Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I don't mind the long setup time, I know from the trailers I'm getting plenty of returning characters, with my guess being they accomplish the rescue mission sooner than expected (i.e. by episode 5 or 6), and then pop back to earth for some chill hangs with past characters before jetting off on a new adventure. Or what's probably more likely is that they find Maddox, Earth hangouts, then go save her.

Fun to see some F-bombs in my star trek, fun to see how the Federation has changed and views Picard, I really liked the point that the Admiral brought up about how other Federation members were reacting to the Romulus Supernova since that's a very nice shade of gray to put on that whole mess, and I'm definitely digging the antagonist they have set up for the show, and I expect them to remain the main big bad since that seems like a hell of a thing for Picard and a little ol' ship and tiny crew to tackle on their own. Definitely sign me up for Picard getting in touch with various people who respect him (I imagine the Klingons like him, as one example) and rallying a nice force to root out this enemy, preferably with at least one or two large scale space battles in later seasons. I'd love to see even a small scale 3v3 or 10v10 Trek ship battle with the vfx we have now.

I also like the solid character reason for Picard not just being like "Okay Enterprise all-stars, lets go kick some rear end! I wasn't expecting that to be directly addressed since it isn't in many other revivals of old shows/characters, and that seemed like some very deft writing to me.

I keep waiting for the show to make a move I'm not at least a little into, and so far it's just all stuff that's interesting to me. I don't even particularly mind the slow burn, though man I would really love to have at least 13 episodes a season going forward. For a show like this a solid 10 a year is about all you can really expect, sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Eiba posted:

(For the record, lest I be accused of agreeing with the admiral just because I understand her perspective, she's still obviously wrong- you help the god drat refugees who are dying, and then deal with the political fallout, even if it's severe. You don't just give up and sit back as people die.)

You'd think so, but Trek has a long history of holding a mirror up to our time and I don't know if you've paid attention to the politics around refugees lately...

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

zoux posted:

Listen I'm no space racist but I think it's a good idea to screen all Vulcan Star Fleet officers to make sure they aren't actually romulans.

Was she pretending to be Vulcan? Based on the context of that situation where she said she would know if there was a Romulan plot I took her to be an actual Romulan who is part of Starfleet.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

I was wondering about that replicator. Why would it be programmed to make lovely food? Can't it make...anything?

Presumably it was asked to make some lovely food. I'm a lovely food eater, everything I love most is poo poo food evidently. Given the choice between a Quarter Pounder with extra mustard and the finest meal crafted personally for me by the world's best chef with the world's most desireable ingredients, I'd choose that muffukkin burg 100% of the time.

Edit: I realize the irony of the former option, given that a McDonald's Quarter Pounder technically is the world's best food prepared by the world's best chef.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Senor Tron posted:

Was she pretending to be Vulcan? Based on the context of that situation where she said she would know if there was a Romulan plot I took her to be an actual Romulan who is part of Starfleet.

Good thing all their forehead ridges receded in the past 40 years

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Khanstant posted:

Presumably it was asked to make some lovely food. I'm a lovely food eater, everything I love most is poo poo food evidently. Given the choice between a Quarter Pounder with extra mustard and the finest meal crafted personally for me by the world's best chef with the world's most desireable ingredients, I'd choose that muffukkin burg 100% of the time.

Edit: I realize the irony of the former option, given that a McDonald's Quarter Pounder technically is the world's best food prepared by the world's best chef.

Hello Mr President.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Starting Picard.

One of Pic's rommy buds is like "have u ever noticed a complete lack of AI in Romulan culture" and I'm like "I've noticed a complete lack of anything concrete about your culture besides 'rude vulcans.'" Also a bit convenient this one person so casually unfolds so much of this ultra-secret-double-secret organization.

Oh wow, they're doing a straight up computer hacking scene. I seem to recall plenty of moments where a science/med/engineer person needs an indeterminate amount of time to complete the technobabble task, but I'm not recalling many old Treks with a good ol' fashioned computer hacking sequence.

Picard: "Ghosts in the machine" when hackeromuwoman finds Sohj via hacking trick. AFAIK that phrase wasn't relevant here, just something "cool" to say that doesn't make sense or he's making a purposely acute pun?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 31, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Senor Tron posted:

They prominently show an IDIC, I'd assume that's to show she's Vulcan.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Khanstant posted:

Starting Picard.

