Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

fyi according to the wapo just now

quote:

While many Republicans have expressed hopes that the expected failure of a vote to call new witnesses would mean a rapid end to Trump’s impeachment trial, officials are warning that might not be the case.

A longer schedule could mean the trial stretches beyond Monday’s Iowa caucuses, further complicating the campaign schedules of the four senators seeking the Democratic nomination who are sitting as jurors.

A senior administration official and two congressional officials said Friday it was unlikely that senators would rush immediately to a verdict after the witness vote fails. They requested anonymity to speak candidly about internal discussions.

The administration official and a congressional official raised the possibility that the Senate could take up a new procedural resolution laying out rules for the trial’s endgame — which could include time for closing arguments, private deliberations and public speeches by senators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

ManBoyChef posted:

unless he brings a microphone with him how do you think he looks like a podcaster?

White guy, unkempt beard

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

White guy, unkempt beard

How do you differentiate from a self-published Sci-Fi author?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Munkeymon posted:

These are both good, so Bloomberg for Benevolent Dictator for Life IMO 😜

the best part is he made the explicit decision to make the city actively antagonistic to anyone who made less than 100K, in the name of making it a playground for the super-rich

he's the realignment the Third Way people were trying to make happen in 2016 incarnate. a party that believes in civil rights in the abstract and purging all those icky poors from anywhere near where they live in practice.

Flip Yr Wig posted:

For those that just stumbled into the thread for the day, could the people debating the merits of left authoritarianism in the wake of the acquittal actually define what policies and political strategies they're talking about?

one of the dipshits pushing it got probed for it, and the other one's an anprim weirdo whose explicit endgame is the death of 90% of the human population. number two I can easily shut down, number one i'm not going to pretend to speak for. i'd really like some arguments for shutting people like that down beyond saying 'that could end badly,' though, for the reasons I've laid out.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

BiggerBoat posted:

Now let me tell how John Kerry is a flip flopper and how Warren used to be conservative!

E; oh poo poo that was from forever ago. Sorry, fast moving thread

This is just how morons think. Obama shouldn't be elected, he doesn't have enough political experience! Oh, we should elect Trump because he's not a career politician!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

the argument that a more authoritarian left movement would be bad, because the people in charge might make bad decisions, is EFFORTLESSLY dismissed with "and under the current ones they're signing off on concentration camps on grounds it beats opposing the republicans." the lesson of 2016 is this: give people a choice between the devil they know and the devil they don't, and they'll pick option 2, because there's a chance he might refocus some of the pain on someone else. and here, that lesson bites down hard.

you have not, will not, and can not hold this back with empty whining about how you're afraid of change. this will (rightly) be interpreted as the fearful mumbling of people who don't think the current situation is THAT bad, actually. the only way to oppose it is to have a positive, actively-advocated-for vision that is better than the one you fear, for reasons X, Y, and Z.

Bull and poo poo.

You are arguing literally nothing but "my side is good. The wolves would never eat MY face."

Even leftists are not all on the same side and you are displaying either massive ignorance or massive privilege to assume your theoretical progressive dictatorship will not end up making GBS threads on vulnerable people.

What happens if your dictatorship is run by a TERF? Or a progressive in most areas casual homophobe? Or by someone who pretends to be progressive but is abusing women behind closed doors. This isn't hand-wringing. This is something vulnerable leftists have to deal with even from people "on their side" and needs to be answered with something besides "but other side bad!"

Edit: He'll, what about religion? I know plenty of far-left people who view being anti-religious as a sign of being progressive.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 31, 2020

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

eke out posted:

[/b]

"Ok but we need time to explain why more information on our decision was a bad thing."

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Flip Yr Wig posted:

For those that just stumbled into the thread for the day, could the people debating the merits of left authoritarianism in the wake of the acquittal actually define what policies and political strategies they're talking about?

The defenses of authoritarianism are off-putting and clearly incorrect but I’m somewhat sympathetic to people who look at our trajectory on climate action and only see a possible solution if an empowered executive could do poo poo like unilaterally nationalize certain industries or force compliance without letting a legislature that kowtows to chuds and plutocrats muck up the process.

Doesn’t mean it isn’t wrong tho. But it’s an extension of the “if I was in charge I’d make this important thing, this other important thing, and this third important thing happen” thought process and I can’t really fault people for entertaining it when poo poo always feels so dire.

Like the Primary Thread had a “what would you do if you were Lex Luthor” chat the other day. It was fun.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

the best part is he made the explicit decision to make the city actively antagonistic to anyone who made less than 100K, in the name of making it a playground for the super-rich

he's the realignment the Third Way people were trying to make happen in 2016 incarnate. a party that believes in civil rights in the abstract and purging all those icky poors from anywhere near where they live in practice.

one of the dipshits pushing it got probed for it, and the other one's an anprim weirdo whose explicit endgame is the death of 90% of the human population. number two I can easily shut down, number one i'm not going to pretend to speak for. i'd really like some arguments for shutting people like that down beyond saying 'that could end badly,' though, for the reasons I've laid out.

