Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I just scanned the OPR GFF rules in that link and honestly they look pretty drat similar to the core process of playing Necromunda. If however you found starting Necro a bit sterile, I can only assume that this will feel more so because it genericises so much to fit it’s simple framework.

It looks good though, I think. Also cool that it contains rules for all the 40k factions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
And many of the mantic factions lol

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

JcDent posted:

One Page Rules' Grimdark Firefights has rules for Necromunda gangs!
https://onepagerules.com/portfolio/grimdark-future-firefight/

Def going to need to check this out.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
New announcement for Necromunda! 'House of Chains' expansion for Goliaths. New models and all:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/01/29/new-reveals-from-nuremberggw-homepage-post-1/

Models look good and I'm always excited for more content (Slave Ogryn gangs, it says!). But holy hell, things are going to get expensive if you are strongly encouraged to buy another book for every House Gang you want to play.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'm not sure this is the best path to take Necromunda. I'm all for juves and alternate sculpts, but don't see the need in more elite gangers like the stimmers when we're still missing the house-specific brutes and a lot of the pets. Differentiating Goliath juves as forge-born is kind of neat, but also feels unnecessary.

All that AT stuff though. :pcgaming:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

https://twitter.com/Lord_Denton/status/1222600834497896450?s=20

loving horrible. Both mad that the book treadmill has picked up pace and happy that I won't have to play.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Genghis Cohen posted:

New announcement for Necromunda! 'House of Chains' expansion for Goliaths. New models and all:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/01/29/new-reveals-from-nuremberggw-homepage-post-1/

Models look good and I'm always excited for more content (Slave Ogryn gangs, it says!). But holy hell, things are going to get expensive if you are strongly encouraged to buy another book for every House Gang you want to play.

Cool sculpts

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Hopefully, hopefully, those are plastic models, on sprues with enough stuff to allow them to be easily fielded as either regular-Juves and -Berzerkers, or special-Juves and -Berzerkers.

Or they're resin figures next to no options and this is the start of GW really making GBS threads the bed with this range.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Wait are they not Juves?

Also who the gently caress looks at year one of new Necromunda and decided slow-releasing gangs was the thing worth returning to.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

moths posted:

Wait are they not Juves?

Also who the gently caress looks at year one of new Necromunda and decided slow-releasing gangs was the thing worth returning to.

They specifically weilding weapons no juvie ever got close to.

...probably because they didn't even exist in the game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

moths posted:

Wait are they not Juves?

Juves do not have those weapons as loadout options.

Like Lash said, hopefully those are plastic sprues and have your choice of that or pistols or whatever so you can use them as both. We'll see :|

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Ugh, I didn't even look closely - I just saw young goliaths and somehow drew the wrong conclusion.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Hope, meet road to disappointment.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Safety Factor posted:

Yeah that Warbringer is amazing looking, and it's awesome that they're making it arm-swappable with the Reaver weapons. I just got my first games in this weekend and I'm pumped for more cool stompy robot action. Book sounds like it'll add a lot of options as well.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Not that keen on the Warbringer myself, but it's cool to see AT getting new stuff again. Will be picking up the new terrain & book, hoping the new starter set gets more people into the game, and waiting for the inevitably expensive resin psi-titan kit.

Hopefully the next new titan class is the other scout titan so I can finally start Legio Solaria

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I know it's a "Forgeworld" game and al, but I love that AI is just ignoring the bad Tau fliers, and rolling with the good ones:

Warbringer Titan looks like an even better base for an Emperor-class than the Warlord.

Anisotropic Shader
Nov 25, 2005

You're talkin' about what would basically be the most important model train layout of all time you realize.
Woo-hoo for female Goliath minis though!

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

LashLightning posted:

Hopefully, hopefully, those are plastic models, on sprues with enough stuff to allow them to be easily fielded as either regular-Juves and -Berzerkers, or special-Juves and -Berzerkers.

Or they're resin figures next to no options and this is the start of GW really making GBS threads the bed with this range.

Not even the marketing team seems to know the answers to these questions which is.. staggering.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Failson posted:

I know it's a "Forgeworld" game and al, but I love that AI is just ignoring the bad Tau fliers, and rolling with the good ones:

Thinking of getting these for Epic but there is no way they will be cheaper than comparable ones from a 3D printing service.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

hooman posted:

Not even the marketing team seems to know the answers to these questions which is.. staggering.

