Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Mechanical Ape posted:

Don't freak out, ONI is only as complex as you want it to be.

It's like how there are players of Stardew Valley who obsess over maximizing profit for every square inch of farmland. And not to say that that's an invalid way to play Stardew Valley, it's perfectly fine, but neither is it required that anyone play that way in order to get an enriching experience.

I'm not sure this is an entirely apt comparison because you win in stardew valley no matter how inefficient you are. In ONI if you define 'winning' as researching the entire tech tree and loving about in space (which you don't have to, tbf) then you really can't just do anything and make that happen. If your heat/water/oxygen systems are bad enough you'll just die. You can't really reach a lose state in stardew valley.

Sure not everybody has to break out the calculator like I do and figure out the exact amount of farm plots I need to feed my colony and there are some pretty good 'temporary solutions' that are permanent enough that you can effectively ignore the problems you're causing, but you have to put at least a bit of effort in this game to how you lay out your systems.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I would say the most complex thing the game truly asks of you to "win" is Steam and Liquid Hydrogen/Oxygen for the Rockets and even that isn't so bad.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

All that said i think if you don't find the idea of tinkering about in a relatively complex system to try and learn how it works and jury rig it into a functional machine, than the game might not be your bag.

I'm not sure how far purely mucking about will get you. Though nothing in this game will kill you quickly, it might just take a hundred cycles for you to realize the temperature is creeping up and you don't have any way of stopping it before you run out of food and starve.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I guess what I mean is, is the only way to get enjoyment from this game past early game having an engineering degree? I don't even understand 75% of the stuff in that post, and it is making me feel like I should quit while I'm ahead if I can't dedicate 1000 hours to see what the game has to offer content wise.
You can install some mods that get rid of the more annoying poo poo like buildings venting their products into nearby space, or needing to build liquid locks when the game has airlocks that don't work as advertised. Finally if you don't care about achievements you can fix virtually any mistake with Sandbox mode. That's how I've been learning while making constant forward progress instead of having to restart with a new base because I plugged in the Hell Tube.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I guess what I mean is, is the only way to get enjoyment from this game past early game having an engineering degree? I don't even understand 75% of the stuff in that post, and it is making me feel like I should quit while I'm ahead if I can't dedicate 1000 hours to see what the game has to offer content wise.

I'm doing a PhD in nuclear engineering and I don't think I'm galaxy-brained enough for the late game. I still think it's fun though.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Shumagorath posted:

restart with a new base because I plugged in the Hell Tube.

I really can’t think of anything you could need a tepidizer for which you couldn’t accomplish (with more infrastructure construction) by moving heat from somewhere generating it to your desired location.

It’s sort of like hiding the self-destruct sequence in a list of office extension numbers.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I've played a lot of this game and I don't understand what he's trying to do with a tepidizer, or why it's boiling water (it has a temperature limit that's supposed to prevent that), or why that would cause something else to freeze. So don't feel like you're behind if you're lost there.

But a big part of the game is giving you a bunch of tools to do weird science experiments with, some of which will produce useful results, some of which will be disasters that kill some people. You don't need to understand what's going on with any person's particular science project to progress, but you'll be faced with a set of problems and you'll be tempted to try combining the various tools you have in novel ways to solve them.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
There is a well known glitch with the liquid tepidizer, refered to as a pulsed tepidizer. When a liquid tepidizer starts it doesn't actually check if it is over temperature, or even in liquid, for about 3 seconds. Using automation to reset the tepidizer every 3 seconds you can force it to operate well beyond the 85C limit, or in a gas instead of a liquid.

I really want to play this game, but I've been having consistent crashes after about 200 cycles. Mods/no mods makes no difference, same with the testing branch.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Smiling Demon posted:

There is a well known glitch with the liquid tepidizer, refered to as a pulsed tepidizer. When a liquid tepidizer starts it doesn't actually check if it is over temperature, or even in liquid, for about 3 seconds. Using automation to reset the tepidizer every 3 seconds you can force it to operate well beyond the 85C limit, or in a gas instead of a liquid.

