Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

sebzilla posted:

I think it's possible if you count evolutions (some of which would be pretty OP for that point in the game but he might have them in a box for some reason)

This is a blind LP you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Tenebrais posted:

This is a blind LP you know.

A blind LP with no spoiler policy! :imunfunny:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Seyser Koze posted:

A blind LP with no spoiler policy! :imunfunny:

Yeah, I actually went back and checked the OP and then removed the spoiler tags in my post!

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
We're Never Going to Saffron, Are We

Last time, we beat Kaz's rear end again and climbed six-sevenths of a haunted tower before getting blocked by a not-so-friendly ghost. There's nothing much else going on in Lavender, so it looks like it's time to move on.

Just in case we needed confirmation, this kid out in front of the tower was absolutely just messing with us.

We know what lies to the south, but we may as well be thorough.

The road immediately turns into this boardwalk. The sign says north to Lavender, which we knew, but nobody bothered to write "South to BIG FAT SLEEPING THING" on it.

Before too long we have one of these waystations. Near as I can tell, there's no magnificent view upstairs, just a girl.

You can have this TM. I don't need it anymore...

:smith:

:j:If you treat your POKEMON good,

She hands us the TM for the Return skill, which seems like it might be useful to give to one of our regulars. I'm not actually sure how you check a Pokemon's loyalty to you, though.

The rest of the boardwalk (pier? it doesn't seem like there's any place for boats to land, though) is home to these fishermen.

I'm trying to level up a couple new team members. I figure plants will resist water, right? Well, roughly half of the trainer Pokemon in this are are Goldeens, who can almost one-shot Felicia here (when they're not confusing her).

(not pictured: a Goldeen)

:mad:

More fish.

Felicia gets thrashed on a regular basis, so Amuro keeps having to do cleanup (and I have to keep running back to Lavender). Not much else to say here.

Yeah, it seems like it would be nice to have a rod that could catch something besides Magikarps. Not that I'd be complaining about another Gyarados.

I have no idea how I'm supposed to reach that thing.

:wtc:

There was a Tentacool mixed in here somewhere. It's gone now.

Well, you beat me at POKEMON, but you can't top me at fishing.

Maybe I could if I had a better rod.

More fishermen, more sea creatures.

At the southern end of the boardwalk, we have this couple. The last time we met a boyfriend and girlfriend we had two fights on our hands.

But these two both come after us at once!

Two trainers, two Pokemon, two of my own guys. Too bad for them that they're week against karate chops.

:doh:

Because I'm a true warrior. :black101:

:laugh:

And now we're back to semi-familiar territory. Fatty's still not budging, though. Nothing left to do but turn around and head back to Lavender.

Okay, Saffron City is now the only place we could possibly be going next.

Our first challenger on Route 8 is this girl. Cute, round, and fluffy? That could only be our Primeape! :frogbon:

It wasn't a Primeape.

:j:I read that in a POKEMON JOURNAL. I wonder if it's true?

This is going to be one of those limited-resource things, isn't it? I'm pretty sure I picked up a Moon Stone back in Mt. Moon, but I might leave this one up to a thread vote when the time comes.

Gamer powers are helpless against karate chops.

If only somebody made a game about Pokemon. Someday...

The only tall grass on the route is behind this tree, and as it happens, I don't have Serf with me to cut it down. Oops!

Heading up past the grass, I get tackled by this guy.

Grimer.

My name is Muk, thanks a... actually, I can't think of anything to finish that line.

The assorted sludge beasts all erupt into flames when Aznable sneezes on them.

Fire plus waste equals death? Makes perfect sense to me.

Wait.

WAIT.

It's time!

Immediately we have to toss an old skill. Scratch is pretty old and low-power at this point, so I feel okay dropping it.

At long last, Aznable achieves his final form. (Also I only just figured out that that symbol next to the Pokemon's height and weight is what their footprints look like.)

Charizard's actually shorter than I thought. Maybe he'll get bigger if I feed him some trainers? Let's move on.

Are these dual-fights going to be a regular occurrence from now on?

