Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

SO DEMANDING posted:

apparently there is such a thing

100TB

https://nimbusdata.com/products/exadrive-platform/scalable-ssds/

no word on pricing of course, lol

lol single node petabyte territory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

it claims unlimited writes. no DWPD limitations. what! is this some kind of magic? no, it's sata and maxing out sata 3 is 50 TB/day, 0.5 DWPD

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Progressive JPEG posted:

yeah I was just imagining someone using the extra space to make a 40TB SSD or something

tho I guess there’s probably not that much demand to concentrate that much space behind a single point of failure

i'm kinda curious what the breakdown of costs is in an SSD

like how much of it is the controller, how much is the flash chips

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's the sand. Rising sea levels are erasing all the beaches and sand is super expensive now

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i'm kinda curious what the breakdown of costs is in an SSD

like how much of it is the controller, how much is the flash chips

it's probably all flash chips,

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Nomnom Cookie posted:

it claims unlimited writes. no DWPD limitations. what! is this some kind of magic? no, it's sata and maxing out sata 3 is 50 TB/day, 0.5 DWPD

lol, bigfoot drives for a new generation

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

lol, bigfoot drives for a new generation

seagate should bring back the bigfoot brand and make a 5 1/2" form factor SSD. just a loving brick of flash.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hey

need a laptop for my son for school. so lame. doesnt seem to matter what it is, basically 7" or bigger and 6 hours battery

chromebooks seem like the best bang for buck, not paying extra for windows and macs are way outta the budget for a laptop thats gonna be in a school backpack for years

can anyone give any general advice? like "this brand is terrible" or "this brand is the best"?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

How old is your son, how long is the several years he is expected to keep it, what is he supposed to use it for?

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

does a 7" laptop exist

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
that's tablet territory there

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

echinopsis posted:

hey

need a laptop for my son for school. so lame. doesnt seem to matter what it is, basically 7" or bigger and 6 hours battery

chromebooks seem like the best bang for buck, not paying extra for windows and macs are way outta the budget for a laptop thats gonna be in a school backpack for years

can anyone give any general advice? like "this brand is terrible" or "this brand is the best"?

My nephew's (in NZ) school is giving (well... the parents still have to pay for it) them chromebooks next year, so I think it'll be enough for school work and watching youtube.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

picturing a 7" laptop itt

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

theadder posted:

does a 7" laptop exist

the 2007 asus eee pc?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asus_Eee_PC

it could technically run xp with its 800x480 screen, 512MB ram and either 4 or 8GB ssd, but you needed to use some display scaling software, otherwise some menus got cut off because windows expected you to have at least an 800x600 screen

lazydog fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jan 31, 2020

pram
Jun 10, 2001

echinopsis posted:

basically 7" or bigger and 6 hours battery

is this what getting old does to you

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

echinopsis posted:

hey

Is this thread any use to you? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552651

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
eh maybe

I ended up getting a lenovo 300e gen2. $409

tbh I'm quite impressed by it. it folds into a tablet. is got touch screen

its more like an android laptop really. I assumed it only ran chrome but it can run android apps too

being inherently cloud only does have benefits in a way I suppose

Dodoman posted:

My nephew's (in NZ) school is giving (well... the parents still have to pay for it) them chromebooks next year, so I think it'll be enough for school work and watching youtube.

basically

google docs kinda poo poo. slideshows. writing.

honestly I don't agree with bring your own device poo poo but thats the horrible world we live in

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

is it 7”

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

theadder posted:

is it 7”

no it was 11

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

echinopsis posted:

eh maybe

I ended up getting a lenovo 300e gen2. $409

tbh I'm quite impressed by it. it folds into a tablet. is got touch screen

its more like an android laptop really. I assumed it only ran chrome but it can run android apps too

being inherently cloud only does have benefits in a way I suppose

basically

google docs kinda poo poo. slideshows. writing.

honestly I don't agree with bring your own device poo poo but thats the horrible world we live in

chromebook

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

chromebooks are nice vanilla linux machines too, and if memory serves me right i think the new ones doesn't require you to open the machines to remove a screw or similar to make the flash writable

