Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Just caught up on all the overnight news

Hahahahaha

Hahaha

:sickos:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/WilliamYang120/status/1223256325674524672

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
I'm going to make a prediction that this whole thing will cause the Tokyo Summer Olympics to be cancelled. This virus is not something that can be dealt with in just few months.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

BoldFace posted:

I'm going to make a prediction that this whole thing will cause the Tokyo Summer Olympics to be cancelled. This virus is not something that can be dealt with in just few months.

Rainbow Six was a documentary.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

He's going to somehow infect like all of Rhode Island and then also give it to the Chinese by accident

Tijuana Donkeyshow
Jan 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/thelancet/status/1223258649822474241?s=21

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SKULL.GIF posted:

Rainbow Six was a documentary.

Lmao its true

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

needs see-through panties to protect his eyes

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1223258502522720260?s=20

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

*quarantines over 50M people*

:byodood: NO NEED FOR PANIC OR EXCESSIVE MEASURES!!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

RandomBlue posted:

*quarantines over 50M people*

:byodood: NO NEED FOR PANIC OR EXCESSIVE MEASURES!!

I mean yeah quarantining over 50 million people still isn't excessive at this point

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer

These geeks need to put their spreadsheets away that Respiratory expert said two days ago this would be done in a week. Guess someone's gotta feed the NEWS so they can scare us all.

edit: One interesting note is in how low they have WenZhou in their graph upto Jan 25th given the news earlier in the thread that they now have the most cases outside of Wuhan.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1223213912264409088

pigz fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 31, 2020

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
50 million in a country of 1.4 billion is, what, 3.6% of China's population?

That's like the US quarantining like 11.6 million people, which coincidentally is the population of the state of Ohio

So it's like if the US quarantined all of Ohio in response to a disease outbreak

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

MarcusSA posted:

what the loving hell??

If you've never had CAP, I can see how this would be seemingly out of this world

But yeah, if your oxygen sats drop into the 80's, its really easy to just suddenly become exhausted and pass out. I did it in the hallway getting a drink of water as a Junior in college when I had a flu turn into CAP.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

vyelkin posted:

50 million in a country of 1.4 billion is, what, 3.6% of China's population?

That's like the US quarantining like 11.6 million people, which coincidentally is the population of the state of Ohio

So it's like if the US quarantined all of Ohio in response to a disease outbreak

I'm now in favor of quarantines

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

pigz posted:

These geeks need to put their spreadsheets away that Respiratory expert said two days ago this would be done in a week. Guess someone's gotta feed the NEWS so they can scare us all.

ya lmao at all these doomsayer goons and excel dweebs. it’s wrapped up in <5 days and will be no more; the experts have said so and they know what they’re saying. oh but I forget goons think they’re so much smarter than the EXPERTSS fuking goons man

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

like if you've never had the flu -> pneumonia route, I can see how it might seem a little outlandish. But the line between upper respiratory stuff where you're sick but still moving around and whoo boy my oxygen is dropping is actually a pretty thin line.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

can't wait till we all get fluid in our lungs from viral pneumonia and have to take the pill that literally makes you pee non-stop for 36 hours

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

you can also faint after a blood test. probably a lot of those going on at the moment

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

also we should probably find a better balance between 'solved in 5 days' and 'the apocalypse'

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

pigz posted:

edit: One interesting note is in how low they have WenZhou in their graph upto Jan 25th given the news earlier in the thread that they now have the most cases outside of Wuhan.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1223213912264409088

I'd also point out if the true number of cases of 2019-nCoV in Wuhan is nearly 76,000 then both the number of cases that become serious/critical and the overall mortality rate is significantly lower than is being reported.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Schnorkles posted:

can't wait till we all get fluid in our lungs from viral pneumonia and have to take the pill that literally makes you pee non-stop for 36 hours

Boss makes a dollar
I make a dime
That's why I catch
Diseases that give me an excuse to pee non-stop for 36 hours

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Boss makes a dollar
I make a dime
That's why I catch
Diseases that give me an excuse to pee non-stop for 36 hours

Boss makes a dollar
I make a dime
That's why I would go bankrupt from catching the coronavirus