Well, it's not like we don't have multiple examples over the last hundred years or so of authoritarian countries running what we view as left leaning policies that had atrocious human rights records and eventually collapsed due to those broken systems (usually after creating huge global problems and/or gently caress-tons of people dying) or yanked the curtains down and just went full on "Whatever benefits dear leader".

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
https://twitter.com/SenAlexander/status/1223093596527656964
this right motherfucking here

"yes the president did it"
"NOT GUILTY!"
"we all know he did it."
"INOOCENT!!"
"there's no doubt in anyone's mind."
"READ THE TRANSCRIPTS PERFECT PHONE CALL!!"
"but we just need to move on"
"THE MOST INNOCENT AND HARRESED PRESIDENT EVER!!"
"and let the people"
"NEVER DONE ANYTHING WRONG IN MY LIFE!!"
"decide."
"COMPLETELY EXHONERATED!!! READ THE TRANSCRIPTS NO QUID PRO QUO!!"
"what value is there in reaffirming what we all know?"
"TRUMP 2024 KEEP AMERICIA GRAPES!!"

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Are y'all arguing with YMB or just repeatedly quoting the wrong posts? Because the point they're making is not the one you're apparently responding to.

Which is, by my reading:

'Authoritarianism is bad, but if you want to persuade people who are growing sympathetic to authoritarian leftism, away from those sympathies, you're going to have to do better than "but they might do things you strongly disagree with" because that's already happening a lot.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I'm not really sure what we are going to do if Trump gets a second term, besides hoping that he dies quickly.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Bull and poo poo.

You are arguing literally nothing but "my side is good. The wolves would never eat MY face."

Even leftists are not all on the same side and you are displaying either massive ignorance or massive privilege to assume your theoretical progressive dictatorship will not end up making GBS threads on vulnerable people.

What happens if your dictatorship is run by a TERF? Or a progressive in most areas casual homophobe? Or by someone who pretends to be progressive but is abusing women behind closed doors. This isn't hand-wringing. This is something vulnerable leftists have to deal with even from people "on their side" and needs to be answered with something besides "but other side bad!"

and what did you learn, in 2016, about the effectiveness of "The wolves would never eat MY face" vs. "no really they're gonna eat your face, so just sit there and let us keep munching on it."

this is hand-wringing. hand-wringing about a genuine problem. but it's hand-wringing. and you have seen what the results are when hand-wringing goes up against a positive vision of the future, no matter how blatant and monstrous its likely failure states are.

you need to advocate a positive vision of the future that does not share those failure states to hold that monstrosity back. "ah, c'mon, it's not bad enough to gamble on those crazy assholes yet" has been tried, and it failed miserably.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

The problem is that you've been duped by the propaganda that aggressively fighting back is becoming a "ghoul" like they are. You also seem to think that a given tactic has the same moral value regardless if what it is in service of.

That seems like quite a jump from thinking "suffering is bad and should be alleviated" to thinking "suffering is bad but not for people I deem not worthy of help".

I am very much for fighting back aggressively, but I am very loving much against human suffering, no matter how colossally stupid the recipients may or may not be.

And again, there's an element of pure spite in me that believes the best punishment is friendbot's method - help flip a state so blue that several counties want to leave and join another state.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Nah. If a buttload of racist white American olds who wanna see people who look like me die in the desert got coronavirus and choked on their own inflamed lungs the country would be measurably better.

Guess I’m gonna go get my food at the local graveyard now cuz I just enrolled in Ghoul School chump

:dunkedon:

I really have no rebuttal for this, one because it's true I have a fraction of the skin in the game like you do. I realize I am speaking from a position of privilege, and I'm sincerely sorry for that and for coming off as naive.

Two, you're actually doing something positive by forming a PAC. I don't have any pacs at all. I'm going to donate what I can, once I get some extra scratch. Volunteer, do something, get involved because it's a historically great time to do that!

Just remember, I really do believe you guys are better than the ghouls out there. Be at least a little kinder than the monsters you rightfully hate.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

and what did you learn, in 2016, about the effectiveness of "The wolves would never eat MY face" vs. "no really they're gonna eat your face, so just sit there and let us keep munching on it."

this is hand-wringing. hand-wringing about a genuine problem. but it's hand-wringing. and you have seen what the results are when hand-wringing goes up against a positive vision of the future, no matter how blatant and monstrous its likely failure states are.

you need to advocate a positive vision of the future that does not share those failure states to hold that monstrosity back. "ah, c'mon, it's not bad enough to gamble on those crazy assholes yet" has been tried, and it failed miserably.

