Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Sardikar posted:

OK.

Rather than forensically picking apart the show so that I can post them behind spoilers to make myself feel intelligent and learned to other nerds on an anonymous message board, or acting like a redheaded hipster called Tarquin in a Melbourne wine bar making vague and uneducated attempts to describe the smell and flavor of a red wine to women WAY out of his league in and attempt to pick up...I enjoyed this episode and I am looking forward to watching another next week.

I don't really have a horse is this race but watching Goons on this forum try and rip apart shows like a toddler rips apart a soft loaf of bread is very funny.

gently caress off loser, you reek of insecurity.

The majority of the opinion is mixed and talking about what does and doesn't work for them.

Pump Jockey posted:

Or (former) Ensign Ro

MichiganCubbie posted:

Ensign Ro would have been perfect.

Right?!

Lizard Combatant posted:

Ah man, they should have sweet talked Michelle Forbes into coming back.

I'd totally buy Picard travelling on a marquis ship.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jan 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

So far this show is a piece of poo poo. Picking it apart is all there is to do right now. I wish there were positive things to say about, but not even Patrick Stewart is able to carry this poo poo.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Delthalaz posted:

I personally prefer this episode to the last one and was relieved it was slow and talky. I mean gently caress have you seen Star Trek The Next Generation? The only parts I didn’t like were the scenes with dumb romulan conspirators and borg ship sex.

I wasn't crazy about those scenes either. As more characters get introduced, we're going to start seeing less and less Picard. Since a lot of viewer hype was around the first episode and the first three episodes were given to critics to review, I have the feeling that these will be the heaviest with him before things start to shift more towards these new characters no one actually cares about.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sardikar posted:

I don't really have a horse is this race but watching Goons on this forum try and rip apart shows like a toddler rips apart a soft loaf of bread is very funny.

I liked both episodes so far too, but these forums are hardly unique in the mix of receptions. Weird dunk on people's critiques though. Star Trek nerds are drat Star Trek nerds! The GUI for ship computers and the fine differences between how far apart different Enterprises put the hotdogs n' tortilla are both common and acceptable matters of contention. You just gotta learn how to enjoy something even when everyone is being salty about it. It's not like these folks don't have valid points, but you don't gotta dislike something based on anything like that.

Delthalaz posted:

The only parts I didn’t like were the scenes with dumb romulan conspirators and borg ship sex.

The latter seemed appropriate to me, maybe a little coy. They're in the home of the Bondage Aliens!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Bilirubin posted:

Computer: Salisbury Steak; Hungry Man.

Earth, Hitler, 1939

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Wild speculation: Surak, founder of modern Vulcan thought on Logic and suppressing emotions, was an android. That's why the Romulans hate them.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

8one6 posted:

Wild speculation: Surak, founder of modern Vulcan thought on Logic and suppressing emotions, was an android. That's why the Romulans hate them.

Enterprise showed he was just a normal dude. That said, it he was an android, it would explain how he was able to download himself into the brains of other people like Archer so easily :tinfoil:

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Katra is just an usb stick they insert up your rear end.

Also, if ST PIC is a loving BSG restart then Im okay with it!

ZeroPrimal
Feb 24, 2010

The slave becomes the master.
Seems weird to me to hear the word “gently caress” used in Star Trek.

Sardikar
Sep 27, 2004
I cant think of anything to put here.

large_gourd posted:

So your way of getting a little ego boost is to come in and pick apart the nerds who are picking apart the nerdy show. It's all the same game, their version doesn't rely on making someone else feel bad though.

Naaaaa I was just thinking about it through it was funny what my fevered brain cooked up.

Take it easy!

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Lizard Combatant posted:

Why are there working stiffs on Mars complaining about the lovely conditions, talking like contemporary dock workers in the heart of the Federation fleet shipyards?

(I know, I know - they're building the evacuation fleet)

Stuff like that feels just a wee bit uncreative, like they have to fall back on cliche either so the audience isn't too alienated or because they don't actually see the incongruity of having these working class type characters in this setting. I kept waiting for someone to get their pay docked for not clocking in on time.

I'm not saying this makes the show bad. I'm approaching it just from the perspective of a writer that gets to imagine the future and it'd be like seeing a teacher, frustrated because their school's underfunded and class sizes keep getting bigger.

I know the old shows wisely avoided showing much of how Earth works because it's a bit of a minefield, but if you're going to do it then at least show me some far out new future society, not slapping a star trek skin on stock modern day professions.