The twins have a Jigglypuff and Clefairy, neither of which manage to do anything. I picture the wing attack as Az just holding up a limb and clotheslining the enemy as they try to approach.

If my experience playing FF4 tells me anything, it's that twin power kinda sucks, kids.

Also, Felicia's finally evolving!

...Get it away from me.

No seriously, get it away. How does the cute little radish mon grow into a big oozing rafflesia-mon?

I move on hoping to get away from the stench. Up ahead there's this row of trainers, but before my brain can register them, the nerd lunges out of the crowd to attack me.

:smaug:

:awesome:We're stuck here because of the gates at SAFFRON.

Well, that bodes poorly for our progress.

The rest of the trainer conga line also wants to fight.

Sure enough, we have a Nidoran (F), and...

Don't give my Pokemon that come-hither look, you're not taking him. Also I'll have you know that Aznable has a lousy history with women.

:byodood: WHY???!?

Ugh. Too true.

Shocking nobody, this one has a bunch of Meowths (and yells "Meooowwww!" when defeated.)

Also this happens. I haven't even been using Mr. Nido, he's just basking in the shared experience from being first in the lineup.

Eh, I guess.

That... that's actually really powerful. Like "how are other Pokemon still alive?" powerful.

Queue Trainer #4 has some self-awareness.

She also has the most Pokemon that I've seen on a single trainer to this point.

Unfortunately for her, it's all Pidgeys and Rattatas and Meowths.

Hey, at least they had the honor of dying to my awesome dragonmon. :smaug:

:j:I know he's doing his job, but I think he's mean.

:sigh: Yep, it's happening again.

Just past the one Nerd and his Lass harem, we have something new. These bikers ride around in circles constantly.

Well, I have a bike too. Face me, knave!

The bikers just seem to have Grimers and Koffings, so I guess they're a smoke/pollution-themed trainer type.

drat right I am.

Pfft, whatever. Maybe your buddy will put up a better fight.

Or not.

That sucks, man.

That looks like the end of Route 8.

Shocking nobody, the waystation has one of these jerks inside, telling you you can't pass.

Okay, so we're not going to Saffron. Let's check out the last couple of guys on the route.

Is magnetism considered part of chemistry?

Either way, the answer is more fire.

And last is yet another gamer.

Whoa. :lsd:

I swapped out Thunder Wave for Thunderbolt. We'll see how it goes.

Stop gambling, then!

The game world is going to a lot of effort to keep us from going to its main city.

:j:Do you go there often?

I guess we have this to look forward to, even if it's not Saffron.

First, though, I need to go back, heal up, and check out that grass area. Next time.

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jan 22, 2020

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Woo, Charizard! This team is really getting powered up.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Hell yeah getting the last form of your starter is the best feeling.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Chamale posted:

Woo, Charizard! This team is really getting powered up.

Or rather, the one pokemon that has ten levels on all the others is getting powered up.

It's just like being a child playing Pokemon for the first time again.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Nice! Charizard is always cool. Though I've always loved the Nido-family's looks too

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

I don't remember if it was mentioned, but the P.I. trainers (or were they Gamers in this game) were originally Gamblers.

But the moral guardians complained, so all instances of gambling in the series were slowly phased out. Which makes some of the Trainer Classes make less sense, because Gamblers, as their name suggest, gamble in battle by using OHKO moves that have low accuracy.

Edit:

Ah, I see the anime writing staff cameos in this game.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jan 22, 2020

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I don't remember if it was mentioned, but the P.I. trainers (or were they Gamers in this game) were originally Gamblers.

But the moral guardians complained, so all instances of gambling in the series were slowly phased out. Which makes some of the Trainer Classes make less sense, because Gamblers, as their name suggest, gamble in battle by using OHKO moves that have low accuracy.

However, the gamblers only started using OHKO moves in Gen IV, so Firered predates that. In this game, they have no special traits in battle.

