Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Arquinsiel posted:

They do look approximately the right size relative to each other at least, it's just that one is a shack and the other is a decent cottage with a second floor/attic.

I mean, the doors and the the windows seem to be of similar sizes to each others, so it's definitely this^

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Behold the most accurate cold war miniatures point valuation ever. These point values are validated in 1980 by both the Red Army and the CIA. Note that all point values are measured in T-55AMs.

Biffmotron posted:

To jump back to measuring combat power, I’ve got a FOIAed CIA translation of a Soviet general staff force assessment document that measures everything in the best unit of lethality, the T-55 tank. See how individual bits of Cold War hardware stack up, in terms of stronk tank, as well as units from an Italian Alpine Infantry Division to a Soviet Guards T-64 Armored Division.

https://www.cia.gov/library/readingroom/docs/1980-08-25.pdf

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Not one thing in the entire document rated 6.9 or 0.69. Not even a division total of 690 to be found.

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 23, 2020

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I will repeat myself: it's the only measurement that matters.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

golden bubble posted:

Behold the most accurate cold war miniatures point valuation ever. These point values are validated in 1980 by both the Red Army and the CIA. Note that all point values are measured in T-55AMs.

The fact the M60A2 is one of the highest rated things in that chart is hilarious.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Class Warcraft posted:

I'm putting together a bunch of Eastern Front boards for a Bolt Action event I'm running later this Spring so I've been scraping up any terrain I can on the cheap. I saw somewhere that Pegasus Hobbies 1:72 buildings are passable for 28mm miniatures so I picked up a couple sets since they were like $6 each.

Despite being all ostensibly the same scale there are some, uh, major size differences between individual buildings:

I assembled the one on the right first and was patting myself on the back for getting such a good deal for a nice building that looks pretty close to 28mm. The middle one had me doubting my decision. Leftmost one had me chuckling, it's like a quarter of the size of the one on the right.

The building mostly out-of-frame on the left is an actual 28mm cabin.

Ah well, win some, lose some.

The one on the far left could be a little shack. Cover the window!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I've seen some one-room shitholes in rural Texas not much bigger than that little one. I'm fully capable of believing something like that would exist in a tiny russian village in the 40.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I'm too lazy to take another pic but I put my StuG next to it and it's roughly the same size as it's fighting compartment.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

At a FOW mid-war tournament, this terrain is pretty sick.

I thought it would be a pain to actually play a game with that thing, but it turned out to not be a problem. It was ruled as a single large building, with the caveat that you could only place objectives in it if they touched the edge.

The tractor factory in the background is a repurporsed Reichstag model they made for a Berlin megagame last year. A huge improvement in my view. :ussr:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Geisladisk posted:

I thought it would be a pain to actually play a game with that thing, but it turned out to not be a problem. It was ruled as a single large building, with the caveat that you could only place objectives in it if they touched the edge.

The tractor factory in the background is a repurporsed Reichstag model they made for a Berlin megagame last year. A huge improvement in my view. :ussr:

Looking good! For 28mm, you could basically have the entire board be the inside of one of those large factories. Just place rubble and stuff.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Remember to have a cardboard box with "dead fascists" scrawled crudely across close at hand, and to throw all the associated models into it.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Geisladisk posted:

Please ask that guy for the details on how he made the Grain Elevator.

edit: Got distracted by the pretty terrain and forgot to ask the question I came here to ask.

So I've got more 8th Army stuff than I'd ever need to actually make a North Africa army. I'm trying to figure out what kind of force I can use the rest to make. Would it be historically inaccurate to use the 8th Army British/Commonwealth models to make a Pacific British/Indian/Australian force?

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 25, 2020

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Finished some more Italians, this time an AT gun and crew:

When I put static grass and bushes on the gun's base, I made sure to leave spots open so I could have crew members actually up close like they're servicing the gun:

I also finished a mortar battery spotter/FO:

This completes all of the minis I need for the upcoming events I'm running. Now it's just putting the finishing touches on the Italian Patrol Markers, building a couple of Jump-Off Points, and finishing up the terrain. I'm pretty happy with how it's all coming together!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Class Warcraft posted:

edit: Got distracted by the pretty terrain and forgot to ask the question I came here to ask.

So I've got more 8th Army stuff than I'd ever need to actually make a North Africa army. I'm trying to figure out what kind of force I can use the rest to make. Would it be historically inaccurate to use the 8th Army British/Commonwealth models to make a Pacific British/Indian/Australian force?

Should work fine afaik:

Perry has separate heads for other commonwealth troops (australians, new zeelanders etc). If you have the Perry 8th army box you can use that to convert them, but I think the heads would look too small if you have Warlord's 8th army minis.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Class Warcraft posted:

Apparently it's just a couple of blocks of styrofoam, plasticard, and enviable talent. The silos are tissue paper rolls, and he used a square magnet to press the windows in.