I really want to play this game, but I've been having consistent crashes after about 200 cycles. Mods/no mods makes no difference, same with the testing branch.

I had that issue for a couple months but I’m pretty sure mine was related to the ~ 400 hatches I had in an infinitifarm before they fixed the ranch thing. That really sucks.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Agent355 posted:

I'm not sure this is an entirely apt comparison because you win in stardew valley no matter how inefficient you are. In ONI if you define 'winning' as researching the entire tech tree and loving about in space (which you don't have to, tbf) then you really can't just do anything and make that happen. If your heat/water/oxygen systems are bad enough you'll just die. You can't really reach a lose state in stardew valley.

Sure not everybody has to break out the calculator like I do and figure out the exact amount of farm plots I need to feed my colony and there are some pretty good 'temporary solutions' that are permanent enough that you can effectively ignore the problems you're causing, but you have to put at least a bit of effort in this game to how you lay out your systems.

While true, there's a LOT in this game that allows you to cheat around the problems - combined, farming glossy dreckoes, using pips heavily and using the steam turbine & aquatuner combo will let you stabilize from more or less any problem and slowly keep working towards surviving. There's no need to get to perfect or even near-perfect efficiency, just common sense gets you far.

Not that I don't heavily go into mad science.

That being said the dude also had the idea of "use yellow alert" to "fix" the problem of "my miners keep kramering in to each others' jobs and then leaving for the other side of the base because there's nothing to do" - and he used "sperg" as a pejorative... so I'm kinda actually siding with the idea that maybe ONI isn't a game for him.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Smiling Demon posted:

Exactly this. I was using it like an on-demand water heater to warm the output to a sieve and while my tank of tanks filled it was sitting in air. Things got crazy when the tank filled up enough to immerse it. Now I'm just cycling everything over my power grid.

The first time I used one I had ended up with germy drinking water and plugged it in with zero automation. It killed those germs alright! It also made the centre of my base 120C.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Thanks for the input. I guess I was worried that in order to progress or get anywhere in would have to get super involved in the mathematical exactness displayed in some of these posts, rather than just experimenting and finding out what works. I'm having fun playing and progressing, I just wasn't sure if that was enough or if I would need to bust out a scientific calculator later to figure out gas pressure differentials and heat matrices as they relate to power generation per second in vacuum during the full moon on a Wednesday while mercury is in retrograde.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jan 31, 2020

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
Using phosphorous to tame volcanoes is insanely effective.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I’ve been to space and the only math I’ve done is figuring out how many mushrooms I need to feed my dupes.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Yo don't overthink the game. Just play it and see if poo poo works. If it doesn't, figure out why and fix it. There you go, a blueprint for how to play ONI.

But really, use Tools Not Included website, find a good seed with a couple close hydrogen, nat gas, and cool slush geysers. Harness the hydrogen/nat gas geysers for power and use the slush for cooling and filter it for usable water. Make a ladder to the surface to vent garbage gas and liquids you don't need. For food make a bristle berry farm using lights with power from your geysers.

Once I prioritized that stuff and you get your basics nailed down you will have time to decide what project you want to take on.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Thanks for the input. I guess I was worried that in order to progress or get anywhere in would have to get super involved in the mathematical exactness displayed in some of these posts, rather than just experimenting and finding out what works. I'm having fun playing and progressing, I just wasn't sure if that was enough or if I would need to bust out a scientific calculator later to figure out gas pressure differentials and heat matrices as they relate to power generation per second in vacuum during the full moon on a Wednesday while mercury is in retrograde.

You can always just start a colony in sandbox, it allows you to toggle between playing the game survival style to being able to add or delete anything in the game. It's a good way to learn how things work and interact with each other without the time and frustration building it only to find Meep decided to pee in the CO2 pantry and now all your food has gone bad and that's just loving life in the colony, Meep, thanks a loving lot.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
How do you use cool slush geysers for cooling?

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

I surround the geyser in an insulated box, pipe out the slush in an insulated pipe over to where I want the cooling, and then use the liquid in the pipes to cool whatever is under them.

