes by expanding access to the streamlined approval process introduced by SB 35. It's expensive when development projects are delayed, so access to a faster approval process makes more prospective projects profitable. Since developers are in business to make money, this will lead them to pursue more projects.

It also allows developers to ignore density controls and follow lower-than-average parking requirements if they are building in a jobs-rich or transit-rich area. (Jobs-rich means just what it sounds like; the area must have a lot of jobs available, as determined by the Department of Housing and Community Development. Transit-rich means it's within 0.5 miles of a major transit stop, or a 0.25 miles away from a 10-minute-or-more-frequent bus route.) If an apartment building has more apartments, its owner can rent or sell them to more people, allowing them to make more money. Of course, bigger apartment buildings are also more expensive to build, but in many areas the sweet spot will be above the maximum density allowed by local zoning rules. As such, again, more projects will be profitable, making developers more inclined to pursue them.

There is a condition in the law that this expedited approval doesn't apply if the owner of an existing building has kicked tenants out recently. However, I think it only applies to tenants who have been kicked out in a specific way, and I'm not sure exactly when it applies.

The full text of the bill is available online, if you want more details. I'm not a lawyer or an expert in this area, so I may have made some mistakes; if so, I'd be happy to be corrected.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

nrook posted:

Ah, I'm happy to explain. SB50 makes it easier to build new multifamily homes by expanding access to the streamlined approval process introduced by SB 35. It's expensive when development projects are delayed, so access to a faster approval process makes more prospective projects profitable. Since developers are in business to make money, this will lead them to pursue more projects.

It also allows developers to ignore density controls and follow lower-than-average parking requirements if they are building in a jobs-rich or transit-rich area. (Jobs-rich means just what it sounds like; the area must have a lot of jobs available, as determined by the Department of Housing and Community Development. Transit-rich means it's within 0.5 miles of a major transit stop, or a 0.25 miles away from a 10-minute-or-more-frequent bus route.) If an apartment building has more apartments, its owner can rent or sell them to more people, allowing them to make more money. Of course, bigger apartment buildings are also more expensive to build, but in many areas the sweet spot will be above the maximum density allowed by local zoning rules. As such, again, more projects will be profitable, making developers more inclined to pursue them.

There is a condition in the law that this expedited approval doesn't apply if the owner of an existing building has kicked tenants out recently. However, I think it only applies to tenants who have been kicked out in a specific way, and I'm not sure exactly when it applies.

The full text of the bill is available online, if you want more details. I'm not a lawyer or an expert in this area, so I may have made some mistakes; if so, I'd be happy to be corrected.

Thank you for your thoughts. I'm aware of what SB50 claims to do. LA is full of structures getting built by passing normal approval processes and rent is so high in LA that making money is virtually guaranteed. Downtown is a crane showroom, K-town has about 30 active projects and there are all sorts of developments going up along the various light rail tracks under JJJ.

The issue is they're not building enough, or fast enough, and most of what's getting built is driving up rents and displacing the people who are already struggling.

That's why the groups that actually work with gettting affordable housing along transit don't support the bill.

https://medium.com/@ACTLA/the-road-to-getting-sb-50-right-and-why-we-are-currently-opposing-the-bill-ee2680f4b2b2

More detailed letter they sent last year:
http://allianceforcommunitytransit.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/SB-50-Significant-Concerns.pdf

Signatories:
http://allianceforcommunitytransit.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/SB-50-Concerned-Organizations.pdf

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Jaxyon posted:

Lmao no, this is farcically untrue. The vast majority of opposition the things like SB50 come from wealthy homeowners who don’t want their property value diminished. Left NIMBYs are at most useful idiots for them.
If you mean in the sense of this thread, someone told me to go live in Hong Kong when I suggested that sprawling suburban homes near transit were a bad idea.

FRINGE posted:

Depending on whose numbers youre using that means "available for sale" not "actually unoccupied".

Thats the problem Im trying to get across to you. "The market" doesnt count a house as empty if its empty but owned. All of the empty investment properties are "not vacant" in that sense.

Lol ok no, you have no idea what you’re talking about. The vancancy rate numbers I got were from the census bureau ACS, and they do in fact count places that are owned but unoccupied as vacant. If anything it’s a metric that overcounts vacant units, because even places that are just between occupants for a month are counted as “vacant” if they happen to be in that status when the ACS is taken. And still the vacancy rate in LA is at just 4%.