The funniest censorship comes from the translation. In the original Japanese, the old man who "hasn't had his coffee yet" is drunk. The hiker who is "uncontrollably sneezing" is uncontrollably laughing because he ate some strange mushrooms. In Japanese X/Y, there's a woman who says "Only half a year ago I was a Karate King. Isn't medical science amazing?" In English, she says more vaguely "A mere half a year ago I used to be a Black Belt. Quite the transformation, wouldn't you say?"

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Chamale posted:

However, the gamblers only started using OHKO moves in Gen IV, so Firered predates that. In this game, they have no special traits in battle.

The funniest censorship comes from the translation. In the original Japanese, the old man who "hasn't had his coffee yet" is drunk. The hiker who is "uncontrollably sneezing" is uncontrollably laughing because he ate some strange mushrooms. In Japanese X/Y, there's a woman who says "Only half a year ago I was a Karate King. Isn't medical science amazing?" In English, she says more vaguely "A mere half a year ago I used to be a Black Belt. Quite the transformation, wouldn't you say?"

Booo Nintendo! Let the Karate Queen shine in all her glory!

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
The gamblers' gimmick is that they use all Pokemon of the same type, but you don't know what that type is until you fight them. Yeah, it's kind of weak.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

It's worth noting that Black Belt is a male-exclusive trainer type so it's still saying the same thing, just less directly for some reason.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Seyser Koze posted:

That... that's actually really powerful. Like "how are other Pokemon still alive?" powerful.

Because diamond isn't actually all that strong! :eng101: When people say it's the hardest substance on Earth, they're using the geological definition of 'hardness', which means how much it resists being scratched! You could easily shatter a diamond just by smacking it with a regular old hammer! Sure, in a way, that's still impressive for an animal using its own horn, but not quite "murder beast on a rampage" impressive.

...But of course, this is anime, where diamond is literally one of the most powerful materials known to man, so the ACTUAL answer is just that every Pokemon is inhumanely durable, able to withstand gigatons of force and only 'faint' rather than dying horribly.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

serefin99 posted:

Because diamond isn't actually all that strong! :eng101: When people say it's the hardest substance on Earth, they're using the geological definition of 'hardness', which means how much it resists being scratched! You could easily shatter a diamond just by smacking it with a regular old hammer! Sure, in a way, that's still impressive for an animal using its own horn, but not quite "murder beast on a rampage" impressive.

...But of course, this is anime, where diamond is literally one of the most powerful materials known to man, so the ACTUAL answer is just that every Pokemon is inhumanely durable, able to withstand gigatons of force and only 'faint' rather than dying horribly.

The actual actual answer is that pokedex entries are written by kids who just want to make their 'mon sound insanely bad-rear end.

"My guy's so smart he can read a whole book in one second and then explode your mind!"

"Oh yeah, well my guy can punch your guy so hard their butt will fall off and their teeth will fly into SPACE!"

"My guy's flame tail is hotter than THE SUN!"

"My guy can fly at eleventeen times the speed of sound!"

"My guy's farts are so strong they can kill fifty elephants!"

"What's an elephant?"

*shrug*

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Chamale posted:

Isn't the Fissure-using idiot in the original Pokemon Stadium a Gambler? Or is he a Juggler? I know it's one of the male chance-associated trainer classes.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

sebzilla posted:

The actual actual answer is that pokedex entries are written by kids who just want to make their 'mon sound insanely bad-rear end.

No matter how popular this response is in the fandom it is absolutely not true. There origin of the pokedex entries is a question complicated by the fact plenty of the entries are unreliable (especially after SW/SH) and the fact that their origins vary by media, but there is no piece of Pokemon media in which the origin of the Pokedex entries is ever "It's written by the kids who catch the Pokemon". Not the games, not the anime, not the manga.

Take them with a pinch of salt (or a mountain of it as needed), but know the PC is NOT writing the Pokedex.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Omnicrom posted:

No matter how popular this response is in the fandom it is absolutely not true. There origin of the pokedex entries is a question complicated by the fact plenty of the entries are unreliable (especially after SW/SH) and the fact that their origins vary by media, but there is no piece of Pokemon media in which the origin of the Pokedex entries is ever "It's written by the kids who catch the Pokemon". Not the games, not the anime, not the manga.

