Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

christmas boots posted:

why did you do that?

I'm anxiously waiting on their answer to this. it's something you do to someone who loses a bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
https://twitter.com/nsno_83/status/865312017044918275

Doccykins has issued a correction as of 12:33 on Jan 31, 2020

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Halser posted:

Trump thinks the f35 is invisible

Thinks coyotes are actual animals

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

The navy paid a guy to give acid to dolphins and make them have sex with women so they could learn to speak english and teach the human race how to communicate with aliens

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Look man if you wanna talk about the good things the military does go to GiP

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Jeb asserting that if given the option, he would kill baby Hitler

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Jeb should have said that it would be more important to prevent the situation that led to Hitler's rise, especially given that Hitler was just one man at the head of an organized movement funded by capital in reaction to the failures of liberalism and the economicwarfare of Versailles, and that given the option between killing baby hitler and joining the German communist revolutions that happened after the war, he would have died fighting for the working class

If vote for comrade jeb

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
sad nobody asked if he would abort foetus hitler

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Krazyface posted:

Jeb asserting that if given the option, he would kill baby Hitler

hell yeah

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The documentary "Spin"; the part when Katie Couric was completely dismissive of some Native American guy who said Columbus was a genocidal rear end in a top hat.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Algund Eenboom posted:

The navy paid a guy to give acid to dolphins and make them have sex with women so they could learn to speak english and teach the human race how to communicate with aliens

lol

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
The dolphin basically committed suicide after getting separated from his lady friend too

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

christmas boots posted:

why did you do that?

I want to give you a good answer but the truth is I've got a job where I listen to podcasts for 40-50 hours a week. At first it was the whole reason anyone listens to it, for the occasionally cool stories of everyday people in extraordinary situations but then I found a pirate feed with the entire backcatalog available and instead of hunting and pecking for ones that sounded decent, I figured I've got the time I'd do them roughly in reverse order, downloading 10-20 at a time.

I decided I'd do the whole thing when I started noticing the trends in what they were reporting. There was still regular episodes on normal people and those were the only ones really worth listening to still, but the giant swaths of episodes about current events became really interesting from the perspective of "Is this really how this was talked about in the moment?"

Like it was obvious propaganda during the 2008 economic crisis but I remembered that clearly enough anyway. The Iraq war was a different because now it's a Republican administration so there's a lot of handwringing about are we doing the right thing along with sprinkled stories of Bush administration abuses. When you're doing them all in a row and covering months or years in a week it's really obvious the shift between which party is in the White House because you only get "We're abusing immigrants" stories post-Trump or "Golly these wars aren't going so well" stories in the GWB admin, never in the Obama era.

Once I was in the Bush era the end was close enough that at this point I was going to do it just to see what happened. Once I got through the disputed 2000 election (literally something I forgot about entirely) it's like passing into another dimension. The first hundred or 150 are in the Clinton admin and though I remember the 90s well, I didn't remember the public discourse to be anything like NPR presented it. As an example, you wouldn't think there'd be a lot of hard-R N-words on the radio said by white people but guess what?

Now that it's over I'm glad I did it but would not recommend it to anyone. I found it really illuminating just how "off" my memory of eras has been compared to what the (admittedly liberal elite) media narrative was at the time.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Also on further reflection I can't think of anything else that's been on continuously for that long with the same producers and audience that would even allow for a cultural survey of that nature. The Simpsons and South Park are the only things vaguely similar and they'd pose their own problems.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/virgiltexas/status/1126679561285111809

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

He lost my vote. I'm stanning Buttigieg, but only if he reads my petition on why the new films are better than the prequels.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Need archives

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/KrillTusk/status/1223110723041030146?s=19

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Echo Chamber posted:

The documentary "Spin"; the part when Katie Couric was completely dismissive of some Native American guy who said Columbus was a genocidal rear end in a top hat.

completely dismissive of some Native American guy

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

LastInLine posted:

Also on further reflection I can't think of anything else that's been on continuously for that long with the same producers and audience that would even allow for a cultural survey of that nature. The Simpsons and South Park are the only things vaguely similar and they'd pose their own problems.
I watched the Daily Show marathon they did leading up to Stewart's last episode. For context, I'm more of a Stewart apologist than most of CSPAM.

Obviously, its run is shorter than TAL, Simpsons, or South Park.

Shifts in editorial choices aren't as interesting as TAL. There was some ableist, homophobic, and transphobic jokes during the Bush years. Show started out more "apolitical", originally being a Weekend Update knockoff. Stewart's relationship with the American Empire was complex; sometimes he echoed the liberal internationalist "we can do better" angle during the Bush years, other times the show was blunt with the "we invaded Iraq for the oil" joke; there were a few moments where he swallowed some of the war propaganda. (Remember that news cycle where US media framed that one Iraqi election as a success? Ink fingers?)

Most of it was not new since I watched TDS consistently from 2002 to 2018 (when I finally stopped giving Trevor Noah the benefit of the doubt). A lot of my political memory is tied to TDS, and whether I agreed or not with their take.

Echo Chamber has issued a correction as of 16:38 on Jan 31, 2020

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

https://entertainment.theonion.com/this-american-life-completes-documentation-of-liberal-1819569071

These could be modern day podcast episode titles

Feldegast42 has issued a correction as of 16:45 on Jan 31, 2020

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

So loving ahead of his time.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Krankenstyle posted:

completely dismissive of some Native American guy

lol

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Wow, president bernie!

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
finally a Bernie policy I can get behind

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

What the hell about planes makes people weirdly horny? Like, i have never been anything but some variety of annoyed or unconcious during a flight.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

One More Fat Nerd posted:

What the hell about planes makes people weirdly horny? Like, i have never been anything but some variety of annoyed or unconcious during a flight.

Sadly that won't stop a Biden staffer from giving you a handjob :(

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
J.O. Biden

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

https://twitter.com/michaelrapaport/status/968982778925600771

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

maybe the pressure differential helps if you have erectile dysfunction? im told you cant get boners in space but maybe flying in a plane is the only way that rich people can get boners?

i mean its either that or the child sex slaves

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Krankenstyle posted:

maybe the pressure differential helps if you have erectile dysfunction? im told you cant get boners in space but maybe flying in a plane is the only way that rich people can get boners?

i mean its either that or the child sex slaves

i bet i could get a boner in space. also good post/username combo

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
When Hulu removed the Anthony Bourdain episode in Iran to begin the prep for war because it humanized Iranians after the us assassinated the Iranian general

...one month ago

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
the United States straight up assasinating an Iranian general in 2019

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

sleep with the vicious posted:

When Hulu removed the Anthony Bourdain episode in Iran to begin the prep for war because it humanized Iranians after the us assassinated the Iranian general

...one month ago

According to Hulu, with the live tv part they only get access to the on-demand episodes the network provides and not the whole library, and that the network has never provided this episode.

CNN is the network

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

They said no hand OUTS

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

El_Elegante posted:

the United States straight up assasinating a pedo pimp for their own elite in 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
David Cameron hosed A Dead Pig