Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

https://twitter.com/SenatorCollins/status/1223091529872564225

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
It was very cute that WH council claimed Biden should be impeached for personal financial gain (for his family), but failed to connect that back to the heart of the question: How does that contrast to Trump? (Because of course the answer is that Trump sought personal political and financial gain for himself, so it's more egregious, but we can't say that.)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ok so thats 4?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

ok so thats 4?

That's one. We don't know what the other three will do.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

lol Collins braver than Murkowski.

The shame.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

It does seem like Collins would not bother with a grand statement here if she didn't have some idea that the others are joining her. but don't want to get my hopes up

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

eke out posted:

It does seem like Collins would not bother with a grand statement here if she didn't have some idea that the others are joining her. but don't want to get my hopes up

yea it feels like Collins wouldn't make a big deal if she didn't expect some protection points out of it, but I still don't trust these rats

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
What is their voting method? Can they just sit around waiting, monitoring the balance, and just decide at the last minute? IE, could the potentially-opposed Democrats wait for it to go over 50 and then vote the way they wanted instead of having to vote with the party?

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

https://twitter.com/Phil_Mattingly/status/1223093059061239808

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

sexpig by night posted:

yea it feels like Collins wouldn't make a big deal if she didn't expect some protection points out of it, but I still don't trust these rats

Nor should you.

Dont even believe that Collins is a "yes" until she actually casts the vote.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

I see it as Collins coming out first as a Yes because they're going to narrowly vote down witnesses. God I hope I'm wrong.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
https://twitter.com/DavidCornDC/status/1223092925585858561?s=19

I think this is right

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

the other thing is that the final two sentences, that (1) counsel for both sides should be able to agree on an equal number of witnesses, or else (2) if they can't, the senate will decide, have the ring of something they've been actively talking to eachother about you probably don't bother explaining that procedural thing if you know you're going to lose the vote and it will never matter.

i know it's all tea leaves though

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

https://twitter.com/SenAlexander/status/1223093577145864194

Nope.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Slowpoke! posted:

They have scheduled four hours of debate on whether to call witnesses. If that vote fails, McConnell has said he will force a vote to acquit tomorrow.

Thanks. "...four hours of debate on whether to call witnesses...." is better than watching Dershowitz making GBS threads on the Senate floor over and again. So there's that anyway.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

nevermind lol

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1223093815285862401?s=19

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

btw to end tomorrow they would have to literally have no deliberations (with clinton it was 3 days), which would be the perfect kicker for this sham

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

gently caress this coward. hope he gets some incurable poo poo.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

eke out posted:

nevermind lol

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
it'd be really funny if they went full sham and didn't even deliberate.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

well lets hope the dems gently caress them super hard in November.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

it'd probably be better for us when it comes to fundraising and get out the vote

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

1 of 15 jesus gently caress this people a 15 post thread hahahah

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Yup. She got a hall pass.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

"It's possible McConnell is orchestrating this."

Possibly.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Now I want to see Parnas or Bolton burn these pieces of poo poo. Just drop your worst poo poo between now and tomorrow whenever the farce vote is.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Hahahaha, Collins running to microphone to say "I'm voting YES!!!" because she knows it's a done deal.

It's ain't 20 years ago, Maine voters know what's up with her.

Maine is a blue-rear end state and Maine voters are in favor of impeachment 60/40. She thinks this helps her re-election chances, but I think she's toast.

For comparison, Corey Gardner knows he's DOA and is just looking for right-wing welfare come 2021.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ascii genitals posted:

Now I want to see Parnas or Bolton burn these pieces of poo poo. Just drop your worst poo poo between now and tomorrow whenever the farce vote is.

god i hope so.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

ascii genitals posted:

Honestly don't think it would matter. The Republican senators acknowledging that he did it, but are apparently saying that it's not impeachable lmao

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

eke out posted:

it'd probably be better for us when it comes to fundraising and get out the vote
Yeah, I don't know how you handicap this, but if you're Mitch you've got to figure that the people who are going to hammer you for this shitshow being a sham are going to do that anyway, so letting it go on just gives the other side more opportunities to generate soundbites. Or for Parnas or Bolton or whoever to drop another bomb during the process.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Never get your hopes up that a Republican will ever do the right thing. Ever.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

https://twitter.com/smsaideman/status/1223095516596264960

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

i skimmed this bullshit and it seems to say I don't need any more witnesses because:

i) it's clear he pressured ukraine improperly for personal gain;
ii) it was improper to do so, I don't need any more witnesses to think he did crimes; and
iii) while improper I don't think it rises to the level you should be impeached for.

I'm actually... ok? with that from a republican? I mean, it's not "no crimes, fake news, trump is the state, he's daddy emperor, anything he does is lawful by definition". while i disagree with it, it's at least a little coherent and honest-ish

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Never get your hopes up that a Republican will ever do the right thing. Ever.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Alexander: Trump definitely did it, he said it on TV. But we should let the voters decide, with further information. Cool

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Hopefully they have exactly 50 so we can see John Roberts actively refuse to break a tie. That way there'd be at least one more moment of high drama and massive disappointment

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

ascii genitals posted:

Alexander: Trump definitely did it, he said it on TV. But we should let the voters decide, with further information. Cool

We should let voters decide in what will undoubtably be a rigged election.

Pairs well with John Roberts theory of, "The remedy for partisan gerrymandering is for the party that won disproportionate power thanks to partisan gerrymandering to pass some laws against the partisan gerrymandering they benefit from so much."

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I for one am grateful to Alexander for the mercy kill

jesus christ our government sucks rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

LabyaMynora posted:

We should let voters decide in what will undoubtably be a rigged election.

Pairs well with John Roberts theory of, "The remedy for partisan gerrymandering is for the party that won disproportionate power thanks to partisan gerrymandering to pass some laws against the partisan gerrymandering they benefit from so much."

ehh. if it was as rigged as they want. we wouldnt have the loving house and virginia wouldnt be going super progressive.