Really? I've had that cello line stuck in my head all week.

The workers were either:
a. criminals working as part of their sentence
b. working in the shipyards to pay for, or as prerequisite to entering Starfleet.

Goldilocks in Space:
Discovery is too fast-paced, too much happens, captains can ignore political constraints and do whatever they want.
Picard is too slow-paced, not much happens, too much political intrigue bogs down the plot.
_______ (Your favourite ST series from the past) had perfect balance why couldn't they do the same thing in the same way again.

I'm really enjoying that many people in the show are questioning whether Picard is right or not in his faith in AI/synths, and in his plan, and he has to work around his prior actions like quitting and insulting Star Fleet.

Short Trek plot: Contemporary Michael Dorn sitting in make-up chair. It looks like he's been there for hours. Klingon prosthetic forehead is half on. Suddenly he stands, shouts, "I said this was a bad idea and I've had enough! Not doing this again! Kirkman can keep his money and kiss my rear end, I'm a loving actor not a cosplay kid getting ready for a con!"

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Binary Logic posted:

The workers were either:
a. criminals working as part of their sentence
b. working in the shipyards to pay for, or as prerequisite to entering Starfleet.

Either of those could be legit interesting if they were in any way supported by the text.

quote:

Goldilocks in Space:
Discovery is too fast-paced, too much happens, captains can ignore political constraints and do whatever they want.
Picard is too slow-paced, not much happens, too much political intrigue bogs down the plot.
_______ (Your favourite ST series from the past) had perfect balance why couldn't they do the same thing in the same way again.

There's an inevitable resistance to new things by a subset of the audience, but I think you're misrepresenting most people's criticism here, which is a lack of coherency in the writing (Discovery in particular, but some cracks are starting to show in Picard). I don't think anyone has a blanket dislike of good action or mysteries? I personally have no issue with fast paced adventure or slow political drama, many of my favourite things fall into either category.

quote:

Short Trek plot: Contemporary Michael Dorn sitting in make-up chair. It looks like he's been there for hours. Klingon prosthetic forehead is half on. Suddenly he stands, shouts, "I said this was a bad idea and I've had enough! Not doing this again! Kirkman can keep his money and kiss my rear end, I'm a loving actor not a cosplay kid getting ready for a con!"

Lol, Michael Dorn is the most likely of any of them to be down to return to the role.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jan 31, 2020

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Comedy answer: Q.

Honestly though, the doctor scene also felt kinda weird- if the doctor is a nobody, I don't know why that scene's really necessary, especially if all Picard has to do is say "are you going to do it" and he gives him the nod. It felt like they wrote that scene for Beverly Crusher, and then retconned it to be an old buddy from the stargazer.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Panzeh posted:

Comedy answer: Q.

Honestly though, the doctor scene also felt kinda weird- if the doctor is a nobody, I don't know why that scene's really necessary, especially if all Picard has to do is say "are you going to do it" and he gives him the nod. It felt like they wrote that scene for Beverly Crusher, and then retconned it to be an old buddy from the stargazer.

A lot of scenes seemed written for Notable Characters and then retooled for someone Picard knows but we don't, to me. Might just be my fan brain, though. Admiral loving Hubris could have been Nechayev or even Janeway, with no changes at all.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

ZeroPrimal posted:

Seems weird to me to hear the word “gently caress” used in Star Trek.

and that's precisely why I worked for me - the reaction on Picard's face when he's talked down to that way is priceless, and adds a bit of much needed realism to the prim and proper attitudes of TNG. It's jarring and unexpected on purpose to illustrate just how far Starfleet has moved past this crazy old man. Some might argue we'd evolve past such parlances by 2400 or that it's out of line with how Gene saw the future, but honestly gently caress Gene's conflict-free first few years of TNG because that's never going to be how humans act even in the most idyllic settings.

Starfleet has never been more than the individuals on the ground who choose to uphold the values or not, all the way back to Ronald Tracey.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Kind of unsatisfying to me that they had to create a NEW villainous Big Bad Secret Organization instead of letting it just be the Tal Shiar. I hate one-upmanship when all the entities involved have been established for going on thirty years. It cheapens Picard's history with the Romulans and Tal Shiar, especially when you factor in the character of Sela.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Zutaten posted:

A lot of scenes seemed written for Notable Characters and then retooled for someone Picard knows but we don't, to me. Might just be my fan brain, though. Admiral loving Hubris could have been Nechayev or even Janeway, with no changes at all.