They don't even know if it's gonna be GW plastic or Forgeworld resin? Why did they even bother revealing them at all?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

Thinking of getting these for Epic but there is no way they will be cheaper than comparable ones from a 3D printing service.

The plastic AI kits for the initial release were fantastic. Just really solid kits.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

hooman posted:

PinheadSlim posted:

They don't even know if it's gonna be GW plastic or Forgeworld resin? Why did they even bother revealing them at all?

They know, but they are not allowed to say. The marketing team can't talk about anything that hasn't been explicitly revealed on WHC. It's weird and dumb, but it's been their policy for a while now. Relax and wait a little bit.

I think plastic is a pretty safe bet though.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
"We'll be revealing that closer to release!" is a million times better than going in with an official account and saying "Sorry, don't have that info". One of those makes you look like you don't know what the gently caress you're doing and it isn't the first one.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Looks like a new plastic Goliath sprue with four bodies -- two Stimmers and two Forge-born (kinda like how the second Enforcers sprue had to knock the number of bodies down from 5 to 3 to make room for those shields). You can tell because the two Stimmers have differently-posed legs, but the Forge-born display two standing men and two running women, with leg poses repeated.

My questions here are a) whether you're stuck with always-male running Forge-born and always female-standing Forge-born, or if they've done something with chest- or waist separation to allow either torso to connect to either pair of legs, kinda like how they made the chestpieces on the Vaan Sars interchangeable so you could do any pose as a man or a woman, and b) can you make juves by sticking regular Goliath arms on the Forge-born bodies, or would that look silly because of the proportions and/or not fit without sanding and putty because of the shoulder tooling.

I kind of assume this means the other house gangs will also be getting secondary sprues at the same rate the originals came out*, that those secondary sprues will also introduce new unit types rather than serving as juve/brute sprues, that someone at GW is going "Yes we know people want juve sprues but what will drive sales is new unit types," and that this probably means more ForgeWorld resin expansion parts to accompany the plastics, like all those extra weapon kits.

*But the new factory could change this, if that was the bottleneck

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 30, 2020

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Stephenls posted:

I kind of assume this means the other house gangs will also be getting secondary sprues at the same rate the originals came out, that those secondary sprues will also introduce new unit types rather than serving as juve/brute sprues, that someone at GW is going "Yes we know people want juve sprues but what will drive sales is new unit types," and that this probably means more ForgeWorld resin expansion parts to accompany the plastics, like all those extra weapon kits.

Yep, I have the same assumption.

Good news is that means Necromunda must be selling like hotcakes?

Also like we said before, HOPEFULLY they are aware of the juve situation and are going to make these kits multi-purpose. But I wouldn't put it past GW to release new units while other figures have no models.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Zaphod42 posted:

Yep, I have the same assumption.

Good news is that means Necromunda must be selling like hotcakes?

Also like we said before, HOPEFULLY they are aware of the juve situation and are going to make these kits multi-purpose. But I wouldn't put it past GW to release new units while other figures have no models.

Juves have models! You just use the regular models and gear them like juves and maybe don't stick on extra decorative bits so they look plainer!

That this is deeply unsatisfying doesn't make it less true!

(Hell, if those Forge-born guys are on 25mm bases, you may need to stick them on 32s to make them count as juves legally.)

Also, I'm really looking forward to the secondary Delaque sprue.

EDIT: It would be hilarious if there are parts to convert the Stimmers to Berzerkers and the Forge-born to juves, but they're resin expansions. "Everybody likes new unit types, but new model conversions for units that have already been out for multiple years is a niche thing, which is what resin is for!"

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jan 30, 2020

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Safety Factor posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure this is the best path to take Necromunda. I'm all for juves and alternate sculpts, but don't see the need in more elite gangers like the stimmers when we're still missing the house-specific brutes and a lot of the pets. Differentiating Goliath juves as forge-born is kind of neat, but also feels unnecessary.

The Warbringer looks way better at this scale than 28mm and the teeny tiny crates are perfect.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

release new units while other figures have no models.

Ah, the Forge World approach to literally every game.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Played our first Warcry game yesterday.

I liked the game quite a bit. The rules are fast and tight, I love the freedom of the movement rules - We had lots of vertical terrain, so there were lots of jumping around and parkour going on.

The random missions are fun too.

