Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

zoux posted:

I know we're all mad at Beto for running for president but imagine for a second you were surrounded by 50 Grima Wormtongues whispering in your ear that you're the chosen one and you can win this thing because they want to soak you and your supporters for campaign consultant cash.

It is easy to understand why he did it. It just sucks he fell to siren song of a doomed vanity project rather than stay focused on building Texas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's why you must never, ever feel a glimmer of hope or optimism. Then you're only ever correct or pleasantly surprised.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Well yeah, I'm a life long liberal in Texas, why the gently caress would I have hope? :v:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The fact that Beto did fall for the siren song of a doomed vanity project is precisely why he sucks rear end. In terms of Texas, he managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

It's like he had his own Mount Doom scene from LOTR.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

zoux posted:

I know we're all mad at Beto for running for president but imagine for a second you were surrounded by 50 Grima Wormtongues whispering in your ear that you're the chosen one and you can win this thing because they want to soak you and your supporters for campaign consultant cash.

I do understand that, but on the other hand he is responsible for his own choices and he should have had enough political sense to consider that they were selling him snake oil.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

Shadi Zitoon posted:

It is a tough race. I like most of the candidates and think they would all do well. I haven't seen anything that suggest any of them aren't at least pretty left. I think Candace or Jan are the most left but I am not sure. The only one I haven't personally talked to is Sam Vega so his politics are more unknown to me. I spoke at IGA earlier this week with Kim Olson and she can command a room.

Thanks! I checked out Vega a bit and he’s pretty explicit about M4A and Green New Deal. Also seems to be a DSA member, so that just about checks all of my lefty boxes for the primary.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Honestly the most frustrating part about the Beto for President mess was everyone going "Dude, what are you doing?" and "what do you think actually sets you apart from the other presidential candidates?" from every single angle and he just kept blowing off the questions and criticisms. Like I can see him ignoring a few cranks but when everyone, ever, is asking him that in just about every interview it has to be a sign.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I bet Beto hates whoever convinced him to say he was born to run for president.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bizarro Watt posted:

I do understand that, but on the other hand he is responsible for his own choices and he should have had enough political sense to consider that they were selling him snake oil.

Well the point is that "Beto's Senate run was bad for Ds in Texas" is a wrong take. No one is happy with Beto's presidential run, least of all Julian Castro.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Shadi Zitoon posted:

It is a tough race. I like most of the candidates and think they would all do well. I haven't seen anything that suggest any of them aren't at least pretty left. I think Candace or Jan are the most left but I am not sure. The only one I haven't personally talked to is Sam Vega so his politics are more unknown to me. I spoke at IGA earlier this week with Kim Olson and she can command a room.

I've met both Jan and Candace and they're both genuine people who I have no issue supporting, I donated to both. It looks like Kim Olson is running away with funding, probably because she ran for a state wide position in 2018.

For what it's worth, M4A is a big issue for me and Jan is the only one that presents it as an end-goal while Candace and Kim suggest protecting and improving the ACA.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

"Beto couldn't even beat Ted Cruz!!!" is still real dumb, I'm glad we're mostly past that

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

i say swears online posted:

"Beto couldn't even beat Ted Cruz!!!" is still real dumb, I'm glad we're mostly past that

Are we

enraged_camel posted:

In terms of Texas, he managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

It's like he had his own Mount Doom scene from LOTR.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

EC is not representative of accepted discourse!!

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

zoux posted:

Well the point is that "Beto's Senate run was bad for Ds in Texas" is a wrong take. No one is happy with Beto's presidential run, least of all Julian Castro.

Oh, I agree with that part.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/quorumreport/status/1222948319829405697

https://twitter.com/dallasnews/status/1222946840502571008

Chooz your nooz

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

EC is not representative of accepted discourse!!

That's true, I spent most of my life on the West Coast so my standards are a tad higher than whatever low rear end bar you guys are setting for yourselves.

:smug:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

That's true, I spent most of my life on the West Coast so my standards are a tad higher than whatever low rear end bar you guys are setting for yourselves.

