Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Seems like the people I've known who have done jury duty sit on misdemeanor cases and it usually only takes a day or two before the court case is over. Getting stuck on a double homicide trial for 6 months seems like an extreme rarity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Vargatron posted:

Seems like the people I've known who have done jury duty sit on misdemeanor cases and it usually only takes a day or two before the court case is over. Getting stuck on a double homicide trial for 6 months seems like an extreme rarity.

I got called to potentially be on a Grand Jury in Baltimore, where you're apparently on the hook every day for several months.

Fortunately I had just moved out of the city so I dodged that one.

It's also pretty grim work as I heard from an acquaintance who knew someone who did it - lots of unpleasant details that you have to consider.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

That sounds about right. It would suck having to go through evidence of a murder or rape. Gotta be a huge mental strain on everybody involved in the trial.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

toplitzin posted:

What happens when a lawyer makes a commitment to a chickencheese and fails?

Does the probation get referred to the bar?

Only if referred in person, and I can't remember what Phil's neighborhood bar is.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

toplitzin posted:

What happens when a lawyer makes a commitment to a chickencheese and fails?

Does the probation get referred to the bar?

Look here. Lawyers may screw their clients. Laywers may have sex with their clients. Lawyers may forge judges signatures on fake orders. But lawyers don't welsh on chickencheese.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

I was in a fender bender on new years eve. There wasn't visible damage and I took photos, but I was still going ~10mph when I slid into him(icy roads) and it felt like enough to me for there to be some sort of damage.

He just called me and said his insurance quoted $1300 but "his mechanic" quoted $325. So for $325 cash he'll call it good and that he'd sign something to that effect if I brought something.

Is it worth it to try and print up something about full and final damages for anything from the incident on 12/31/2019 to bring with and have him sign? I have no idea if it would legally matter if later insurance did get involved in some way.

Call your own insurance that’s what you pay them for.

Don’t pay the dude, you will get shafted.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Vargatron posted:

That sounds about right. It would suck having to go through evidence of a murder or rape. Gotta be a huge mental strain on everybody involved in the trial.

Is that something that's addressed in our systems? Does the state have any responsibility for trauma inflicted on jurors by exposing them to this kind of evidence or testimony?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I never welshed on anything in my life. I knew the consequences and I’d do it again. I’ll do my time and won’t rat nobody out. You got the shotgun...I got the briefcase. It’s all the game though, right?

Now take me to jail.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Is that something that's addressed in our systems? Does the state have any responsibility for trauma inflicted on jurors by exposing them to this kind of evidence or testimony?

States are generally immune from law suits

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

It will get brought up in voir dire, and people who have had similar experiences will pretty much always get released from serving on that jury if they want to be.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 31, 2020

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Devor posted:

I got called to potentially be on a Grand Jury in Baltimore, where you're apparently on the hook every day for several months.

Fortunately I had just moved out of the city so I dodged that one.

It's also pretty grim work as I heard from an acquaintance who knew someone who did it - lots of unpleasant details that you have to consider.

I was on a grand jury a few months ago. I feel like you could replace most of the jurors with a bunch of cardboard cutouts labeled "I motion, I second, in favor" in crayon and it would have had about the same result. I now understand the "A competent federal prosecutor can indict a ham sandwich" quip.

What's the ostensible purpose of the preemptory strike? Given that Batson only happened in the mid 80s, it feels like a way to just ensure the result you want than to eliminate bias.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Volmarias posted:

, it feels like a way to just ensure the result you want than to eliminate bias.

You say that like there's a difference between the two.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Volmarias posted:

I was on a grand jury a few months ago. I feel like you could replace most of the jurors with a bunch of cardboard cutouts labeled "I motion, I second, in favor" in crayon and it would have had about the same result. I now understand the "A competent federal prosecutor can indict a ham sandwich" quip.

What's the ostensible purpose of the preemptory strike? Given that Batson only happened in the mid 80s, it feels like a way to just ensure the result you want than to eliminate bias.

there has been movement to abolish it because it's frequently used in biased ways. but the basic idea is you get to eliminate jurors you think are biased against your client for reasons you can't quite prove.

i don't know the exact reason it exists but i would imagine it's basically this: if both sides get to eliminate the people they think are worst for them - but a limited number, so that they can't afford to just bounce everyone they think is not biased in their favor - then you will wind up with a jury that's a little more fair. and importantly, that both sides are likely to think is more fair - part of what makes the justice system work is the loser feeling they got a fair shake.

in practice when you have the basis for those challenges being stereotypes about people then you start winding up with people, quite reasonably, thinking they're not getting a fair shake when magically the black people always get stricken for non-race related reasons, and they probably do more harm than good

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

Call your own insurance that’s what you pay them for.

Don’t pay the dude, you will get shafted.

if you call your own insurance company and admit to causing an accident they may raise your rates. people settling damages outside of insurance companies is common specifically to avoid that.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Volmarias posted:

Grand Juries have a different requirement structure than trial; the burden is different. It'd be really weird for a charge to be brought up that a grand jury wouldn't move.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Discendo Vox posted:

Grand Juries have a different requirement structure than trial; the burden is different. It'd be really weird for a charge to be brought up that a grand jury wouldn't move.

I've actually seen a few in the past six months months, cases where the grand jury returned no bill but they still went forward with the traffic court charges from the same stop.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I've actually seen a few in the past six months months, cases where the grand jury returned no bill but they still went forward with the traffic court charges from the same stop.