I've done this two ways - radiant pipes behind hot machinery, or (on a hot map) I cooled the whole farming/living area by running the slush through regular pipes inside ordinary blocks, with insulated blocks on the 'hot' side. That worked REALLY well, so much that I eventually had to add a thermometer and shutoff valve because the living area was getting down to near-freezing levels.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Bread Enthusiast posted:

I surround the geyser in an insulated box, pipe out the slush in an insulated pipe over to where I want the cooling, and then use the liquid in the pipes to cool whatever is under them.

I've done this two ways - radiant pipes behind hot machinery, or (on a hot map) I cooled the whole farming/living area by running the slush through regular pipes inside ordinary blocks, with insulated blocks on the 'hot' side. That worked REALLY well, so much that I eventually had to add a thermometer and shutoff valve because the living area was getting down to near-freezing levels.

If I recall correctly, the 'cool' slush geyser water is hot?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Mayveena posted:

If I recall correctly, the 'cool' slush geyser water is hot?

A slush geyser is near-freezing pwater; you’re thinking of a cool steam vent which is barely-boiling steam which immediately condenses into nearly-boiling clean water unless given encouragement in the form of a little extra heat.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Also good to know the difference between a CO2 geyser (which pumps out liquid CO2 at -55C) and a CO2 vent (which pumps out hot 500C gas).

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

LonsomeSon posted:

A slush geyser is near-freezing pwater; you’re thinking of a cool steam vent which is barely-boiling steam which immediately condenses into nearly-boiling clean water unless given encouragement in the form of a little extra heat.

I am thinking of the cool steam vent!!! Thanks. OK off to the website to look for a map with a close by slush geyser :).

So I went to Tools Not Included and I can't figure out how to get exactly the map that I want for a terra asteroid. For example, I want a map with at least two cool slush geysers and a natural gas geyser and a hydrogen geyser. What do I need to put in to get some maps like that?

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 31, 2020

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Mayveena posted:

I am thinking of the cool steam vent!!! Thanks. OK off to the website to look for a map with a close by slush geyser :).

So I went to Tools Not Included and I can't figure out how to get exactly the map that I want for a terra asteroid. For example, I want a map with at least two cool slush geysers and a natural gas geyser and a hydrogen geyser. What do I need to put in to get some maps like that?

Select Terra, then click "add AND rule". That will give you the options as to what geysers or other features you want.

Edit: haha there are seeds with 6 slush geysers

Anthony Chuzzlewit fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 31, 2020

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
My biggest epiphany after watching YouTube 'perfect in every way' builds is to realize it doesn't matter.

I built a simple spom, and my initial hydrogen line had some initial off gas in it. I sometimes use powered filters so my setups aren't self sufficient, but I haven't had a problem with power yet.

My biggest issue is figuring out how to run hevi watt wire to transformers in such a way as I can have regular lines not get tangled up in it it's very refreshing to just play and fix it after I have it all down first

Except when I get germs in my clean water source. So annoying. Now I need to set up a chlorine room, and I don't care if it's multiple liquid res with timers to move water from one to the next all day.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Han Nehi posted:

Select Terra, then click "add AND rule". That will give you the options as to what geysers or other features you want.

Edit: haha there are seeds with 6 slush geysers

Thanks!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Roundboy posted:

My biggest epiphany after watching YouTube 'perfect in every way' builds is to realize it doesn't matter.

I built a simple spom, and my initial hydrogen line had some initial off gas in it. I sometimes use powered filters so my setups aren't self sufficient, but I haven't had a problem with power yet.

My biggest issue is figuring out how to run hevi watt wire to transformers in such a way as I can have regular lines not get tangled up in it it's very refreshing to just play and fix it after I have it all down first

Except when I get germs in my clean water source. So annoying. Now I need to set up a chlorine room, and I don't care if it's multiple liquid res with timers to move water from one to the next all day.

According to Francis John (the YouTube guy) the germs will go away eventually on their own and that assuming you take basic precautions, it's not a big deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBOAOeLoez4

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Yes, but over a dozen cycles later my 3500 germs are still pretty stable, just dropping by a few dozen but not really staying down.

