Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Elusive beatdown decks are the decks that arise in every CCG that are cheap and easy to build, relatively straightforward to play and fast/potent enough to beat up on unoptimised nonsense. They aren't uncounterable, they aren't dominating at the pointy end of the ladder, there's no reason to think they need an urgent change or that a new deck won't come along tomorrow and become the flavour of the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
My main complaint about elusives is it forces every deck to have -some- form of anti-elusive or you just lose from being whittled down slowly or in the case of handbuffed elusives, very very quickly.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
That wouldnt be a problem. But what you're saying is a dramatic understatement, your deck needs to be geared entirely towards beating elusives to have a chance at beating them.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
That in turn is a dramatic overstatement. Check out the first deck to reach Master in Asia:

https://decksofruneterra.com/decks/ivoexBeI

Is that specifically tuned to beat elusives? Or do you think they didn't notice elusives are good over there?

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Just beat the new SI / Noxus First to master EU deck thrice with the Noxus / Ionia aggro deck posted on last page.

Buller fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 30, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I mean, yes? what do you think the six buffed up elusives are for? (tbf buffed up elusives are always good)

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 30, 2020

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

King Pawn posted:

That in turn is a dramatic overstatement. Check out the first deck to reach Master in Asia:

https://decksofruneterra.com/decks/ivoexBeI

Is that specifically tuned to beat elusives? Or do you think they didn't notice elusives are good over there?

6 Elusive blockers, lots of lifesteal and frostbite to stall the elusives because you cant block them most of the time.
Yes its made to counter elusives.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

what about the other one thats just a darius spider beatdown deck?

like elusives just dont deal with high aggro, theyre not that bad really.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Oh I didn't realise "specifically geared to beat elusives" meant "contains any form of interaction with elusives". Yes I suppose if you can't race them, or block them, or force combat with them using Challenger, or kill them with spells then you might struggle. Weird!

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

The thing I noticed while playing elusives myself was that they do take a few rounds to get going since you need to cycle the recall ninja/mentors to get your hand buffs online and it's very, very punishable if you have cards that an elusive deck does not want to have to block before they get enough mana to come online. It's a fast deck but it's NOT a round four kill deck the way Noxus can be. SI's Cursed Keepers, Sharks, Butchers, and Unliving dudes can also gently caress an elusive deck up BADLY if you get any of them online in the first 3 rounds.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 30, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

King Pawn posted:

Oh I didn't realise "specifically geared to beat elusives" meant "contains any form of interaction with elusives". Yes I suppose if you can't race them, or block them, or force combat with them using Challenger, or kill them with spells then you might struggle. Weird!
how many days have you played this game? I know you generally compete at these sorts of games seriously so you'll see what the good decks are soon enough.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 30, 2020

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

either that deck shows that control just beats elusives, or elusives are so easily countered that you can quickly put together a deck that will carry you into masters crushing them. i think in either case it means elusives probably arent as big of an issue as some people are saying.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Just don't play constructed ever :clint:

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
It's already a week in and goons are already tripping over themselves to flaunt their digital card game cred and flex at how good they are

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

mistaya posted:

The thing I noticed while playing elusives myself was that they do take a few rounds to get going since you need to cycle the recall ninja/mentors to get your hand buffs online and it's very, very punishable if you have cards that an elusive deck does not want to have to block before they get enough mana to come online. It's a fast deck but it's NOT a round four kill deck the way Noxus can be. SI's Cursed Keepers, Sharks, Butchers, and Unliving dudes can also gently caress an elusive deck up BADLY if you get any of them online in the first 3 rounds.

its fun playing shark decks with a couple of darkwater scourges into elusives. and deathmarking shadow fiends.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The main thing that probably is too good (and is most noticable on elusives) is anything that permanently buffs a unit due to the games attacking and blocking mechanics.

Mentor is a 1 mana 2/2 of stats, Omen hawk is a 1 mana 3/3, both with the benefit of potentially buffing much stronger units, Hearthguard has the same effect in hearthstone on a conditional legendary for 2 mana and if you dropped it on turn 2 it was generally a 75% winrate for the aggro deck that used it.