You're in SC, home of the Worst Bar, that hardly counts

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Discendo Vox posted:

You're in SC, home of the Worst Bar, that hardly counts

Oh no the lawyers are fine, it's the cop prosecutors

One recently tried to maintain he didnt have to give me a copy of the body cam video so long as he showed it to me

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Un-lurking for the jury discussion to add my anecdote to the pile; got called twice thus far. First pool was mainly for a suit that got settlement right as I entered the building, so unsurprisingly I and most of the other people never even made it into a courtroom to be chosen. Second time was last year, did actually get dragged into the courtroom and they even had me seated in the jury box before I was dismissed (never actually HEARD any discussion between the judge and lawyers, just got called up to the box and a few minutes later was told I was dismissed; I presumed they were doing it electronically maybe and I couldn't see?). Really glad considering that case was for somebody accused of raping their 6 year old daughter, I was pretty much in "let this cup pass me God" mode when I hit the jury box :gonk:. Kind of depressing how many people had to immediately beg off for what wasn't said but I suspect was being all too familiar with that kind of crime... Not sure what got me removed really; I didn't say anything apart from what was on my form.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Lol juries. Don't have 'em don't want 'em

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
My 1 brush with it has been getting called and being #355 out of 361 that had to go in on day 1 of the 3. Based on my rudimentary understanding of the selection process, and the likelihood of my relatively podunk courthouse chewing through 350 people in one day, I just didn't go in. The night after that day, the website that announced the numbers said basically "if a judge didn't tell you otherwise today, your service has been fulfilled, thanks"

I'm personally torn between what a pain in the rear end it would be to do, and immense curiosity about that experience, so I didn't NOT want to do it, but I DID want to avoid sitting in a lovely chair in a courthouse where I may or may not be able to use my phone for eight hours for absolutely no loving reason. I'd rather be one of the scattering of people who gets grilled first on tuesday than deal with that. So win/win for everyone this time, woooo

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Defendant was found not guilty and there are news stories about it. Ok to post?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

If the verdict is in, yes.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Depends on your state ethics rules.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I just had someone knock on my door asking for names of everyone who lives in my house (I'm a renter). She claimed to work for a third party company who was working on behalf of the bank who holds my landlord's mortgage. I told her I was the lease holder and no i'm not answering questions to a random stranger at 6pm on a Sunday.

She handed me a piece of paper and left, paper reads 'The mortgage holder has requested that *company* confirms the names of all the occupants of this building. Please contact our office by the close of business on Feb 3, 2020. Failure to do so my result in legal proceedings. We look forward to your response. Please direct all inquiries to *Company* *name, contact number*.

This is in BC. I guess the first question is 'is it any business of the bank who lives in my landlord's house'? And if so does this mean he's about to get foreclosed?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Just heard back from landlord. He thinks it sounds like a scam and he doesn't deal with the bank she said the house was mortgaged to. So someone is lying about something. Awesome.

I guess I call the bank branch tomorrow and confirm they've got a contract with the *company*. And/or call the company and see if they have any info on my landlord/property owner/proof they're who they say they are.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
ooh, intrigue!

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Call the police and set up a sting operation, then call and have the scammer come back out, and get Chris Hansen to invite them in and give them the ol, "Why don't you have a seat..."

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Well we do have a vacancy in our dungeon basement suite.

I'm pretty sure they just went to the wrong address; 25 Blahblah St instead of 25 Blahblah Rd. But I'll call the relevant companies tomorrow and find out if my house got sold to foreign crime lords or something interesting.

It still seems kinda skeevey a landlord's bank would hire a third party to see who's living at an address.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 3, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Outrail posted:

I guess I call the bank branch tomorrow and confirm they've got a contract with the *company*. And/or call the company and see if they have any info on my landlord/property owner/proof they're who they say they are.

Why would you do this? This is clearly not your problem. If it's a problem for anyone it's the property owner and you have already made them aware.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Motronic posted:

Why would you do this? This is clearly not your problem. If it's a problem for anyone it's the property owner and you have already made them aware.

Because it's a mystery. Also I want to make sure my landlord isn't hiding something. But mostly mystery.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
And I want to hear how it ends, so you shoosh, mr. 'its not your business'.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

You guys have mentioned that it is common for lawyers to refer other lawyers, so what do you think of lawyers that represent clients suing other lawyers for malpractice? Are they the lepers of the legal world?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s a job, who cares.

That is mostly going to be insurance company lawyers fighting each other in a detached reality.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SkunkDuster posted:

You guys have mentioned that it is common for lawyers to refer other lawyers, so what do you think of lawyers that represent clients suing other lawyers for malpractice? Are they the lepers of the legal world?

They're no worse than PI attorneys chasing a settlement check.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Normally I have no problem with lawyers handling the plaintiffs side in legal malpractice cases. Like any other area of the law it occasionally attracts huge jerks who lie to their clients either to convince them to pursue a bad case or to keep them going long after they should have settled or dropped a case. But again, that’s the same as most other plaintiffs side work.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

As an aside it is so nice not having to worry about malpractice and not having to pay the premiums

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

euphronius posted:

As an aside it is so nice not having to worry about malpractice and not having to pay the premiums

Is that you Michael Cohen?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Arcturas posted:

Like any other area of the law it occasionally attracts huge jerks who lie to their clients either to convince them to pursue a bad case or to keep them going long after they should have settled or dropped a case.

What about suing a legal malpractice lawyer for legal malpractice, like is it legal malpractice all the way down, or...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I can’t think of a scenario where a defendant and the plaintiff lawyer would be in a relationship such that a cause of action for malpractice against the plaintiff lawyer by the defendant would arise or - if arisen - have any damages

Maybe something screwy where the plaintiffs lawyer used to be the defendants lawyer