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Tankakern posted:

chromebooks are nice vanilla linux machines too, and if memory serves me right i think the new ones doesn't require you to open the machines to remove a screw or similar to make the flash writable

yep, the screw is only if you want to fully wipe the chrome os partition and fully replace the boot process now

i got a 2gb samsung one, refurbed, to use as a tinker machine and its really a decent cheap linux system. a lot more than i expected from a ~$100 laptop and the refurbs now come with more ram for nearly the same price because theres and endless stream of people buying new models and tossing their old ones

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

thanks google for making 2017 the year of linux in the desktop for me

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

lazydog posted:

the 2007 asus eee pc?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asus_Eee_PC

it could technically run xp with its 800x480 screen, 512MB ram and either 4 or 8GB ssd, but you needed to use some display scaling software, otherwise some menus got cut off because windows expected you to have at least an 800x600 screen

This takes me back. good computer, would buy a new version of same

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm going need to rack a PowerEdge somewhere before I'm done setting up the system.

What's the cheap/easy way ensure remote access without exposing iDRAC remotely? Raspberry Pi jump box with another Ethernet adapter?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Hed posted:

What's the cheap/easy way ensure remote access without exposing iDRAC remotely?

by fixing your firewall

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

using a vpn

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

bobbilljim posted:

No joke, my HP Mini 1030nr carried me through an entire college degree. Best goddamn computer I ever owned, and I would strangle a thousand help desk techs to get that form factor back. Miss that computer..

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

bobbilljim posted:

those were massive buckets of poo poo, what gives you the idea that there were any redeeming features of those turds?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
I used it as my main computer for quite a while, it had "flash memory" so disk was actually sort of fast and it ran an external screen just fine. It required a lot of janitoring to get to that point but that's half the fun!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sticking home button on iphone... can do at home?

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.
Work problem: I need to move a PC to another room about 500' away. The PC needs a handful of connections extended, like USB, Ethernet, VGA, DB9 serial, etc. That's all fine. Problem is there's also a DB15 (8 pins over 7 pins) cable that needs to be extended too. I've searched but can't find a DB15 active extender. What I want is this but with the DB15 cable. Anyone ever seen one? I'd even consider commissioning one to be made custom as it's a big deal, if that was possible.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
could you use a usb to db15 adapter?

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.

Perplx posted:

could you use a usb to db15 adapter?

I don't think so, it would end up being DB15 to USB, USB extended over cat6, then cat6 to USB, USB to DB15. I'd bet a dollar it wouldn't work.

One idea I had was to take the DB15 and split it into two DB9s, then add in two conventional DP9 extenders. then on the far side, recombine them back to DB15 carefully. I don't know if that would work either though.

fack you
Sep 12, 2002

For Life
So apparently connectors for modular power supplies aren't universal (I grabbed the wrong one from a different power supply, although the actual connectors match - the wiring does not), and now a hard drive is toast. It was one LVM physical volume out of two for a volume group...is there a way to recover any data from the remaining physical volume/hard drive? I assume not since I'm sure the data spanned both hard drives.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

fack you posted:

So apparently connectors for modular power supplies aren't universal (I grabbed the wrong one from a different power supply, although the actual connectors match - the wiring does not), and now a hard drive is toast. It was one LVM physical volume out of two for a volume group...is there a way to recover any data from the remaining physical volume/hard drive? I assume not since I'm sure the data spanned both hard drives.

raid0? no

just a single volume spanning two disks? you should be able to

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

fack you posted:

if you have an identical drive you may be able to swap the PCBs

it's unlikely anything is wrong with the moving parts after all

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if you have an identical drive you may be able to swap the PCBs

it's unlikely anything is wrong with the moving parts after all

i've done this, hot plugged a molex connector and destroyed a customers drive, went through our bin of used drives and found exactly 1 matching donor, PCB board revision also matters

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
if the data is worth money then call a professional data recovery outfit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

pc3000 is not difficult software to use but you don't want the first time to be on a drive you care about