Much harder to remove anything in this game if it gets buffed out of specific kill ranges since there are only a couple "kill anything" 1 or 2 card combos per region, if that, and zaun has the only +1 spell damage minion at 5 mana with a 2 drop's body.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Every region has some form of a 1 mana 2/2 or better though? It's not like Mentor is out to lunch in terms of raw stats in comparison to the rest of the regions. Also with the exception of a couple other cards, elusives don't get out of kill range or most spells unless they get double buffed.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 30, 2020

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

No Wave posted:

how many days have you played this game? I know you generally compete at these sorts of games seriously so you'll see what the good decks are soon enough.

I just hit Plat IV - nothing worldshattering but I'm no longer a total novice. Elusives are good, sure, but I've been farming them pretty hard with a grindier Ionia/Demacia midrangey deck. I do play some Elusives myself though, perhaps I'm part of the problem!

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It blows my mind that Hearthstone has so thoroughly broken digital card game players that they do not know how to handle the keyword "flying" from 1994 magic the gathering

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I love it when people don't understand the timing on Fiora's win condition. I just won a game at -10 HP because of it.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I do think that's a bit reductive, considering that magic does also have some tools for anti-flying that Runeterra does not (notably reach as a keyword and some flyer hate cards. Discard abilities would also be supremely useful against the hand buffs that go in elusive decks).

But yeah, overall, none of these elusive cards are really over-statted. The lifesteal and card draw elusive are both quite good, but neither are OP.

ankle
Oct 30, 2010

I'm no TCG expert, but I don't think the way that elusive allies impact this game is exactly analogous to flyers in MTG. There isn't a counterpart to reach in this game, and removal is more sparse AND more expensive- there's no equivalent to a Path to Exile or Doomblade, which is something I actually like a lot, but it makes it harder to deal with elusives.

That being said, I've been mostly playing a Noxus/SI spider aggro deck and haven't had too much trouble with elusive decks because I can just outpace them.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I think people are overstating the value of reach in MtG. Even during highly dominant flyer metagame in magic (last years mono-U tempo for example) reach still doesn't get run in decks, except as something that's stapled onto a card that already is doing something in their gameplans. Reach is much more of a keyword that's relevant to limited formats than constructed formats.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

MtG also has a billion ways to instantly destroy a flier. Almost any non mono deck can tech some control against heavy fliers.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Eraflure posted:

MtG also has a billion ways to instantly destroy a flier. Almost any non mono deck can tech some control against heavy fliers.

It has a billion ways to destroy creatures in general. LoR distinctly lacks that.

If the best linear creature strategy is too dominant because of the lack of removal, the problem is that and not elusive. That problem is going to keep manifesting pretty much no matter what other changes get made.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

There are a distinct lack of cards that manipulate the enemy hand, I wonder if that's going to be something you see in one of the un-released regions. (Things like, you and the enemy both discard your hands and redraw three, or stealing a card from the enemy hand, or forcing the enemy to discard a card.) It would certainly help with some of the SI spam-draw tactics if you could cull the enemy hand once it gets completely out of control.

e: now that I think about it I'd bet that's going to be a thing for Bilgewater since there is absolutely NO chance they don't put Twisted Fate in. Some nasty 9 mana "you both discard your entire hand" slow spell.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 31, 2020

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I played Brightsteel Formation in response to my opponents For Demacia! and it was extremely cool and good. He was frustrated enough to throw away his entire board for a whopping one damage afterwards.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Imagined posted:

It's "flying" in any other card game. It's not OP. This is absurd.

this is was what my post was saying. the concept is not overpowered there just is not be enough tech to deal with it so it scans as being on the strong side right now

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

mistaya posted:

There are a distinct lack of cards that manipulate the enemy hand, I wonder if that's going to be something you see in one of the un-released regions. (Things like, you and the enemy both discard your hands and redraw three, or stealing a card from the enemy hand, or forcing the enemy to discard a card.) It would certainly help with some of the SI spam-draw tactics if you could cull the enemy hand once it gets completely out of control.

e: now that I think about it I'd bet that's going to be a thing for Bilgewater since there is absolutely NO chance they don't put Twisted Fate in. Some nasty 9 mana "you both discard your entire hand" slow spell.

Either Bilgewater or Bandle City will be my bet. I wonder if they'll shuffle Teemo to Bandle City when they eventually release it and put a new P/Z champ in his place. There's plenty of other champs that work there.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

cant wait for the ekko card because hes best boy and because it will inevitably infuriating to play against

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Had my first Bad Expedition, but immediately made up for it with a 7-0.