Day 1 of 2 of this tournament over, and I'm 0-3, and feel like every single one of those matches was lost due to easily preventable and super basic blunders. :shepicide:

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 25, 2020

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
So I took a break from feverish terrain construction to play with my kids this afternoon. My son (almost 9) has already been playing full-up Chain of Command, but my daughter is only 6, so we played with green and tan plastic army men. And because she loves to add complications, other toys got dragooned into the battle. I lost a two-man flamethrower team when they both got hit by a passing Hot Wheels car, and had a poor unfortunate corporal get eaten by a giant spider. :negative: Reduced to a Force Morale of 1 I desperately launched a reckless assault against his isolated Senior Leader, but the god of fisticuffs was not on my side - I only wounded him, but he killed my Senior Leader and broke the remainder of the squad in retaliation. Final result was my Force Morale reduced to zero, his Force Morale at 1, and my daughter's giant spider driven back to its lair to contemplate its next meal. A good time was had by all.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Geisladisk posted:

Hey, I also played in a Flames Mid-War tournament today! Hope you did better than I did 'cause boy howdy did I get my rear end kicked.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Geisladisk posted:

Day 1 of 2 of this tournament over, and I'm 0-3, and feel like every single one of those matches was lost due to easily preventable and super basic blunders. :shepicide:

Narrator: He did not.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Geisladisk posted:

Apparently it's just a couple of blocks of styrofoam, plasticard, and enviable talent. The silos are tissue paper rolls, and he used a square magnet to press the windows in.

Oh wow. Was there any interior modeled at all?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Class Warcraft posted:

Oh wow. Was there any interior modeled at all?

Nope, we had to put the models "inside" on the roof.

I managed to get a win, yay. Sat the last one out (we had an odd number of players), so 1-3. And I killed a Ferdinand, so I'm counting that as an extra win.

And I took a nice picture of my force lined up in front of the Reichstag-cum-tractor-factory for the best painted army lineup.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Geisladisk posted:

and he used a square magnet to press the windows in
so obvious :doh:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

So I finally got around to trying zenithal priming for my nappy stuff and... it's pretty neat? I also got around to assembling enough Avanpost miniatures to start up a batch, and they're just mindnumbingly detailed, on that heartbreaking edge where they are fiddly, prone to bend or break, takes ages to build, and just look amazing. Worth picking up a few just to be able to put them next to some of the worst offender of Gorilla Heads and laugh.

More details on the blog:

https://krigetkommer.weebly.com/napoleonics-blog/new-year-revolutions

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Class Warcraft posted:

Comedy option: Niemba massacre Irish.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Arquinsiel posted:

Comedy option: Niemba massacre Irish.

The OPFOR for those guys would be pretty fun to model, based on my extensive research of watching that one Netflix movie.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That was a year later, and they modernised fast in that year. Moved from the SMLE to the FAL and got appropriate uniforms for the heat. If you were to use 8th army figures you'd have to paint on the white pockets hanging down their legs because they turned up in green wool uniforms suitable for the Irish winter...

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Class Warcraft posted:

No, it would be fine. They used the same equipment. They even wore shorts due to places like Burma being both oppressively hot & humid.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
I'm painting a 15mm PSC Cromwell tank as a Birthday present for my gaming friend.

He loves British tanks and fought alongside British Guards in Iraq, so I'm painting it up as a part of the Armoured Recce Regiment of the Guards Armoured Division.

It's all done except for a tiny bit more weathering, and some pigments for rust and mud.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

D'awww, he's adorable!

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
I got my daylightlamp with magnifier in the mail today and now I feel like an idiot for not buying this as soon as I started painting again.

More of a chance to get my painting up to par with that really nice tank.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Wowshawk posted:

I got my daylightlamp with magnifier in the mail today and now I feel like an idiot for not buying this as soon as I started painting again.

More of a chance to get my painting up to par with that really nice tank.

I tried one of those once and couldn't bear using it. I'm looking forward to seeing what you can get out of it though.

Edit: I also made a regular Churchill tank turret to switch my AVRE out with. And a commander to fit too.

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 29, 2020

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I get a lot of use out of the light part of my magnifier light thing, but I never use the magnifying glass. Having an adjustable light is absolutely great though and I wouldn’t go back.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I couldn't deal with the magnifying either. Got dizzy almost immediately.

Finished the Cromwell. Will present it to him Saturday.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

That’s a very nice looking tank

Endman
May 18, 2010

Speaking of tanks, does anyone have a good recommendation for a Company level Cold War game?

What I'm looking for is something that doesn't take up a huge amount of room, since I don't have a very big table, so I was considering a Company at 6mm/1:285 scale.

Would Cold War Commander work with just a Company per side?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, it could. There's no restrictions other than min/max limits per 1k of forces. At 6mm with smaller number of units you could probably get away with a smaller table than the recommended 5'x4'.

Seven Days to the River Rhine has a relatively small model count, it's usable in 6mm as well. I'm looking forward to PSC's Battlegroup Northag which according to their website is supposed to drop next month but I doubt it. If that follows the Battlegroup WW2 format it'll be designed to easily scale down in game size.

Most recently I've been looking at F&F's Battlefront WW2. I know you said Cold War and on their website there's an exhaustive (and free!) conversion to that with the system. In terms of keeping model count small it's a scenario based game unlike the other two, but a general consensus is for a small game each player have two Maneuver Elements. As an example of those element's size here's a British Infantry Company: x1 Command HQ, x9 Infantry (3 w/MAW), x1 L9A1 51mm Mortar, x4 Bedford MK 4-Ton Truck. So not a crazy amount of stands or models, certainly not compared to something like FFoT3 or anything.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

https://twitter.com/Airfix/status/1221329442901020672

All of the room-spanning planes on wheeled bases, none of the grog

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
1:72 is "play at a convention on a huge table" level gaming for planes.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Yeah, that's super big scale for a dog-fighting wargame IMHO. I mean, even a single turning radius should require a pretty big room, right?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

lilljonas posted:

Yeah, that's super big scale for a dog-fighting wargame IMHO. I mean, even a single turning radius should require a pretty big room, right?

Just fight in the vertical! 109's and P51's will do it all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Doing some quick maths, with a listed turning radius of 686 feet a Spitfire in 1/72 will make a circle on a ten foot table with three inches to spare on either end.