Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the Super Bowl?
This poll is closed.
Kansas City Chiefs 65 0.71%
San Francisco 49ers 42 0.46%
Goku 9016 98.52%
Lamar is the MVP 28 0.31%
Total: 9151 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Android Apocalypse posted:

Is it me or does it seem the death of Kobe Bryant has sucked up a lot of the sports news oxygen this week? The few times I've been watching TV I noticed more things about Bryant than talk about the Super Bowl.

I'm thinking of making deep-fried wings for Sunday.

It absolutely has and for good reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/cincinnatizoo/status/1223310515365208064?s=21

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I need to figure out what I'm contributing besides my house for the bounty. For the AFC championship game I made boneless wings, but it made the house stink and I don't want to cut up chicken and bread it and all that trash for two hours again.

I know tonight I'm going to cold smoke some cheese for a cheese and sausage platter

What I know is coming so far:
Various Dips
Burnt Ends
Burnt End and Potato Soup
Potato Skins
Pizzas
Stuffed Mushrooms
Little Smokies
Smoked Cheese and Sausage
Apparently Drummettes in the oven
Whatever pinterest-looking snack my buddy's wife makes

It feels like a lot of food, but if it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

What could I make Saturday or just make Sunday Morning that wouldn't add too much to the chaos.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

do you live in KC

If so go to McGonigle's and get the pit beans. They're insane

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

No Butt Stuff posted:

I need to figure out what I'm contributing besides my house for the bounty. For the AFC championship game I made boneless wings, but it made the house stink and I don't want to cut up chicken and bread it and all that trash for two hours again.

I know tonight I'm going to cold smoke some cheese for a cheese and sausage platter

Various Dips
Burnt Ends
Potato Skins
Pizzas
Stuffed Mushrooms
Little Smokies

What could I make Saturday or just make Sunday Morning that wouldn't add too much to the chaos.

Fresh Guacamole is never a bad look.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

Fresh Guacamole is never a bad look.

He's not a 49ers fan so 86 the snot fruit

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

No Butt Stuff posted:

Various Dips
Burnt Ends
Potato Skins
Pizzas
Stuffed Mushrooms
Little Smokies

Look up spin artichoke dip in a bread bowl. It takes like 15 minutes (baking time not included) and has been a hit everytime I have ever made it for anything.

Also, deviled eggs.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I remember that beer bread recipe was always a winner back when we had the super bowl food threads, but I do not remember the recipe.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

OxySnake posted:

I'm going to my parents house to dog sit their chocolate lab.

So I'm gonna have some beers, eat some food, and rub his belly.

this is a good time right here. give that chocolate lab belly a rub for me :3:

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

No Butt Stuff posted:

Various Dips
Burnt Ends
Potato Skins
Pizzas
Stuffed Mushrooms
Little Smokies

I’d say make some of the Serious Eats garlic focaccia, it’s stupidly easy, especially if you don’t bother with the roast garlic (though it’s better with it), just assemble the dough on Saturday, bake it on Sunday morning, and it’ll be a great chip alternative for dips!

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I'm making 6 pounds of smoked heroin wings (with cayenne added) on Sunday morning to take to my friend's house. No, I don't know why they're called that

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

No Butt Stuff posted:

Various Dips
Burnt Ends
Potato Skins
Pizzas
Stuffed Mushrooms
Little Smokies

Some kind of macaroni salad or potato salad would balance all the meat heavy stuff. Saw this on PBS last week and it looked good: https://interactive.wttw.com/playlist/2019/10/11/hawaiian-macaroni-salad-cooks-country

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Spoeank posted:

I'm making 6 pounds of smoked heroin wings (with cayenne added) on Sunday morning to take to my friend's house. No, I don't know why they're called that

Post the recipe

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

a neat cape posted:

Yea, the nfl and other media owners dont want people talking about the saints coverup

Kobe threw balls in a hoop. There are plenty of other people who do that too. Is the media even bringing up his rape?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Spoeank posted:

Must be wheez the roux's recipe.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

I made a thread for Superbowl food recipes.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3912945

Please post the heroin wing recipe there.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

got any sevens posted:

Kobe threw balls in a hoop. There are plenty of other people who do that too. Is the media even bringing up his rape?

A Washington Post reporter got suspended for tweeting about it.

I guess she's reinstated now, but the knee jerk reaction was to suspend her.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

got any sevens posted:

Yea, the nfl and other media owners dont want people talking about the saints coverup

Are you real

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound

OxySnake posted:

I'm going to my parents house to dog sit their chocolate lab.

