Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Hamelekim posted:

If China's totalitarian government incompetence leads to a global plague killing millions, I will laugh my rear end off as the leadership is beaten to death in the streets.

Lol if you think there will be anyone left to do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

but what about Nixon's Legacy?!?!?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i think we have learned a few lessons so far

1. dont eat bat soup
2. if you have the big flu, stay home from work
3. dont lock down 50+ million people
4. ?????
5. maybe this is the big one
6. :jackbud:

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

2 positive cases in the UK this morning

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

kecske posted:

Just in time for brexit day.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

alphabettitouretti posted:

Just in time for brexit day.

Good they should have extra money for the NHS now

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

kecske posted:

The real takeaway from this news is that they are not any of the ones that they have contained in the special area of that hospital that they took people from Wuhan to.

They didn’t say where these two cases came from.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

I haven't died yet

This is bullshit!!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Fairly loving stupid to not tell us where they’re from.
If they’ve been to Bicester village, which they probably have, it would be good for people to fuckin know.

bones 4 beginners
Jan 7, 2018

"...a masterpiece that no one can read too often, or admire too much."

Myriarch posted:

Is it possible the major epidemic spread in Wuhan, China was all fomite transmission and CNC is actually really bad at airborne transmission? Apparently most hand washing in central China is done with just water, no soap. If all it takes is a little soap it could explain the low international (and Shanghai) secondary transmission rate.

A single doorknob or knife in the Wuhan seafood market could have been a super spreader in December of a previously not so contagious disease.

I don't know anything about the medical stuff you're asking but I can confirm as somebody who lived in Wuhan that you were lucky if public/customer restrooms had working faucets. Hand soap was rare.

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
"A fomes or fomite is any inanimate object, that when contaminated with or exposed to infectious agents, such as pathogenic bacteria, viruses or fungi, can transfer disease to a new host. For humans, skin cells, hair, clothing, and bedding are common hospital sources of contamination of fomites."

Fomite

Kompromat

Disninformatskaya

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bape Culture posted:

Fairly loving stupid to not tell us where they’re from.
If they’ve been to Bicester village, which they probably have, it would be good for people to fuckin know.

It’s probably that they won’t want to incite the people in that community but there could be people living there that have symptoms that are caulking it up to the regular flu.

They should say where they are from though.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I wanted to share this galaxy brain guy with you all:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jan/31/british-man-and-his-family-miss-evacuation-flight-from-wuhan

In short, a British man and his family missed the FCO organised evacuation from the city, because:

• He claims that they didn't want to go at first because taking his newborn son on a flight "posed risks of its own". This was on a flight schedules to leave at 5am and they needed to be at the airport for 1am.
  • Once they were told the flight had been delayed a bit, they decided to change their mind (apparently the delayed flight being less risky I guess?)
  • They struggled to find a car to get to the airport, so the Foreign Office sent a car to collect them.
  • They say the car had trouble finding where they were, and when it arrived they only had 15 minutes to get to the airport, so "they decided to go home"

I can sort of appreciate that if you're holed up in a house with plenty of food and you've come into contact with no one at all then going on a plane may expose your son, but I don't think they are likely to have had prepper levels of food supplies.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Can anyone translate this? The way the cartoonist writes the Chinese characters is like chicken scratch to my CSL eyes. :(

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kitchner posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jan/31/british-man-and-his-family-miss-evacuation-flight-from-wuhan

In short, a British man and his family missed the FCO organised evacuation from the city, because:

• He claims that they didn't want to go at first because taking his newborn son on a flight "posed risks of its own". This was on a flight schedules to leave at 5am and they needed to be at the airport for 1am.
  • Once they were told the flight had been delayed a bit, they decided to change their mind (apparently the delayed flight being less risky I guess?)
  • They struggled to find a car to get to the airport, so the Foreign Office sent a car to collect them.
  • They say the car had trouble finding where they were, and when it arrived they only had 15 minutes to get to the airport, so "they decided to go home"

I can sort of appreciate that if you're holed up in a house with plenty of food and you've come into contact with no one at all then going on a plane may expose your son, but I don't think they are likely to have had prepper levels of food supplies.

Lol what a dummy.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Kate_M_Proctor/status/1223194976441585664

https://twitter.com/Kate_M_Proctor/status/1223196373333565441

The NHS aren't saying if the two infected have been in Wuhan or not :tinfoil:

e:

quote:

The PA news agency has more details on the two UK’s first two coronavirus patients.

Two members of the same family have tested positive for coronavirus in England, the agency reports, adding that sources said they are being treated at a hospital in Newcastle.