Janeway fans would be absolutely losing their minds with fury if she was in that role, come on. Nechayev sure.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The idea that Romulans are androids would be a bit much for me to believe after how long they have been in the franchise. Now, maybe the secret organization’s leader could be an android, but there’s no way they could have kept that kind of secret for centuries.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
They probably should have released the first three episodes (at least) together. A lot of this episode’s problems come from the fact that it’s obviously a bridge from “Picard gets involved” to “Picard gets a boat and goes to space”. Like a lot of Disco episodes, it doesn’t have too much plot in itself.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

That's actually something I've grown a little weary of. Both Disco and Picard have dwelled on how everything got started and why certain characters are brought together, which is certainly something worth examining... But I can't help but feel Star Trek works best if you either start with a crew and introduce them as a lump sum or bring a new character into an existing crew to help the audience learn.

In essence, what I'm feeling from Picard right now is that we're chatting in the tavern and doing knowledge checks, when I really want to get out and explore the continent.

Edit: Christ I need to proofread better...

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 31, 2020

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

rando old dude should totally have been crusher why does george lucas hate his fans?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Brawnfire posted:

That's actually something I've grown a little weary of. I'm both Disco and Picard have dwelled on how everything got started and why certain characters are brought together, which is certainly something worth examining... But I can't help but feel Star Trek works best if you either start with a crew and either introduce them as a lump sum or bring a new character into an existing crew to help the audience learn.

In essence, what I'm feeling from Picard right now is that we're chatting in the tavern and doing knowledge checks, when I really want to get out and explore the continent.

Yeah it’s not good if you’re not binge watching which...you can’t do in this case because CBS doesn’t want you to.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

skasion posted:

They probably should have released the first three episodes (at least) together. A lot of this episode’s problems come from the fact that it’s obviously a bridge from “Picard gets involved” to “Picard gets a boat and goes to space”. Like a lot of Disco episodes, it doesn’t have too much plot in itself.

Agreed. It feels like it was either an over long pilot episode that got split up rather than trimmed, or they padded it out.

Much of 2 is the characters catching up with the audience and there are scenes in both that only exist to have a lead in the episode. You could very easily cut whole scenes like Alison Pill's scene from ep2 and Beardo Romulan/Soji's intro from ep 1 and start their story in media res. Lose Commodore O entirely for now and reveal the Romulan plot when Jane the Romulan holograms into Beardo's room. That'd probably get you close to a long pilot ep with a few more trims.

Man I need to start learning their names.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jan 31, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It's the year 2020 and you're working on a show that is clearly intended for both broadcast and streaming. Can you please figure out a way to not make the commercial break cuts so jarring when there are actually none inserted? Maybe just insert a short three second blackout. Jump cuts from DRAMATIC REVEAL MUSIC to unconnected following scene don't work if there's no buffer.

I'm enjoying this show for what it is but I've been really at my limit with "artificial life/synthetics/robots that look like people" thing that every sci-fi show has done to death in the past ten or fifteen years and I'm looking forward to the day when every other show doesn't rely on "they're just like us but SUPERHUMANS"

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

oh but seriously I posted:

rando old dude should totally have been crusher why does george lucas hate his fans?

I mean the scene is written as if the relationship of these two is significant to the plot, or this is someone important, but no, it's just Picard talking to a rando to learn about his health condition. That scene could've easily been cut and nothing would've been lost, if there's no character opposite Picard here.

Lizard Combatant posted:

Agreed. It feels like it was either an over long pilot episode that got split up rather than trimmed, or they padded it out.

Much of 2 is the characters catching up with the audience and there are scenes in both that only exist to have a lead in the episode. You could very easily cut whole scenes like Alison Pill's scene from ep2 and Beardo Romulan/Soji's intro from ep 1 and start their story in media res. Lose Commodore O entirely for now and reveal the Romulan plot when Jane the Romulan holograms into Beardo's room. That'd probably get you close to a long pilot ep with a few more trims.

Man I need to start learning their names.

Yeah, I can see this being better on a binge, but there's a lot of cruft here, too, which is very strange.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Have people turned on this show already just because we haven't got to the Riker factory yet?