:smug:

do you not understand demographics or what

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

do you not understand demographics or what

Of course not, he's a transplant. :smug:

In more positive/lest shitposting news: went out to my local elections office and updated my voter registration information and signed up to be a volunteer election person. I'll probably be picking and hauling equipment and stuff but hey, I figure every bit and every person helps.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
true for most "democratic" cities in texas

https://twitter.com/gus_bova/status/1222989209578983424

quote:

But, as Who Rules El Paso? makes clear, post-mortem boosterism hides a dirty secret: The city’s politics are neither robust nor multicultural. Instead, they are weak and racialized. Local government is controlled by a coterie of rich, primarily white Republicans. Most are bankers, real estate investors, and developers. Most abjure elected office but bankroll candidates of more modest means, who doubt they can get elected unless the tycoons fund their campaigns.

The bankrolling buys obeisance. When it comes to decision-making about matters like public land use, property tax rates, and what to include in bond projects, ordinary El Pasoans ask for one thing, but City Council reps and the mayor push for the opposite—and almost always get it. “The system in place in El Paso,” according to the authors, “caters to developers and other business elites, while, with some exceptions, city representatives show little regard for what the citizenry thinks.” In recent years, during public comment at council meetings, salt-of-the-earth residents have railed against proposals to destroy the historic, working-class Duranguito neighborhood to build a glitzy sports arena; to sell beautiful, undeveloped public land that locals use for hiking; and to shrink the city library. In response—as one of the book’s authors, retired political science professor Kathy Staudt, has commented—many council reps and the mayor stared blankly, like zombies. Then, they overrode popular wishes in favor of those held by the rich people who finance their campaigns.

quote:

In the early aughts, a movement of young, well-educated people, including Beto O’Rourke, styled themselves as progressive reformers and began running for office on an anti-corruption, civic-improvement platform. Perhaps naively, they welcomed help from a newcomer group of Anglo Republicans, even richer than the old timers. One was William Sanders, the billionaire real-estate developer father of Amy Sanders, whom Beto married in 2005.

That same year, William Sanders and others in the elite organized a dues-paying, invitation-only club of peers who aimed to remodel El Paso to attract tourists and high-end shoppers to downtown. The group planned to demolish blocks of humble residences that for generations housed poor but striving immigrants. Beto was made a member of the club. He won his first political campaign (for city council) later that year.

The redevelopment plan was denounced by many El Pasoans as classist and racist. In gerrymander style, the neighborhood under threat was tacked into the better-heeled district that Beto represented, and he suffered pushback for supporting the demolition plan. It was eventually scrapped. But Beto’s political career had been launched, with big bucks. Most came from the local oligarchs and their networks. Over half came in quanta of $500, $1,000, and more. Campaign finance data indicate that until the 2005 election, major candidates for El Paso City Council had been collecting about $10,000 in campaign contributions. Beto racked up nearly six times as much. Running again in 2007, he capped donations at $250 per person but still received about the same large amount as in 2005, mostly from affluent donors with Anglo surnames.

Since then it’s become even pricier to win city office in El Paso, and it’s now routine for candidates to get most of their money from contributions of $1,000 and up. Republican Dee Margo fits this pattern. When he successfully ran for mayor in 2017, the oligarchs helped him collect over $250,000—then six times more than an El Paso mayor’s annual pay.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 31, 2020

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

I think I mentioned this quite a while ago, but I lived in El Paso and worked at a position that gave me some inside baseball knowledge of the local politics and this is 100% true when I was living there. And Veronica Escobar is cut from the exact same cloth. She's going to be a fine center-left Dem, but she'll never get anywhere close to a AOC/Tlaib/Omar or Jessica Cisneros.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Great for local government to become one of those sham dictatorships.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
The Baytown Exxon is extremely on fire again. Lighting up the whole rear end city this time.

Normal things. Deregulation owns.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Marxalot posted:

The Baytown Exxon is extremely on fire again. Lighting up the whole rear end city this time.

Normal things. Deregulation owns.