Take them with a pinch of salt (or a mountain of it as needed), but know the PC is NOT writing the Pokedex.

That's kind of the premise of the pokedex though? At least initially. Unless you think it writes itself, anyways. Oak sends you out saying his dream is to make a complete encyclopedia of pokemon, but he is too old to do it himself. Thus the player is making a complete encyclopedia for him.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

FoolyCharged posted:

That's kind of the premise of the pokedex though? At least initially. Unless you think it writes itself, anyways. Oak sends you out saying his dream is to make a complete encyclopedia of pokemon, but he is too old to do it himself. Thus the player is making a complete encyclopedia for him.

On the other hand in Gen 7 when you catch an Ultra Beast the Rotomdex's response is "What the heck is that thing? We better scan it using the Pokedex to find out!", IE you aren't writing the entry the Pokedex is set up to scan and automatically compile data on the Pokemon you catch.

Meanwhile in the anime the Pokedex is explicitly pulling up stored data. In the first episode Ash attempts to scan Ho-oh and gets told the Pokedex has no data on it. Also when he gets a new Pokedex for a new region it's because it'll have data for the Pokemon in that region.

Meanwhile in one Manga (Electric Tale of Pikachu) Ash is explicitly given a beta Pokedex update with new information in advance of general release (IE: The Pokedex is a consumer product given to trainers with pre-loaded data gain) and in the other big one (Pokemon Adventures) the Pokedexes are a big honking deal with lots of features but it also seems to be pulling up data from somewhere as there's a bit where a couple of characters have their dexes updated with the National dex.

So data from the pokedex is contradictory and where it comes from is contradictory, but at no time ever has "The kids write it themselves" been the answer.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I like the theory that it's Wikipedia. Professor Oak was ahead of his time.

(If you look closely at the Pokedex in Oak's lab in the first game, it's a physical book that presumably has digital pages or something)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I like the notion that the Pokedex is a combination of fact and folklore, with new data able to be input at any time while old data is subject to revisions and further study by the regional professor.

After all, I doubt catching a Pokemon immediately gives you literally every bit of information about it, otherwise things like the Steel type only being discovered in Gen II or the Fairy type in Gen VI make no sense.

Malah
May 18, 2015

A blind pokemon LP? This is like finding a unicorn!

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
I've always held to the theory that the player character is writing the Pokedex entries in Gen I, both because that's what the game tells you, but also because the entries sound like the stupid poo poo a ten year old would say.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

What does that say about the main character of Gen VII, then, considering what's written for the Mega Evolution forms? :ohdear:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The gen 7 models look to be in their teens, so they're clearly going through an edgy face hidden behind their :) faces.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

I once heard a theory that the Gen 7 entries were written by the Rotom in the Rotomdex and I like that one.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
This LP is cool.
Also, i like the notion that the pokedex is also what allows you to see all the grognard details about your mons, even though you can read them before you get the dex.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

serefin99 posted:

The more you know! :gifttank:

Next update tomorrow, hopefully.

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 28, 2020

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Nobody Tell Him

I think my Jigglypuff's missing. Did I trade it for something? I don't remember.

Anyway, we're off to do a mini-Pokemon safari. In addition to Serf, I shuffle my Abra and Spearow into the lineup for leveling purposes.

I played this session while watching old Twilight Zone episodes, so the Lavender theme remains appropriate.

Tree vanquished. Let's see what we can see.

Meowths. Pidgeys. Meh.

On the other hand, it looks like we can finally catch one of these!

Eventually. I keep accidentally flattening them, and while you slowly plink away at them, they have a chance of roaring at you and chasing your guys away.

Around this time I start wondering how my Pidgey's doing. My Spearow's definitely behind on the leveling curve, but I really should level the Pidgey too.

But my Pidgey's mysteriously gone! I can't find it anywhere!

Also there's my Jigglypuff. How the hell did she get in there?