One of Pic's rommy buds is like "have u ever noticed a complete lack of AI in Romulan culture" and I'm like "I've noticed a complete lack of anything concrete about your culture besides 'rude vulcans.'" Also a bit convenient this one person so casually unfolds so much of this ultra-secret-double-secret organization.

Oh wow, they're doing a straight up computer hacking scene. I seem to recall plenty of moments where a science/med/engineer person needs an indeterminate amount of time to complete the technobabble task, but I'm not recalling many old Treks with a good ol' fashioned computer hacking sequence.

I really suspect at least one of Picard's helpers to be Tal'Shiar (but not an enemy) after the last episode.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The tall shiar have always been clowned on, ds9 even lampshades it

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
When do they come up in DS9? Still got a few more seasons to go, but also my brain is full of holes.

I got some questions about loving an Android. So, I guess my first concern is, the weight. Would not an Android be significantly heavier, even if they were programmed to always support themselves to such a degree their "full weight" somehow is compensated for, seems like a bed or a couch would be a dead giveaway your partner ways 1,000 more pounds than you'd assume of a meatbag. Second, I assume orifices are lubricated, robots and oil seem pretty natural pairing, but is there semen and vaginal discharge? I suppose we don't know enough about the the datababies to know how their bellyworks are yet (Dahj was bleeding, right? How much of this gen body is organic or bio-synth?).

Also, is it just me, or does Sohj's bang-buddy looks like Spock from Disco?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jan 31, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Khanstant posted:

When do they come up in DS9? Still got a few more seasons to go, but also my brain is full of holes.

They come up during a big war.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
What the gently caress?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Data's children are almost indistinguishable from humans. That's kind of the point.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I gotta say, I have Netflix and I turned the new Picard episode off to go watch more Punisher. So far no puns.

I think I'm losing my mind. I haven't slept right all week. Today I lost my phone and found it in a suitcase in the closet.

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Mokinokaro posted:

I really suspect at least one of Picard's helpers to be Tal'Shiar (but not an enemy) after the last episode.

Their backstory was given in the prequel comics (so I've heard, I haven't read them) - they're both former Tal'Shiar.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Handsome Wife posted:

Their backstory was given in the prequel comics (so I've heard, I haven't read them) - they're both former Tal'Shiar.

They also said it this episode when they're arguing about whether he should go back into space too

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The whole failed attack on the “founders homeworld” was a joint OO/TS operation wasn’t it

I think that was the largest fleet of warships we’d ever seen on screen before, it blew my 13 yo mind

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Was that when the Founders had already moved to a secret second homeworld? That was a great moment, classic prank.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Handsome Wife posted:

I'm enjoying Picard but the cursing in this episode seems really tonally off. Like all of it, not just "sheer loving hubris". It felt more out of place than the Klingon tits in Discovery.

I didn’t care for it either. Believe me, every other word out of my mouth is gently caress IRL, but it just shouldn’t be in Star Trek. It’s really hard for me to qualify... I just don’t like it. It cheapens it somehow.

Rhyno posted:

Oh man, I have a weird theory but I'm exhausted and cant articulate it properly right now.

I hate this too. I’m like this a lot anymore. I gotta say though, I’m still all in. Warts and all this is still the best Trek we’ve had in a LONG time and I’m enjoying the hell out of it.

Lordshmee fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 31, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the gently caress word fit in that moment. She had never heard such bullshit before.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Upon reflection, I really wish this had been a Trek-standard double-length premiere. I would have even been happy to go out for a limited theatrical release, if they had done that. But this is likely to be the cornerstone for CBS All Access these next few years, so I get it...

The new ship designs unfortunately haven't struck me as terribly creative so far. The shuttles on Mars felt like generic sci-fi. I suppose the transport vessels shown more or less fit in with something that could be mass-produced in the Akira/Steamrunner/Sovereign era, but they felt a bit chunky when everything in late-90s Trek was so much more streamlined. The taxi shuttle at the end stood out to me the most; it was close enough to the TNG shuttle design that I could buy it as something that had been beating around Earth orbit since the 2360s.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I'm really enjoying this, but I'm so full of anticipation for the next episode, I think I'll try seeing if I can wait long enough to make each viewing a double-feature

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
It’s a small thing but I appreciate how different all of the Romulans have looked. It’s nice to get away from monocultural species.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Handsome Wife posted:

Who sided with Picard and his trailer-living frenemy from the end there during a conflict that happened as part of the evac efforts. So Picard gave them basically political asylum (and got free labour).