Then you can't succeed because "I will fix everything with my unlimited power" can't be beaten in positive visions.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

So what exactly are you advocating here, YMB? I’m having trouble parsing it.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Electric Bugaloo posted:

The defenses of authoritarianism are off-putting and clearly incorrect but I’m somewhat sympathetic to people who look at our trajectory on climate action and only see a possible solution if an empowered executive could do poo poo like unilaterally nationalize certain industries or force compliance without letting a legislature that kowtows to chuds and plutocrats muck up the process.

Doesn’t mean it isn’t wrong tho. But it’s an extension of the “if I was in charge I’d make this important thing, this other important thing, and this third important thing happen” thought process and I can’t really fault people for entertaining it when poo poo always feels so dire.

Like the Primary Thread had a “what would you do if you were Lex Luthor” chat the other day. It was fun.

IMO 'lex luthor' discussions are kinda part and parcel of a consumerist, egocentric attitude towards politics that is all too prevalent in leftist circles. And its always been a short step from such an attitude to wishing for a strongman that just happens to mirror your every view be in power and run roughshod over everyone you disagree with.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/nytmike/status/1223290139679567872

bolton''s good at this

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

Glad to see we're back in another "welcome to 1000 years of republican darkness" thread era, I've missed it

Now someone post about how form of government is irrelevant because the planet will become an uninhabitable cinder

We did that yesterday, except it was retirement accounts instead of government.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Why are people acting like old people getting locked out of a Trump rally is some kind of human rights violation? Just go the gently caress home! You're not "trapped in the cold" or whatever, you are voluntarily at a nazi rally and the nazis have locked you out. Go home and learn something from this.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Yes, but it was a bluff.

They don’t want Hunter Biden on the stand potentially poking holes in their narrative and they want the trial over as quickly as possible. But even if he gave a slam dunk testimony they would be able to effectively spin it to their base, and probably a few independents (Hillary testifying on Benghazi for 8 hours) so it’s not really a bad deal on paper.

The only reason it’s not the winningest option for the GOP is because shutting this down ASAP is more vital to them than anything else.

But the democrats could’ve called their bluff and offered Hunter up immediately and voluntarily. Either actually try to exchange him for Bolton/etc (not just “I’d maybe consider it if they asked and offered a worthy trade”), or force the Republicans’ hand and just be like “ok! Let’s get him in here! Come on down Hunter!” with no demand for an exchange.

The Dems could’ve forced the GOP’s hand to either sit through the Hunter Saga and pretend they wanted it while trying to get out of it, or publicly reject the offer outright in the interest of acquitting Trump sooner.

Maybe not a “dog finally catches the car” scenario, but a “dog eats a hot wheels car and has a bad afternoon at the vet” scenario.

Whatever. If she’d frozen it would be one less surefire Trump voter.

(before somebody calls for a probation over this comment, people were actively calling for QAnoners to drink and buttchug bleach the other day)

The appropriate response to Republicans calling for Biden to testify is to tell them to do it. Lindsey loving Graham is the chairman of the Senate Judiciary committee he can subpoena him anytime he wants.

Making any kind of deal on the question of witnesses would lend legitimacy to the Republican lie that Biden has any bearing on the matter.

The goal here is to make the Republicans show their rear end and they are doing exactly that.

Removal was never on the table, this has always been about showing the American people exactly who the Republican party is.

:matters: until it does, this constant pessimism is no more rational than the #resistance fanfiction that supercop Mueller would drag Trump away in handcuffs.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

The man's a soulless bureaucracy elemental. Of course he's good at this.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/AndrewDesiderio/status/1223295599681986560

this is actually a moderately big deal between totally changing the time line and that Cippollone was involved from the start (we already kinda new this but Bolton would testify that)

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

DreamingofRoses posted:

So what exactly are you advocating here, YMB? I’m having trouble parsing it.

the issue I see is that it is obvious to all parties a compromise-based system of American government is well and truly dead. the question of what will replace it, as escalating climate crises hit, is probably going to define most of your and my adult lives.

when I said the amprim idiot i can shut down, it's because it's very easy to formulate a positive vision better than his: "let's not kill 90% of the earth's population in the name of your flagellatory bloodlust." when someone argues that a more authoritarian left is a worthwhile goal, things get a lot hazier, because the current structure of the Democratic Party is such that it wields -no- authority outside its own membership, by the active design of its leadership over the past thirty years, and anyone arguing that the Dems should start acting like a party that has political goals it seeks to accomplish is met with "oh, so you want us to act like Republicans?"

