Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Scooter_McCabe posted:

Romney is a piece of poo poo and believes in magic underwear.

The magic underwear is like 974th on the list of reasons he's a piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I really can't get over how hard they're leaning into this whole `figuring out motives is tricky, therefore it's literally impossible for the President to commit an impeachable offence' thing.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Maby McSweeney will publish this tomorrow when Trump is acquitted. Probably they won't.

So here's my angry bit of creative writing.

(To American Pie)

American Lie (The Day Democracy Died)

A long, long time ago...

I can still remember

How democracy used to make me smile
And I knew if we had a choice

Then we could make our nation rejoice

And, maybe, we’d be happy for a while
But January made me shiver

With every vote that Mitch delivered

Bad news from the trial;

I couldn’t take one more liar
I can’t remember if I cried

When I heard about Trump’s endless bribes
But something touched me deep inside

The day our democracy died

[Chorus]
So bye-bye, you American Lie
Took an Uber to the Starbucks,
but the Starbucks was dry
And them Senate boys were talking bullshit 'n lies

Singing, "This’ll be the day democracy dies”

"This’ll be the day democracy dies"

[Verse 2]
Did you tweet another meme
And did you have faith in the rule of men

If the Constitution told you so?
Do you believe in fair elections
Can due process save our mortal soul

And will the march to fascism begin to slow?
Well, I know that Trump’s in love with power

`Cause I watched him tweeting every hour

Trump's Nazis kicking who they choose

Man, they dig those black and blues
I was an idealistic progressive man
With a Drump Trump Hat and a minivan
But I knew I was out of luck

I started singing

[Chorus]

[Verse 3]
Now for three years, we’ve been on our own
After hacked emails flowed forth from Roger Stone

But that’s not how it used to be
When the news told truth to you and me

Like they did in Nineteen Seventy-Three

With a voice that came from all networks you see
Oh, and while Pelosi was showing a serious frown

The pussy grabber dressed with a MAGA crown
The Senate was adjourned;

An acquittal was returned
And while Bolton published a book on Trump

The Senate put it in the dump
And we smoked doobies in the dark
We were singing

[Chorus]

(Too Painful To Continue This)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

VideoGameVet posted:

Maby McSweeney will publish this tomorrow when Trump is acquitted. Probably they won't.

So here's my angry bit of creative writing.

(To American Pie)

American Lie (The Day Democracy Died)

A long, long time ago...

I can still remember

How democracy used to make me smile
And I knew if we had a choice

Then we could make our nation rejoice

And, maybe, we’d be happy for a while
But January made me shiver

With every vote that Mitch delivered

Bad news from the trial;

I couldn’t take one more liar
I can’t remember if I cried

When I heard about Trump’s endless bribes
But something touched me deep inside

[Chorus]

[Verse 2]
Did you tweet another meme
And did you have faith in the rule of men

If the Constitution told you so?
Do you believe in fair elections
Can due process save our mortal soul

And will the march to fascism begin to slow?
Well, I know that Trump’s in love with power

`Cause I watched him tweeting every hour

Trump's Nazis kicking who they choose

Man, they dig those black and blues
I was an idealistic progressive man
With a Drump Trump Hat and a minivan
But I knew I was out of luck

I started singing

[Chorus]

[Verse 3]
Now for three years, we’ve been on our own
After hacked emails flowed forth from Roger Stone

But that’s not how it used to be
When the news told truth to you and me

Like they did in Nineteen Seventy-Three

With a voice that came from all networks you see
Oh, and while Pelosi was showing a serious frown

The pussy grabber dressed with a MAGA crown
The Senate was adjourned;

An acquittal was returned
And while Bolton published a book on Trump

The Senate put it in the dump
And we smoked doobies in the dark
We were singing

[Chorus]

(Too Painful To Continue This)
:same:

SubG posted:

I really can't get over how hard they're leaning into this whole `figuring out motives is tricky, therefore it's literally impossible for the President to commit an impeachable offence' thing.

its because its all these ghouls got because a guy who rapes kids doesnt care.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1222995017561710593

seems like another reasonably smart gambit, since there's nothing to lose on our end

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

also

https://twitter.com/AndrewDesiderio/status/1222991294492028933
https://twitter.com/AndrewDesiderio/status/1222994252428455940

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

i dont know why everyone is spiralling. we all knew this could happen and he was gonna get acquitted either way. alot of GOP senators are loving themselves hard if they do this and alot of them are already under water.

also this.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
This is just Rand's question again LOL

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

mcmagic posted:

This is just Rand's question again LOL

is it from rand?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

is it from rand?

