Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Sense8 more than any show I've seen wears its heart on its sleeve. There is absolutely zero subtlety in terms of themes or character development, but if it clicks with you it really clicks. It's messy and wonderful and frustrating all at once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

head58
Apr 1, 2013

One trigger warning: in the opening credits there there’s a shot of two men eating an ice cream cone and the melty ice cream is getting all in their beards, and whoever thought that was acceptable needs to be fired into the sun.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

JMS other show Jeremiah was also pretty good. Too bad it only got 2 seasons.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
How quickly people forget "Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future."

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
The Real Ghostbusters was the poo poo, not gonna lie.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gd it he's right

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I might have to decide on whether to actually watch Season 5 again before the end of the month, when B5 leaves Amazon Prime.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Crap, does that mean the whole show won't be available anywhere for streaming?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

loving do it. There are some drat good pay offs in there even if it tends to be a bit less even than the other seasons.
E: oh, again. Still do it.

E:E: also if anyone is a B5 Superfan with large amounts of disposable income, you too could have a hole in your mind. :eyepop:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F362889974168

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 24, 2020

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

gently caress, I was planning a rewatch because a few of my DVDs in the set won't read anymore :(

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

S5 is actually underrated imo. Aside from some truly terrible acting in a few eps (e.g. thug geezer who wants to take over the station) and the execution of the telepath plot (why do they all look like shampoo models, why did they give lyta nothing to do) it's full of good stuff. If you look at the lurkers guide ratings, only about four episodes are below an 8.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doctor Zero posted:

E:E: also if anyone is a B5 Superfan with large amounts of disposable income, you too could have a hole in your mind. :eyepop:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F362889974168

I'm not gonna lie, I had to stop and think REAL hard for a moment looking at that.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm not gonna lie, I had to stop and think REAL hard for a moment looking at that.

:same: the only thing stopping me is that it’s sure to still go way higher.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I just read JMS' autobiography.

Holy poo poo. I strongly suggest any B5 fan read it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

:justpost:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

sebmojo posted:

S5 is actually underrated imo. Aside from some truly terrible acting in a few eps (e.g. thug geezer who wants to take over the station) and the execution of the telepath plot (why do they all look like shampoo models, why did they give lyta nothing to do) it's full of good stuff. If you look at the lurkers guide ratings, only about four episodes are below an 8.

I don't know, it's a rough start. I'm not sure if I'll make it before it's pulled.

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

I just read JMS' autobiography.

Holy poo poo. I strongly suggest any B5 fan read it.

Any interesting takes on his courtship/harassment of Claudia Christian?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Once you get past the telepath arc, season 5 goes balls to the walls and doesn't let up.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Doctor Zero posted:

:same: the only thing stopping me is that it’s sure to still go way higher.

:yossame:

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't know, it's a rough start. I'm not sure if I'll make it before it's pulled.

Any interesting takes on his courtship/harassment of Claudia Christian?

Not them, but there was no mention of Claudia Christian at all.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Timby posted:

Once you get past the telepath arc, season 5 goes balls to the walls and doesn't let up.

Yeah but the telepath arc is TERRIBLE and Byron and their dumb song are insufferable

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

FairGame posted:

Yeah but the telepath arc is TERRIBLE and Byron and their dumb song are insufferable

it's, what, 3-4 eps, and each one has something worth watching in it (and, thematically, it's excellent, it's just executed very poorly). You need to be in a mood where you can laugh at their insanely glossy hair, but I think it's worth pushing through.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

sebmojo posted:

it's, what, 3-4 eps, and each one has something worth watching in it (and, thematically, it's excellent, it's just executed very poorly). You need to be in a mood where you can laugh at their insanely glossy hair, but I think it's worth pushing through.

I have until what, Friday?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I have until what, Friday?

Watch harder, while holding out your hand telepathically

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

sebmojo posted:

Watch harder, while holding out your hand telepathically

Oh, I'll hold out my hand, all right!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The place... is Catylon 5

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
The Long Dark Night of Londo Mollari wasn't as cringe-worthy as I remembered it to be. And the telepaths aren't as cringe-worthy as I remembered, either, beyond their introduction in the first episode of the season. But I just don't have the time.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The Long Dark Night of Londo Mollari wasn't as cringe-worthy as I remembered it to be. And the telepaths aren't as cringe-worthy as I remembered, either, beyond their introduction in the first episode of the season. But I just don't have the time.

It’s either a kind of Stockholm Syndrome or it’s the fact that on second watch through you kind of mentally acknowledge that it’s got more subtext than was obvious on first watch. For me it’s mostly the latter.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The real problem was the telepaths were consuming all of Babylon 5's hair conditioner

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Tighclops posted:

The real problem was the telepaths were consuming all of Babylon 5's hair conditioner

i heard they use spoo

my biggest problem with the telepaths is how badly lyta gets neutered as a character, she has a really interesting arc through the series and it would have been easy to have her as an active cohort of byrons rather than a blankeyed robot.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Imagine if it had been Ivanova.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

sebmojo posted:

i heard they use spoo

my biggest problem with the telepaths is how badly lyta gets neutered as a character, she has a really interesting arc through the series and it would have been easy to have her as an active cohort of byrons rather than a blankeyed robot.

10 credits an ounce, if you can believe it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Tighclops posted:

Seriously. They're a bunch of refugees making do in the shittest part of the station, their hair should either be cut short out of expediency or ratty as all hell.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The bones of the telepath arc are really great, they just hosed multiple aspects of the execution.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

sebmojo posted:

The bones of the telepath arc are really great, they just hosed multiple aspects of the execution.

The fundamental problem was that even when they're only briefly in an episode they dragged all pacing to a screeching halt to talk in monotone and bore the audience to tears until they departed in a huff of perpetual indignancy.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
A View from the Gallery, however, is as cringe-worthy and full of hero-worship of the Big Important Characters (and also Are Troops) as I remembered. :barf:

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Just rewatched Eyes this evening and was struck by what seems like a very pointed name and backstory to the villain. Does anyone know who he was a reference to?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Maera Sior posted:

Just rewatched Eyes this evening and was struck by what seems like a very pointed name and backstory to the villain. Does anyone know who he was a reference to?

You mean Ari Ben Zayn? He's not a reference to anything. He's your typical martinet dickhead who can't handle being passed over for promotion, and he just happens to be Israeli/Jewish because Israel still exists in 2258.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Jedit posted:

You mean Ari Ben Zayn? He's not a reference to anything. He's your typical martinet dickhead who can't handle being passed over for promotion, and he just happens to be Israeli/Jewish because Israel still exists in 2258.

"Ben Zayn" is also not a real Israeli/Jewish surname and literally means "Son of Dick".