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Woah in Episode 2 Patrick Stewart is playing Picard again. If you flip between the two you can see his tone and demeanor change. I don't know, maybe the pilot was filmed apart from the others?

I do like the idea that the Romulans were able to keep some secrets from the Federation. It is a nice way to write in new information about the Romulans without contradicting earlier canon -- they are supposed to be isolationist and paranoid!

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 31, 2020

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
From what I've read the first three episodes were the pilot and filmed together.

Maybe he just had a bit of trouble getting back in the role

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
This was a pretty fun episode. I’m not sure I fully grasped the byplay of the conspirators. Is the evil commodore supposed to be a Vulcan or a Romulan impersonating a Vulcan or what? She’s obviously evil, her name doesn’t sound obviously Vulcan or Romulan, and she doesn’t seem especially dispassionate or logical, but she also doesn’t seem to be a Zhat Vash(sp?) since she wants to get some kind of knowledge about the androids instead of just smoke them, unlike “Rizzo” or bucktooth guy (have we heard this guy’s name yet?) Not sure who is playing whom here.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Watching ep 2 now. I'm noticing (and am pleased by) a lot of the soundtrack being reminiscent of Caprica. I feel more than fairly sure that's not a coincidence. It's got strong shades of nostalgia, which suit a spinoff well, whether a sequel or a prequel.

FE: Not the opening theme, mind you (which may or may not be a coincidence), I mean the incidental music.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So I guess irumodic syndrome is back and confirmed? It's weird they played that scene as if Picard and the audience hasn't known about that fate hanging over his head for 20 years.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Arglebargle III posted:

So I guess irumodic syndrome is back and confirmed? It's weird they played that scene as if Picard and the audience hasn't known about that fate hanging over his head for 20 years.

In that very same scene Picard mentions that he’s aware and that he was told at one point that it may or may not ever give him trouble. That’s what Crusher told him at the end of All Good Things.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I know he mentioned it, there's just something about the way the scene was played.

So, is that Hugh's old borg cube or a new one? They definitely don't act like the collective is gone since they are worried about the off chance of it dialing the cube.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I would assume a "new" one but we have no idea how long it's been out there.

They talked about there still being active drones in parts of it. I was a bit disappointed we didn't see them after that

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Arglebargle III posted:

I know he mentioned it, there's just something about the way the scene was played.

So, is that Hugh's old borg cube or a new one? They definitely don't act like the collective is gone since they are worried about the off chance of it dialing the cube.

Wasn't that Borg cube converted into a weird janky thing in Descent?

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
This episode especially made me feel like the first three episodes are basically a two-hour premiere, definitely makes sense to me that 1-3 were what they gave to reviewers in advance.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

skasion posted:

This was a pretty fun episode. I’m not sure I fully grasped the byplay of the conspirators. Is the evil commodore supposed to be a Vulcan or a Romulan impersonating a Vulcan or what? She’s obviously evil, her name doesn’t sound obviously Vulcan or Romulan, and she doesn’t seem especially dispassionate or logical, but she also doesn’t seem to be a Zhat Vash(sp?) since she wants to get some kind of knowledge about the androids instead of just smoke them, unlike “Rizzo” or bucktooth guy (have we heard this guy’s name yet?) Not sure who is playing whom here.

Rizzo calls her an "ally" so I guess the implication is that she's a Vulcan they turned.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

zoux posted:

You know Necheyev would love telling Picard to go gently caress himself after all his moralistic order disobeying

Aw, gently caress.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Cross-Section posted:

Rizzo calls her an "ally" so I guess the implication is that she's a Vulcan they turned.

Wasn't there an implication the society grew beyond Romulan culture?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm down with Romulan intelligence finally being a real antagonist instead of a villain that gets its comeuppance by the 52 minute mark.

The Founders only needed four agents on Earth though. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It would have been cooler if Picard had looked up Vash to get help that isn't exactly above board.