Anyway, this is bugging the hell out of me. Where did my Pidgey go? Did I trade it?

In resignation I capture another one. I call it OtherPidgy. It's a lame name, but I'm feeling a bit out of sorts due to not knowing where my Pokemon w---

Yep, it was in my party the whole time. This is because I'm an idiot.

That's how I spent my evening, thread. How was yours?

Let's just find an excuse never to talk about this again. Hey look, mutation!

It's less impressive given that Kaz beat us to it.

This will be welcome, though. I can't believe Abra doesn't learn ANY attacks until it evolves.

Uh. Okay, this got disturbing. So what, all the Abras are mutant people? Is Kadabra like the Thing, and one day you'll just wake up and you'll be Kadabra even though you never suspected anything was wrong?

Oh, well. Being able to do this is a nice change.

It still takes us a couple tries to capture a Growlithe, though.

Chaosfeather posted:

Although not in the tower, if you run into a good boy or girl pupperoni sometime soon I request you name them Daigoro

I discovered later in the episode that there's another one that might also fit the bill, so we might need to visit the Name Rater to clear this up later. (Also, I'm trying to get the reference and Lone Wolf and Cub is all I can think of.)

Anyway, with that business out of the way, let's go through the tunnel.

Remembering the north-south bypass I tried using the Item Finder all along here, but nothing. The game trolls me again.

:doh:

The underground passage takes us here, right next to Celadon. I was expecting another army of Trainers to beat my way through, but we're literally like ten feet away, in a nice change of pace. I walked around the grass for a bit, but didn't see anything new. On to a new city!

...It's probably not a good sign when bad guys are strutting around in the open as you enter the town.

I was expecting a fight, but we just get some more two-bit gangster bluster.

It's an uphill ride on CYCLING ROAD, so I'm exhausted.

If you rode uphill to get here, I guess it's all downhill for us, then!

Is this going to become relevant soon?

It evolved from a POLIWHIRL when I used a WATER STONE.

I don't even have a Poliwog. Hopefully I can buy a better fishing rod somewhere soon.

The town is littered with these billboards advertising products available at the Celadon Department Store.

It's a known fact that a city can only have one mansion in them, and hence "Celadon Mansion" is a proper name. It checks out, I guess. The guy next to it is blocking the way, but we can talk to him.

:v: This nice old lady in the MANSION gave me some TEA. But it was boiling hot! Gotta cool it to drink it.

Continuing west along the main drag, we come to the department store. We'll check this out in a bit.

It's usually nice, but it breathes poison when it's angry.

Dare I ask what a rainbow dream is?

:nallears: That's why the new GAME CORNER is bad for our city's image.

Remember, Winners Don't Play Games.

This is the square south of the department store. There's nothing to the west except the exit, so we'll keep looking around.

Okay, the game corner is run by Team Rocket, and the old man next to it bemoans losing all his money there. So it's a Game(bling) Corner full of Game(ble)rs. Got it. Either way, we're skipping over it for now. I hate casinos in video games.

:awesome: Someone stole our SILPH SCOPE. The thief came running this way, I'm sure of it. But I lost sight of him! Where'd he go?

Our path to the east comes to a stop at the nerd here. There's that Silph Scope again.

Geography can probably get a bit confusing from looking at my screenshots, so a quick overview: Celadon is basically a series of horizontal streets. The one we entered on has the Pokecenter, Celadon Mansion, and department store; the next one to the south has the gambling den. The next next one to the south has this guy. Saitama he ain't.

The end of that third street leads up to this tree from an earlier screenshot.

Right next to No-Punch Man is another cuttable tree...

...which leads all the way around to the Celadon Gym! It's easily the most impressive-looking one we've seen thus far. We're giving it a pass for the moment.

Not least because it's got this creep outside of it.

Our next adversary, I presume.

One of the buildings next to the One-Punch Man wannabe has this restaurant, where everybody wants to talk about the Game Corner.

:shepspends: No more slots for me! I'm going straight! Here! I won't be needing this anymore!

I'm getting bad flashbacks to playing Keno against Mr. Nandi in Shin Megami Tensei.

