Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

I have stood knee deep in mud and bone, and filled my lungs with mustard gas.

I have seen two brothers fall.

I have lain with holy wars and copulated with the autumnal fallout.

I have dug trenches for the refugees.

I have murdered dissidents where the ground never thaws, and starved the masses into faith.

A child's shadow burnt into the brickwork.

A house of skulls in the jungle.

The innocent! The innocent, Mandus!

Trod and bled and gassed and starved and beaten and murdered and enslaved!

This is your coming century!

They will eat them, Mandus!

They will make pigs of you all, and they will bury their snouts into your ribs, and they will eat your hearts!

And then, like any good captain of industry, he comes up with something worse so the apocalypse will be on his terms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

crispix posted:

Today I have been mostly gammon spotting.

https://goo.gl/maps/VacNJs6Cb7t3Qd949

Aw, got me nostalgic for High Wycombe's high street. Way more diverse than any of the surrounding towns in Bucks, too.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Jose posted:

Coronavirus people are in Newcastle lol

Can't be any worse than a standard case of Munchies morning-after turbo shits.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
It all goes down hill from this day, like poo poo rolling down the hill into a large, viscous turd ball

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jedit posted:

Their objection to Europe isn't that it exists, it's that we don't rule it. They'd be right down with a European Union if all the decisions were made in London by English people.
I doubt Hitler would have been down for that. Mosley would have had to sit in the pleb seats with Mussolini and Franco.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/BrandonLewis/status/1223196840218300418

two of the most utterly punchable faces I've ever seen tbh

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
gently caress Boris, gently caress May, gently caress the tories, gently caress the Queen, gently caress all gammons, gently caress lexiters, gently caress England, gently caress the Union Jack.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

I doubt Hitler would have been down for that. Mosley would have had to sit in the pleb seats with Mussolini and Franco.

Reminder that every fascist believes that he will be the only one in charge.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This is why it's a failed and autodestructive philosophy.

And yet one that predictably keeps popping up as long as it's unchallenged.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

keep punching joe posted:

gently caress Boris, gently caress May, gently caress the tories, gently caress the Queen, gently caress all gammons, gently caress lexiters, gently caress England, gently caress the Union Jack.

gently caress the melts who killed any chance of a soft brexit chasing a second referendum

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

keep punching joe posted:

The english...

Jose posted:

gently caress the melts who killed any chance of a soft brexit chasing a second referendum

The english!!!

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Not to mention that diplomacy is a lot harder when you're a murderous oval office to everyone who doesn't look like you.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

Their objection to Europe isn't that it exists, it's that we don't rule it. They'd be right down with a European Union if all the decisions were made in London by English people.

Just the other day I heard "Once we're out we should lend support to anti-EU parties in other European countries, help them leave then form a trade block to counterbalance the rest of the EU, so they can't push us around :downs: "

So, yes.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Ash Crimson posted:

The english...

The english!!!

gently caress off with this dumb offensively oversimplified crypto-nationalist bullshit already

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Jose posted:

Them too.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Not to mention that diplomacy is a lot harder when you're a murderous oval office to everyone who doesn't look like you.

Took me a second to realise if this was a post about Brexit or fascism.

In before that Spanish child meme.

Also Peoples Vote was clearly a Labour Party wrecking operation and don't let people forget that.

Also also everyone on the left is a lexiter now so don't go too hard on them unless they were willing to offer up migrants as a sacrifice.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

gently caress off with this dumb offensively oversimplified crypto-nationalist bullshit already

gently caress off mate, Brexit was clearly driven by the English desire to retain what power they have left in this union unless you're going to seriously tell me that prior to the referendum there was in anyway an equal amount of disdain in Scotland.

Anyone is welcome to come up north and join Scotland, but the reality is that a vast majority of anti-eu sentiment and propaganda has come from England and to deny that is to deny reality, so go on, keep denying reality, it's part of the reason we're in this mess in the first place because it's uncomfortable for England and the English to admit that years of anti-eu sentiment has been created by them.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

namesake posted:

if this was a post about Brexit or fascism.

Yes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

namesake posted:

Took me a second to realise if this was a post about Brexit or fascism.

There is no difference. Take a look at Eco's flags for ur-Fascism - last time I looked, Brexit filled at least 11 out of 14.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

BalloonFish posted:

Just the other day I heard "Once we're out we should lend support to anti-EU parties in other European countries, help them leave then form a trade block to counterbalance the rest of the EU, so they can't push us around :downs: "

So, yes.

We'll form our own EU, with blackjack, and hookers!

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

happy brexday every1!!!!!

Bah, and I can't stress this enough, humbug.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Jedit posted:

There is no difference. Take a look at Eco's flags for ur-Fascism - last time I looked, Brexit filled at least 11 out of 14.

I think it's really telling that immediately after the referendum incidents of hate crime, even against British Born Citizens with a non-eu background rose.

It was always about attacking the "other", but this time it's free game on anyone they consider different.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

ThomasPaine posted:

I don't think there's much about it that's crypto

I think we need more of it actually https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rwet6xL5n7Y

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Ash Crimson posted:

gently caress off mate, Brexit was clearly driven by the English desire to retain what power they have left in this union unless you're going to seriously tell me that prior to the referendum there was in anyway an equal amount of disdain in Scotland.