So I'm gonna have some beers, eat some food, and rub his belly.

This, to me, is the perfect Super bowl sunday

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

RASHIBA WALLACE posted:

This, to me, is the perfect Super bowl sunday

I'll post pictures in the chat thread when I'm there. My Aunts black lab will likely be there too and hes my favorite because he will bark at me until I sit on the couch so he can climb all over me and get the pets. :3:

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Nodoze posted:

this is a good time right here. give that chocolate lab belly a rub for me :3:

Can confirm that chocolate labs are the best dogs in the world.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Mutts are actually better than your dumb pure bred dogs with their retard genes.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Mutts are actually better than your dumb pure bred dogs with their retard genes.

:yeah:

I have a lab/pit/some sort of hound from the local shelter and she is very stupid, very powerful, and she will live forever.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lurchers and Longdogs

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

a neat cape posted:

Are you real

Its Kobes fault everyone died

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Boy, if people are this mad about dissing Kobe for his failings, imagine how furious people are going to be when Jordan finally goes.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Oh god, reading that was kind of sobering... Jordan still here but Kobe isn't...

Anyway, NYT predicts a 9ers win by the points.

Sounds conservative, might hold up.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

A.o.D. posted:

Boy, if people are this mad about dissing Kobe for his failings, imagine how furious people are going to be when Jordan finally goes.

I remember when Wilt died I made a joke about the all the women he slept with thing and an older guy who'd lived through him playing chastised me for it.

People love their guys who throw balls through hoops.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 31, 2020

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

a neat cape posted:

What really made Kobe have such a huge impact? Being the face of the league post Jordan as it moved to hd+LA? It's weird because I never thought of him as much more than a higher volume Reggie Miller and didn't pay much attention to the NBA between Jordan retiring in 98 and them getting Rose

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

mastershakeman posted:

What really made Kobe have such a huge impact? Being the face of the league post Jordan as it moved to hd+LA? It's weird because I never thought of him as much more than a higher volume Reggie Miller and didn't pay much attention to the NBA between Jordan retiring in 98 and them getting Rose

The top basketball players are a brand and far, far more popular then any NFL player could hope to be.

He was the best player on the most famous team who won a bunch of championships over a 2 decade career.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

it's probably because everyone has yelled his name when aiming for trash cans for the last two decades

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Kalli posted:

The top basketball players are a brand and far, far more popular then any NFL player could hope to be.

He was the best player on the most famous team who won a bunch of championships over a 2 decade career.

Yeah my NBA loving friend is explaining it to me as him being in the public eye forever, the titles, the scoring, but then also maintaining the brand after he retired instead of vanishing like AI

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

mastershakeman posted:

vanishing like AI

Iverson had some other problems that contributed to that. Which manages to make his career both more impressive and sadder.

I will agree that in a football focused forum 2 days before what should actually be an exciting super bowl based on the matchup and that it's not the Pats the fact that we're spending this much time talking about the NBA is probably not a good thing for the NFL.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Grittybeard posted:

Iverson had some other problems that contributed to that. Which manages to make his career both more impressive and sadder.

I will agree that in a football focused forum 2 days before what should actually be an exciting super bowl based on the matchup and that it's not the Pats the fact that we're spending this much time talking about the NBA is probably not a good thing for the NFL.

Everyone knows the game is gonna suck to watch because it's 50% ads and won't be over before your screaming toddler needs to be put to bed

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

Everyone knows the game is gonna suck to watch because it's 50% ads and won't be over before your screaming toddler needs to be put to bed
lol if you go to parties with friends who have children or, worse, have your own

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

No Butt Stuff posted:

Then I'm going to wake up early and go to loving Topeka.

Holy loving poo poo dude... I am so, so sorry.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

I dont think it says anything particularly bad for the NFL. Kobe stuff and dying the way he did would have taken over anything

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Kobe is one of the most famous athletes on the planet, and a top 3 basketball icon especially to anyone under 50. It’s kinda crazy that goons in this thread are surprised that his sudden death is big news

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

That said, it definitely has completely overshadowed the superbowl hype, but that's also because the 2 week break completely kills the momentum and this happens every year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Kobe is one of the most famous athletes on the planet, and a top 3 basketball icon especially to anyone under 50. It’s kinda crazy that goons in this thread are surprised that his sudden death is big news

I hate the Lakers and rooted against Kobe for two decades and this entire week has left me in a very sad daze