Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Eej posted:

Dream Trawler is basically the textbook definition of "splash for this one card"

Worth it to the point that there is strong consideration to force white or blue pack one in case of a pack 2/3 Dream Trawler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

axeil posted:

On the topic of LGSs needing to pay people in wizard poker scrip, have any stores figured out they primarily exist as a way for people to play the game and start charging covers or table fees? Seems like this would solve a lot of the problem of the financial squeeze between WOTC and the costs of retail.

A lot of people don't like paying for a table, they feel like they should get product out of it.
It's dumb, but I'm just saying what I've seen from stores near me.

One does say there's a table fee, but it's waived if you spend at least a tenner in a transaction, and if you're there for FNM or whatever that's pretty good cover.
Tbh if you're a regular it's probably if ores anyway, but I'm willing to bet it comes into play with the Yu-Gi-Oh crowd.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
D&D groups don't seem to have objections to paying for tables, I guess TCG players are already paying for cards etc. so charging for tables too makes it feel like the store is double-dipping?

I like the idea of a minimum spend that some of you have mentioned.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
going to a game store when they're not running an event that you'd have to pay for anyway is totally alien to me anyway. that's what kitchen tables (or university common spaces) are for

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

ungulateman posted:

going to a game store when they're not running an event that you'd have to pay for anyway is totally alien to me anyway. that's what kitchen tables (or university common spaces) are for

Not everyone has access to a university common space, and meeting up in town instead of everyone making their way to your place can be a lot more convenient, especially after work.

It's a flaw with our capitalist society, there's few places you can exist, outside your own home, that don't cost you to be there.

Libraries don't even work for this, because good luck keeping the 5man EDH group quiet

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

axeil posted:

On the topic of LGSs needing to pay people in wizard poker scrip, have any stores figured out they primarily exist as a way for people to play the game and start charging covers or table fees? Seems like this would solve a lot of the problem of the financial squeeze between WOTC and the costs of retail.

90% of stores in NYC do this. But most of them also have a threshold that if you spend $X at the store or enter a paid tournament, the fee is waved.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

The presence of a game library also sweetens the pot for this. There's a board game cafe in Boston that functions as half coffee shop / half de facto board game "streaming subscription" and I imagine that's quite common elsewhere.

Of course the real ticket is functioning as a bar, but spilled booze does not get along with arbitrarily expensive cardboard.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ilmucche posted:

Yeah but if the board doesn't want to give them a licence the owner can tell them "screw the rules, I have money" and they'll get licenced.

That is absolutely not how it works in many states. In a number of places, the number of liquor licenses is capped, and if you want one you need to buy it from someone else who's looking to sell.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
My LGS is well lit and offers snacks, sodas, energy drinks, and has a board game library. They also have clearly marked signage for different board games, Warhammer, Dungeons and Dragons, and even some pre-owned old video games. I'm pretty sure they're going for the premium thing. I'm also a member there so I give them 10 bucks a month and get a discount on cards and some other small perks. They also have board game nights at some restaurants in town and go to nearby conventions with a booth. They are no where near StarCityGames level, but they are only a couple hours away from it.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
When I was in second grade I "worked" after school at the local card shop because the owner didn't know a thing about magic. It was so long ago I can't even remember what I did other than show the guy how to look up card prices in Scrye magazine and the only compensation I remember getting is

e: in retrospect thats a cool, if overcosted, card. and skeletons riding flying turtles is very Da Share Zone

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

My LGS has a table fee of 3 bucks, but it goes on a store gift card and any purchase of at least 3 bucks covers it. You could just buy a soda and a sandwich for while you play D&D and you'd be covered.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Salvor_Hardin posted:

When I was in second grade I "worked" after school at the local card shop because the owner didn't know a thing about magic. It was so long ago I can't even remember what I did other than show the guy how to look up card prices in Scrye magazine and the only compensation I remember getting is

e: in retrospect thats a cool, if overcosted, card. and skeletons riding flying turtles is very Da Share Zone

LOL that owns. Put it in a Grixis commander pile with The Scorpion God and have a fun time at a super casual table.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

My LGS would be even deader if they tried to charge for hanging out, even though they do have a pretty decent game library. People would already rather stay at home and drink or smoke weed while they play commander, so they don't really need another excuse. And the public library is literally in the same building, so there's always that option for table space.