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 30, 2020

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

nrook posted:

It also allows developers to ignore density controls and follow lower-than-average parking requirements if they are building in a jobs-rich or transit-rich area. (Jobs-rich means just what it sounds like; the area must have a lot of jobs available, as determined by the Department of Housing and Community Development.

which, last time i saw, within mountain view there were over 3 jobs for every dwelling there

that's what they meant when sb50 was reported on as "targeting transit-adjacent areas and wealthy neighborhoods"

:rip:

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
I mean, if you want to cut through the bullshit about what opposition to this bill is really about, look at who voted against it. 9/10 of the senators in areas where homeowners benefit the most from prop 13 were against it. This was about protecting property owners, because they vote. Everything else is a smoke screen honestly.

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 30, 2020

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

Thank you for your thoughts. I'm aware of what SB50 claims to do. LA is full of structures getting built by passing normal approval processes and rent is so high in LA that making money is virtually guaranteed. Downtown is a crane showroom, K-town has about 30 active projects and there are all sorts of developments going up along the various light rail tracks under JJJ.

The issue is they're not building enough, or fast enough, and most of what's getting built is driving up rents and displacing the people who are already struggling.

That's why the groups that actually work with gettting affordable housing along transit don't support the bill.

https://medium.com/@ACTLA/the-road-to-getting-sb-50-right-and-why-we-are-currently-opposing-the-bill-ee2680f4b2b2

More detailed letter they sent last year:
http://allianceforcommunitytransit.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/SB-50-Significant-Concerns.pdf

Signatories:
http://allianceforcommunitytransit.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/SB-50-Concerned-Organizations.pdf

No worries. I actually hadn't seen the detailed letter (though I did read the Medium article), so thank you for linking it.

I suppose time will tell who is right. If the housing crisis becomes less severe over the next five years without significant zoning reform, I'll be happy to admit nothing like SB50 was necessary. If you're involved in local public housing initiatives in LA, I wish you luck.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Kill Bristol posted:

Lmao no, this is farcically untrue. The vast majority of opposition the things like SB50 come from wealthy homeowners who don’t want their property value diminished. Left NIMBYs are at most useful idiots for them.
If you mean in the sense of this thread, someone told me to go live in Hong Kong when I suggested that sprawling suburban homes near transit were a bad idea.

In this thread. None of the people you're arguing against right now are NIMBY's and none of them are making NIMBY arguments.

Keep on knocking down those all those NIMBY's in here, I'm sure you'll find them!

Kill Bristol posted:

I mean, if you want to cut through the bullshit about what opposition to this bill is really about, look at who voted against it. 9/10 of the senators in areas where homeowners benefit the most from prop 13 were against it. This was about protecting property owners, because they vote. Everything else is a smoke screen honestly.

Smoke screens:
code:
Alliance for Community Transit - Los Angeles
Asian Pacific Islander Forward Movement
Asian Pacific Policy and Planning Council
Bend the Arc: Jewish Action of Southern California
CA Rural Legal Assistance Foundation
California Environmental Justice Alliance
California Reinvestment Coalition
Central Coast Alliance United for a Sustainable Economy
Chinatown Community Development Center
Coalition for Responsible Community Development
Community Development Technologies
East Bay Housing Organizations
East LA Community Corporation
Esperanza Community Housing Corporation
Housing California
Housing Long Beach
Inner City Law Center
InnerCity Struggle
Inquilinos Unidos
Investing in Place
Jobs to Move America
KIWA (Koreatown Immigrant Workers Alliance)
LA Forward
LA Voice
Leadership Counsel for Justice and Accountability
Legacy LA Youth Development Corporation
Legal Services for Prisoners with Children
Little Tokyo Service Center
Los Angeles Black Worker Center
Move LA
Orange County Communities Organized for Responsible Development
Organize Sacramento
People for Mobility Justice
Physicians for Social Responsibility-Los Angeles
Pilipino Workers Center
PolicyLink
Public Advocates
Public Counsel
Public Interest Law Project
Rural Community Assistance Corp.
SAJE (Strategic Actions for a Just Economy)
Social Justice Learning Institute
Southeast Asian Community Alliance
Southern California Association of Non-Profit Housing
St. John’s Well Child & Family Center
Strategic Concepts in Organizing and Policy Education
T.R.U.S.T. South LA
Thai Community Development Center
The Greenlining Institute
United Neighbors in Defense Against Displacement
Venice Community Housing
West Angeles Community Development Corporation
Western Center on Law and Poverty
Willowbrook Inclusion Network
Women Organizing Resources, Knowledge and Services
That's the richest people in California right there

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Meanwhile, San Luis Obispo effortlessly slides in under the 50,000 population limit :cool:

:(

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

nrook posted:

No worries. I actually hadn't seen the detailed letter (though I did read the Medium article), so thank you for linking it.