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

CODChimera posted:

also we should probably find a better balance between 'solved in 5 days' and 'the apocalypse'

I mean I'm just here to watch things happen. I don't have any real control over everything so I just lol when the number goes up

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

BoldFace posted:

Maybe plague Inc will finally update to get rid of the Rio event text

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

BoldFace posted:

it'll be over in 5 days op

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Schnorkles posted:

I'd also point out if the true number of cases of 2019-nCoV in Wuhan is nearly 76,000 then both the number of cases that become serious/critical and the overall mortality rate is significantly lower than is being reported.

this would be the only hopeful thing about it because so far with official diagnoses having a 2% mortality and 10% hospitalization is extremely real bad needs. like we should be truly hoping it’s spread 10x more than they think.

but there’s no way to know at this point.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Schnorkles posted:

the overall mortality rate is significantly lower than is being reported.

I suspect the mortality rate we're seeing comes mostly from people in hospitals. Not all infected people are being treated in hospitals. MOST of the infected people are probably not treated in hospitals. There are not enough medical professionals and resources in China to test every sick person and every corpse for the virus. China could not give us accurate numbers even if they wanted.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

vyelkin posted:

Boss makes a dollar
I make a dime
That's why I would go bankrupt from catching the coronavirus

Much more accurate, agreed. :hmmyes:

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

BoldFace posted:

I suspect the mortality rate we're seeing comes mostly from people in hospitals. Not all infected people are being treated in hospitals. MOST of the infected people are probably not treated in hospitals. There are not enough medical professionals and resources in China to test every sick person and every corpse for the virus. China could not give us accurate numbers even if they wanted.

There's no way that the number of "reported" cases actually matches up with the number of actual cases, but the number of actual hospitalizations versus asymptomatic and mild cases is unknown right now. Reported cases relies on the assay that the Chinese Government is using, which they don't have enough of, and is not instantaneous to make or evaluate.

76,000 -> ~1,200 serious/critical and 200 fatalities is bad, but its more really nasty and contagious flu numbers and less everyone gets loving pneumonia.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

CODChimera posted:

Apocalypse in 5 days

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

been imagining the corona virus as the crazy frog, instead of a sexy girl.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Just lmao at the sloppy blowjob the WHO gave China yesterday

Going to lmao even more on Monday

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

BoldFace posted:

the 2020 tokyo olympics will go on but by that time the virus will have mutated into something that makes people transform into cronenberg monstrosities and also makes them psychic

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

Just lmao at the sloppy blowjob the WHO gave China yesterday

Going to lmao even more on Monday

They're just consoling someone who's about to die.

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer

Schnorkles posted:

There's no way that the number of "reported" cases actually matches up with the number of actual cases, but the number of actual hospitalizations versus asymptomatic and mild cases is unknown right now. Reported cases relies on the assay that the Chinese Government is using, which they don't have enough of, and is not instantaneous to make or evaluate.

76,000 -> ~1,200 serious/critical and 200 fatalities is bad, but its more really nasty and contagious flu numbers and less everyone gets loving pneumonia.

You are right, but public health officials and experts have already been working under that assumption. But I'm not sure it's all roses. More people having it means it's more infectious.

While it absolutely would be nice to have a lower death and hospitalization rate, if there are a ton more unreported cases then it's even more likely people outside of china will be dealing with this. under the assumption they have left china with no symptoms or mild symptoms. So actually that could increase the risk to those outside of China and could increase fatalities.

Also depending on how much this mutates more mild cases will only work in the virus's favor allowing it to reproduce much more often.

pigz fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 31, 2020

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

pigz posted:

Also depending on how much this mutates more mild cases will only work in the virus's favor allowing it to reproduce much more often.
at least so far from looking at genomes from the virus, it hasn’t mutated. but yeah there’s a real concern this will become part of the regular seasonal trio of regular body bandits that we all know and love with flu, rhinovirus, and corona virus. and it can mutate seasonally to potentially worse ones the next year or the next and so on

well have to see how vaccine research goes, it could also be like the flu where it’s kind of a crapshoot still or maybe it’s distinct enough to have a permanent corona virus vaccine

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

CODChimera posted:

no

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Schnorkles posted:

Crack Peeing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

That's diarrhea