Oh drat, I just remembered I used to play Shadowrun at that library like 25 years ago. :allears:

odiv fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 30, 2020

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Literally never noticed the skeletons on turtles until just now.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Phanatic posted:

That is absolutely not how it works in many states. In a number of places, the number of liquor licenses is capped, and if you want one you need to buy it from someone else who's looking to sell.

I think you've taken "screw the rules I have money" way too seriously.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Eej posted:

Dream Trawler is basically the textbook definition of "splash for this one card"

There are plenty of formats where I think this type of splashing is wrong, but this format is rather extreme on the slow/grindy side, reminds me a bit of Dominaria in that regard, and so it's definitely right here.

PJOmega posted:

Worth it to the point that there is strong consideration to force white or blue pack one in case of a pack 2/3 Dream Trawler.

I'm definitely not passing on the two strongest colors pack 1 in the hopes I get a busted rare in later packs. Green and Black are just way too good in this format.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I reckon that would be playable in limited at 4cmc. Blocks something small, makes something big smaller, messes up combat maths.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Apparently something called magic:Mana strike was released today. Its a f2p mobile game so uh, probably not great

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Just adding to LGSchat, running a retail store is a special kind of hell and will crush most people’s spirits in short order. Those who enjoy it and run one properly don’t get near the reward they should.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
You’re extremely luck with your LGS experience if you think rules that amount to “make your store not a dank closet” are specifically to damage customers.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
I wouldn’t force blue white just in the hopes of seeing dream trawler but green white is v, v solid in this format and if you’re in green you can usually splash whatever you want especially if you have some caryatids or omen of the hunts.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

mandatory lesbian posted:

Apparently something called magic:Mana strike was released today. Its a f2p mobile game so uh, probably not great
It looks like a horizontal Clash Royale but I haven’t had a chance to try it yet

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
idk what it was called but the arena twitch extension everyone used before was better than the one everyone uses now. (haven't watched any streams in a long while).

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Extremely necessary and good
https://twitter.com/aceanddeuceMTG/status/1223089149885874182

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Lol, no shorts or sandals. Gotta look professional while playing a children's card game!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Someone call the fashion police!

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
The fact they had to say "if you wear smelly clothes or smell yourself we will penalize you" is astounding. Why is it only magic players seem to have an issue with grooming themselves?

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

axeil posted:

The fact they had to say "if you wear smelly clothes or smell yourself we will penalize you" is astounding. Why is it only magic players seem to have an issue with grooming themselves?

Oh you sweet summer child

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

axeil posted:

I have heard it's a pretty common problem for Yu-Gi-Oh players too.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

axeil posted:

Its more a man problem specifically, MTG just has a heavy bent of male players

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

axeil posted:

This is also a big issue with gaming/anime conventions.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
The gently caress is this?

Literally unplayable

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Lol what

Triggers constellation, repeatable aura, can be a kill spell with context.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

GoutPatrol posted:

Lol what

Yeah but when have any of those effects ever been playable

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

GoutPatrol posted:

Lol what

Sure but it should be Mogis' Favor

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Literally unplayable

Do you play Draft or Sealed ever?

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Sure but it should be Mogis' Favor

Nope, since Mogis is singular, you still add apostrophe then s.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

TacoNight posted:

i thought either was correct, and it's just a question of following style guides

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

TacoNight posted:

Huh, I guess you're right. Mostly right anyway!

quote:

The examples given in the Chicago Manual include “Kansas’s legislature,” “Marx’s theories,” “Dickens’s novels,” “Berlioz’s works,” “Borges’s library,” “Camus’s novels,” and “Jesus’s adherents.”

The manual goes on to say: “Some writers and publishers prefer the system, formerly more common, of simply omitting the possessive s on all words ending in s—hence ‘Dylan Thomas’ poetry,’ ‘Etta James’ singing,’ and ‘that business’ main concern.’ Though easy to apply and economical, such usage disregards pronunciation and is therefore not recommended by Chicago.”

It looks weird to me. Anyway I'm trying to craft a UB Thassa Deep Dwelling Escape/Enchantment deck and it's a good card to me also I have never made a deck before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Literally unplayable

It's very solid in limited, hth.