I suppose time will tell who is right. If the housing crisis becomes less severe over the next five years without significant zoning reform, I'll be happy to admit nothing like SB50 was necessary. If you're involved in local public housing initiatives in LA, I wish you luck.

Over that time, a bunch of people who were barely scraping by will become homeless so a Google employee can live near the Expo line.

And instead of working with the groups that actually are trying to get people housed, a bunch of online liberals will have called everyone who had problems with SB50 a NIMBY to shut them up.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

man, i wish some of those state senators posted in this thread, that'd be really convenient

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Jaxyon posted:

Over that time, a bunch of people who were barely scraping by will become homeless so a Google employee can live near the Expo line.

And instead of working with the groups that actually are trying to get people housed, a bunch of online liberals will have called everyone who had problems with SB50 a NIMBY to shut them up.

You act as if the status quo isn't going to do the exact same thing, except with lower heights and more space for parking right next to a subway stop

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 30, 2020

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
No but you see there’s a chance someone could have made money off of new apartments, which would be evil capitalism. That’s why only neoliberal sellout organizations like United Farm Workers supported SB50 while real activists like Livable California and the AIDS healthcare foundation opposed it.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

The Glumslinger posted:

You act as if the status quo isn't going to do the exact same thing, except with lower heights and more space for parking right next to a subway stop

Luckily, there's more options than "SB50 as it currently stands" and "do nothing".

Kill Bristol posted:

No but you see there’s a chance someone could have made money off of new apartments, which would be evil capitalism. That’s why only neoliberal sellout organizations like United Farm Workers supported SB50 while real activists like Livable California and the AIDS healthcare foundation opposed it.

You want to engage with anything but strawmen? Are we all NIMBY's who are protecting our property values or out of touch leftists who irrationally hate development?

If you want to play that game Legal Services for Prisoners with Children sounds like a lot of out of touch ivory tower types to me!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Jaxyon posted:

Luckily, there's more options than "SB50 as it currently stands" and "do nothing".

Are there? Like I'm not trying to be a jackass, but are there any other bills in the state legislature that come anywhere near the scope and scale of the problem? The other bill posted up thread sounds absolutely puny compared to the size of the issue

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
That’s not a straw man, that’s literally the argument being made ITT. When I said suburban detached homes near transit were bad someone suggested overthrowing capitalism instead of building apartments near trains.

Like ok, what’s the viable path instead of upzoning? That can actually be done in a way that will be reflected in my rent check sometime in the next decade, not a plan that begins with“First, the revolution”?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

The Glumslinger posted:

Are there? Like I'm not trying to be a jackass, but are there any other bills in the state legislature that come anywhere near the scope and scale of the problem? The other bill posted up thread sounds absolutely puny compared to the size of the issue

I'm not sure. If it dies again probably someone will write a better bill. What's keeping it alive now is people is hoping that passing something, anything, may help, without trying to pass something that is designed to help. I don't think any of the housing advocate groups opposing SB 50 think they're going to get their dream bill passed, nobody with any experience in Sacramento thinks that. They just don't think that this will do much at all, because it's mostly just making lives easier for market rate housing developers and hoping that trickles down.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Kill Bristol posted:

That’s not a straw man, that’s literally the argument being made ITT. When I said suburban detached homes near transit were bad someone suggested overthrowing capitalism instead of building apartments near trains.

Quote it.

Also there's one idiot in every thread, I don't care if one person is incredibly wrong and posting here. Dead Reckoning posts in this thread.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Jaxyon posted:

I'm not sure. If it dies again probably someone will write a better bill. What's keeping it alive now is people is hoping that passing something, anything, may help, without trying to pass something that is designed to help. I don't think any of the housing advocate groups opposing SB 50 think they're going to get their dream bill passed, nobody with any experience in Sacramento thinks that. They just don't think that this will do much at all, because it's mostly just making lives easier for market rate housing developers and hoping that trickles down.

Have you actually looked at the changes that were made to SB50 this time around? They made a large number of changes to try to help with these issues, increasing the mandatory % of low income housing in units built under it and mandating that more of those units be set aside for people who had recently living in the neighborhood.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

The Glumslinger posted:

Have you actually looked at the changes that were made to SB50 this time around? They made a large number of changes to try to help with these issues, increasing the mandatory % of low income housing in units built under it and mandating that more of those units be set aside for people who had recently living in the neighborhood.

All the housing groups I mentioned it still oppose it because it doesn't do enough to guarantee affordable housing and prevent displacement.

The article I posted earlier was written after those changes were made. I agree it slightly outdates the letter from last years version.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

All the housing groups I mentioned it still oppose it because it doesn't do enough to guarantee affordable housing and prevent displacement.