On Wednesday night, an apartment-hotel in Yorkshire was put on lockdown when a man, understood to be a Chinese national, was taken to hospital after falling ill. The man, who was a guest at the Staycity Hotel in the centre of York, was taken to hospital, together with family members, by medics.

welp, gently caress knows how many people this dude has spread it to

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jan 31, 2020

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Bardeh posted:

fittingly, they are now in Newcastle, perhaps drawn to disaster magnet and forums mod Jose

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bardeh posted:

https://twitter.com/Kate_M_Proctor/status/1223194976441585664

https://twitter.com/Kate_M_Proctor/status/1223196373333565441

e:

welp, gently caress knows how many people this dude has spread it to

loving hell

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Kitchner posted:

There is no shortage of food in all supermarkets except masks, but yeah you got to ask some friend to do you a favorite and drive you to the airport.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Can anyone translate this? The way the cartoonist writes the Chinese characters is like chicken scratch to my CSL eyes. :(

Your lucky your son is/was a protest radical (and therefore has an industrial mask)

It's wrong type of mask though so this joke failed.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Livin' life one pitta mask at a time boys

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

stephenthinkpad posted:

There is no shortage of food in all supermarkets except masks, but yeah you got to ask some friend to do you a favorite and drive you to the airport.

If the logic is that you're all healthy but getting your newborn son on a plane full of evacuees may expose him to the disease (true) then the supermarkets being full of food doesn't help you, as by leaving to go to the supermarket, hiring someone to bring you food, or even just accepting food from outside your non infected home is introducing an element that could infect you, in which case its better to be on the plane flying back to the UK than stick in China.

Personally I think he's just one of those morons who thinks everyone overreact to something and like stays in their home despite being told to leave and then does a surprised pikachu face when they nearly die in a food or whatever.

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum

Myriarch posted:

Is it possible the major epidemic spread in Wuhan, China was all fomite transmission and CNC is actually really bad at airborne transmission? Apparently most hand washing in central China is done with just water, no soap. If all it takes is a little soap it could explain the low international (and Shanghai) secondary transmission rate.

Confirmed case in France of a GP being infected during a consultation with a infected person. I would hope a doctor was taking greater precautions than merely using a little soap.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Kitchner posted:

If the logic is that you're all healthy but getting your newborn son on a plane full of evacuees may expose him to the disease (true) then the supermarkets being full of food doesn't help you, as by leaving to go to the supermarket, hiring someone to bring you food, or even just accepting food from outside your non infected home is introducing an element that could infect you, in which case its better to be on the plane flying back to the UK than stick in China.

Personally I think he's just one of those morons who thinks everyone overreact to something and like stays in their home despite being told to leave and then does a surprised pikachu face when they nearly die in a food or whatever.

Well going into an empty supermarket for 20 minutes and stock up for 2 weeks of food is much lower risk than sitting in the enclosed airplane for 15? Hours with 200 people.

Also I don't know how old his baby is, but if his baby is over 6 month, you literally can not keep the baby in the seat. We flew over pacific ocean w my 9 month old baby. Both me and my wife had to carry him up and down the airplane ailes non stop for about 6 hours. I had to bring him to the bathroom 10 times to let him tear apart the toilet paper.

Also the food thing was your argument, not his argument. I was just pointing it out to you food supply is not a problem.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The "changing your mind and deciding to go once the plane is delayed" makes it look more like the reason was not wanting to go to the airport at 1am and then have to stay awake for several more hours.

Which, fair enough, I wouldn't want to do either, but it feels a bit strange for that to be the final sticking point that changes your decision about whether to evacuate or not.

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
I work with 90 people who havent caught it once but Ive caught it 90 times and Im now the CEO

Suck it losers.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

A Grand Egg posted:

I work with 90 people who havent caught it once but Ive caught it 90 times and Im now the CEO

Suck it losers.
Congrats

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://mobile.twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1223224060404027392

https://mobile.twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1223213912264409088

https://mobile.twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1223196770085285889

https://mobile.twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1223193926670200833

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

We dead.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

:woop:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
unfortunately we're just likely to get sick, it's the old and infirm (those lucky fucks!) who get to enjoy the sweet release of death

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Italy has ruined a couple of my plague inc viruses and been the only people left alive before so this tracks.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I am willing to pay the price if the supposed kill ratio is 1:5:25 between children, young men and boomers.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Mozi posted:

unfortunately we're just likely to get sick, it's the old and infirm (those lucky fucks!) who get to enjoy the sweet release of death

Dibs on their stuff

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Enfys posted:

That is a problem with this new virus not having a short catchy name.

If you google "coronavirus symptoms" you will likely get common symptoms for the general coronavirus family, not this specific novel virus which everyone is just referring to as "coronavirus"

The WHO is recommending "2019-nCoV acute respiratory disease" which is definitely going to catch on any second

Coronavirus
Acute
Respiratory
Disease

CARDs (against humanity)

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Swine Flu is a pretty cool name.

Spanish Flu is too racist

SARS never got a cool name.

nCoV should be called "The Bat Soup"

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

https://twitter.com/elliotwagland/status/1223238440713584641

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Well it don’t matter now that shits already in the UK!

I do want to know the time table for those two cases already there.

When they left China when they landed in the UK and when they presented. 14 days seems long but 7 seems like it might be right?

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

It doesn't look like they're going to tell us poo poo about those two patients unfortunately. They're from up north though I gather since they're being treated in Newcastle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Chrs posted:

It doesn't look like they're going to tell us poo poo about those two patients unfortunately. They're from up north though I gather since they're being treated in Newcastle

Let's just wall off the north like in Doomsday.