Nope. From Ron Johnson and a bunch of other dipshits.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i dont know why everyone is spiralling. we all knew this could happen and he was gonna get acquitted either way. alot of GOP senators are loving themselves hard if they do this and alot of them are already under water.

also this.

It's amazing how absolutely garbage any of the defense's arguments are

Just complete nonsensical trash or blatant contradictions, not even trying

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

so if I'm reading this right, Dershowitz argued that things that are beneficial to a president's re-election campaign aren't impeachable if they also happen to be foreign policy, and Philbin countered with saying the things in question weren't foreign policy? :lol:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Every question from Cruz so far as been the verbal equivalent of a corkboard full of yarn lines.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

TulliusCicero posted:

It's amazing how absolutely garbage any of the defense's arguments are

Just complete nonsensical trash or blatant contradictions, not even trying

They know the fix is in and it doesn't matter. They're just running out the clock.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

oldskool posted:

so if I'm reading this right, Dershowitz argued that things that are beneficial to a president's re-election campaign aren't impeachable if they also happen to be foreign policy, and Philbin countered with saying the things in question weren't foreign policy? :lol:

That's what I'm saying. Is the defense even coordinating their arguments?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

This fucker thinks that outing the whistelblower so that some chuds will hopefully kill him is "not" retaliation.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

There really should be more pushback against the implication that it even loving matters what motivations or conflicts the whistleblower might have had.

If someone pulls a fire alarm, the question is whether or not there is in fact a fire. If you find a fire (or credible evidence of one) it doesn't loving matter if the person who pulled the fire alarm had other motives for doing so. Their opinions on the fire, alarms, or the building on fire aren't really relevant. Our reason for installing fire alarms has absolutely nothing to do with these questions, all we care about is whether or not there's a fire.

In the case of the whistleblower it makes sense that the IG would review potential biases in evaluating whether the report is credible when it's first received, but we're waaaaaay the gently caress past worrying about whether or not the report is credible and there's no conceivable way in which the identity of the whisleblower is germane to where we are now.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Nope. From Ron Johnson and a bunch of other dipshits.

gently caress Johnson. He's one of my senators, so I was listening to his town-hall conference call this morning. He said he'd not bring in witnesses because it would draw out the process and he didn't believe we should even be having a trial. That's when I started throwing poo poo. It was only 5 minutes into the call, too.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mcmagic posted:

Manchin and Collins will both vote for witnesses and also to acquit. IDK why you think Toomey is getable....

I don't. I'm asking who you think the swing vote is.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

I don't. I'm asking who you think the swing vote is.

It looks like it's Murkowski to get to 50-50....

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

SubG posted:

There really should be more pushback against the implication that it even loving matters what motivations or conflicts the whistleblower might have had.

If someone pulls a fire alarm, the question is whether or not there is in fact a fire. If you find a fire (or credible evidence of one) it doesn't loving matter if the person who pulled the fire alarm had other motives for doing so. Their opinions on the fire, alarms, or the building on fire aren't really relevant. Our reason for installing fire alarms has absolutely nothing to do with these questions, all we care about is whether or not there's a fire.

In the case of the whistleblower it makes sense that the IG would review potential biases in evaluating whether the report is credible when it's first received, but we're waaaaaay the gently caress past worrying about whether or not the report is credible and there's no conceivable way in which the identity of the whisleblower is germane to where we are now.

We know this already and it's no point stressing it, if you stress it, they just say "we have to know because our accusation on you is that this was a planned partisan conspiracy and we want to know YOUR motives." It's just a silly reversal that will just keep looping back and forth.