Anyone is welcome to come up north and join Scotland, but the reality is that a vast majority of anti-eu sentiment and propaganda has come from England and to deny that is to deny reality, so go on, keep denying reality, it's part of the reason we're in this mess in the first place because it's uncomfortable for England and the English to admit that years of anti-eu sentiment has been created by them.

Scotland voted 38% leave. That's not insignificant. Stop throwing good people under the bus because they were born south of the arbitrary line in your head.

Yes, British nationalism and latent imperial nostalgia played a greater role in England, but it's lazy, dangerous, and loving insulting to lay all the blame on 'the English', whatever that means.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

ThomasPaine posted:

On one hand England has hosed it good and proper this time and you deserve no sympathy. On the other, Wales voted to leave so lol.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
If there any brexiters following this thread watching us turn on ourselves must be the icing on the cake.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Tbf AC has always been a little... enthusiastic.

I continue to reserve my anger for the people who deserve it.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

We'll form our own EU, with blackjack, and hookers!

See also the it-would-be-sweet-if-it-wasn't-so-worrying belief that The Commonwealth will just become our surrogate EU in terms of free trade and movement (later only applying to bits of the Commonwealth with 'shared cultural heritage and beliefs' of course [dogs suddenly start howling]).

As if the likes of New Zealand have just been twiddling their thumbs since 1974 desperately waiting for the Mother Isle to return to the world stage and haven't totally reformed and realigned themselves. Or the likes of India and Nigeria aren't relishing the chance to cut a trade deal with the UK on something like an equal footing for the first time in 400 years.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

BalloonFish posted:

Or the likes of India and Nigeria aren't relishing the chance to cut a trade deal with the UK on something like an equal footing for the first time in 400 years.
One of the better arguments for Leave.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Extremely funny trend amongst the totally not ecstatic Labour right, who apparently don't see celebrating their own narcissistic ignorance as the ridiculous self-own it clearly is

https://twitter.com/JBickertonUK/status/1223189958552432640?s=19

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

^^^Novara does usually interview academics and politicians rather than activists though and their use of language does show. I can't really think of any guests they've had on that have done things rather than write papers or pass motions on things.

BalloonFish posted:

See also the it-would-be-sweet-if-it-wasn't-so-worrying belief that The Commonwealth will just become our surrogate EU in terms of free trade and movement (later only applying to bits of the Commonwealth with 'shared cultural heritage and beliefs' of course [dogs suddenly start howling]).

As if the likes of New Zealand have just been twiddling their thumbs since 1974 desperately waiting for the Mother Isle to return to the world stage and haven't totally reformed and realigned themselves. Or the likes of India and Nigeria aren't relishing the chance to cut a trade deal with the UK on something like an equal footing for the first time in 400 years.

Like with the slight weirdness around the Brexiteers celebrations, the ship of nostalgia will founder on the reef of reality and despite the right wing being united in the moment of Brexit they'll have to return to infighting shortly because the way forward is seriously perilous. They have no trusted allies, no clear plans or policy that can be achieved easily any more and circumstances which require someone to lead and they can't be sure it'll keep being them.

Turning out the nationalism and xenophobia is the obvious uniting factor to take forward but do any of them really want to become the new Hitler figure rather than dance under cloaks of democracy and undefined sovereignty? Perhaps there's a figure out there poised to sweep all of them aside. Is there enough communities in the UK, enough social bonds and organisations with power around the country to successfully resist their attempts to keep the hate rolling? That's what this year is for - making sure they do exist.

namesake fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jan 31, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

namesake posted:

^^^Novara does usually interview academics and politicians rather than activists though and their use of language does show. I can't really think of any guests they've had on that have done things rather than write papers or pass motions on things.
That just makes their tweet "hosed up that these academics use academic language when discussing academic issues". It's anti-intellectualism at its finest.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

That just makes their tweet "hosed up that these academics use academic language when discussing academic issues". It's anti-intellectualism at its finest.

Yeah that's fair. Would be nice to keep expanding the left wing media ecology though so that that wasn't the major source and reference though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's one of the things that the left can't win with these people. Speak in simplistic terms that don't cover every single edge case and you're stupid and naive, speak in precise terms that account for the specific idea that you're pushing forward and you're elitist and overly academic.

Meanwhile the right can just go around shouting "common sense mate, scroungers don't want to work, lock em up" and don't get the same scrutiny.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Today is always bad, but tomorrow can always be better.

It's one of the few things I think we all have to live up to, and one of the reasons we need to do and be more.

Hopefully we will see some good changes, and soon, but I think that part of it is that society has to advance funeral by funeral.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

lmbo at brexit, everything about it really is funny

except the vulnerable people that will suffer when the poo poo hits the fan of course

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Look I know people itt don't like it when people say gently caress the english, but i'm going to say it on brexit day of all days. gently caress the english

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

At least 53% of them anyway

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

marktheando posted:

Look I know people itt don't like it when people say gently caress the english, but i'm going to say it on brexit day of all days. gently caress the english

As an English person, in wholeheartedly agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Sunderland getting hosed when the Nissan plant closes due to brexit will be grim but sort of funny