The article I posted earlier was written after those changes were made. I agree it slightly outdates the letter from last years version.

What would a bill have to do to be enough?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

The Glumslinger posted:

there were also demolition protections for existing affordable housing and a timeline to give local governments the opportunity to supersede sb50 with more expansive changes if they didn't already exist

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Weembles posted:

What would a bill have to do to be enough?

At a minimum, reform Ellis Act or repeal Costa Hawkins. That's what Medium opinion piece above advocates.

As it stands, everyone is just hoping SB50 maybe someday fixes some our housing problem, and if your housing status in vulnerable, sorry maybe we'll get to you next legislative session.

But what do dozens of affordable housing advocates know?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I really don't think "everyone" is just assuming that we pass SB50 and now the housing crisis is solved, wipe hands on pants and move on.

Actually I don't think anyone is assuming that.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Jaxyon posted:

At a minimum, reform Ellis Act or repeal Costa Hawkins. That's what Medium opinion piece above advocates.

As it stands, everyone is just hoping SB50 maybe someday fixes some our housing problem, and if your housing status in vulnerable, sorry maybe we'll get to you next legislative session.

We had a ballot initiative in 2018 to repeal Costa-Hawkins and it lost badly, 38%-62%. It seems highly unlikely that it will get repealed in the new near future

I posted this when the current revisions were announced, which of these are not high enough to help communities? Like, we need to fix the issues of not having enough housing available and we need to upzone near transit to reduce carbon pollution. Which parts of this should be changed to make this more useful to communities?

quote:

https://twitter.com/sfchronicle/status/1214414547215376384

quote:

SACRAMENTO — Seeking to revive a fiercely fought bill that would boost construction of apartment buildings and condominiums, state Sen. Scott Wiener introduced changes Monday designed to disarm cities’ objections that the measure would remove their control over neighborhood character.

Wiener’s amendments would allow cities to opt out of certain provisions of SB50, his measure to increase housing around public transit and in wealthy suburbs, if they develop their own plans to build as many homes as the law would require. The changes would increase cities’ ability to keep some multi-unit housing out of neighborhoods that now consist of single-family homes.

But the key provisions of the bill remain intact: It would raise height limits around transit lines, allow denser development in high-income areas, and effectively open up the entire state to multifamily housing.

quote:

Under the bill, local governments in counties with more than 600,000 people could not block residential buildings of at least four or five stories within half a mile of rail stations and ferry terminals, provided those projects meet other local design standards. In the Bay Area, San Francisco, Alameda, Contra Costa, Santa Clara and San Mateo counties meet that population threshold.

The measure would also remove density limits and reduce parking requirements within a quarter-mile of stops on bus lines with frequent service and in high-income census tracts with lots of jobs and good schools, regardless of their proximity to transit.

In smaller counties, including Marin, Sonoma, Solano and Napa, cities with more than 50,000 people would have to allow up to 15 extra feet of height for buildings within a half-mile of transit stops.

The changes that Wiener unveiled Monday would delay the start of the law until 2023, giving cities two extra years to come up with alternative plans that could accommodate the amount of new housing that SB50 would require. Those that did not would fall under the measure.

Wiener said he adjusted the bill after hearing from local officials who wanted more flexibility to build denser is some parts of their communities than others. But he said any plans they come up with would still have to meet SB50’s climate and fair-housing goals, and be subject to approval by the state housing department. That means they would have to meet targets for reducing car use and could not disproportionately push the new housing into low-income neighborhoods.

quote:

Wiener’s bill has raised fears among affordable-housing and community groups that a building spree could drive vulnerable Californians out of their homes by speeding up gentrification.

The measure gives what Wiener called sensitive communities five years to come up with neighborhood plans that combine the development requirements with anti-displacement protections.

New apartment buildings and condominiums approved under the relaxed standards of SB50 would have to set aside 15% to 25% of their units for low-income families. In a change intended to keep poor residents from being forced out of their neighborhoods, people previously living within a half-mile of new developments would get priority for almost half of those low-income units.

Nearly everywhere in the state would be opened to multifamily housing through a streamlined process to convert vacant plots and existing homes in residential areas to apartment buildings of up to four units. That would essentially eliminate single-family zoning in California, except in small coastal communities and areas at high risk of fire.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Jaxyon posted:

the vulnerable housing status of... occupants of single-family detached homes in highly desirable areas? what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

Are affordable housing advocates saying that we need to reform the Ellis Act and repeal Costa Hawkins, or are they saying that we cannot do anything at all until we do so?

Personally, I've heard a lot of one and none of the other, but you follow this issue more closely than I do.