Their bigger flaw is not pushing "the President solicited a public ANNOUNCEMENT on a political opponent" as opposed to "solicited dirt." They're falling into a framing trap by not keeping the focus on it being about Trump wanting to broadcast negatives from a foreign country, and the followup questions on "why was that specific thing what Trump wanted instead of an actual investigation?"

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Trump bootlicker wants people to stop assuming he has horrible motives LOL

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Good response from Lofgren. It's encouraging to get not just a straight, but coherent, succinct, and - in my opinion - persuasive answer to a direct challenge.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

Trump bootlicker wants people to stop assuming he has horrible motives LOL

We can use other words like disgusting or vile if that will make him feel better.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Romney isn’t as bulletproof in Utah as you guys think he is. I live in Utah and Utah Republicans (mormon and non-mormon) LOVE Trump way more than they love Romney and complain all the time about Romney’s issue with him and they’d gladly replace him when the time comes with some better option.

There are a few mormon Democrats too (I’m one)

He’s also a coward. At the end of the day he’ll stick with the party because he wants to keep his seat.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
Is it silly for me to look to Todd Young as my bellweather? Staunchly christian (pricipled?) not-entirely-chuddy base, tea party libertarian leaning in origin, likely friendly to Pence (hoosiers all).

Two weeks ago, his campaign stated

quote:

“The far-left has been desperate to get rid of President Trump since day one, and that has been made abundantly clear throughout this process. Now that the articles are being delivered and a trial will be held in the Senate, I will uphold my duty as an impeachment juror and carefully evaluate the legal arguments. I hope this process can be completed quickly so we can get back to the business of Hoosiers and all Americans.”

He's done the 'I'm a juror and jurors aren't supposed to talk' thing through most of the process - which is definitely less than Trump was hoping to get out of a senator like this.

As my bellweather, I don't see much hope for actual conviction (duh). And I don't follow the senate nearly as closely as many of y'all. Is this utter foolishness, or is there some sense here?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Cipollone arguing that because Trump cooperated with a previous investigation he can't have obstructed this one.

Note: Trump didn't cooperate with the other investigation.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

I find it extremely vexing when questions are posed to the side that clearly isn't the one that should be answering it. Unsurprisingly, of course, this mainly seems to happen when Republicans direct questions at the White House counsel. If you're honestly wondering whether the House managers' standard for impeachment would've sufficed to impeach Obama and/or Bush, ask the flippin' House managers.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Uh, and they're doing that thing right now. The question says ANNOUNCEMENT and the Republicans defend INVESTIGATION. It's such an annoying trick and hopefully the House response stresses it since they go second.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

GutBomb posted:

Romney isn’t as bulletproof in Utah as you guys think he is. I live in Utah and Utah Republicans (mormon and non-mormon) LOVE Trump way more than they love Romney and complain all the time about Romney’s issue with him and they’d gladly replace him when the time comes with some better option.

There are a few mormon Democrats too (I’m one)

He’s also a coward. At the end of the day he’ll stick with the party because he wants to keep his seat.
Romney's not up again until 2024. Absolutely nothing he does now will matter at all for his re-election.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Sekulow: “loving warrants, how do they work?”

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

lol at Roberts' expression after reading out that question.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Holy poo poo this question from Warren.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

SubG posted:

Holy poo poo this question from Warren.

What was it?

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Missed the first bit, but per CNN: "Does the fact that the Chief Justice is presiding over a trial without witnesses diminish trust in the Chief Justice or the Supreme Court?"

edit: and Roberts' face was the Platonic ideal of "welp".

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Warren's question was amazing, I burst out laughing when Roberts read it

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

Sombrerotron posted:

Missed the first bit, but per CNN: "Does the fact that the Chief Justice is presiding over a trial without witnesses diminish trust in the Chief Justice or the Supreme Court?"

edit: and Roberts' face was the Platonic ideal of "welp".

That was real snarky, I loved it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Anything that diminishes the trust in Roberts or the court is great in my book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Anything that diminishes the trust in Roberts or the court is great in my book.

Good thing we’ve got an impeachment trial to lay it out then.