Got any links, I can't seem to find any news on this yet.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Number_6 posted:

Got any links, I can't seem to find any news on this yet.

I'd post a pic from my front yard but it kind of makes it very obvious where I live.

also still on fire lol

e: also traffic was too bad on my way home to snap a pic on the spur. Blame the idiot who decided to do 35 in the 65 and get everything all backed up.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jan 31, 2020

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Marxalot posted:

I'd post a pic from my front yard but it kind of makes it very obvious where I live.

also still on fire lol

e: also traffic was too bad on my way home to snap a pic on the spur. Blame the idiot who decided to do 35 in the 65 and get everything all backed up.

Either this is the biggest cover up in history or you dreamed that up dude because it no one is posting about it anywhere

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
My wife works in Baytown and said something looked like it was on fire on her way home last night

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well, I can't find a single thing about it online

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Yeah this thread is the only place I’ve seen it. Usually the Houston reddit is plastered with peoples lovely out the car window drive by pictures of anything as mildly interesting as a sunset so something like a chemical plant fire would show up.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I looked last night after he posted, and there was only like 3 other posts on Twitter about it, 1 of which was his. Looked like a giant Flare from a tower or something, not like a plant was on fire or exploding.

https://twitter.com/BaytownSam/status/1223057455946616832?s=20

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well I shan't be getting my breaking news from you internet randos any more

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
BEAUTIFUL FIRE!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

BREAKING NEWS: Phantom Meance was a good movie

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/BriscoeCain/status/1223264966968532993

Look he merely strongly implied he would kill a prominent political figure

https://twitter.com/BenjaminEW/status/1223321313865060352

Kind of an odd thing for a D to go after another D for don't you think :thunk:

(The shadowy dark money group being uhhhh Emily's List)

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 31, 2020

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/scottbraddock/status/1223357107539496963
https://twitter.com/BudKennedy/status/1223365199333335040

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
bob hall's state senate district covers several towns and counties east of dallas like greenville / commerce and fannin county :bahgawd:

my cousin married a girl from out there... everyone in the town were all relatives

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He's the last of the Empower Texas Senators after Konni Burton and Don Huffines got rinsed in '18. All that money and they get a dude whose number one top tier issue is EMP attacks.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

bob hall's state senate district covers several towns and counties east of dallas like greenville / commerce and fannin county :bahgawd:

my cousin married a girl from out there... everyone in the town were all relatives

Pretty much. That's the area where I grew up, attending a tiny 1A rural school, and about 75% of the student body and faculty were all related in some way even if most of it was along the lines of having great-great-grandparents who were siblings, in-laws, or whatever. People tend to either immediately move away after high school and not come back, or settle down with their school sweetheart/fourth cousin in a house down the road from their parents because if they don't want to move there aren't really a lot of options for dating. And that's without even going into the families whose family trees were... even more interwoven than usual. I knew of two families with kids around my age whose parents were first cousins. One of them lived in a mad max-style compound of decaying trailer house with makeshift renovations and expansions fenced in by stacked junker cars and welded scrap metal.

It's hard to overstate just how rural and insular northeast Texas is, even as the Dallas metropolitan area continues to expand and incorporate it along the I-30 corridor. Large chunks of the area didn't even have utilities like running water until the late 60s or 70s.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

He's the last of the Empower Texas Senators after Konni Burton and Don Huffines got rinsed in '18. All that money and they get a dude whose number one top tier issue is EMP attacks.
probably getting their money's worth because L3 (mil-industrial giant) has a big facility in Greenville

https://twitter.com/DrMarkPBarry/status/1209634002606399488

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lol oh well guess you can't fault the man for repping his district

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Either this is the biggest cover up in history or you dreamed that up dude because it no one is posting about it anywhere

The poo poo catches fire all the time. It's usually not news unless there's significant property damage or injuries.

also lol rekt https://twitter.com/keribla/status/1223686897362440193?s=20

e: the other option is they had one or more of those short rear end portable flare stacks pulled up next to their olefins unit and flipped them wide open

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 2, 2020