it is the opposite of surprising that this is met with a screamed "YES, YOU loving COWARDS, YOU SIGNED OFF ON CONCENTRATION CAMPS BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T WANT TO ACT LIKE THEM."

you need to ennumerate your positive vision of the future, that avoids concentration camps and stalinism both. because if you give me the choice between continuing to sign off on death camps for the untermenschen and Let's Make Alexandria Occasio-Cortez Stalin 2: She Says She Won't Eat My Face, not gonna lie, i'm going to have a hard time not picking option two.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So I guess any time in the future the president brings up the impeachment trial and calls it a sham or hoax trial he will be right.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

IMO 'lex luthor' discussions are kinda part and parcel of a consumerist, egocentric attitude towards politics that is all too prevalent in leftist circles. And its always been a short step from such an attitude to wishing for a strongman that just happens to mirror your every view be in power and run roughshod over everyone you disagree with.

There's also a lot of different flavors that mix things up.

Do away with the executive? Now legislature is more or less deadlocked once the elections stabilize to 51% approval rate

Focus on putting high education people into roles? End up like China, where their engineer-run nation will execute 49% of the population if it benefits the other 51% because the math adds up.

Go full dictator with someone who seems on the up and up? Lmao

Ultimately there isn't anything wrong with the US' model of government, the issues lies in the citizenry that is extremely hostile to the idea of being wrong. I know, "you are not immune to propaganda", but that goes every which way. Critical thinking is not encouraged, and that creates situations like we have today. If we can fix the people then the system will fall in line.

Is compromise possible? Sure, but not when one party is full of loving nazis.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Literally Kermit posted:

Two, you're actually doing something positive by forming a PAC. I don't have any pacs at all. I'm going to donate what I can, once I get some extra scratch. Volunteer, do something, get involved because it's a historically great time to do that!

Bruh, GOONPAC is not a real pac. It says so in the OP. It’s a list of cool candidates and a hugbox for people who wanna support them. Do not send the FEC after my—or Lowtax’s—rear end.

As for the unquoted rest of your post you sound like a classic white incrementalist to me, and my tolerance for that kind of rhetoric online, and in my meatspace life, is wearing thin.

It reminds me of the calls for civility from the NYT set to Dr King while he was alive and the whitewashing of his, and the broader civil rights movement’s, legacy by white establishmentarians after his death.

This is a cold civil war, and they drew first blood (and second blood, and third blood, and fourth blood) not me.

Skex posted:

The appropriate response to Republicans calling for Biden to testify is to tell them to do it. Lindsey loving Graham is the chairman of the Senate Judiciary committee he can subpoena him anytime he wants.

The post you’re quoting pretty much agrees with you.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Elon Musk is the biggest loving idiot on the planet so I guess we're gonna die

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1223172311546724352?s=20

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

https://twitter.com/mjcontrera/status/1223299951989608449

"I mean, have you seen my wife?"

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

oxsnard posted:

He released a bizarre-rear end track this week, hence the EDM nomenclature change

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
https://twitter.com/johncardillo/status/1223298424935735296?s=20

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/ShimonPro/status/1223301661726330888

seems like maybe some unrelated crime that accidentally ended up at mar-a-lago? idk

trump's not there now anyways

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

oxsnard posted:

So glad this idiot can't run for president, because I'm sure he would if he could

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Musk would be in Yang's cabinet.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

oxsnard posted:

I literally hate to praise Musk but he's not wrong on this. Corona is having some major issues with it functionally presenting the same as a flu right up until the whole horrific shift thing and there's actually a really bad flu strain right now (hey folks if you want a disease to be scared of, be scared of how we keep getting worse and worse flu outbreaks!!!!!. There's a lot of confusion between Corona and similar illnesses, even at death in some cases. It probably does have a bad mortality rate for what it is but it's not 100% clear yet.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Bruh, GOONPAC is not a real pac. It says so in the OP. It’s a list of cool candidates and a hugbox for people who wanna support them. Do not send the FEC after my—or Lowtax’s—rear end.

Well I am all for a good hugbox and I'm no snitch, so I'm going to get involved anyway!

As for the unquoted rest of your post, is it okay if we take it to PMs? I had some general questions.

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

eke out posted:

[/b]
This feels like a ploy to make it slightly less obvious that this is a sham trial. Trying to convince some number of the GOP voters who were in favor of calling witnesses that they have done their due diligence.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
so I guess I'm not really 'agreeing' with him since he's saying it won't be worse than influenza when that's literally impossible even if there is some over-correcting going on.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Ague Proof posted:

Musk would be in Yang's cabinet.

Look, I know you had no way of knowing I just ate but :cmon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/joelockhart/status/1223300504652013568