I did not, however, like that it seems to be wildly imbalanced. I played using a box of Splintered Fang warcry dudes. He played using Ironjawz in game 1, and goblins in game 2. In both games it just didn't feel like I had a prayer. More so against the Ironjawz than the Goblins, though. Their one weakness, low movement, was completely nullified by the leader's Waaagh ability, which comfortably let him engage immediately.

A ork hanging from the rafters. There was plenty of space to put him down, but the floor was so full of rubble the model was in serious danger of tipping over, so I let him bend the rules a little.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
From what I hear, the core Warcry warbands are pretty balanced against each other, but the AoS stuff is OP in comparison. It's not as bad if you use all AoS, and the missions can make a HUGE impact on the game. My FEC lost to Gitz because my opponent killed my leader in turn two.

It's certainly not a balanced game by any stretch of the imagination though, so you have to make sure you start the game in that mindset. I'll definitely bring it out for a quick in-between games brawl though.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

hooman posted:

You would be surprised by how little interaction different departments have with each other. Community are at the far end of the pipeline and this is the problem. Either that or they are the problem, I haven't worked out which yet.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
That Warbringer Nemesis looks a lot like a remix of the original metal prototype Warlord AT minis. I like it.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

glitchkrieg posted:

You would be surprised by how little interaction different departments have with each other. Community are at the far end of the pipeline and this is the problem. Either that or they are the problem, I haven't worked out which yet.
Oh they know exactly what's coming, HQ staff get some of the first production sprues. Just look at how many have their own gangs, warbands or armies painted up for preview articles on new releases.

Dreadwroth2 posted:

That Warbringer Nemesis looks a lot like a remix of the original metal prototype Warlord AT minis. I like it.

The more I look at it the more I think it would be better with an alternative head design. The current one didn't really translate from those 80's prototypes as well as the new Warlord or Reaver designs. Hopefully it'll get a sprue for alternate carapace weapons with a different head st some point.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I'm looking to pick up a skirmish game and am between Beastgrave/Underworlds and Warcry. I understand that it's probably apples and oranges, but can anyone tell me how they compare?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I'm looking to pick up a skirmish game and am between Beastgrave/Underworlds and Warcry. I understand that it's probably apples and oranges, but can anyone tell me how they compare?

They do not compare, they're completely different games.

Warcry is a fast skirmish game that is completely unbalanced, and relies heavily on dice random terrain cards random mission cards and random effects. However, unless you hate random in your games, it's pretty fun.

Warhammer underworlds is more of a board game, that has miniatures as playing pieces. It is also fun, and while there still is randomness involved, depending on your dice and the card hand you pull, it is far less random than Warcry. That being said, Warhammer underworlds does suffer from collectible card game issues, and it can be hard for some warbands to even compete with an out-of-the-box deck (but if you go straight Beastgrave and stop there, you should be okay.)

That's just a high-level overview, obviously. They're both fun games, but both are very different.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I would recommend Underworlds personally. The fact that it is just a board game with really nice models really helps get people who wouldn't play a full on tabletop minis game to try it, and more than that it is just a blast to play.

The rules are very clear, plays very quick, and the teams have very nice individual flavor from their unique cards while still playing similarly. Also, buying new teams is pretty cheap.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I play both, very casually. The reviews so far are a bit down on Warcry in my opinion. It is a fast game with lovely models, the random mission and scenario setups is a huge boost to the game, which gives it a lot of variability but is also predictable enough that you can (and have to) build your strategy and warband to prepare for the different scenario types.

Edit: I also really like Underworlds by the way. Bit sick of the season churn and CCG dynamic though.

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Feb 2, 2020

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Thanks for the thoughts, everyone. It's sounding like Underworlds is the way to go, especially since Beastgrave is only like 70-80 bucks. I'm just looking for something quick to play with my cousin, so being overly competitive isn't really a concern.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Warhammer Community posted:

Soon, you’ll notice that new Titan models (starting with the Warbringer Nemesis) will be supplied with a card-style Command Terminal right in the box – we’ll continue to offer the heavier board versions separately if you prefer them. A new style pack with terminals for a Warlord, Warbringer Nemesis, Reaver, and two Warhounds will be up for pre-order next weekend. 

This is very welcome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
New AT Starter Set :siren: £90 :siren:
Warbringer Nemesis Titan £55
Industrial Scenery set £30
Shadow & Iron £22