None of the restaurant staff seems very interested in serving us. On to the next house.

At first I thought the two Rocket thugs were shaking the old guy down...

:ninja: CHIEF! We just shipped two thousand more POKEMON as slot prizes again today!

:ninja: Don't touch the poster at the GAME CORNER! There's no secret switch behind it!

...But no, it's Uncle Pennybags' lair. Let's go back outside.

I have no idea how to get over that pond to get to the other evil old guy.

At the northernmost edge of the town, there's an Ether, but nobody else of interest.

The Celadon Mansion is next. It's pretty swanky on the inside.

:j: Have this instead!

...What do you want to bet this is what you need to get by the cops and get into Saffron?

The mansion has multiple floors. The second one is empty, although the sign here indicates that we're in the home of... the game developers?

No, instead they're on the third floor.

:heysexy: I like MISTY a lot, too! Oh, and SABRINA, I like her!

:blush:

No other comment here, I guess "I'm the programmer" is supposed to speak for itself.

:v: Filling up your POKEDEX is tough, but don't quit! When you finish, come tell me!

I'm not going to fill up the Pokedex, sorry.

The mansion's rooftop is a dead end, but there's an entire section that's walled off from us.

The northernmost path in town has a back entrance. I'm sure the old lady won't mind our letting ourselves in.

:smug:

Mr. Know-it-all doesn't actually tell us that much.

The blackboard is just tips for online play, useless to us.

Looking at the Pokeball he has on display leads to us yoinking it unprompted. We're felons now.

Well, whatever, we've got us an Eevee.

Why would you evolve a Pokemon with that face? :3:

Next on the list is the department store, famous for its vending machines. Its architect was in direct competition with the guy who designed the Celadon Mansion, so it also has multiple floors, the first of which has nothing of use.

The second floor has stores selling a bunch of TMs.

The third floor is where you buy, uh, TV games.

And where you go to get the fourth wall broken.

:j: Not done yet? How about I teach you a good move? The move I have in mind is COUNTER. Not like the one I'm leaning on, mind you!

As usual, I'm skipping it.

:saddowns: Huh? HAUNTER turned into a different POKEMON while being traded!

That seems like a dick move, considering how rare some of these Pokemon are.

Fourth floor is... evolution stones?

:v: You can run away while the wild POKEMON is distracted.

Also a doll shop.

I'll have to figure out what to do with these stones eventually, but it looks like I can come back and buy them later.

The fifth floor has a store for :catdrugs:

Aaaand the roof has vending machines for perfectly ordinary drinks, which you'll want after trudging all the way up there.

:mad: But she's so immature, she drives me nuts!

I guess this must be the little sister. The game prompts you to give her a drink from the vending machine...

Which gets us another TM.

Meh. I'm not a fan of shopping anyway. There's still the gambling den and the gym to go. But instead I'm going to check out Route 16 to the west, since I've already been advised that we're not going to get very far.

Quelle surprise.

One cuttable tree later, we have access to another grass patch...

Where we meet this funny-looking thing.

After a couple attempts we manage to ball it up.

No idea what to call this one, so I had to improvise again.

"We're in love and we show it, by assaulting passersby together!"

Uh. Huh. This might be trickier than expected.

Well, not really. Aznable is overleveled enough that even fumbling around using fire attacks on a Pokemon that absorbs them doesn't really cause us any trouble.

A few bites and wingbeats later, we come out on top.

Another relationship successfully ruined! :toot:

Or... not? Hmm. Well, good luck, kids.

The next building just has this old guy...

And on the other side of it, we have a view of the biker convention. Let's see what's in this last building.

:ssh: Please don't tell anyone I'm here. I'll make it up to you with this!

She gives us another HM!

Man, if only I had a Spearow. Or a Pidgey.