I'll need it eventually anyway to take the water out of my bathrom/ shower loop which will eventually generate excess to replenish the main supply. Maybe, I dunno, o haven't needed it yet.

Isn't it really only a problem in the water cooler/ espresso machine?

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

I would also add that you absolutely should be meeting the room requirements to take advantage of the morale boosts. The great hall is very easy to create early on and you should finish it asap.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I just pump my extra bathroom water into thimble reeds, personally.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I've never done industrial scale insulation but dreckos produce all the reed fiber I'll ever need.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I've never done industrial scale insulation but dreckos produce all the reed fiber I'll ever need.

I've never had much luck with those fuckers, but i haven't really tried since they added the canister emptier

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I like thimble reeds off the bathroom just as a very simple infallible consumer of pwater. I've had too many plumbing mishaps where stuff backs up because I'm trying to use the water for something else and it falls out of balance.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

I'll usually throw an arbor tree or two on the bathroom waste line with automation to keep them hydrated. Then I forget about them for a couple hundred cycles and have tons of lumber when I get to the point that I need ethanol.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

drat. I stopped reading users' guides when the new biomes came out because I was having too much fun stumbling over answers myself. But thimble reeds for your bathroom is so ecofriendly I can't not.

The thing about ONI is it's a Klei game. Like, the point of many Klei games is seeing how many ways you can gently caress up hilariously. Cf. Don't Starve.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
my latest go to is to make my 3 'sides', left, right, and middle around printer 24 inner tiles wide, plus 2 tiles for a door, so 26 floor tiles wide, space ladder space. This gives me the max rooms side of 96 tiles i can split up in any way.

Since the bathroom is only 64 max, that is 3 sinks, 3 lavatrories, with spaces for decoration. Past that I just put a door with a water sieve and at least one liquid reservoir. but i make 2. I hook up an initial pump to charge the line, but disconnect after the base is full, and run the excess into the reservoir. Later when I add showers the extra germ water adds the make up volume for the new supply pipe as needed, and I have a looong time before they are full.

When they are full i tend to pump it to the central water storage i probably built by then and I pump from there as needed for other projects,s but i can probably just use the original supply pipes instead of double pumping. pumping to a holding area lets me see where i am with water though. I tend to restart on a whim, so i am forcing myself to play through further along

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I was home with a sick kid today and played ONI and ... 8 hours just evaporated in a few minutes ?? This game is a major brain drug

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

My kid is sick with food poisoning so I stayed home.

"8 hours later*

He has slimelung now but it's no big deal. My kitchen is nice and cool and my garden has arctic plants at a comfortable temperature. Anyone have advice on drilling for oil?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Game rules.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Do hydrogen vents spawn on Terra? Where would I be likely to find one? I have more oxygen than my main base knows what to do with but I'm hand-to-mouth on hydrogen after Piped Output made me lazy and let me get through ~100 cycles without much need for alternate power. Some attempts at being too clever emptied my batteries in a hurry by both killing the aquaturbine power return and my natural gas generator output so if I can find 100% clean power that would be nice. If they're unlikely to spawn I've already tapped a backup gas vent and can target another, but peak power might be a problem as I'm out of good generator space in my industrial brick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Shumagorath posted:

Do hydrogen vents spawn on Terra? Where would I be likely to find one? I have more oxygen than my main base knows what to do with but I'm hand-to-mouth on hydrogen after Piped Output made me lazy and let me get through ~100 cycles without much need for alternate power. Some attempts at being too clever emptied my batteries in a hurry by both killing the aquaturbine power return and my natural gas generator output so if I can find 100% clean power that would be nice. If they're unlikely to spawn I've already tapped a backup gas vent and can target another, but peak power might be a problem as I'm out of good generator space in my industrial brick.

I'm wondering this too, since I used Tools not Included to spawn one and it isn't there, along with the cold slush that was supposed to be. All the poo poo that makes heat and poison spawned no problem though!