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

All I'm saying is I want it to be exactly how I imagined the show would be.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

There's a lot I've been pleasantly surprised by that the trailer made me dread, I won't lie. The whole cube thing seemed like an internment camp, so finding out it's a scientific venture is really refreshing.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Brawnfire posted:

There's a lot I've been pleasantly surprised by that the trailer made me dread, I won't lie. The whole cube thing seemed like an internment camp, so finding out it's a scientific venture is really refreshing.

Yeah, the scene where they go to work is actually really cool.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Brawnfire posted:

That's the part I'm most invested in too. A post Borg collective story could be really interesting, where do millions of ex drones from all over the galaxy go?

It's kind of funny that the jumping off point for the show is a thoughtless line from Trek 09 when they had a story with all of the same themes, but with better motivation for the Federation and personal relevance to Picard just sitting there.

Hopefully we still get something good out of it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

It can be both.

You strip sixteen drones, what do you get
Another day older and deeper in debt

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
[Sisko voice] No! Don’t you see? All new Star Trek is bad!!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

nine-gear crow posted:

Every time the Borg appeared from TNG to Voyager to even Enterprise there was always some new bullshit thing introduced about them to keep them from becoming static, so it's no surprise Picard is pulling more rabbits out of that hat too.

The Borg showed up on Enterprise? Did the crew forget to write anything about them down, or something?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

thrawn527 posted:

The Borg showed up on Enterprise? Did the crew forget to write anything about them down, or something?

Maybe they all agreed to never mention them again or something?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The whole thing about the Tal Shiar having a super secret extremist compact is actually way more plausible than you'd think. The Tal Shiar itself aren't exactly a well-kept secret, and the Romulans like it that way to have them as a deterrent, so there's easily for an actual secret agency within them. Plus, these ridiculous plots-within-plots and redundant competing agencies have a ridiculous amount of precedent in human history alone, just look at the US intelligence apparatus and how CIA-backed Syrians are fighting Pentagon-backed Syrians. If anything, finally the species whose entire thing is intrigue and spycraft finally have some actual intrigue.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Lizard Combatant posted:

That's the part I'm most invested in too. A post Borg collective story could be really interesting, where do millions of ex drones from all over the galaxy go?

The Collective was crippled, not gone forever. Borg collective lives, just thrown back to its origin in DQ.

thrawn527 posted:

Erm the whole premise that these were borg that received the signal from First Contact borgs in 2063 and went to investigate, crashed on the pole and were suddenly reactivated by 2150's scientists who were turned into borg, stole a shuttle, modified it and not got away but sent a signal to DQ. Sub-Commander T'Pol states it would take almost 200 years to reach its destination, but Archer remains troubled. That would lead us to TNG clash with borg.
Retconning poo poo is hard.

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 31, 2020

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

Well, to be fair to that episode, it at least made more continuity sense than the Ferengi episode of Enterprise.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The whole thing about the Tal Shiar having a super secret extremist compact is actually way more plausible than you'd think. The Tal Shiar itself aren't exactly a well-kept secret, and the Romulans like it that way to have them as a deterrent, so there's easily for an actual secret agency within them. Plus, these ridiculous plots-within-plots and redundant competing agencies have a ridiculous amount of precedent in human history alone, just look at the US intelligence apparatus and how CIA-backed Syrians are fighting Pentagon-backed Syrians. If anything, finally the species whose entire thing is intrigue and spycraft finally have some actual intrigue.

The whole "you know them as the Secret Police, well that's pretty redundant where every part of our culture is secretive" is what sold that to me.

I understand the resistance to the concept coming off the back of the super uncreative obsession trek has had with section 31 for a while, but for the Romulans it definitely works.

AntherUslessPoster posted:

The Collective was crippled, not gone forever. Borg collective lives, just thrown back to its origin in DQ.

Ok? I'm talking hypothetical premises here.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jan 31, 2020

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Just rampant spitballing, but the conversation has made me think on this: So the scifi book that gets noted in the last episode is an Issac Asimov one. The meta plot that ties all the robot and foundation series together is that the androids decided that it was in humanities best interest that they didn't have robots, and they go forward with a lot of super secret squirrel poo poo to ensure that this happens, including irradiating the entire planet Earth to push people to the stars. It's probably not what's going on, but it was an interesting thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

It's not much better though. It's a Borg cube, controlled by the Romulans and clearly wanted to be worked on in secret, yet they are just hiring random people around the galaxy to work and live there? This entire Borg plot thing is so confusing right now. Like, I get revealing stuff slowly, but this is just written like fan fiction and is only there because its cool.