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 31, 2020

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I don't know which is sillier: getting one cup of tea to share with all four guards, or buying one bottle of water from a vending machine (as you did in the original games). They changed it to the free tea because a kid could lose all his money in the casino, become unable to afford the ₱200 water, and become trapped forever.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Seyser Koze posted:

I discovered later in the episode that there's another one that might also fit the bill, so we might need to visit the Name Rater to clear this up later. (Also, I'm trying to get the reference and Lone Wolf and Cub is all I can think of.)
:sun: You're mostly correct! It's a reference to Lone Wolf and Cub and also a reference to a summon in FFX, which has a pet foo dog it uses named Daigoro. That pup is also named after Lone Wolf and Cub!

Thank you, by the way. If you need to change it that's fine, I'm super happy with this.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Chamale posted:

I don't know which is sillier: getting one cup of tea to share with all four guards, or buying one bottle of water from a vending machine (as you did in the original games). They changed it to the free tea because a kid could lose all his money in the casino, become unable to afford the ₱200 water, and become trapped forever.

They also changed it to a key item, so you can't give it to a Pokemon to hold, trade to somewhere earlier in the game, sequence break and get stuck or something.

Ostensibly. The problem with that is that the game doesn't really have a sequence after beating Misty, anyway, so it's kind of a moot point either way. Yeah, you could then use it before beating Misty if you wanted to, but that's not much of a difference overall if you think about it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Chamale posted:

I always pictured it as one of those Thermoses (Thermosi?) filled with tea. Either that or the guards are a hivemind and just endlessly repeat what any one of them is feeling, meaning you just have to give one of them tea and then all of them are suddenly satiated. The girl at the top level of the department store "replaces" the guards as the main use of the vending machines (although some of the drinks are fairly potent healing items; IIRC even Fresh Water is like a Super Potion for like 1/10 the cost), and I think the TM you get is determined by what you give her, and you can hand her all three drinks in quick succession to get each TM.

Also I don't think you could get softlocked from by the guards, even in the original Gen 1? At the very least, it would be pretty difficult. You'd have to lose all your money, have no sellable items, have no trainers left to fight anywhere up to Celadon, have no Pokeballs, and not have a Meowth. You can still backtrack from Celadon through the tunnel, you just can't go onwards without a drink. Having the tea be a free key item is definitely the better way to do it, but I doubt many kids managed to render their RBY save files unsalvageable due to not having enough money to buy a bottle of water.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
It's even less possible in these remakes because you have the Vs. Seeker.
Though Fuscsia City has another potential money stonewall if you aren't careful.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

MR. J posted:

It's even less possible in these remakes because you have the Vs. Seeker.
Though Fuscsia City has another potential money stonewall if you aren't careful.

They actually fixed that in Yellow. In that version you can always get in by spending all your remaining money, but the number of safari balls you receive is proportional to how much you spend. If you have nothing you only get a single ball, but the step limit is never reduced so there's nothing stopping you from getting the HM.

I don't believe that feature is in FR/LG because the Vs. Seeker renders the problem moot.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Seyser Koze posted:

:saddowns: Huh? HAUNTER turned into a different POKEMON while being traded!

That seems like a dick move, considering how rare some of these Pokemon are.

It's not as bad as you think! Haunter just evolves if you trade it; it doesn't get replaced by something completely unrelated. Unfortunately something you're training up also evolves like this:Kadabra. You'd need to trade it with another copy of the game if you wanted that particular Pokemon.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

There's four Pokemon in Gen I that evolve via trading like that. The other two are Graveler and Machoke.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Epicmissingno posted:

It's not as bad as you think! Haunter just evolves if you trade it; it doesn't get replaced by something completely unrelated. Unfortunately something you're training up also evolves like this:Kadabra. You'd need to trade it with another copy of the game if you wanted that particular Pokemon.
Fortunately, Kadabra's quite good enough to take you through the game on its own, it doesn't really need an evolution to know how to rock.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Go back to the little girl and give her one of each vending machine drink, she gives you a TM for the first one of each you give her. In fact, get a bunch of lemonades from there. Those are probably the best healing item you can get until buyable items that heal 120 in the Pokemon shops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

My favourite part of blind LPs and streams: when people try to make them not blind by micromanaging the player.