My final opponent played a Heimerdinger on turn 5 with no protection and I have no idea what he could've possibly thought was going to happen.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Monathin posted:

Either Bilgewater or Bandle City will be my bet. I wonder if they'll shuffle Teemo to Bandle City when they eventually release it and put a new P/Z champ in his place. There's plenty of other champs that work there.

I haven't played LoL in years but I want to be Gangplank and shoot people and eat fruit

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Locke Dunnegan posted:

I haven't played LoL in years but I want to be Gangplank and shoot people and eat fruit

I want to be Gangplank and shoot my own minions, old school style.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I pulled Two Heimers, do I use my 3rd Champ card on this somewhat inexpensive Control deck?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4bwgK6P1Jk
:thunk:

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Studio posted:

Just don't play constructed ever :clint:

I know the point of Draft in literally every card game is to pull the good cards instead of trying to recreate a constructed deck but man it's SO easy to build a good spider deck because every green card contributes to the strategy in some way. The meta deck is Dawnspiders but I went a totally different route with Phantom Prankster and suiciding my units constantly with blocks

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Monathin posted:

It's more likely they'll make another Teemo card for Bandle City. There's a whole bunch of Teemo-specific cards in Piltover/Zaun that would be left drifting in the wind if he straight up left.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

ankle posted:

I'm no TCG expert, but I don't think the way that elusive allies impact this game is exactly analogous to flyers in MTG. There isn't a counterpart to reach in this game, and removal is more sparse AND more expensive- there's no equivalent to a Path to Exile or Doomblade, which is something I actually like a lot, but it makes it harder to deal with elusives.

That being said, I've been mostly playing a Noxus/SI spider aggro deck and haven't had too much trouble with elusive decks because I can just outpace them.
There's plenty of burn to kill Elusives in this game, it's just all in a faction nobody seems to think is meta (P&Z). Of the 9 Ionian units that have unconditional Elusive attached to them, Mystic Shot kills 5 of them outright, Get Excited! kills all but one of them, and 2 of those 9 are on a curve of 7+. Of the Elusive cards the only one that strikes me as genuinely badly tuned is Shadow Assassin as it's overstuffed (3 for a 2|2 flying cantrip).

Buffing to hand in most D/I Elusive aggro decks exists purely in the form of Inspiring Mentor. Riposte, Back to Back, and Stand Alone are either conditional (solo unit) or cost 4+. To be clear, I do not think that Elusive aggro is a bad deck, or that RDW is a bad strategy all the time. I think there are Elusive units that could be slightly too powerful, to be sure. But as an overwhelming, backbreaking, this-strat-is-untouchable level meta-defining phenomenon I don't buy it. Maybe if we're still talking about this in March.

mistaya posted:

I was thinking the same, both in terms of Bilgewater being the next faction introduced and hand manipulation being the next mechanic introduced. Miss Fortune, Gangplank, Twisted Fate, and Graves or Pyke all make a bunch of sense and could have distinct identities within the game as currently constructed, although speculation seems pointless. I think you could do really awesome things with TF in particular - like, 4 mana for a 2|3 // 3|4 with "at start of round, opponent discards 1 card from hand" and levels up at "I've seen the opponent discard 3 cards from hand," no keyword (like Ashe, who also has no keyword). His Champion spell being Pick A Card, 2 mana and discard 1 to discard 1 opponent card, something like that. It's seems super obvious and would be pretty neat to include if they could strike the right balance.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Pyke's ability being to execute any enemy unit at 1 health would be hilarious.

Actually of all the Bilgewater champs if I was to pick 4 to put in LoR it'd probably be Tahm Kench, Pyke, Illaoi and Nautilus. Though I accept there is roughly a 0% chance that Miss Fortune and Gangplank aren't in the set.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I know the point of Draft in literally every card game is to pull the good cards instead of trying to recreate a constructed deck but man it's SO easy to build a good spider deck because every green card contributes to the strategy in some way. The meta deck is Dawnspiders but I went a totally different route with Phantom Prankster and suiciding my units constantly with blocks

I mean this isn't a traditional draft, and quite often a lot of drafts in MTG due lend themselves to pretty powerful combos (though maybe not standard oriented). If you can force spiders, go ham with that then. I haven't been able to get a good Spiders deck going, but I also don't go Shadow Isles very often.