Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I forgot today was the day, I guess I should brace myself for the usual gut punch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

well i'm going to bed finally but non-spoilery first reaction is basically that it's less funny when they have to cram a lot of story and character development into so few episodes, but it's also real good and felt worth my time

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
That ending worked but it did almost feel open enough for a movie or special to close off a few threads Hollyhock (though the letter works,) Pickles, possibly Bojack returning to acting or leaving it behind...

Really is the end of a Netflix era though.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
probably the most stressful simulation of coming to terms with imminent death ive seen, as an animated tv show.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I am a fan of the Chicago Baby Humans.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
That was okay. Nothing stood out.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

That second last episode was the wildest ride out of all of them, holy poo poo.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
For once, I planned on binging the entire season, rather than convincing myself I wouldn't do it and then loving up my sleep schedule. So that was my afternoon, go me! Some thoughts:

I thought the whole season was a bit too Bojack-centric. I especially wanted something to happen with Mister Peanutbutter and he ended up just as he started, saying something poignant indicating reflection and growth, only to get yanked off scene by a running gag showing that he hasn't actually learned anything. The other send-offs were nice; Todd's was especially sweet.

And what about the secondary characters? Gina and Kelsey were half of the big cliffhanger and they didn't show up at all! The only thread we got from that story was a whole second of the filming of Fireflame. Judah didn't even appear in the last episode, despite being sorta central to it.

The View from Halfway Down was an episode we'd been expecting since season 1, and it still somehow managed to not let down. I gotta give them the kudos for that.

The ending was satisfying enough, and managed to be something other than I expected, but I can't say I was a fan of Bojack's career surviving by having him fall in with an alt-right anti-SJW crowd.

Overall, the gags were top-notch, the character drama was up to Bojack standards, and the whole thing was Nice While it Lasted.

BrainDance posted:

I wish we got to see what was in that letter, but I guess that was the best way to wrap that story up when you only got 8 episodes

I think all you need to know is that this is the only season where no one has said the word "gently caress" out loud.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 31, 2020

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
heh, to be fair (ending) Bojack didn't really fall into that crowd. He did pretty conclusively reject that one rear end in a top hat.

At the same time, who are the folks who would unconditionally support someone who did the things Bojack did?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

That was okay. Nothing stood out.

Really? That was not my experience at all.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh my god the (final episode) Hollywoob joke is the perfect culmination of two running gags

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

This show resonates too strongly with my own personal experiences and I'm going to be hosed up all day.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
What IS acting?

So far I've only seen the first episode of the finale season so far, but it all seems pretty promising.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Haven't watched any of season 6 yet, hoping its a bit stronger than seasons 4 and 5 were. Season 4 I feel like all of the ancillary characters' arcs were pretty lackluster, but the Bojack and Hollyhock arc was very well done I thought. Season 5 ironically was the opposite where I just couldn't invest myself in Bojack's story or any of the Philbert poo poo (I did like Free Churro though). Still think its probably the best animated series of the 2010s though, so I'm excited to see how it wraps up. Wishing the best for PC

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

It's cool how Pinky Penguin, a character all the way back from the very first episode, is instrumental in tricking Bojack into undoing himself.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Agent355 posted:

Really? That was not my experience at all.

I dunno. I guess I liked the rendition of that poem in the second to last episode, that kinda stuck out to me. But mostlyl, it was more of the same, overall. They found a fine way to end this show and I am not exactly carving for more. Overall, it was okay and sometimes funny, but I didn't really feel anything about it, while the beginning struck me more on a personal level.

Kinda reminds me of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend actually, maybe I am just so messed up that I relate to depressive characters way less, once they get better. Or maybe I just don't enjoy TV as much anymore.

These final episodes were okay, but nothing special.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Was "Yeah?" such a crutch word for the first half of the season? It got super tiresome by the last episode.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’m only on episode two of the final half-season but it feels weird that this show is over. I remember getting an email from Netflix the day it came out and putting an episode on even though I thought it sounded dumb and then I was hooked.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained
Episode 15: the poem Secretariat reads sounds similar to another poem or monologue about a person who doesn't want to stop talking, because he knows that when he stops he's gonna die. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
Goddamn I thought that was great. Like I'm sad that the show is over but I felt like they knocked the ball out of the park.

Ep 15: I was legit crying, trying to make sense of "is Bojack really dead?", and then got ambushed by the Zach Braff tongue twister and lost my poo poo laughing at the same time.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
The Episode 15 poem hits loving hard, jesus. Also, poor Diane in the finale. I had someone pull the bojack suicide voicemail on me in my teens and... yeah. Her closure with it in the finale hit really close to home.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
It was an emotional second half but it wasn’t as funny as any other half of the season was.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
God drat.

That was some of the best TV I've ever seen.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Oh boy the mindfuck episode is about to start, hope it surpasses time's arrow

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

gently caress.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think it was fine. Decent ending, tied up a lot of the big strings. Funniest moment was Todd immediately saying "Bojack your play sucked!" when he woke up.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Minrad posted:

The Episode 15 poem hits loving hard, jesus. Also, poor Diane in the finale. I had someone pull the bojack suicide voicemail on me in my teens and... yeah. Her closure with it in the finale hit really close to home.

But in the end didn't she kind of have the most complete, optimistic ending? She fell into the Hollywoo life, had it wreck her as much as everyone else, and now she's out of it and has found some kind of normalcy away from Hollywoo(b).

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
On S6E12. Halfway. It is impressive that they found a way to take this in an unexpected direction and it is somehow the worst outcome.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Goddamn, that poem:stonk:

e: Honestly the only thing I'm disappointed with is MYMUIRA. I mean come ON. You guys are better than this poo poo

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 1, 2020

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
God drat that was heavy and sad.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh btw I do want to give a firm :hmmyes: to their long awaited execution of the why the long face? joke.

e: ok also I couldn't help but cackle at their sneaking in meme references like But doctor, I am Sad Dog!. Also I think there was another one later that I'm blanking on now

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This was beautiful and I’m very, very sad that the show is over and everyone involved should be very proud of the story they told.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
The spoiler tags are appreciated, I just got through the first either 2 or 3 episodes of the new season and have to wait until my sister is able to watch them as well.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think BoJack Horseman may be the greatest adult animated series of all time.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think it was fine. Decent ending, tied up a lot of the big strings. Funniest moment was Todd immediately saying "Bojack your play sucked!" when he woke up.

I agree on both counts. A good ending, nothing crazy one way or another, but a very funny Todd joke there :haw:.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

While it's alluded really strongly I still can't help but wonder what was actually in that letter.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Mokinokaro posted:

I really don't care for Paige Sinclair and she is getting a lot of screentime for obvious reasons.

I'll agree on this too, I get what they're doing but I just didn't find this bit funny at all and it goes on wayyy too long. That's a one-episode kind of character for me.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think "open-ended" was the right kind of ending. People are in places that make sense for them, but finality was probably not the right way to go. This is a story that keeps being lived! That's good.

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.

MiddleOne posted:

While it's alluded really strongly I still can't help but wonder what was actually in that letter.

I agree, but I think it's better this way. We know it was her unambiguously cutting ties with Bojack, and our imaginations are probably worse than anything the writers would come up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Mistikman posted:

I agree, but I think it's better this way. We know it was her unambiguously cutting ties with Bojack, and our imaginations are probably worse than anything the writers would come up with.

Having the phone line be disconnected was a pretty great way to do it.